Author Topic: Andy Robertson (Andrew Henry Robertson MBE)  (Read 779509 times)

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Just Fucking Robertson...
« Reply #3560 on: January 3, 2020, 04:34:53 pm »

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #3561 on: January 3, 2020, 08:02:24 pm »

On his way to have a couple of custard creams no doubt.  ;D

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Number 7 is just around the corner!!
« Reply #3562 on: January 11, 2020, 10:02:37 am »
From The Glasgow Times - Amazing praise from one of the very best ever (won 2 European cups 'personally' ;) and 5 League titles (plus a couple of League Cups) - just reckon he might know a thing or two about the game... ;D)

Liverpool legend Alan Kennedy excited as Robertson and Co bring back the good old days to Anfield

By James Morgan
Deputy Sports Editor

THERE are ways to introduce yourself to a living legend. Waking them from their slumber on a holiday late at night is not one of them.

Alan Kennedy is somewhat discombobulated. “I'm in me bed,” he says, the traces of his Sunderland accent still apparent despite the best part of a lifetime on Merseyside. “I'm on me holiday and I'm not sure what this is costing both of us. Is this over the internet?” he asks.

Humble apologies issued . . . and accepted, we decide to reconvene on another day.

When we speak next, Kennedy is much more sprightly. He is visiting a friend in Thailand. “Make sure you make it clear it's a he,” he jokes. The 65-year-old has just come off a football pitch having finished a match against local lads at the end of which the former Liverpool full-back scored the final goal. “We won,” he says, adding mischievously: “I think it was 47-46. Did we run? I think it was somewhere in between running and walking.”

There remains such a boyish enthusiasm about Kennedy's verve for the game that you sense he just might add this most recent strike to a list of career goals that included the two he scored to win the 1981 and 1984 European Cup finals against Real Madrid and AS Roma respectively.

You also get the impression the fire has been kept kindled in recent years by the emotional rush of watching what Kennedy calls “the finest Liverpool team since the one he played in”. That is not to damn with faint praise. Kennedy, did, after all play in Liverpool's all-conquering team of the 1970s and 80s.

Asked if he misses the game, his answer comes as something of a surprise for someone who has just hit the age when one normally receives a state pension.

“I've never given football up,” he says. “I've just played tonight, I do walking football with the foundation at Liverpool Football Club. I really, really enjoy my football. I play on Monday night, I play Tuesday, I play on a Friday. I would encourage anyone to keep on playing their sport. Some can't, some can but I'm living in another world and I'm hoping Jurgen Klopp might just be looking at his left-back position and thinking 'Oh God, I've got a problem there, I'll maybe give Alan Kennedy a ring'.”

Should Klopp need reminding, Kennedy was the Andy Robertson of his day. There was one crucial difference, however. The marauding left-back won five league titles, two European Cups and four League Cups. Where the current side, who travel to Tottenham Hotspur this evening aiming to take another step to a first English domestic title since 1990, have thus far failed to match their predecessors, Kennedy expects them to follow suit soon enough.

“I want to give them praise but I think there is a lot more to come when they get experience and they might need to add one or two other players but I think the football I've seen is the best since I played back in the 70s and 80s,” he says. “This team that Liverpool have now is probably the best since that era of invincibility. We were all out attack from the first minute of the game.

“I sometimes wonder if Jurgen Klopp watched Liverpool play in the 70s and 80s and copied what we did. The quality is so good that even when someone gives the ball away, just once, you think 'what is he doing giving the ball away, what will we do?' Well, they just get it back. I really do enjoy watching this team. All credit to Manchester City who have been at the top for the last five or six years – and they are still there because they are still chasing with others – but Liverpool, if they can get their act together, can be dominant for the next five or six years.”

Kennedy says fans who watched the team that he played in recalled sometimes being bored by Liverpool's relentless grip on matches, often against fellow title rivals, but he is adamant that the same cannot be said of this vintage.

“I am never bored with this team because they just produce football that is sometimes beyond belief how they actually do it, but they've worked hard at their game. It is every credit that whenever they go out on the pitch they go out to win and that's how we approached every game.

“My job, Phil Neal's job and Alan Hansen's job was to stop them playing, stop them scoring and that's exactly what I see in Virgil Van Dijk and whoever plays alongside him and, of course, Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold as well. I have been very, very impressed by both full backs. They play as myself and Phil Neal played with a high line. Okay they might take a little bit of a risk at the back sometimes but no team has exploited Liverpool's weakness. If they do have a weakness I'm not sure where it is and that was exactly the same as 35 years ago.”

