Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12263516 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #101560 on: June 13, 2020, 12:12:52 pm »
If we don’t sign anyone I don’t think Wilson is going out on loan, Curtis Jones is a midfielder, Elliot is a big talent but none of the two have done anything in their careers to assert they are better wide players than Wilson, which is where most of their games will come.

Shaqiri is more likely to leave which means I hardly see us relying on a 17 year old wide forward who actually has some of the same limitations as Wilson, when we’ve got one who’s had three seasons at Championship and PL level.

Well....they’re 4 and 6 years younger than Wilson respectively so you’d hope Wilson had shown more in his career so far! But it seems pretty clear which two of the three are seen as having a big future here, which is why they’ve both played a lot more for the club than Harry.

If Shaq dies leave, along with Lallana obviously, I’d imagine some of their minutes would end up shared between Elliott and Jones and we may look to bring in another attacker. Possibly supplemented by any fee we could get for Wilson if there’s interest in a permanent deal this autumn.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #101561 on: June 13, 2020, 12:18:49 pm »
Well....they’re 4 and 6 years younger than Wilson respectively so you’d hope Wilson had shown more in his career so far! But it seems pretty clear which two of the three are seen as having a big future here, which is why they’ve both played a lot more for the club than Harry.

If Shaq dies leave, along with Lallana obviously, I’d imagine some of their minutes would end up shared between Elliott and Jones and we may look to bring in another attacker. Possibly supplemented by any fee we could get for Wilson if there’s interest in a permanent deal this autumn.

That’s a simple way to sum it up, different reasons why they’ve got more minutes, Chirivella has got more minutes this season also and he is off to Nantes. At Wilson’s point in his career he couldn’t really afford to play the 2-3 games Elliot or Jones has for Liverpool, instead he’s gone on loan and got 20 games or so, this is really the biggest reason for your last point.

They do have bigger futures but I’m talking about the immediate season and their current levels not 3-4 years from now, as of now neither are better wide players than Wilson, not unless he pushes for it himself I think he will be here next season, if we get another attacker(which it seems we won’t) that will change.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101562 on: June 13, 2020, 12:45:23 pm »
That’s a simple way to sum it up, different reasons why they’ve got more minutes, Chirivella has got more minutes this season also and he is off to Nantes. At Wilson’s point in his career he couldn’t really afford to play the 2-3 games Elliot or Jones has for Liverpool, instead he’s gone on loan and got 20 games or so, this is really the biggest reason for your last point.

They do have bigger futures but I’m talking about the immediate season and their current levels not 3-4 years from now, as of now neither are better wide players than Wilson, not unless he pushes for it himself I think he will be here next season, if we get another attacker(which it seems we won’t) that will change.

We’re in a position where we can probably afford to give minutes to our most promising youngsters for the rest of this season, and next. It’s unfortunate but it’s just the way Wilson’s career has gone that he’s really not in that list anymore. We have Brewster, Jones and Elliott who are all far younger and would appear to have a higher ‘ceiling’. This season was a great opportunity for Wilson to show his true level, and he has. And it’s a good level, but not really one good enough for us. He’s shown he’s got excellent dead ball ability and a knack for scoring from midfield which is obviously a very good thing, but he’s really not shown the all round game in any of his loan spells which would suggest he’d be particularly useful in backing up any position for us.

If Harvey Elliott was playing for another PL club at 17 and putting in the same sort of cameos I’d imagine we’d be quite envious. If Harry wasn’t our player I can’t imagine, at 23, many people would be looking at him as a future signing. He’ll be essentially starting his Liverpool career at the same age as Naby Keita was and a year younger than Sadio and he’s just shown nowhere near enough to suggest he’d get a decent amount of football here. Or that it’d be worth giving him a few minutes over kids like Elliott or Jones (or even some of the ones not near the first team yet).

It’s a ruthless business at the very top and exciting youngsters have pretty small windows of opportunity. It’d be nice to see him have the same sort of career trajectory as someone like Gulácsi but it seems very unlikely he’ll achieve that here.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101563 on: June 13, 2020, 12:46:34 pm »
cain have flown under the radar a bit. he played vs shrewsbury in the cup as well

what kind of player is he?

seems like we are stacked with youth players making the step up to seniors. Curtis Jones, Elliot, Glatzel, Neco, Larouchi and Hoever are just some names that needs looking out for the future.

