Author Topic: Statistical Comparison of LFC players to Rest of EPL - starting w/LB  (Read 33394 times)

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Full back Analysis part 2 - Recovery Runs
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2017, 03:13:07 pm »
So as I said in the opening post, 1-v-1 situations is just 1 part of being a full back. Depending on your system it can be vitally important (Liverpool, hence why I did it first) or not very important at all (Chelsea). So we shouldnīt place too much value on just that one category, nor take any of it as fact either as itīs just a theory we are working on that we need to prove, as interesting as it may be.

Not sure Klopp agrees with this.

On MNF last season he specifically talked about full backs and said that they should not be isolated  1-v-1.  He said it can happen, but really they should have support to ensure that doesn't happen very often. 

14:15 in this clip:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jvLh--LaeOI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jvLh--LaeOI</a>

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
Re: An unbiased look at our full backs
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2017, 03:38:06 pm »
Update:-

I noticed that Patrick van Aanholt has two lines of data for Sunderland and Crystal Palace and, for whatever reason, his "Dribbled Past" numbers were not combined but all other numbers were. Once I update the table increasing his dribbled past numbers from 17 to 21, puts his dribbled past score to 0,76 per 90 (same as Robertson) and his 1-v-1 score comes out at 1,30. .
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
Re: Full back Analysis part 2 - Recovery Runs
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2017, 03:43:08 pm »
Not sure Klopp agrees with this.

On MNF last season he specifically talked about full backs and said that they should not be isolated  1-v-1.  He said it can happen, but really they should have support to ensure that doesn't happen very often. 

14:15 in this clip:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jvLh--LaeOI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jvLh--LaeOI</a>

Yes, for sure you never want players isolated 1-v-1. However, this is looking at the times when it does happen and it seems to happen enough per game for it to be important your player can deal with it.

You are confusing tactical and technical here a little perhaps. The managers job is to create a structure where your full backs donīt get isolated but in terms of technique you can be sure you want players who are very skilled at dealing with it the more it happens - which in our system is quite a lot as we are more open than most. It seems to happen maybe 3-5 times per game? The instances where you fail tend to result in dangerous moments happening.

In the same way I imagine the aim is to prevent crosses coming in - but they still happen enough. Then to prevent the forwards getting free headers - but that happens too. Then to position the keeper well to cover as much of the goal to prevent them resulting in goals - but that still happens too, and so on.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2017, 03:50:42 pm »
Based on the very little we know so far about full backs, who will be the worst in this category and probably every category?
Which full backs will be the best at blocks?

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2017, 03:57:00 pm »
Before I done any work on this I expected Clyne to be #1 and Gibbs to be #shit.

Hmm, unbiased eh?

Nevertheless, I appreciate the work on this. Interesting analysis!

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2017, 04:01:12 pm »
Yes, for sure you never want players isolated 1-v-1. However, this is looking at the times when it does happen and it seems to happen enough per game for it to be important your player can deal with it.

You are confusing tactical and technical here a little perhaps. The managers job is to create a structure where your full backs donīt get isolated but in terms of technique you can be sure you want players who are very skilled at dealing with it the more it happens - which in our system is quite a lot as we are more open than most. It seems to happen maybe 3-5 times per game? The instances where you fail tend to result in dangerous moments happening.

In the same way I imagine the aim is to prevent crosses coming in - but they still happen enough. Then to prevent the forwards getting free headers - but that happens too. Then to position the keeper well to cover as much of the goal to prevent them resulting in goals - but that still happens too, and so on.

I'm not confusing anything.

You said you think being able to defend 1-v-1 is very important to LFC, as opposed to a club like Chelsea.

I just merely said, maybe Klopp disagrees.  Given what he said that they shouldn't be isolated.  He is also picking Milner as his LB and his weakest area appears to be defending 1-v-1, so that suggests to me it's not a big concern for him. 

Sure, ideally he'd like the structure to be right where 1-v-1 happen rarely, but even then it will still happen and you need a full back who can cope with that.  But you can have the right structure and a full back will still need to be able to cope all sorts of different situations.  You can reduce the amount of times they occur, bu getting the structure right, but a full back in this league will still be tested in all sorts of ways.