In his role as a matchday host at Anfield, Kennedy watches Klopp's side in the flesh once a fortnight and sometimes more if the notion takes him to go to an away game. He is, therefore, something of an expert on the current team and more so on what is required to play left-back for Liverpool. It is no surprise that Kennedy, who arrived on Merseyside for £330,000 from Newcastle United and was named one of the best 100 Liverpool players of all time, is circumspect about making comparisons between his team and today's one. Nevertheless, he loves the level-headed Robertson's body of work thus far and can't help but notice similarities between his game and the Scotland captain's.

“Yes, I see them. Liverpool broke the record for a full-back at the particular time I signed. [But] I was never assured of first-team football at Liverpool and you had to earn the right to be No.1 and that's exactly what Andy Robertson has done. I just think that Andy is a player who is the best in his position [in England]. There may be one or two others who I haven't really looked at in the Premier League and people will say 'what about this one?' but I watch Andy every week and I'm always impressed with his ability to defend – because that's what his job is – and then to get forward to support the attack. He knows exactly what he has to do and I think he carries out the instructions perfectly.

“The timing of the run is important and Andy times his runs very well. He sees the situation, he knows what is going to happen, he knows and trusts the players in front of him and then he makes the run. I really do think he is a top-class full-back and is doing everything that the manager wants. If I go back 35 or 40 years ago that's what I did when Bob Paisley, the manager said to me 'I want you to be yourself out there, I want you to get out there, show them that we haven't spent all that money needlessly on a full-back that doesn't get forward or whatever – that's what we want you to do.' You know, I had specific instructions from Bob Paisley to keep wide rather than go anywhere down the middle and the rest is history.”

That history is littered with treasured memories and, above all, the rewards of being on the right side of it. Thus Kennedy believes winning is what distinguishes the great from the very good. Last summer's Champions League win over this evening's opponents notwithstanding, ending the long wait for a domestic league title has assumed near-mythical status for all at Liverpool. Kennedy is no different.

“When I first watched Andy Robertson playing for Hull, I thought 'that lad has got something' but I go back to the days of [Graeme] Souness, [Kenny] Dalglish and [Alan] Hansen, three of the greatest ever Liverpool players. Andy has been outstanding but, again, nothing has been won yet. When they pick up their Premier League trophy or their medal, that's when I will be saying 'great player'.”

Robertson, forever seeking the marginal gains to elevate his game to the status of the world's elite players, would surely agree.
"After 27 years and 11 days, finally, we got justice for the 96"
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3563 on: January 12, 2020, 09:13:15 am »
Good read that.

Fuck where would our club be without these loyal jocks like Andy Fucking Robertson.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3564 on: January 12, 2020, 09:16:58 am »
We would hate him if he played for another team.   Love the guy.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3565 on: January 13, 2020, 09:16:05 am »
Has given up booze for the season to make sure he's able to recover for every match.

"Lifestyle, I always eat well and watch what I eat. I don't drink during the season but don't get me wrong, off season, I have a couple of weeks. I am Scottish after all.

"During the season I try not to and that's important because you need to invest in your body.

"It's the most important thing. The team behind the team at Melwood (Liverpool's training ground) every day, they make sure our bodies are ready and we're as fit as we can possibly be."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-news-epl-premier-league-title-success-andy-robertson-secrets-jurgen-klopp-a9281036.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3566 on: January 13, 2020, 09:30:13 am »
See Klopp was gonna have a word with him about his end product on Saturday?

https://twitter.com/JackSear/status/1216097875073081352

Man management. :)
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3567 on: January 14, 2020, 06:52:49 am »
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fc-news-tottenham-result-player-ratings-andrew-robertson-a9281096.html

No one embodies the reckless joy of Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool more than Andrew Robertson

The 25-year-old simply never stops and could scarcely be more emblematic of the Premier League champions in waiting’s relentless march to the title

Tony Evans21 hours ago

You can see why opponents do not like Andrew Robertson. The Liverpool left back is annoying.

The 25-year-old never stops. His appetite for the game appears inexhaustible. He chases up and down the line relentlessly, barely taking a breather. In a game that seems increasingly po-faced, he gives the impression of a man having fun.