I think he is the best CM we have in the younger age groups from what I’ve seen, lovely touch, can dribble out of tight situations, can both score and assist, really can strike the ball as well pretty much a near perfect playmaker at that level. I forgot how many goal contributions he’s had this season but he is definitely one of the more productive players at u18-21 age groups. His standout attribute though is by far his passing, already one of the better passers in the whole club, I stand by this point, whether he makes the step up would be dependent on a few things but I think he has as good of a chance as anybody not named Jones or Elliot.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101564 on: June 13, 2020, 12:53:17 pm »
We’re in a position where we can probably afford to give minutes to our most promising youngsters for the rest of this season, and next. It’s unfortunate but it’s just the way Wilson’s career has gone that he’s really not in that list anymore. We have Brewster, Jones and Elliott who are all far younger and would appear to have a higher ‘ceiling’. This season was a great opportunity for Wilson to show his true level, and he has. And it’s a good level, but not really one good enough for us. He’s shown he’s got excellent dead ball ability and a knack for scoring from midfield which is obviously a very good thing, but he’s really not shown the all round game in any of his loan spells which would suggest he’d be particularly useful in backing up any position for us.

If Harvey Elliott was playing for another PL club at 17 and putting in the same sort of cameos I’d imagine we’d be quite envious. If Harry wasn’t our player I can’t imagine, at 23, many people would be looking at him as a future signing. He’ll be essentially starting his Liverpool career at the same age as Naby Keita was and a year younger than Sadio and he’s just shown nowhere near enough to suggest he’d get a decent amount of football here. Or that it’d be worth giving him a few minutes over kids like Elliott or Jones (or even some of the ones not near the first team yet).

It’s a ruthless business at the very top and exciting youngsters have pretty small windows of opportunity. It’d be nice to see him have the same sort of career trajectory as someone like Gulácsi but it seems very unlikely he’ll achieve that here.

Why do you think Brewster has a higher ceiling because his younger? Remember Wilson was about a year older than him when he was at Hull and undoubtedly one of the best players in the championship?

This is where you and I differ, I’ve seen his got a good all round game from watching him over here, he fades in and out of games, but he can dribble and he can pass all to a good level.

When watching players in lower teams sometimes unless the player is a Rooney like world beater it’s hard to get the full picture, I’ve mentioned the likes of Shaqiri in the past who’ve adapted from playing with lesser teams and showing a higher level once he’s come here, Origi also.

Wilson incidentally is top 10 for chances created through throughballs with only a handful of players ahead of him, he has scored 7 goals in the league this season, which would have him ahead of all our players except from our front three, two things he has shown is , he can pass especially in regards to creating a chance, and he can shoot, his overall game should be elevated playing with our squad but who’s to know? What I do know is that even at our stage, not every player on our squad is a world class player, there is obviously room for players who aren’t a Salah Mane or TAA, this is something Klopp in particular has shown us.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101565 on: June 13, 2020, 01:09:40 pm »
Why do you think Brewster has a higher ceiling because his younger? Remember Wilson was about a year older than him when he was at Hull and undoubtedly one of the best players in the championship?

This is where you and I differ, I’ve seen his got a good all round game from watching him over here, he fades in and out of games, but he can dribble and he can pass all to a good level.

When watching players in lower teams sometimes unless the player is a Rooney like world beater it’s hard to get the full picture, I’ve mentioned the likes of Shaqiri in the past who’ve adapted from playing with lesser teams and showing a higher level once he’s come here, Origi also.

Wilson incidentally is top 10 for chances created through throughballs with only a handful of players ahead of him, he has scored 7 goals in the league this season, which would have him ahead of all our players except from our front three, two things he has shown is , he can pass especially in regards to creating a chance, and he can shoot, his overall game should be elevated playing with our squad but who’s to know? What I do know is that even at our stage, not every player on our squad is a world class player, there is obviously room for players who aren’t a Salah Mane or TAA, this is something Klopp in particular has shown us.

