Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1231263 times)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #4440 on: November 16, 2015, 11:24:31 pm »

Oh this will please you then. ;
Just give the money to young writers and filmmakers and be a bit more adventurous.

Just finished Michaela Coens Chewing Gum. thought it was really good... the opposite of To the Manor Born in the sense that it's  set on a council estate - rude, gritty/earthy but genuinely funny at times.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #4441 on: November 16, 2015, 11:27:13 pm »
Catastrophe funniest thing on TV at the moment.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4442 on: November 16, 2015, 11:39:47 pm »
I was going to post about this later...ta la-I think it looks awful and I didn't want everyones opprobrium lumped on me for throwing it up  ;). ;D
haha I had a check of the last few pages to see if you'd mentioned it. Was wondering why you'd missed it. ;D

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #4443 on: November 16, 2015, 11:56:14 pm »
With Bob and David - Netflix = Fkin awesome - Brilliant, hilarious

Bob Odenkirk is a 100% genuine genius and a brilliant actor as is David Cross

Very very very funny - there isn't much that makes me laugh out loud but I sat and binge the shit out of this tonight

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:17:32 am by Igor Tripod Biscan »
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4444 on: November 17, 2015, 08:46:20 am »
What are they calling it "Ready Brek" ?

hahahaha

Quality :)

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4445 on: November 17, 2015, 12:51:36 pm »
What are they calling it "Ready Brek" ?

that's so 80's though, more like "oats so simple"

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #4446 on: November 17, 2015, 01:25:36 pm »
I'll just leave this here.....Porridge will be reappear as the prison sitcom returns with modern remake. The prison sitcom will focus on Fletcher’s grandson, after he is jailed for computer hacking. Just a pilot order at the moment.

Who is making it? A lot depends on the writing, the casting, but also the production. British sit-coms have been fucking awful for a long time in the main. ITV haven't got one right in decades.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4447 on: November 17, 2015, 04:30:20 pm »

Just finished Michaela Coens Chewing Gum. thought it was really good... the opposite of To the Manor Born in the sense that it's  set on a council estate - rude, gritty/earthy but genuinely funny at times.
Thank you,thank you..thank you!!  Post of the year.   

This...I've only seen the opener is what is exactly what I meant in my post.....it's outrageously, hilariously funny and shows what can be done when new talent is given a chance. This is fresh, beautifully written,from what I've seen-and appears to have no problems with talking about sex whatsoever...and shows off a part of a city that normally is only shown in a much different light-a great representation of inner city working people.

I'm off to binge this......thanks mate...I would have missed this otherwise....much appreciated. :wave
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4448 on: November 17, 2015, 09:54:55 pm »

Cheers. Didn't think I'd like it but this post made me watch the first episode, and I laughed out loud multiple times which is pretty rare for me!

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4449 on: November 18, 2015, 08:00:58 am »
This started last night on Esquire tv and is now available on KAT.

Spotless S01E01 HDTV x264-[eSc]

Just binged watched upto episode 7 of Spotless.

Have to say is great.  A must watch.

The copies I have, have the "previously on Spotless" start in French, then the show is in English.  Except for the flash backs to childhood and when they receive text messages.   Strange.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #4450 on: November 18, 2015, 10:07:46 am »
Are there any 720p available ones for Spotless? Haven't found anything.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4451 on: November 18, 2015, 01:14:41 pm »
Are there any 720p available ones for Spotless? Haven't found anything.
Did you look on IPT....coz it's been available in 720 there since March.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #4452 on: November 18, 2015, 01:20:00 pm »
Did you look on IPT....coz it's been available in 720 there since March.

Yeah mate. Found it on IPT, just forgot to come back and edit my post. I had originally searched on KAT only where there wasn't any available. Thanks.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4453 on: November 18, 2015, 01:30:21 pm »
Yeah mate. Found it on IPT, just forgot to come back and edit my post. I had originally searched on KAT only where there wasn't any available. Thanks.
;)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4454 on: November 18, 2015, 01:32:11 pm »
Who is making it? A lot depends on the writing, the casting, but also the production. British sit-coms have been fucking awful for a long time in the main. ITV haven't got one right in decades.
I don't know. All I know is the BBC have asked the original writers to do a one off episode.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4455 on: November 18, 2015, 01:41:28 pm »
I might have agreed with this before last night...in the UK that is...that's more a reflection on me....I don't really watch UK tv....but as I said earlier this year, Catastrophe was funny....in a similar vein to Horgan's earlier works...but still worth a watch

Having watched the whole series of Chewing Gum yesterday evening....Catastrophe isn't remotely as funny as Chewing Gum. I was screaming laughing several times during each episode out loud-it's very reminiscent of the earlier seasons of Shameless....a must watch and the best new comedy series I've seen this year.