It can be less pleasurable for rival players. In Liverpool’s 1-0 victory over Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane, Robertson provoked fury for his second-half challenge on Japhet Tanganga. The Scot overran the ball, creating a 60:40 situation that favoured the Spurs defender. The clash was audible in the stands 30 yards away. Jose Mourinho thought the Liverpool man was lucky to escape a red card. The tackle was full-blooded and rash from both men. Tanganga’s part in it was largely overlooked. That is probably because of Robertson’s style. He performs with reckless joy.

Physicality is part of the sport’s spectacle. Modern football is a serious business and sometimes it feels like Premier League players are overwhelmed by their work. Pressure can take enjoyment out of any job and turn it into a chore. Liverpool are a team that look like they are having a good time. Jurgen Klopp has created an upbeat environment at Anfield and winning sides have the luxury of playing with a smile. No one relishes their involvement more than Robertson.

He should have been awarded a red card against Tottenham but not for the tangle with Tanganga. There was no malice in that contest, just two men totally committed to winning the ball and fixated on gaining possession. Martin Atkinson, the referee, did not blow for a foul. In slow motion contact invariably looks worse.

There was another incident in the closing minutes that did not reflect well on Robertson. With Spurs pushing on for an equaliser, the left back pursued a Liverpool clearance. Toby Alderweireld propelled the ball forward and Robertson, who could have pulled out of the challenge, left a dangling foot and clipped the centre back’s shin with some force long after attention had switched elsewhere. Play continued and, with Tottenham preoccupied with chasing the game, there was little fuss when the ball finally went dead. Alderweireld will not forget the moment so easily. It was a nasty cameo, uncalled for and unnecessary. The contact was too late even to qualify as a tactical foul. There was never a chance of it stopping the Spurs attack.

Robertson’s competitive instincts sometimes overstep the mark but his fierceness is largely channelled in a positive manner. He is not one of the more prodigiously talented players in Klopp’s squad but he more than makes up for it with energy and intelligence. Liverpool’s full backs make the team tick and have been rightly lauded. Trent Alexander-Arnold, with his range of skills, has been the focus of most attention. The 21-year-old exudes class, is home-grown and has the potential to operate in a variety of positions. Robertson has a more basic skillset but is equally valuable to this team.

Alexander-Arnold’s flank is often targeted by opponents. Tottenham tried to get the ball down the seam between the right back and Joe Gomez. It did not work but there is a perception that the weakest part of the Scouser’s game is his defending. No one attempts to isolate Robertson in the same way.

The pair work together beautifully, not just with their attacking play and creativity. At White Hart Lane, Robertson chased an early Spurs corner out to the right and ended up in Alexander-Arnold’s position. The England defender slotted in on the left and, for almost five minutes, the full backs continued on the ‘wrong’ wing. There was no mad scramble across the pitch while the ball was in play. They waited for a prolonged break in the action before returning to their normal positions – taking time to exchange a slapped handshake along the way. To judge by their smiles, both enjoyed their sojourn into unfamiliar territory.

It is easy to see why Alexander-Arnold is so important at Anfield. In a multinational age, a local boy who understands the nature of the city and how important the club is on Merseyside gives the team an extra dimension. Yet it would be foolish to underestimate the significance of having a Scot in the side. Liverpool’s greatest teams have had their identity coloured by Scottish influence. From Alex Raisbeck, captain of the club’s first title-winning team, through Billy Liddell, Bill Shankly, Graeme Souness and Kenny Dalglish, Scots have become icons. Robertson is the latest and while he may be nowhere near the greatest he has already earned cult status on the Kop.

His spikiness, when directed properly, provides a mean streak for a team that, until Robertson’s emergence as a first-team regular two years ago, could be a little timid. Kicking people is the least of it. Robertson messed with Lionel Messi’s mind in last year’s Champions League semi-final second leg against Barcelona. His disrespectful buffeting of the Argentinian superstar’s head unhinged Barca. It sent a message that the Catalan side could not expect an easy night despite their 3-0 lead. That moment early in the game was as crucial to Liverpool’s 4-0 victory as Alexander-Arnold’s clever corner for Divock Origi’s winning goal.

Robertson is a pleasure to watch and a nightmare to play against. Every time he surges forward, he looks to press on. His speciality is the one-two, rolling the ball inside to a team-mate and charging down the line in expectation of the return pass. Wingers envy his ability to reach the byline.