Just feel Klopp doesn't value the importance as much as you do, given Milner was his first choice last season and is going to be on of his two choices this season.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2017, 04:17:55 pm »
Blocks per 90 for all Premier League left backs
Player      Crosses    Passes   Shots      Total Blocks per 90    Scouting Comments?
Erik Pieters      0,83    1,14   0,57      2,54    ????
Christian Fuchs      0,89    1   0,37      2,26    ????
James Milner      0,97    1,09   0,14      2,2    ????
Nacho Monreal      0,54    1,17   0,31      2,02    ????
Stephen Ward      0,8    0,69   0,46      1,95    ????
Ryan Bertrand      0,54    1,03   0,29      1,86    ????
Marcos Alonso      0,49    1,14   0,14      1,77    ????
Andrew Robertson      0,71    0,6   0,43      1,74    ????
Aaron Cresswell      0,86    0,49   0,14      1,49    ????
Alberto Moreno      0,43    0,91   0,14      1,48    ????
José Holebas      0,77    0,4   0,29      1,46    ????
Nathaniel Clyne      0,31    1,06   0,06      1,43    ????
Charlie Daniels      0,51    0,51   0,37      1,39    ????
Leighton Baines      0,51    0,71   0,17      1,39    ????
Joe Average      0,49    0,66   0,22      1,37    ????
Allan-Roméo Nyom      0,4    0,57   0,23      1,2    ????
Kyle Walker      0,26    0,69   0,2      1,15    ????
Patrick van Aanholt      0,31    0,51   0,26      1,08    ????
Gaël Clichy      0,46    0,46   0,06      0,98    ????
George Friend      0,37    0,29   0,31      0,97    ????
Danny Rose      0,29    0,57   0,09      0,95    ????
Martin Olsson      0,37    0,26   0,11      0,74    ????
Ben Davies      0,17    0,34   0,2      0,71    ????
Ben Chilwell      0,2    0,29   0,09      0,58    ????
Jon Flanagan      0,17    0,2   0,11      0,48    ????
Kieran Gibbs      0,09    0,26   0      0,35    ????

Note:- I have included "Joe Average" in bold to show what the average Premier League left back would look like by comparison.
I have also included Nathaniel Clyne and Kyle Walker in italiacs to show what is considered the two best right backs in the league at the moment also look like in comparison.

I will fill in the scouting comments later, but wanted to give you all access to the data ASAP. I think it shows some things I expected. For example the full backs who are too aggressive or get too tight (e.g. Milner, Fuchs, Pieters, Monreal) get dribbled past a lot but also block more as a consequence. The players who stand off a bit more and rarely get dribbled past (e.g. Olsson, Walker, Davies) donīt cut out many crosses. Players who dive in and commit early (e.g. Flanagan, Rose, Chilwell) arenīt on their feet enough to make blocks perhaps. And also some fullbacks show up as crap no matter how you cut it (Gibbs).

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:01 pm »
Based on the very little we know so far about full backs, who will be the worst in this category and probably every category?
Which full backs will be the best at blocks?
Milner better than Clyne from what I saw watching them over the season. Milner has a good ability to turn (pretty good agility against his perceived lack of explosiveness) and get into the right spot to block the trajectory of the cross.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:18 pm »
I'm not confusing anything.

You said you think being able to defend 1-v-1 is very important to LFC, as opposed to a club like Chelsea.

I just merely said, maybe Klopp disagrees.  Given what he said that they shouldn't be isolated.  He is also picking Milner as his LB and his weakest area appears to be defending 1-v-1, so that suggests to me it's not a big concern for him. 

Sure, ideally he'd like the structure to be right where 1-v-1 happen rarely, but even then it will still happen and you need a full back who can cope with that.  But you can have the right structure and a full back will still need to be able to cope all sorts of different situations.  You can reduce the amount of times they occur, bu getting the structure right, but a full back in this league will still be tested in all sorts of ways.

Just feel Klopp doesn't value the importance as much as you do, given Milner was his first choice last season and is going to be on of his two choices this season.

I think you are confusing "Kloppīs first choice would be Milner" with "it was either Milner, Flanagan or Moreno until someone else could be obtained more suitable"? I would chose Milner over Moreno based on all the data so far. But I wouldnīt go out and sign him if I wanted a left back.

Klopp is working with what he has and in left back terms, it was nothing good but some worse than others.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2017, 04:22:16 pm »
Babu to Gibbs in this thread!  ;D

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2017, 04:28:45 pm »
I think you are confusing "Kloppīs first choice would be Milner" with "it was either Milner, Flanagan or Moreno until someone else could be obtained more suitable"? I would chose Milner over Moreno based on all the data so far. But I wouldnīt go out and sign him if I wanted a left back.