Yep, and they’re good stats for a good solid PL attacker. The through balls stat has him level with the likes of Walcott and Iwobi, and his goals just behind Jordan Ayew and just ahead Harvey Barnes. All decent PL players and absolutely nothing to be ashamed of being at that level.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101566 on: June 13, 2020, 01:55:43 pm »
Yep, and they’re good stats for a good solid PL attacker. The through balls stat has him level with the likes of Walcott and Iwobi, and his goals just behind Jordan Ayew and just ahead Harvey Barnes. All decent PL players and absolutely nothing to be ashamed of being at that level.

Totally disagree. I highly rate Jones and Elliott but if we are not going to buy in the summer then keeping Wilson is a no brainer. Due to covid I doubt we will get the 30m we want for him now and we might as well keep him for a year and have him as back up.

I feel the 5 subs will continue into next season and he will get game time.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #101567 on: June 13, 2020, 02:03:21 pm »

Aren't the 5 subs to alleviate any fitness issues from the players having a random 2 month break in the middle of a season? Why would they carry that on next season?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101568 on: June 13, 2020, 02:06:14 pm »
Aren't the 5 subs to alleviate any fitness issues from the players having a random 2 month break in the middle of a season? Why would they carry that on next season?

Yeah but I also think it's due to Covid 19 being about. Remember if a player gets it then it's 7-10 days out.

I think it will stay next season.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #101569 on: June 13, 2020, 02:08:39 pm »
Yeah but I also think it's due to Covid 19 being about. Remember if a player gets it then it's 7-10 days out.

I think it will stay next season.

How does a player getting it change the need to allow 2 extra subs during a game?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101570 on: June 13, 2020, 02:12:43 pm »
Totally disagree. I highly rate Jones and Elliott but if we are not going to buy in the summer then keeping Wilson is a no brainer. Due to covid I doubt we will get the 30m we want for him now and we might as well keep him for a year and have him as back up.

Why might we as well keep him? If he’s going to get very little game time here next season (which seems likely) that’s hardly going to help his value when we try to sell him next summer as opposed to another season at a lower/mid table club doing pretty well.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101571 on: June 13, 2020, 02:20:43 pm »
Why might we as well keep him? If he’s going to get very little game time here next season (which seems likely) that’s hardly going to help his value when we try to sell him next summer as opposed to another season at a lower/mid table club doing pretty well.

Because we won't be going out and buying. Keeping Grujic and Harry Wilson makes perfect sense. We have plenty of games. A virus is knocking about. ACN is still happening.

It's not just about 11 players.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101572 on: June 13, 2020, 02:27:36 pm »
Because we won't be going out and buying. Keeping Grujic and Harry Wilson makes perfect sense. We have plenty of games. A virus is knocking about. ACN is still happening.

It's not just about 11 players.

Who says we won’t be going out and buying...?

And it may well be that it’s more sensible to loan Wilson out again so his wages are paid and maybe a loan fee too, rather than keep him for a very small amount of games. It looks likely that the ACN will be postponed and I remains to be seen what the domestic cup competitions look like. It’d be a shame if someone like Harry was to take away opportunities of far more promising youngsters, and it seems very unlikely considering how the manager has (not) used him so far

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101573 on: June 13, 2020, 02:34:19 pm »
Who says we won’t be going out and buying...?

And it may well be that it’s more sensible to loan Wilson out again so his wages are paid and maybe a loan fee too, rather than keep him for a very small amount of games. It looks likely that the ACN will be postponed and I remains to be seen what the domestic cup competitions look like. It’d be a shame if someone like Harry was to take away opportunities of far more promising youngsters, and it seems very unlikely considering how the manager has (not) used him so far

Why will he take away any opportunities mate? Elliott will be playing plenty of games as I said before. Jones will be replacing Lallana and if Shaq leaves then Wilson will be replacing him. Brewster will more than likely go out on loan again.

We won't be going out and spending big in the market. We were going to Furlough our staff and we want to improve Anfield. The Covid 19 will give Wilson and maybe Grujic the opportunities they deserve. Wilson has done everything Klopp has asked and Klopp is in contact with him often.