Any comedy that has the line.."I have to say I'm partial to a bit of c*nt" in it can only be lauded.  Brilliant series.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4456 on: November 18, 2015, 07:37:57 pm »
The Bastard Executioner cancelled after 1 season. No surprise really.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #4457 on: November 18, 2015, 08:13:15 pm »
I might have agreed with this before last night...in the UK that is...that's more a reflection on me....I don't really watch UK tv....but as I said earlier this year, Catastrophe was funny....in a similar vein to Horgan's earlier works...but still worth a watch

Having watched the whole series of Chewing Gum yesterday evening....Catastrophe isn't remotely as funny as Chewing Gum. I was screaming laughing several times during each episode out loud-it's very reminiscent of the earlier seasons of Shameless....a must watch and the best new comedy series I've seen this year.

Any comedy that has the line.."I have to say I'm partial to a bit of c*nt" in it can only be lauded.  Brilliant series.

Will be catching up on  Chewing Gum on Iplayer when I get time, looking forward to it, trailers look great..

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4458 on: November 18, 2015, 08:38:22 pm »
The Bastard Executioner cancelled after 1 season. No surprise really.

Booooooo. Ive just got the last episode to watch and Ive quite enjoyed it as it went on.

No surprise though I agree. A TV program has to get the viewers in the first episode or the second episode at the latest to keep them watching.

I reckon loads including yourself gave up with it after the first couple.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4459 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:12 pm »
Booooooo. Ive just got the last episode to watch and Ive quite enjoyed it as it went on.

No surprise though I agree. A TV program has to get the viewers in the first episode or the second episode at the latest to keep them watching.

I got to the 3rd episode and after that just couldn't get into it.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4460 on: November 18, 2015, 09:03:54 pm »

;D

From an interview today...... He’ll soon start the process of hiring a Latino showrunner who’ll spearhead the Sons spinoff that focuses on the Mayan biker club.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/bastard-executioner-canceled-kurt-sutter-fx-sons-of-anarchy-spinoff-mayan-1201628484/

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4461 on: November 19, 2015, 10:04:09 am »
Just finished Spotless wow great show.  Good series end that hope they make another.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4462 on: November 19, 2015, 12:21:34 pm »
Enjoyed the first of spotless.

Really digging the third series of Broen though, killing me that I can't stay up all night and watch the whole thing. 6 episodes in, so brilliant. Hate Saga's new boss with the massive fod, what a massive bitch.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4463 on: November 19, 2015, 11:25:06 pm »
Started watching The Man In The High Castle on Amazon Prime the other night.  It is really good so far.  Basically, the plot line is, that the Nazis and Japanese won WW2.  It is set in the US in the 1960s, and it isn't exactly a nice place to live.  The main character finds some film, that is showing what the would would have been like if the allies had won.  But she is convinced there is more to this film, and it is actually showing some kind of alternate reality, of what the world SHOULD be like.  And goes on a quest to find out more.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hzz_6dmv03I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hzz_6dmv03I</a>

I found your post after reading this review in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/20/arts/television/review-the-man-in-the-high-castle-imagines-america-ruled-by-2-foreign-powers.html?hpw&rref=television&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Looks fascinating. I assume you've watched more of it. How has it been?
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4464 on: November 20, 2015, 07:32:23 am »
Looks fascinating. I assume you've watched more of it. How has it been?
That episode was a pilot. The series funnily enough starts today.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=319378.new#new

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #4465 on: November 20, 2015, 11:56:56 am »
I have seen the first 3 episodes of Spotless. More than decent. Jean's brother easily steals the show.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4466 on: November 20, 2015, 12:09:17 pm »
I have seen the first 3 episodes of Spotless. More than decent. Jean's brother easily steals the show.

Yeah Martin is brill isn't he. The type of guy you want as a mate :)

Its the old favorite storyline of 2 brothers who couldn't be further apart in the their lifestyle and characters but it still works beautifully from both sides.

The bad guys in this series are all fucking brilliant too and there are quite a few of them.

Last 2 episodes for me over the weekend.