Against Tottenham, the left back stood out, as he has all season. There are a handful of candidates for Footballer of the Year in Klopp’s all-conquering team but the Scotland captain should be a serious contender for the prize. His delight in playing is infectious. He may not win the Professional Footballers’ Association award because he raises hackles on the pitch but that only underlines his effectiveness. No one in the league is more fun to watch than Robertson.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #3568 on: January 14, 2020, 07:10:38 am »
Mmm, seems to be trying to create a narrative that Robertson is dirty.

The tackle with Tanganga wasn't a foul at all but Robertson, he won the ball cleanly. Don't even remember the second incident Evans is talking about.

He's committed and uncompromising, but it's being suggested he's got a dirty, nasty side where he tries to harm players. Not seen the evidence for that at all.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3569 on: January 14, 2020, 07:26:38 am »
Was thinking the same.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3570 on: January 14, 2020, 07:54:55 am »
There was another incident in the closing minutes that did not reflect well on Robertson. With Spurs pushing on for an equaliser, the left back pursued a Liverpool clearance. Toby Alderweireld propelled the ball forward and Robertson, who could have pulled out of the challenge, left a dangling foot and clipped the centre back’s shin with some force long after attention had switched elsewhere. Play continued and, with Tottenham preoccupied with chasing the game, there was little fuss when the ball finally went dead. Alderweireld will not forget the moment so easily. It was a nasty cameo, uncalled for and unnecessary. The contact was too late even to qualify as a tactical foul. There was never a chance of it stopping the Spurs attack.

This tackle was not so nice.   ;D
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #3571 on: January 14, 2020, 08:36:41 am »
What I hadn't realised about the shove on Messi's head was, he could have easily stamped on him in the prior tackle.  I didn't see it until I watched the Barca documentary, but Robbo did really well when they both went over, to not "leave on on him".  I reckon the shove was a little "I could have had you there..."

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3572 on: January 14, 2020, 09:27:41 am »
What I hadn't realised about the shove on Messi's head was, he could have easily stamped on him in the prior tackle.  I didn't see it until I watched the Barca documentary, but Robbo did really well when they both went over, to not "leave on on him". I reckon the shove was a little "I could have had you there..."

Oor Begbie! Gotta love him.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3573 on: January 14, 2020, 11:25:01 am »
The tackle with Tanganga wasn't a foul at all but Robertson, he won the ball cleanly. Don't even remember the second incident Evans is talking about.

Did you even read the article?! Evans says there was nothing wrong with the first tackle (not sure I agree with that; he won the ball first but don't think he could've complained if he was yellow-carded), but that it was the tackle on Alderweireld later which was naughty. He left one in on him when the ball was long gone.

Robertson needs to reign it in a bit because he's going to be a watched man now for sure.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3574 on: January 14, 2020, 02:19:15 pm »
Did you even read the article?! Evans says there was nothing wrong with the first tackle (not sure I agree with that; he won the ball first but don't think he could've complained if he was yellow-carded), but that it was the tackle on Alderweireld later which was naughty. He left one in on him when the ball was long gone.

Robertson needs to reign it in a bit because he's going to be a watched man now for sure.

I've loved all our hard men - erm, just realised that sounds a bit gay - but Robbo's much more than a hard man (as was Tommy in his hey day) and I don't want someone taking him out in revenge and ending up with a nasty injury so yeh, agree with you mate.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3575 on: January 14, 2020, 02:26:17 pm »

He doesn't need to reign anything in. He's not going around smashing players in just being a little sly ha.. love it!

Never change Robbo!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3576 on: January 14, 2020, 02:39:17 pm »
He doesn't need to reign anything in. He's not going around smashing players in just being a little sly ha.. love it!

Never change Robbo!

Let's see if you're saying the same if he gets sent off for a pointless petulant rake down someone's leg and we lose our unbeaten record as a result.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3577 on: January 14, 2020, 02:43:57 pm »
Let's see if you're saying the same if he gets sent off for a pointless petulant rake down someone's leg and we lose our unbeaten record as a result.

I’m not particularly au fait with the term ‘straw man’ but....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3578 on: January 14, 2020, 02:49:32 pm »
It's not really rocket science. After Barca, Everton and Spurs, rightly or wrongly he's developing a rep in the media as a bit naughty, petulant, whatever word you want to use. We know this kind of thing inevitably affects referee's judgements. If it carries on, he won't keep getting away with it, and it could cost us.