Klopp is working with what he has and in left back terms, it was nothing good but some worse than others.

I'm not confusing anything Babu.  I like your posts, but don't patronise others by saying things like that.

Yes, Milner was the first choice out of those options.  I'm sure he doesn't want Milner to be his long term first choice, given his age and he's not left footed, to name a few issues with that.  But he was chosen out of those players and he has kept him after four transfer windows since being in the job.

I merely said, and showed Klopp saying as much, that full backs shouldn't be in 1-v-1 situations too often, so maybe he doesn't see it as much of an issue as you do.  Sorry for disagreeing with you, I must be confused, how dare someone show an example where Klopp contradicts what you say. 

I like debate.  I don't like people telling others they must be confused if they don't agree with you.  You're better than that!

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2017, 04:39:06 pm »
So here is a look at just Liverpoolīs  left backs and their rank per category. "Joe Average" in bold is the average premier league full back. I have included Clyne (italics) also.

Player      Crosses    Passes   Shots      Total Blocks per 90    League Rank
James Milner      0,97    1,09   0,14      2,2    1st, 4th, 16th, 3rd
Andrew Robertson      0,71    0,6   0,43      1,74    7th, 13th, 3rd, 8th 
Alberto Moreno      0,43    0,91   0,14      1,48    14th, 8th, 17th, 10th
Nathaniel Clyne      0,31    1,06   0,06      1,43    18th, 5th, 23rd, 12th
Joe Average      0,49    0,66   0,22      1,37    Ee's Bang Average. Get Rid!
Jon Flanagan      0,17    0,2   0,11      0,48    24th, 25th, 20th, 24th

Some things we can learn from this perhaps:-
1. Milner getting tight causes him to get beat too much but he cuts out the most crosses in the league. Could this be protecting Clyne from back post headers hence his exceptionally low numbers?
2. Clyne being hard to beat means people chose to cross against him? Does this result in Milner having a higher than average amount of aerial balls to deal with?
3. Robertson once again comes out as one of the most well rounded full backs in the group.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2017, 04:43:09 pm »
Some things we can learn from this perhaps:-

1. Milner getting tight causes him to get beat too much but he cuts out the most crosses in the league. Could this be protecting Clyne from back post headers hence his exceptionally low numbers?
2. Clyne being hard to beat means people chose to cross against him? Does this result in Milner having a higher than average amount of aerial balls to deal with?
3. Robertson once again comes out as one of the most well rounded full backs in the group.

Interesting.

Do you think maybe Clyne & Milner are low in terms of blocking shots, because maybe Klopp isn't too bothered about players shooting from that area - given the low chance of them scoring?  I don't know, thinking aloud here.

You'd have thought if goals are going to occur from wide positions, crosses or being beaten 1-v-1 are more likely to lead to goals than shots from unlikely areas?!

Also as a team we restrict the opposition to less shots, so maybe that is why they are low in that category too?

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2017, 04:44:49 pm »
I'm not confusing anything Babu.  I like your posts, but don't patronise others by saying things like that.

Yes, Milner was the first choice out of those options.  I'm sure he doesn't want Milner to be his long term first choice, given his age and he's not left footed, to name a few issues with that.  But he was chosen out of those players and he has kept him after four transfer windows since being in the job.

I merely said, and showed Klopp saying as much, that full backs shouldn't be in 1-v-1 situations too often, so maybe he doesn't see it as much of an issue as you do.  Sorry for disagreeing with you, I must be confused, how dare someone show an example where Klopp contradicts what you say. 

I like debate.  I don't like people telling others they must be confused if they don't agree with you.  You're better than that!

You are confusing tactical with technical.

Klopp says that "a full back should not be often 1 on 1, in a situation where he is 1 on 1... in that situation where is the mid field player" <--- that is tactical in the context of team tactics.

Babu is presenting stats that show the individual players ability in a 1 on 1 situation <----- that is technical ie technical ability of the player.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2017, 04:50:36 pm »
You are confusing tactical with technical.

Klopp says that "a full back should not be often 1 on 1, in a situation where he is 1 on 1... in that situation where is the mid field player" <--- that is tactical in the context of team tactics.

Babu is presenting stats that show the individual players ability in a 1 on 1 situation <----- that is technical ie technical ability of the player.

Read my posts, I am not confusing anything.  ;D

Oh my god, debating on this place is very tedious at times.

READ!