I highly rate Jones, Elliott, Clarkson, Cain, Williams, Brewster, Hoever and it's important they play games. It's not as important for Wilson and Grujic to play because they're further ahead in there development. Them two being back won't stop their development. All still will train with the first team and I think Jones will feature a fair bit next season in the 1st.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:51:25 pm by Fordy »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #101574 on: June 13, 2020, 03:17:13 pm »
There are interesting prospects everywhere. I found the under 18's a really exciting team to watch this season such a shame that the season was brought to an early finish, though of course understandable. I am wondering who will be the next one moving up and training with the first team regulars. I was always impressed with Tom Hill when I watched him. He's a good box to box midfielder and he's had an impressive step up into the under 23's as well. That is what's impressed me about a number of players who have made a step up and have not taken long to adapt. It will be interesting to see if that remains to be the case next season.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #101575 on: June 14, 2020, 12:52:18 am »
Thanks for the responses about Wilson -- been stumped why he hasn't been given more chances considering he has been solid to v good wherever he went.
in theory what positions would you/could you feasibly play the youngsters in if they played in the first team?.

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #101576 on: June 15, 2020, 04:47:49 pm »
I too like Harry Wilson. One thing he has in abundance that he would benefit from playing with Liverpool as opposed to Bournemouth is loads of intelligence and vision. I saw someone comparing him to Mane at the same age in the PL and while Wilson isn't as dynamic or athletic as Mane, his numbers are not that far off playing for a much worse Bournemouth than the Southampton that Mane was integrated into.

I don't expect Wilson to explode or become a Mane like player, but I think he could be a useful back-up and is a very smart player. If he's comfortable fighting for a spot on the team with other rotational/back-up players I'd be happy to have him stay. I personally thought we should have kept him instead of signing Shaq in the first place; I think he's better. Keep in mind that as much as people rave about Mason Mount this season playing with Chelsea's set-up...Wilson was the better player when they were on the same team just a season ago with Derby. There's a vast difference between Chelsea and Bournemouth though.

As for Elliott and Jones...they're top drawer talents. I hope they get minutes but they're not going to be super impact players yet at the PL level. They will still need to be integrated slowly and brought along at the right pace with the right training/coaching. Wilson is at the point where he can be relied upon a little more and we can see what he's really made of.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #101577 on: June 16, 2020, 05:09:02 pm »
New contract for Joe Hardy too.

^^ will be up ther somewhere  :D
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101578 on: June 16, 2020, 05:41:28 pm »

www.liverpoolfc.com/amp/news/academy/398664-joe-hardy-signs-new-contract-with-liverpool-fc

Didn't realise he got 7 goals in 7 games for the u23s after signing in January, I imagine this means Brewster is on loan again next season. Should at the very least mean a decent fee if someone wants to take a punt on him.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #101579 on: June 16, 2020, 05:57:39 pm »
I didn't read the article because I don't have a subscription, but James Pearce had and interview with Alex Inglethorpe:
https://theathletic.com/1868935/2020/06/14/liverpool-alex-inglethorpe-interview-neco-williams-trent-alexander-arnold-curtis-jones/?source=user-shared-article

From what I read on Twitter, he said the club has high hopes for Yasser Larouci and Neco Williams and claim they could step up as understudies for Robbo and Trent. Anyone who watched the U23 know how they like? I only saw them only in their handful first team appearances.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101580 on: June 16, 2020, 06:16:27 pm »
I didn't read the article because I don't have a subscription, but James Pearce had and interview with Alex Inglethorpe:
https://theathletic.com/1868935/2020/06/14/liverpool-alex-inglethorpe-interview-neco-williams-trent-alexander-arnold-curtis-jones/?source=user-shared-article

From what I read on Twitter, he said the club has high hopes for Yasser Larouci and Neco Williams and claim they could step up as understudies for Robbo and Trent. Anyone who watched the U23 know how they like? I only saw them only in their handful first team appearances.

