The Liverpool FC Forum > Liverpool FC Forum

M'boro 1 Liverpool 2

(1/1)

treble2001:
Middlesborough 1 Liverpool 2
Report By Mark Piercy

When the going gets tough…

Liverpool’s recent run of form couldn’t have come at a better time, could it?  

A few weeks ago, Liverpool’s title hopes were on the ropes, with the Reds unable to break sides down.  The strikers looked like they’d studied at the ‘Stephane Henchoz School of Finishing’ and the midfield couldn’t chip in with the creativity.  But, with the words of a certain Frenchman ringing in their ears, Liverpool have dragged themselves off the floor and we are still in the title chase.  How many times over the past decade have you been able to say that?

After a sluggish first 30 minutes, the Redmen found their feet, and after 32 minutes, Nico Anelka took on two defenders before sweeping the ball over with his left foot.  Dietmar Hamann was look for his second goal in as many weeks, but Mark Schwarzer parried, only for the rejuvenated Emile Heskey to pounce home.

After more Middlesborough pressure, an 82 minute smart flick by Nico, found John Arne Riise with acres of space, and he smashed home from the edge of the box.  Liverpool then found themselves dictating the pace of the game.

On 88 minutes, a cross by Boro found Gareth Southgate who headed home from close range.  A few minutes later, Paul Ince drove a low shot that was just past Dudek's post.

But Liverpool will go into the Champions League tie with AS Roma on Tuesday with their first win at the Riverside Stadium under their belt.

Jerzy Dudek was responsible on a few occasions for keeping the Reds in the game, his best save being a great close range stop from a Queudrue.  His record of ten hours of football without a goal conceded was finally broken, but the big Pole in our goal could do nothing about Southgates' header.  He was reliable and solid.

A special mention must go to the whole of the back four.  Hyypia and Henchoz were, well, Hyypia and Henchoz.  I don't think I have to say anything abou these two, because you'll all know what I mean.  Abel Xavier was a rock.  I've been impressed with Xavier and for £700,000 you can't argue that he is another great GH find.  He tackled, blocked and even his offensive play has impressed me!  It was Jamie Carragher's first game back since his suspension, and he was as solid as Carra usually is.

Dietmar Hamann played out of his skin, well as usual.  How people go on about Vieiras and Keanes as the best defensive midfielders and don't talk about Hamann is beyond me.  Dietmar is up there with all of these.  Danny Murphy had a chance from his prefered centre midfield role, but failed to shine really.  But, Danny will also know that, and the stick he comes in for is amazing.  Danny has been a great player for us this year, yet remains a scape goat with many.  

Now to Nicholas (without the 's') Anelka and Emile Heskey.  Emile is my man of the match, because when he never had the ball he'd come back, get it, and start again.  Emile's clincal finish show how far he has come from the times where he was finding goals hard to come by.  Whereas in recent weeks he's turn and pass, Emile will think nothing of letting fire.

And what impresses me of Anelka?  His lightning pace?  His goal scoring instincts?  No.  His attitude.  The newspapers thought they were in dream world when they saw this signing.  They couldn't wait for Nico to spit the dummy and come out with a remark.  But he hasn't, and he seems to have fitted in with the team spirit great.  He's always got a smile on his face and seems to love it when his team mates are quick to celebrate with him.  

Bring on Roma!

Team:  Dudek; Carragher, Xavier, Hyypia, Henchoz; Murphy, Smicer (Gerrard), Hamann, Riise; Heskey*, Anelka

MAN OF THE MATCH: Emile Heskey
SCORERS: Heskey, Riise

Dan_L:
We dug this one out of the bag. Similar to the perfomance against Derby. Started very slow but the back 4 and Jerzy where at their poetic best. Once we scored, we grew in confidence and second half we cruised it. As Mark stated, Abel Xavier is turning out to be another shrewd signing from Monsieur Houllier. People doubted his ability but as GH and Tommo said he is an experienced international and he handles pressure with great ease. Magnificent display from the whole of the back four. Four years ago we conceded goals home and away for fun but as for many of Liverpool's great sides, the foundation is laid at the back. Jerzy Dudek was in top class form and we don't expect any different nowadays from the Big Pole. Put this defence together with the strength in depth we  have in midfield and up front we have a very good chance of winning our first title for 12 years. It would be a remarkable achievement considering what Gerard has been through this season. Special Praise has to go out for the backroom staff led by Tommo who have done super jobs. Tuesday night will be special also. WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED

dan17:
I agree with mArk about Nic's attitude, he worked his socks against boro, running back 60 yards to help the defence and making darting runs he was very good. lets sign him!

MichaelA:
Yesterday was great, because despite a slow start (CL hangover) we never looked like losing the game.

Anelka seems to have found his feet and his form and should be signed permanently.

Emile was definitely man of the match again, after a towering performance at the Nou Camp. He was quite simply outstanding.

Didi also played superbly well, as usual. We will miss him on Tuesday night against Roma; he was also suspended against Barca at home, and we all know what happened then...Danny and Stevie have got a big job to do to replace him.

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version