Thanks for the definition, I think I know the difference.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2017, 04:51:54 pm »

Sorry, I didnīt mean to come across as patronising.

What I should say instead is people shouldnīt pay too much attention to what people say. We have such a tiny amount of information available to us that we place a very high importance on anything Klopp says or does. Like how he praises Mignolet to the hilt, gives him a new contract, then goes out and buys Karius, then drops Mignolet after a few bad games once Karius recovered from injury.  Migs replaces Karius after some shaky moments and a lot of public bashing.

At each stage in that we accepted what was happening or being said as definitive proof of something. Why would he not rate Mignolet and yet praise him to the hilt? Why would he give him a new contract then if he wanted to replace him? He must want rid if he is signing one of the top keepers in the Bundesliga, he isnīt coming to sit on the bench all season! See, Migs is a good as gone now Karius has the jersey - clearly his number 1 pick. etc etc.

What Klopp is saying is ideal scenario there. What is his aims tactically? What does he plan for before games? But as they say "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy". So once you look at game situations you will see Liverpool full backs need to deal with a LOT of 1-v-1 situations. Especially as we have only 2 center backs, neither of which are former full backs and only 1 deep midfielder who isnīt really an expert DM and also hasnīt played full back before. Whereas if you look at Brazilian DMīs most of them also play full back and offer good cover there.

In terms of who Klopp picks, his left back he picks is actually his least bad option. Moreno is worse. Flanagan is a trainwreck in terms of 1-v-1 defending. So out of a list of 2 full backs he decided to find someone in the squad who no longer appeared first choice in any role and make them full back. Now that he has a season to assess Milner he is going out and signing another full back - one who shows up as being one of the best young full backs in 1-v-1īs that would be available. Probably the best if you look at possible concerns with others, there arenīt any real concerns with Robertson that numbers are showing up yet. So it seems he is getting someone solid in 1-v-1īs now that he has a chance to do so.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:55:27 pm by BabuYagu »

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2017, 04:53:09 pm »

READ!

Apologies again.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
An unbiased look at our full backs
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2017, 04:55:01 pm »

READ!

Lol, no need to be so sensitive.
In fact, I'd just come back to edit my post to say that after re reading your original comment, I had misunderstood your point, when I saw this reply.

Cheers

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2017, 04:58:46 pm »
Sorry, I didnīt mean to come across as patronising.

What I should say instead is people shouldnīt pay too much attention to what people say. We have such a tiny amount of information available to us that we place a very high importance on anything Klopp says or does. Like how he praises Mignolet to the hilt, gives him a new contract, then goes out and buys Karius, then drops Mignolet after a few bad games once Karius recovered from injury.  Migs replaces Karius after some shaky moments and a lot of public bashing.

At age stage in that we accepted what was happening or being said as definitive proof of something. Why would he not rate Mignolet and yet praise him to the hilt? Why would he give him a new contract then if he wanted to replace him? He must want rid if he is signing one of the top keepers in the Bundesliga, he isnīt coming to sit on the bench all season! See, Migs is a good as gone now Karius has the jersey - clearly his number 1 pick. etc etc.

What Klopp is saying is ideal scenario there. What is his aims tactically? What does he plan for before games? But as they say "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy". So once you look at game situations you will see Liverpool full backs need to deal with a LOT of 1-v-1 situations. Especially as we have only 2 center backs, neither of which are former full backs and only 1 deep midfielder who isnīt really an expert DM and also hasnīt played full back before. Whereas if you look at Brazilian DMīs most of them also play full back and offer good cover there.

In terms of who Klopp picks, his left back he picks is actually his least bad option. Moreno is worse. Flanagan is a trainwreck in terms of 1-v-1 defending. So out of a list of 2 full backs he decided to find someone in the squad who no longer appeared first choice in any role and make them full back. Now that he has a season to assess Milner he is going out and signing another full back - one who shows up as being one of the best young full backs in 1-v-1īs that would be available. Probably the best if you look at possible concerns with others, there arenīt any real concerns with Robertson that numbers are showing up yet. So it seems he is getting someone solid in 1-v-1īs now that he has a chance to do so.

I agree that we shouldn't take a managers word as gospel.  I'm just saying, maybe Klopp disagrees with your view.  Ultimately we don't know, I wasn't trying to be difficult, just show him saying that it they shouldn't be in that position often, so maybe he didn't see it as a big issue other other attributes.  Who knows.