My view only .... Larouci is a speed merchant with a powerful left foot.  Only moved to LB from LW 2 seasons ago and has a lot of learning to do about defending.  Not as technically good as Adam Lewis, who also gets caught out at LB, but has the pace required for recovery.  Personally I doubt he could be trusted in the PL as back up to Robertson for at least another season but could spend next season training full time with the firsts and would improve.  I think Milner is the go-to back up at LB, but Gomez can always do a job there.  Williams has an engine to get up and down the wing and is fast enough.  He is quite confident at popping up to receive passes inside or running wide and puts in decent crosses.  He is more ready to be a stand in, at least on the basis that he has played at full back for longer (but only a year or so).  He has also trained with the first team for longer, on the basis that Larouci was missing injured for a while last season.  Inglethorpe, the head of the Academy, said in a recent interview that he would expect Williams to be pressing Trent for a starting slot next season, so that is high praise.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101581 on: June 16, 2020, 06:28:28 pm »

With regular news about academy players signing new contracts - as they would be doing during the break between seasons - it is a starting indication perhaps of who is not getting a contract renewed, or is choosing to go to get more game time.   If we are heading to a gradual reduction in the numbers that can go out on loan from any club, which I think is inevitable to try and stop some clubs stockpiling the best talent and simply trying to make money on buying, developing and selling (ie Chelsea in the days they would have 30-40 players on loan), then we need to keep moving players on to allow for the new first year U18 intake.  Balagizi must be one of those being the U16 from last season who played a few times for the U18s.  I think there are also a couple of goalies in the next intake so there is going to be a lot of competition there.  Do others know more about the next group? 

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101582 on: June 16, 2020, 07:48:01 pm »
With regular news about academy players signing new contracts - as they would be doing during the break between seasons - it is a starting indication perhaps of who is not getting a contract renewed, or is choosing to go to get more game time.   If we are heading to a gradual reduction in the numbers that can go out on loan from any club, which I think is inevitable to try and stop some clubs stockpiling the best talent and simply trying to make money on buying, developing and selling (ie Chelsea in the days they would have 30-40 players on loan), then we need to keep moving players on to allow for the new first year U18 intake.  Balagizi must be one of those being the U16 from last season who played a few times for the U18s.  I think there are also a couple of goalies in the next intake so there is going to be a lot of competition there.  Do others know more about the next group?

I only know about Balagizi who looks like another special talent.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #101583 on: June 16, 2020, 08:03:02 pm »
My view only .... Larouci is a speed merchant with a powerful left foot.  Only moved to LB from LW 2 seasons ago and has a lot of learning to do about defending.  Not as technically good as Adam Lewis, who also gets caught out at LB, but has the pace required for recovery.  Personally I doubt he could be trusted in the PL as back up to Robertson for at least another season but could spend next season training full time with the firsts and would improve.  I think Milner is the go-to back up at LB, but Gomez can always do a job there.  Williams has an engine to get up and down the wing and is fast enough.  He is quite confident at popping up to receive passes inside or running wide and puts in decent crosses.  He is more ready to be a stand in, at least on the basis that he has played at full back for longer (but only a year or so).  He has also trained with the first team for longer, on the basis that Larouci was missing injured for a while last season.  Inglethorpe, the head of the Academy, said in a recent interview that he would expect Williams to be pressing Trent for a starting slot next season, so that is high praise.
Thanks a lot!

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101584 on: June 16, 2020, 08:08:47 pm »
I think we'll see more current u15s, next season u16s, stepping up. They won a national title at u13 level and have had quite a bit of england representation.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101585 on: June 16, 2020, 08:33:55 pm »

I made a point of watching all the u18s games that were on LFCTV this season. Balagizi featured a fair amount early on despite still being underage for that group and he chipped in with some goals and assists. He spent mosT of the year with Tegucigalpa u16s despite his early success.
He played as a forward and a 10 and looked very classy. He’s a big tall lad but pretty silky with the ball at his feet. He’s the highest rated 16 year old at the club and should be a fixture in the u18 side next yeard, despite not even turning 17 until late September. Could be special.

Conor Bradley (rb/rw) and Max Woltman (Forward) were the two other 16 year olds that saw a decent amount of time with the u18s. Bradley is a young Northern Irish lad who joined last year and Woltman has been here since he was a tot. Both very talented, Woltman even nipped a goal and assist in his late season cameos.

Some more names to look out for as they make the jump to u18 next season: forward Harvey Blair, midfielder Luca Stephenson (poached from Sunderland last year) and Oakley Cannonier (ball boy who gave Trent the ball for THAT quickly taken corner, also scored for the u18s as a 14 year old in a summer friendly last year amazing Burton Albion).

