Author Topic: John Henry & Liverpool's Evolution From Moneyball to Big-Spending Approach  (Read 68287 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I remember email bombing that NY finance company while Gillett was sitting outside waiting to meet them.

Hicks.
And in the campaign stakes, our own Royhendo was a bl**dy hero.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Hicks.
And in the campaign stakes, our own Royhendo was a bl**dy hero.

Yeh Roy and the sadly missed Shanklyboy were truly inspirational at that time.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader

Those were the worst of times... but also very memorable for me in a special way cos of our fight and the way we won.
I've never given FSG a break, because nobody should be given a free ride and when we keep the pressure then FSG also stays on their toes and delivers, but I have said and will say again that FSG have done an excellent job and succeeded in their aims, they've never spent over the top and we would've liked them to use much more of their cash at times, there were 2 or 3 windows that they should've signed one more good player... but I think they've been learning (because football is not their thing) and I hope that whatever their learnt they continue to apply positively in the years to come.

I remember when they first came in during those early years (after we spent the Torres money) they didn't realise that by investing in an expensive player, you can receive much more for that player... it becomes a high stakes game... so, if you pay more than you think Salah is worth (as Roma revealed Henry kept complaining over and over at his price), down the line you can get multiples of that value back... and even if a player depreciates, because of the inflating market, you can still get back a decent amount... so in a worse case scenario you buy a player for 30mil and he bombs, so you sell him for 18mil, and you only lose 12mil, which isn't bad when you count the profits made on others... (now, before someone bored with his life comes in with the accounting books, you don't need to tell me to count wages, agent fees and the time the coach took him for drinks and paid 5K for all his friends and placed it on the club account).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:16:17 pm by SteveZissou »
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
Just beclause, really...

I can go to sleep now. Wonderful.
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
FSG PR is in full flow after CL win.

FSG ain't bad owners but they won't put in any money to in. They put money to increase value of LFC just like arsenal owners.

Our CL win is due to one man that is Jürgen Klopp and the incredible fans. 

We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

After every second place finish we failed to capitalise and this year ain't looking much different.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

FSG ain't bad owners but they won't put in any money to in. They put money to increase value of LFC just like arsenal owners.

We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

After every second place finish we failed to capitalise and this year ain't looking much different.

Great..

FSG save us from administration, improve things year on, learn from their mistakes, start putting right people in right positions, take us to on field and off field successes and still some always want to be right for their own sake and will never give FSG, a single credit. In fact, everyone involved deserved credit, so it'll help if you stop your agenda.

Not a single ball has been kicked in the season and you're writing it off. If you're fishing, it's not very good I tell you.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Great..

FSG save us from administration, improve things year on, learn from their mistakes, start putting right people in right positions, take us to on field and off field successes and still some always want to be right for their own sake and will never give FSG, a single credit. In fact, everyone involved deserved credit, so it'll help if you stop your agenda.

Not a single ball has been kicked in the season and you're writing it off. If you're fishing, it's not very good I tell you.

He’s not fishing he’s just one of the infamous bedwetters, who get annoyed if you call them bedwetters  ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
He’s not fishing he’s just one of the infamous bedwetters, who get annoyed if you call them bedwetters  ;D

Oh..  ;D

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)

this year ain't looking much different.

I hope you're right...
Big Ears number 7!!  ;D

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
This is the best the club has been run in over 30 years.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan

1989 we finished 2nd. Our only signings that summer were Glenn Hysen and Steve Harkness. We went on to win the league. If you have faith in the squad and the manager, you don't always need a shiny new toy in the transfer window.

The squad coming into the season is stronger than it was going into the last one. Nobody in the PL is overtaking us, and we may well overtake City. This manager and this squad is fucking amazing.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!

That night in Madrid must have pissed you off no end.

After every second place finish...

So that would be:

2002 David Moores in charge not FSG

2009 Hicks and Gillett in charge not FSG

2014 FSG in charge with Rodgers as manager. It's fair to say that we weren't in a position to capitalise on that 2nd place under Rodgers.

You say yourself that Klopp is vital to where we are now. FSG let Brendan go and targeted the most important signing the club has made in decades - Jurgen Klopp as manager. Since then they have worked with him and the backroom staff to build a squad that is second only to Abu Dhabi FC in depth and better in key positions.