Least bad option?  Maybe.  Guess we'll find out if Robertson is 1st choice this season or not.  I know many don't like Milner, but maybe Klopp disagrees.  Plenty don't rate Henderson and think Emre Can should play ahead of him.  But since Klopp has been at the club Henderson has been favoured over Can.  We have these thoughts in what we believe are true, but ultimately none of us can read Klopps mind.  We can merely judge by his actions and so far, he seems happy with Milner.

Will be interesting to see if Robertson goes straight in as 1st choice, or if he's going to be a clear back up or there ill be healthy competition between the two. 

As you say, we don't know what Klopp thinks - we're speculating.

What Klopp has in his mind as his ideal full back, might be different to what you or I think it is.

Apologies again.

No need to apologise, that post wasn't aimed at you. :)

Offline penga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2017, 04:58:48 pm »

This is where expected goals comes into play. Spurs gave up more shots on target than Liverpool last season. The expected goals value of those shots was slightly higher than Liverpool. Yet Liverpool conceded more goals. From those numbers nothing says to me Spurs Defence > Liverpool defence. For me itīs either equal or Liverpool a scratch better.

However, if instead you used results based logic (which I hate), and say Spurs gave up 26 goals, Liverpool 42. Then those numbers say to me Spurs Defence >>> Liverpool defence. That canīt be right though. How can both those numbers be true?

My Answer? Lloris >>>>>>>> Mignolet (+ Karius for 10 games). I think our goalkeeping is swinging what would be title winning shots against numbers into mid table goals against. If you look at shot locations, we give up goals from distance at above the going rate. Why? We give up goals from angles WAY above the going rate. Why? A guy whose stuff I follows believe itīs a weakness of Migs for a while now and he makes a compelling argument for it. If you imagine your positioning if poor for angled shots, you can see how just being 1/2 yard off would result in people being able to get the ball into the far post much easier. It might be something we donīt notice but the stats say itīs happening. Every single year. Regardless of the players in defence, the system, the manager, every year we concede too many from distance and from angles. Like, 100% too much.

Here is the most interesting thing. When compared to averages, Karius crushes it from angles and from long range. He outperforms the averages by almost 50%. He outperforms expected goals consistently (last year was he first he didnīt but then young keeper, new league, teething problems?). His distribution numbers were among the best around too. And heīs young. So it seems like someone at the club looked at all our specific issues and went out and found the best young keeper in terms of outperforming xg, distribution and dealing with shots from angles and long range. Seems he is shite at crosses but then I think most goalkeepers bar the truly world class will have something they struggle with. Plus he can improve. Migs has a lot here with them (ignore that flap last night, he has). I just went back and watched Karius goals against last season in the league and none of them were from the angles that Migs struggled with. One from range was a Payet freekick that we wouldnīt have stopped if Migs and Ward was in goal with him. In fact watching all the Karius goals, he would struggle to stop any of the shots. His problem was more poor goalkeeping that resulted in goals rather than his ability to position himself to reach shots that he should reach.

As for the question about full backs at Spurs though. Imagine for a second you have full backs who struggle on 1-v-1īs, what would be a hack for solving that problem other than just replacing them? 3 at the back. But they only played 3 at the back for 1/3 of their games, what about the rest? First, get center halfs that are good at covering full backs and ideally played full back themselves (both Vertonghen & Alderweireld played full back at Ajax). The second thing you can do is play with 2 DMīs similar to how Benitez did with Masch and Xabi. Did you ever notice how much time they spent helping out the full backs and covering for them?

So this is exactly what Spurs did last season. Their go to formations were either 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-2-1 every game. Dier and Wanyama were the DMīs who saw the most minutes too. Midfielders who are far more D than M I think. Spurs then went with VERY attacking full backs with insane recovery pace knowing that in their DMs and CBs they had players who could cover them while they were up the pitch and also support them well in 1-v-1 situations.
I just can't buy that Mignolet+Karius vs Lloris is the difference between 16 goals though - a few goals OK but not 10+. I would take the stats here with a pinch of salt. Maybe if we could watch back all the goals both teams conceded it may be clearer. I would guess our defence actually gives up easier shots and chances for the opposition regardless of the XG stat because that only mainly points towards the position of the shot and probabilities based on that but it doesn't give you the situation and how difficult the shot against was or how the shot cleanly it was struck. Perhaps that is also why Karius struggled more in his limited time playing for us than in Germany? And maybe Spurs defenders at least put more pressure on the shot takers even if they don't get a clean tackle or block in.