I don't care what opposition fans think, I love how Robbo winds them up, but I do care about us potentially going down to ten men in a big game for something completely needless.

Offline Si senor

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3579 on: January 14, 2020, 02:56:00 pm »
He's a brilliant player, the fact that he winds up the opposition player's and fans just makes me love him even more 😁

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3580 on: January 14, 2020, 03:39:46 pm »
It's not really rocket science. After Barca, Everton and Spurs, rightly or wrongly he's developing a rep in the media as a bit naughty, petulant, whatever word you want to use. We know this kind of thing inevitably affects referee's judgements. If it carries on, he won't keep getting away with it, and it could cost us.

I don't care what opposition fans think, I love how Robbo winds them up, but I do care about us potentially going down to ten men in a big game for something completely needless.

I'm with you here, although think onlty the Spurs one was anything much. You've missed out the most self indulgent/team harming of the lot though, where he cost us minutes at the end of the Napoli home game putting the guy in the crowd (he did the same to Kyle Walker too though it didn't harm the team)

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3581 on: January 14, 2020, 03:40:35 pm »

Perfectly so, this one...

Either Robertson stops being so snide in which case he's right, or Robertson gets sent off for being snide, and he's right... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3582 on: January 14, 2020, 03:57:49 pm »
I'm with you here, although think onlty the Spurs one was anything much. You've missed out the most self indulgent/team harming of the lot though, where he cost us minutes at the end of the Napoli home game putting the guy in the crowd (he did the same to Kyle Walker too though it didn't harm the team)

Very true! If he kept his head a bit more, maybe his end product would improve...

Perfectly so, this one...

Either Robertson stops being so snide in which case he's right, or Robertson gets sent off for being snide, and he's right... :D

So I'm right? Get in!!!!!!

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3583 on: January 14, 2020, 03:58:37 pm »
He's a brilliant player, the fact that he winds up the opposition player's and fans just makes me love him even more 😁

This.

Plus the Murdoch news machine are desperate to turn the Tanganga tumble into something that it wasn't. No one ever mentions that Robbo got to the ball first and turns his studs away at the end there. I even hear them comparing it to the Aubameyang ankle-breaking tackle. Bonkers. You have to be a Liverpool hater to see both incidents as the same thing.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3584 on: January 14, 2020, 04:03:16 pm »
This.

Plus the Murdoch news machine are desperate to turn the Tanganga tumble into something that it wasn't. No one ever mentions that Robbo got to the ball first and turns his studs away at the end there. I even hear them comparing it to the Aubameyang ankle-breaking tackle. Bonkers. You have to be a Liverpool hater to see both incidents as the same thing.

Oh I agree with that. There's a lot of morons out there who are either completely delusional or choosing to see what they want to see. It's the one on Alderweireld which was pointlessly naughty.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3585 on: January 14, 2020, 04:06:18 pm »
You've just got to love a cantankerous Scotsman.

Especially when he's OUR cantankerous Scotsman.

Don't change Andy lad. Don't change.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3586 on: January 14, 2020, 04:26:59 pm »
Toby Alderweireld propelled the ball forward and Robertson, who could have pulled out of the challenge, left a dangling foot and clipped the centre back’s shin with some force long after attention had switched elsewhere. Play continued and, with Tottenham preoccupied with chasing the game, there was little fuss when the ball finally went dead. Alderweireld will not forget the moment so easily. It was a nasty cameo, uncalled for and unnecessary. The contact was too late even to qualify as a tactical foul. There was never a chance of it stopping the Spurs attack.

The bit I'd question here is "with some force" - it looked like a tap, enough to let the defender feel it but no weight behind it. Although judging by Aldeweireld's Neymaresque reaction, you'd think he'd leapt in with both feet off the ground.

Still enough to potentially be shown a red card by the letter of the law, although Atkinson is the kind of ref who probably enjoys that sort of thing. Robertson just has to remember not to do it when Mike Dean is officiating.

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #3587 on: January 19, 2020, 01:18:08 pm »
Andrew Robertson. Andy Robertson. Robbo. Andy FUCKING Robertson. Where do you start?