Going to very exciting watching the youth sides next year. I think this is the most talented homegrown batch we’ve had in a long time. With guys like clarkson, Cain, Bearne etc making the jump to u23 full time next year both the u23 and 18 sides will be young and exciting. Layton stewart will be pushing the 20 goal mark if he’s fit. Tom Hill and Tyler Morton are both energetic goal scoring midfielders who will breakout with Cain and Clarkson moving up. Excited for the future!

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101586 on: June 17, 2020, 02:38:04 pm »

knew there's a reason we didn't spunk on werner. ;D

really hoping we get to see some of youth especially curtis,elliot,neco and larouchi once we have the title in the bag. a few 10-15 minutes sub appearances would be nice.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101587 on: June 17, 2020, 04:34:41 pm »
I think we'll see more current u15s, next season u16s, stepping up. They won a national title at u13 level and have had quite a bit of england representation.

Funny you should mention the u15/16's, James Pearce answered one of my emails and admitted they are very excited about the crop coming up from that group.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101588 on: June 17, 2020, 04:46:27 pm »
I made a point of watching all the u18s games that were on LFCTV this season. Balagizi featured a fair amount early on despite still being underage for that group and he chipped in with some goals and assists. He spent mosT of the year with Tegucigalpa u16s despite his early success.
He played as a forward and a 10 and looked very classy. He’s a big tall lad but pretty silky with the ball at his feet. He’s the highest rated 16 year old at the club and should be a fixture in the u18 side next yeard, despite not even turning 17 until late September. Could be special.

Conor Bradley (rb/rw) and Max Woltman (Forward) were the two other 16 year olds that saw a decent amount of time with the u18s. Bradley is a young Northern Irish lad who joined last year and Woltman has been here since he was a tot. Both very talented, Woltman even nipped a goal and assist in his late season cameos.

Some more names to look out for as they make the jump to u18 next season: forward Harvey Blair, midfielder Luca Stephenson (poached from Sunderland last year) and Oakley Cannonier (ball boy who gave Trent the ball for THAT quickly taken corner, also scored for the u18s as a 14 year old in a summer friendly last year amazing Burton Albion).

Going to very exciting watching the youth sides next year. I think this is the most talented homegrown batch we’ve had in a long time. With guys like clarkson, Cain, Bearne etc making the jump to u23 full time next year both the u23 and 18 sides will be young and exciting. Layton stewart will be pushing the 20 goal mark if he’s fit. Tom Hill and Tyler Morton are both energetic goal scoring midfielders who will breakout with Cain and Clarkson moving up. Excited for the future!

It's going to be interesting to see where everyone falls in. Is Klopp intending the likes of Cain and Clarkson to stay with the first team squad or will they still be playing some games for the u23's still? They have the option of moving some of last years u18 up a group if C and C are staying with the first team. Tom Hill already has some experience at u23 level and Morton as well. Maybe the likes of O'Rourke/Stewart as they're a really good partnership and both have adapted pretty quickly. If its true what Pearce says about there being some real talents in the u16's they could move up to the u18's. An interesting stat about Stewart is he has now scored against the BS at every single level since he signed for the club.  ;D

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101589 on: June 17, 2020, 08:34:30 pm »
It's going to be interesting to see where everyone falls in. Is Klopp intending the likes of Cain and Clarkson to stay with the first team squad or will they still be playing some games for the u23's still? They have the option of moving some of last years u18 up a group if C and C are staying with the first team. Tom Hill already has some experience at u23 level and Morton as well. Maybe the likes of O'Rourke/Stewart as they're a really good partnership and both have adapted pretty quickly. If its true what Pearce says about there being some real talents in the u16's they could move up to the u18's. An interesting stat about Stewart is he has now scored against the BS at every single level since he signed for the club.  ;D

Did Pearce name drop anymore of those u15/16 kids in your email exchange? Curious as to who else should be on my radar in particular.
I think Cain and clarkson will train with the first team plenty next year, but they’ll be the first choice midfielders for the u23s all season imo. They should play every match at that level. There aren’t really any prospects ahead of them currently playing at u23 level, with Jones and Elliot  likely to be involved with the first team almost exclusively next year