Interestingly the systems Spurs play have resulted in least goals conceded and most goals scored. So definitely not a bad thing, their philosophies are not too far away from our own - maybe could take something from it. Looking at the make up of their team, they are far better at dealing with set pieces and crosses than our team (one of the main preferred avenues to goal for the shit teams we struggle against) so that's one major thing that would cut down their goals conceded as opposed to just the GK. Not only do they have tall mids like Wanyama, Dier, Alli, Dembele they also have Kane who can help out and their fullbacks Walker and Rose (who surprisingly wins 1.8 per aerials per game at 67%) + Davies are very strong in the air. This is for me why I keep going on about aerial superiority for the balance our team.

Also Migs didn't really flap last night - although it wasn't a solid punch, he actually got a hand in there just ahead of Benteke and diverted it away from the danger zone just like Hennessey did at the other end which is a pretty good result up against Benteke jumping for it. He is definitely better than Lloris in this area (based on last season). But ye the only way is up for Karius in dealing with those situations so hopefully he can eventually get towards that level.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:03:57 pm by penga »

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2017, 05:13:01 pm »
I just can't buy that Mignolet+Karius vs Lloris is the difference between 16 goals though - a few goals OK but not 10+.

Sounds a lot, but if they costs us 4 goals and Lloris saved Spurs 4, for example, then that's a difference of 8.

Then let's say we concede more at corners / set plays.  Then that could be the difference between the defences, rather than our actually defending in open play.

I don't know, I'm speculating.  ;D

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2017, 05:23:07 pm »
Babu to Gibbs in this thread!  ;D

I was thinking along the same lines.

Gibbs: "I've heard there's a really good topic on RAWK about fullbacks by BabuYagu. He's a great poster and I love reading his stuff."

::reads topic::

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2017, 05:26:46 pm »
I just can't buy that Mignolet+Karius vs Lloris is the difference between 16 goals though - a few goals OK but not 10+. I would take the stats here with a pinch of salt. Maybe if we could watch back all the goals both teams conceded it may be clearer. I would guess our defence actually gives up easier shots and chances for the opposition regardless of the XG stat because that only mainly points towards the position of the shot and probabilities based on that but it doesn't give you the situation and how difficult the shot against was or how the shot cleanly it was struck. Perhaps that is also why Karius struggled more in his limited time playing for us than in Germany? And maybe Spurs defenders at least put more pressure on the shot takers even if they don't get a clean tackle or block in.

Interestingly the systems Spurs play have resulted in least goals conceded and most goals scored. So definitely not a bad thing, their philosophies are not too far away from our own - maybe could take something from it. Looking at the make up of their team, they are far better at dealing with set pieces and crosses than our team (one of the main preferred avenues to goal for the shit teams we struggle against) so that's one major thing that would cut down their goals conceded as opposed to just the GK. Not only do they have tall mids like Wanyama, Dier, Alli, Dembele they also have Kane who can help out and their fullbacks Walker and Rose (who surprisingly wins 1.8 per aerials per game at 67%) + Davies are very strong in the air. This is for me why I keep going on about aerial superiority for the balance our team.

Also Migs didn't really flap last night - although it wasn't a solid punch, he actually got a hand in there just ahead of Benteke and diverted it away from the danger zone just like Hennessey did at the other end which is a pretty good result up against Benteke jumping for it. He is definitely better than Lloris in this area (based on last season). But ye the only way is up for Karius in dealing with those situations so hopefully he can eventually get towards that level.

Expected goals actually is based on the potential for a goal based on the shot. So while we give up fewest shots, Chelsea have the lowest XG against because they give up shots is worse locations. Ours and Spurs shot maps are almost identical. The biggest difference is the shots marked "save" on theirs are marked "goal" on ours.

I donīt think we have the goalkeeping knowledge to watch back and critique shots that Lloris is saving compared to goals that Mignolet is saving though. As mentioned before, Zenga went into one about this on something I was watching and the adjustments we was suggesting seemed tiny. Yet I guess itīs the difference between touching the ball wide and the ball going past your finger tips. His overall point was bad positioning can make a good goalkeeper look average as he doesnīt need to make spectacular saves and make average goalkeepers look good as they are making world class saves. Goals they conceed are written off as "no keeper is saving that". Well no, they arenīt if your positioning is bad.