2019 - we have a squad that has achieved our highest points total ever, won a European Cup, contains the best goalkeeper (£60m), best centre half (£75m), best left back, best right back, two of last years golden boot winners, the last two players of the year, strength in depth in midfield like we haven't seen in years (players like Fabinho £40m and Keita £52m), new young players coming through and Klopp, who you say is at the heart of it all, absolutely clear in his belief that he is happy with his squad and happy with the support he gets from FSG.

The club, the players and the supporters are united like they haven't been in years. That must eat you up.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!

He has his finger on the pulse and knows what's best for the club. On the rumours we were interested Allison:

In my opinion we should stick with Karius. First mistake was purely an inadverdent error not a goalkeeping mistake if you see it .
Second goal happens because he lost his composure because of first mistake. He was in two minds to punch or to catch and he ended up throwing the ball in the net.

I guess klopp will stick with loris. I wish he does.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
2002 we failed to retain Anelka, released Litmanen, sold Fowler six months earlier and signed a load of duds from France

2009 we sold Xabi, sold Arbeloa, sold Dossena, released Sami and signed a dud from Italy

2014 we sold Luis, sold Agger, sold Reina and made a few good signings out of an absolute cascade of them

In 2002 if we’d retained Anelka and Litmanen and not signed anyone I’d imagine we’d have done a lot better

In 2009 if we’d retained Xabi, Sami and Arbeloa and not signed anyone I’d imagine we’d have done a lot better

In 2014 if we’d retained Luis, Agger and Reina and not signed anyone I’d imagine we’d have done a lot better

Those seasons had nothing to do with not ‘kicking on’ and everything to do with selling world class players and big characters and not replacing them at all well. That’s not what’s happening this season. What’s happening this season is the manager going last season was incredible, same again plus I’ve got another half dozen or so youngsters/returning players from injury to bolster the squad.

He has his finger on the pulse and knows what's best for the club. On the rumours we were interested Allison:

:boxhead
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
and FS too

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
Peter Moore was just on cnbc (primary business channel in the US). Says Belichick may be more cerebral but nothing beats a Klopp Hug.  ;D The announcer gave him mild crap for calling him Klopp a man-manager ("people, you mean") until he pointed out they were all men lol

these yanks  :lmao
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: John Henry & Liverpool's Evolution From Moneyball to Big-Spending Approach
« Reply #336 on: February 18, 2020, 12:33:38 am »
Perhaps this is an insight into John Henry.

Mookie Betts is a Red Sox legend and has been traded. Every trade of a star player at the Red Sox will inevitably be linked to the trade of Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees. It is the Red Sox' biggest fear. Understandably so.

They have traded Mookie and John has explained why. Not the General Manager, the Principal Owner.

I genuinely believe that John has the best interests of his clubs at heart and will always make the tough calls, however ruthless they may seem at the time, a bit like Bob Paisley in that regard. Bob, of course was a football genius, but John does know his baseball. That is without question.

Anyway, a clip I found on twitter.

He doesn't say a lot, unlike the early days of him being interviewed by RAWK members, but what he says is quite revealing I think.

https://twitter.com/JoeGiza/status/1229456141509373955?s=20
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: February 18, 2020, 12:42:58 am »

This aged well 🤣

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: February 18, 2020, 12:49:36 am »
This aged well 🤣
Everything he/she said could be true.

I don’t believe that because to get to win the cl means they did a great job in the first place. The point still remains..

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: February 18, 2020, 12:50:32 am »
It's nearly 1 am for fucks sake. This ain't the time for windups.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #340 on: February 18, 2020, 01:43:57 am »
It's nearly 1 am for fucks sake. This ain't the time for windups.
It's after 5 pm somewhere...  ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #341 on: February 18, 2020, 11:13:48 am »

And the winner of the hot take of the year award is......
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #342 on: February 18, 2020, 11:24:38 am »
I don’t think anyone should complain about FSG. They took quite a long time to get the right manager and backroom team in place but they now have, arguably, the best manager in the world (well the most fun one). They have stayed out of directly managing the club other than making sure things were run correctly. They have backed Jurgen when needed.