He’s a throwback. A player Shankly would have dragged out of the pit, kicking and screaming, into the light with promises of a good career and clean lungs. A player Geoff Twentyman would have bundled into the back of his car for an illicit meeting with Bob at a service station on the M62. A player Raffa would have seen as a vital cog in his machine. A player that one of the best scouting and analytical departments in world football would put in front of one of the world’s best managers and say ’This is your man.’ Jurgen nodded.

It’s easy to romanticise Andy’s story. To give it a Disney spin. Here is the servant turned into a prince by the fairy godmother of Liverpool. But that’s not true. Andy is someone who has grafted his whole life. He’s the lad that wanted more than being a trainee at Glasgow’s unknown club. He’s the lad on the till that wanted more money to spend at Christmas. He’s the lad that moved south to a no-mark club and got relegated. He’s the lad that joined Liverpool for a handful of beans and the offer of a place in the squad. He’s the lad with a Champions League medal.

I’m in my mid-40s. I thought my days of having football heroes was long gone. Souness was the last player I worshipped. I was twelve. But there’s something about Robbo. Something that appeals to my footballing soul. He never gives less than 100%. Even when he’s on his last legs 100%. The look he gives to his team mates when he is the cause of a breakdown in play. The way he celebrates every group achievement. The look he gives an opponent he has just bettered, putting him in his place. The look he gives if anyone gets the better of him. Christ they must know they are getting it next time.

Andy FUCKING Robertson. A middle-age man’s hero.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #3588 on: January 19, 2020, 01:32:17 pm »
Agreed. I wrote this before the City game earlier in the season:

"I’m honestly inspired by the whole team. But Robertson always stands out for some reason. I’m 43 and feel like I’ve done alright in life, but when I see that pasty little Scrote who was skint in his flat a few years ago bombing up and down the wing with a CL medal in the back pocket and winding up messi along the way I want to do better. The guys a phenomenon. (Also Milner)"

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3589 on: January 23, 2020, 11:45:34 pm »
i think he is tired, could do with a rest

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3590 on: January 23, 2020, 11:48:09 pm »
He badly needs a rest and we need to buy another Left Back to take the load off him.

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3591 on: January 23, 2020, 11:55:32 pm »
Didn't look tired to me and don't think he would be considering our schedule in January was pretty light. He just came up against an opponent who is physically on a different planet to him and didn't have the intelligence/nouse to combat him. He's allowed an off night in one of our hardest away games and up against an awkward opponent.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3592 on: January 23, 2020, 11:56:59 pm »
Not just tonight mate, the last few games Robbo just hasn't been the same. He plays nearly evrey game for us and that's because we don't have a proper deputy Left Back.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3593 on: January 24, 2020, 12:00:26 am »
I thought he made a couple of mistakes tonight but I think the credit must go to Wolves for putting him under pressure. He’ll bounce back next game he plays.
#JFT97

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #3594 on: January 24, 2020, 12:23:44 am »
I think he's looked tired based on his play and some decisions he's been making.  Those quick forward charges where's he trying to strip the ball off the oncoming attacker are too risky with Nunez/Traore on his side as it left us fully exposed a couple of times.  Another example was when he was way too slow to react to the situation and our defensive line and played the Wolves player onside for that shot that hit Allison in the face.  Honestly though, he's not the only one who has looked a bit leggy the last couple of games and it's completely understandable given the period we just came through.

I'm not worried though, the games are spreading out again and we have a two week break coming up.  Hopefully, Robbo can put his feet up and come back recharged for the final few months as we try to add a few more trophies to these incredible season.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3595 on: January 24, 2020, 12:30:18 am »
The winter break is coming just on time for Robbo. He seems a bit spent, but that's inevitable when you play every game and there's no one to even back him up for a game off.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3596 on: January 24, 2020, 12:32:10 am »
The winter break is coming just on time for Robbo. He seems a bit spent, but that's inevitable when you play every game and there's no one to even back him up for a game off.
👍

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3597 on: January 24, 2020, 12:32:35 am »
Poor lad is knackered. needs a break bad, but still puts in a 100% shift. Legend.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #3598 on: January 24, 2020, 01:09:01 am »
Poor lad is knackered. needs a break bad, but still puts in a 100% shift. Legend.
Completely, and Milner is still out doesn't help. Wonder if any of the younger players could cover?
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3599 on: January 24, 2020, 01:36:20 am »

He need a scotch! Fast!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?