Numbers tend not to lie here. If a goalkeeper is outperforming his XA every year then it will indicate good shot stopping and positioning. The opposite is also true. For over three years the top perceived goalkeepers in the world all outperform their XA every year. Mignolet under performs his by one of the biggest measures on record. The other keepers who do are ones like Guzan, Fabianski, etc. I.e. not very good keepers. But they are in totally different systems to ours. Goalkeepers in similar systems who give up high value chances like Spurs, Bayern, etc also have a keeper who massively outperforms their XA numbers. Or City for example, with Hart they hit a little above average on XA. With Bravo they underperform by almost as much as Mignolet. Which indicates that Hart is a better shot stopper than Bravo when all else is equal but was dropped because Guardiola wants a ball player at the back which Bravo is probably the best in the game, if not one of.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2017, 05:28:06 pm »
I was thinking along the same lines.

Gibbs: "I've heard there's a really good topic on RAWK about fullbacks by BabuYagu. He's a great poster and I love reading his stuff."

::reads topic::

LOL I love that crying guy. The gif is funny but the noise he makes really steals the show.

And yes... perhaps the attacks on Gibbs are a little harsh. In my defence though, he gets paid very well to be very shit. Iīm sure that will comfort him somehow :D

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2017, 05:37:47 pm »
It would almost be worth signing Gibbs as backup to look forward to Babu's comments in full time threads.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline penga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2017, 05:39:48 pm »
Expected goals actually is based on the potential for a goal based on the shot. So while we give up fewest shots, Chelsea have the lowest XG against because they give up shots is worse locations. Ours and Spurs shot maps are almost identical. The biggest difference is the shots marked "save" on theirs are marked "goal" on ours.

I donīt think we have the goalkeeping knowledge to watch back and critique shots that Lloris is saving compared to goals that Mignolet is saving though. As mentioned before, Zenga went into one about this on something I was watching and the adjustments we was suggesting seemed tiny. Yet I guess itīs the difference between touching the ball wide and the ball going past your finger tips. His overall point was bad positioning can make a good goalkeeper look average as he doesnīt need to make spectacular saves and make average goalkeepers look good as they are making world class saves. Goals they conceed are written off as "no keeper is saving that". Well no, they arenīt if your positioning is bad.

Numbers tend not to lie here. If a goalkeeper is outperforming his XA every year then it will indicate good shot stopping and positioning. The opposite is also true. For over three years the top perceived goalkeepers in the world all outperform their XA every year. Mignolet under performs his by one of the biggest measures on record. The other keepers who do are ones like Guzan, Fabianski, etc. I.e. not very good keepers. But they are in totally different systems to ours. Goalkeepers in similar systems who give up high value chances like Spurs, Bayern, etc also have a keeper who massively outperforms their XA numbers. Or City for example, with Hart they hit a little above average on XA. With Bravo they underperform by almost as much as Mignolet. Which indicates that Hart is a better shot stopper than Bravo when all else is equal but was dropped because Guardiola wants a ball player at the back which Bravo is probably the best in the game, if not one of.
But they could most definitely lie here because the stats are far from perfect, and that could clearly be a big part of the explanation as to why we concede more from so few shots and highlight an underlying problem with our defending as opposed to goalkeeping - because as I said, Karius numbers also dropped off a cliff compared to when he had great numbers in Germany which might not only be down to a lack of confidence. The data takes into account the potential for goal of a shot from a location but doesn't take into account the actual quality of shot, and the difficulty/pressure the shot maker is facing unless I'm mistaken.

So is Spurs having players better equipped at dealing with aerial crosses and set pieces not a reasonable or perhaps even better explanation as to why we concede so much more than them? Klopp even highlighted himself our weakness in this area and how we "give up goals" due to it while mentioning how Mignolet helped us with it a lot towards the end of the season with his dominance in the air - which also resulted in our overall defensive results improving and his XG numbers as well.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2017, 05:52:06 pm »
But they could most definitely lie here because the stats are far from perfect, and that could clearly be a big part of the explanation as to why we concede more from so few shots and highlight an underlying problem with our defending as opposed to goalkeeping - because as I said, Karius numbers also dropped off a cliff compared to when he had great numbers in Germany which might not only be down to a lack of confidence. The data takes into account the potential for goal of a shot from a location but doesn't take into account the actual quality of shot, and the difficulty/pressure the shot maker is facing unless I'm mistaken.

So is Spurs having players better equipped at dealing with aerial crosses and set pieces not a reasonable or perhaps even better explanation as to why we concede so much more than them? Klopp even highlighted himself our weakness in this area and how we "give up goals" due to it while mentioning how Mignolet helped us with it a lot towards the end of the season with his dominance in the air - which also resulted in our overall defensive results improving and his XG numbers as well.