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101590 on: June 17, 2020, 10:22:28 pm »
Did Pearce name drop anymore of those u15/16 kids in your email exchange? Curious as to who else should be on my radar in particular.
I think Cain and clarkson will train with the first team plenty next year, but they’ll be the first choice midfielders for the u23s all season imo. They should play every match at that level. There aren’t really any prospects ahead of them currently playing at u23 level, with Jones and Elliot  likely to be involved with the first team almost exclusively next year

I didn't get around to asking him about the names, I will try though.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101591 on: June 17, 2020, 11:19:53 pm »
Thanks for all the info about the youth sides everyone. I hardly ever get to watch any of their games these days, so it's nice that you keep us in the loop. Also nice that the standard of the academy sides seems to be getting gradually better. City and Chelsea seem to have had the best academies in the country for the last few years and we've lagged behind a bit. Do you think we're coming close to catching them up?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101592 on: June 17, 2020, 11:35:29 pm »
Thanks for all the info about the youth sides everyone. I hardly ever get to watch any of their games these days, so it's nice that you keep us in the loop. Also nice that the standard of the academy sides seems to be getting gradually better. City and Chelsea seem to have had the best academies in the country for the last few years and we've lagged behind a bit. Do you think we're coming close to catching them up?
Impossible to say without knowing more about the younger age groups, but from what i gather city and chelsea still tend to be the best. I think across the country the general level has been raised for english acadmey players. If you compare our sides now to when we were in the next gen series i think the worst player in our current squafs would be way ahead of the worst then.

City seem to recruit really aggresivley to keep their youth sides very good and with their money you imagine this will always be the case going forward. They dominate because they and chelsea have crazy depth. Their bench players at acadmey level would start at most other places

We don't need to be at either of their level though to have a constant stream of talent, it's about creating a pathway for them and really committing to playing acadmey players. Even then  there's only ever going to be so many who will be able to break through at one time. If you have 8-15 potnetial first team players in ine age group half of them will be lucky to get any game time in the premier league.

Offline scout94

• Kemlynite
« Reply #101593 on: June 18, 2020, 01:55:22 am »
Isaac Mabaya for me. ;)

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #101594 on: June 18, 2020, 02:34:23 am »
Thanks for all the updates and information. Anyone know whats happening with Glatzel ? I know he had that injury and is coming back now/soon?. Not convinced by the little ive seen of Larouci (little to none)...is he really the answer to Robbo's backup? (Milner aside)

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101595 on: June 18, 2020, 03:18:11 am »

You've Oakley Cannonier(The ball boy the quickly passed the ball to TAA for the corner against Barca.Remember that goal)
Tommy Pilling
Isaac Mabaya
Cuba Diboe

All the above are England internationals under 15's/16's

Isaac Mabaya who is 15 is currently is already in under 18's already along with Abel Rodriques, Luca Stephenson, Luke Chambers and Max Woltman

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101596 on: June 18, 2020, 07:06:30 am »
You've Oakley Cannonier(The ball boy the quickly passed the ball to TAA for the corner against Barca.Remember that goal)
Tommy Pilling
Isaac Mabaya
Cuba Diboe

All the above are England internationals under 15's/16's

Isaac Mabaya who is 15 is currently is already in under 18's already along with Abel Rodriques, Luca Stephenson, Luke Chambers and Max Woltman

There is actually a youtube piece on Tommy Pilling, he is so small compared to the others but quite a finisher loves lobbing the ball that's for sure.  :D

https://youtu.be/sAFxuNUnt0I

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101597 on: June 18, 2020, 09:14:03 am »
There is actually a youtube piece on Tommy Pilling, he is so small compared to the others but quite a finisher loves lobbing the ball that's for sure.  :D

https://youtu.be/sAFxuNUnt0I

Like a little Messi.

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #101598 on: June 18, 2020, 10:05:21 am »
Thanks for all the updates and information. Anyone know whats happening with Glatzel ? I know he had that injury and is coming back now/soon?. Not convinced by the little ive seen of Larouci (little to none)...is he really the answer to Robbo's backup? (Milner aside)

I've seen Glatzel in the first team training photos.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #101599 on: June 18, 2020, 10:11:29 am »
I love that the Pilling video has been put together by someone in his family.  It's really difficult to judge players at that age but he looks a proper prospect.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.