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite
« Reply #4467 on: November 20, 2015, 03:36:17 pm »
Would like to thank whoever suggested Kingdom in here last year. Easily my most anticipated weekly show atm.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4468 on: November 20, 2015, 03:59:46 pm »
Would like to thank whoever suggested Kingdom in here last year. Easily my most anticipated weekly show atm.
I take it this season has been as good-I'm waiting till the whole season is up.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #4469 on: November 20, 2015, 09:48:08 pm »
Hugely disappointed with season 2 of You're the Worst...what was the freshest, snappiest comedy on TV has slumped into a rather irritating  portrayal of depression and dysfunction...just not buying Gretchen's rapid descent into gun-toting nihilism - and its such a waste of a great, sassy, sexy character ....the writer would probably argue that he wanted to delve deeper into the psyche of the two main protagonists, but to be honest I think he's just run out of jokes..
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4470 on: November 20, 2015, 10:57:30 pm »
Hugely disappointed with season 2 of You're the Worst...what was the freshest, snappiest comedy on TV has slumped into a rather irritating  portrayal of depression and dysfunction...just not buying Gretchen's rapid descent into gun-toting nihilism - and its such a waste of a great, sassy, sexy character ....the writer would probably argue that he wanted to delve deeper into the psyche of the two main protagonists, but to be honest I think he's just run out of jokes..
Sadly, got to agree. Binge watched the first series. Couldn't wait to get rid of S2E1. Assume it doesn't get any better.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4471 on: November 20, 2015, 10:59:03 pm »
Guilty pleasure? You, me and the Apocalypse. Anyone else watching?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4472 on: November 21, 2015, 08:28:11 am »

This cat.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4473 on: November 21, 2015, 08:35:42 am »
Sadly, got to agree. Binge watched the first series. Couldn't wait to get rid of S2E1. Assume it doesn't get any better.
No, for me it's still good....it's just taken a massive step away from being about the dynamic that made the hilarious show we saw in season one.

It's not as funny-still has more moments than most supposed comedies though. Cash's portrayal of a Gretchen as a manic depressive is really good-but her being that means there's not a lot of laughs to be had from Jimmy and Gretchen's situation.

As I said last year, the sidekick's stories are as funny and have now been expanded upon in season two to make up for the lack of comedy in Gretchen's illness.

Not as funny as the first-but still funny enough and actually more interesting as we find out where the journey will take Jimmy and Gretchen.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #4474 on: November 21, 2015, 10:08:40 am »
Hardly a spoiler from Spotless but anyway

Spoiler
Jean from Spotless has some babe on the side. She is stunning.
[close]

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4475 on: November 21, 2015, 10:29:26 am »
No, for me it's still good....it's just taken a massive step away from being about the dynamic that made the hilarious show we saw in season one.

It's not as funny-still has more moments than most supposed comedies though. Cash's portrayal of a Gretchen as a manic depressive is really good-but her being that means there's not a lot of laughs to be had from Jimmy and Gretchen's situation.

As I said last year, the sidekick's stories are as funny and have now been expanded upon in season two to make up for the lack of comedy in Gretchen's illness.

Not as funny as the first-but still funny enough and actually more interesting as we find out where the journey will take Jimmy and Gretchen.
Cheers dave , I'll persevere... [emoji1]

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #4476 on: November 21, 2015, 04:08:24 pm »
Series 3 of the Bridge on BBC4 tonight, for those of us refusing to put money in Murdoch's pockets. Not sure if I have seen the 1st or 2nd series (seen one or the other), will have to check after the match, then cram it in the week.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #4477 on: November 21, 2015, 04:12:07 pm »
Series 3 of the Bridge on BBC4 tonight, for those of us refusing to put money in Murdoch's pockets. Not sure if I have seen the 1st or 2nd series (seen one or the other), will have to check after the match, then cram it in the week.
is that the US version?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4478 on: November 21, 2015, 04:23:06 pm »
is that the US version?
Nah its the proper one

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #4479 on: November 21, 2015, 04:34:40 pm »

Same for me gunslinger, although I had my reservations even during the first season. I actively hate it now, or rather I hate the characters and have no interest in watching them or what they do. I know a lot of people in here enjoyed it a lot, so I have just kind of kept my thoughts to myself, but it is right near the bottom of the things I watch in terms of enjoyment. And no, I don't know why I watch things that I hate or that wind me up. It's just what I do.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"