Their mantra appeared to be to select managers who would find players that could be bought at a reasonable amount instead of buying big. Recently they understood that a few selected big buys were needed. Klopp is such a good fit for them as he is only interested in building a team and not buying players just for the sake of it.

So look back where we were when FSG took over and where we are now. Owners rarely get the praise they deserve but in our case we have owners who had a plan and slowly the plan worked.
#JFT97

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: February 18, 2020, 11:43:00 am »
I don’t think anyone should complain about FSG. They took quite a long time to get the right manager and backroom team in place but they now have, arguably, the best manager in the world (well the most fun one). They have stayed out of directly managing the club other than making sure things were run correctly. They have backed Jurgen when needed.

Their mantra appeared to be to select managers who would find players that could be bought at a reasonable amount instead of buying big. Recently they understood that a few selected big buys were needed. Klopp is such a good fit for them as he is only interested in building a team and not buying players just for the sake of it.

So look back where we were when FSG took over and where we are now. Owners rarely get the praise they deserve but in our case we have owners who had a plan and slowly the plan worked.

Right from the start royhendo (IIRC) said that their MO was to use analysis to maximise the impact of investment, but big money in select areas would be possible to take us to the next level. It's been more noticeable because we now have a backroom team that knows what it's doing and is set in a common direction.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: February 22, 2020, 04:46:31 pm »
John Henry is a dead ringer for Garth from Wayne’s world ;D : https://youtu.be/oe30habM0ls
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
I don't want to take anything away from Kloppo, the main instigator of our resurgence, or the players that have achieved it, but I just wanted to bump a thread (separate from the transfer thread), to give some appreciation for what our owners have achieved. Taking us from the brink, to the best team on the planet. You've made a lot of people very happy!

Well in FSG!

:scarf :champ :scarf

(couldn't find a more suitable open thread)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
Boss, deserve credit in how they have turned us around

Online The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ahh yeah, he owns. Here's the statement from him last night:

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Helped to resurrect us and the Red Sox.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Ta FSG

Online Willy Poolman

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never RAWK Alone
I don't want to take anything away from Kloppo, the main instigator of our resurgence, or the players that have achieved it, but I just wanted to bump a thread (separate from the transfer thread), to give some appreciation for what our owners have achieved. Taking us from the brink, to the best team on the planet. You've made a lot of people very happy!

Well in FSG!

:scarf :champ :scarf

(couldn't find a more suitable open thread)

I want to second this statement, G4J. People were understandably a bit wary when they first arrived, but many continued to be cynical long after the new owners showed they were not leveraged buy-out merchants like the two chancers. It was clear they were bringing a very different business model to bear. It took them a while to find their feet, but I always felt confident they could rebuild the wreckage that was left in the wake of those two. I believe LFC was bankrupt and it was only the fact the club was too big to fail that gave us the breathing space to find creditable owners.  Credit where credit is due, and I for one hope they continue in their ownership of this great club for some time to come.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
The most important job of the owners isn't to pour money into the club, but to hire the best people.
They hired Klopp, and that's all really.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby

You can take a week off. If you can't celebrate today you don't deserve RAWK.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I remember one of their first pledges was to “under promise and over deliver.“

Fair to say they’ve made good on that one.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
The most important job of the owners isn't to pour money into the club, but to hire the best people.
They hired Klopp, and that's all really.

As well as Edwards, Lijnders, Peter Moore as CEO and a bunch of others. The club seems to be in good hands from top to bottom. Compare that to when they took over...

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it". Bill Shankly.

That all said, FSG have done a fantastic job and credit where credit is due. Shanks was operating in a different era and in different financial conditions. What was right then, is not necessarily 100% right now. FSG have their way and it has proven absolutely spot on in the long run.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline RedBlakey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Johnny boy, you are gonna make a sh*t tonne of money when eventually we part ways, but my god i do not begrudge you that one little bit cos you have made a lot of people extremely happy over the past few years.
Never seen him playing I think. But looks like a good player.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
You can take a week off. If you can't celebrate today you don't deserve RAWK.
I agree bizarre thing to say today but he did post it in July 2019 whilst we were basking in the glory of the CL win.

Moaners will be moaners
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well you know when last year it emerged that the Saudi lot were looknig our way, he valued the club at $1 billion.  ;D

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We owe a lot to John Henry.  The man had a vision and a plan.