But that isnīt how statistics work. For example remember that miss of Lallana against Man City? That is valued at something like 0.92 goals. Now if he scored and I showed it to people and said itīs only .92 of a goal they would say "you see that is why expected goals is bullshit. Itīs an open net, nobody near him, no pressure, that is a goal every single time. Even Ronny Rosenthal wouldnīt miss that one. And yet people do, it seems, 8 times out of 100 or whatever the data says.

Likewise we could look at Migs goals and say "yeah nobody is saving that" but then maybe someone would with better positioning. Or perhaps Migs is cursed and all those 1 in 50 shots from angles that people hit, he seems to get the 1 from the 50 that is a certain goal. I just donīt believe in coincidence and you make your own luck. The fact year on year, Migs is in the bottom 3 goalkeepers in the league tells me that maybe his shot stopping or positioning or both isnīt great. I just donīt have the skillset to watch him and point out exactly where he might be going wrong though like I have with Flanagan.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2017, 06:09:55 pm »
But that isnīt how statistics work. For example remember that miss of Lallana against Man City? That is valued at something like 0.92 goals. Now if he scored and I showed it to people and said itīs only .92 of a goal they would say "you see that is why expected goals is bullshit. Itīs an open net, nobody near him, no pressure, that is a goal every single time. Even Ronny Rosenthal wouldnīt miss that one. And yet people do, it seems, 8 times out of 100 or whatever the data says.

Likewise we could look at Migs goals and say "yeah nobody is saving that" but then maybe someone would with better positioning. Or perhaps Migs is cursed and all those 1 in 50 shots from angles that people hit, he seems to get the 1 from the 50 that is a certain goal. I just donīt believe in coincidence and you make your own luck. The fact year on year, Migs is in the bottom 3 goalkeepers in the league tells me that maybe his shot stopping or positioning or both isnīt great. I just donīt have the skillset to watch him and point out exactly where he might be going wrong though like I have with Flanagan.
Can you provide the xA data for Mignolet? I remember looking at his saves per goal conceded ratio and it worsened 4 seasons in a row since his last season at Sunderland. The only keeper with a worse saves per goal conceded ratio in the last of those seasons (15/16) was Brad Guzan. 

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2017, 06:21:17 pm »
Sounds a lot, but if they costs us 4 goals and Lloris saved Spurs 4, for example, then that's a difference of 8.

Then let's say we concede more at corners / set plays.  Then that could be the difference between the defences, rather than our actually defending in open play.

I don't know, I'm speculating.  ;D

Headed chances have a slightly lower xg value than shots as people tend to have better control of a shot location with their feet than head. Which means if you are weak in the air and concede more from that as a result, it could result in your xg appearing lower. That said though, that means that people who head the ball against your team are statistically better than people heading the ball against other teams and that is a hard sell.

For example - the expected goals against for us last season broken down is as follows:-
Game Situation      XGA    GA   Diff
Corner      5,37    7   -1,63   
Indirect Free-kick      2,50    2   +0,5   
Direct Free-kick      1,21    2   -0,79   
Penalty      3,84    3   +0,84   
Open Play      20,92    28   -7,08   

XGA = Expected Goals Against
GA = Goals Against
Diff = Difference

So the corner & indirect freekick numbers almost even themselves out. As do direct free-kick and penalty. The main problem is open play goals.

When those are analyzed our goals conceeded from angle shots and long range are the ones that are far outside averages. Those arenīt us giving up too many easy chances or weak against headers. That seems more like an issue where a goalkeeper isnīt setting himself right for shots. Leaving too much space far post by over compensating near post maybe? No idea. But we are the exception rather than the norm. Or were until City signed Bravo. Now they likewise concede too much from angle shots too. Not nearly to the extent of Liverpool, but enough to raise and eyebrow and think whether Bravo is not as good at protecting his goal as Hart.

Actually close in on goal, Migs does quite well in those instinctive reaction shots. Like that one v Stoke. His problem is more when he has to set himself to protect the goal in preparation for a shot from distance or an angle. I donīt know enough about goalkeeping to show a clip and see "look, heīs 5 inches too far to the left here" but it could be something like that.

I remember Reina being criticised for being beaten near post once on sky. The point was made you protect your near post at all costs. If someone has the skill to get it in at the far post they deserve a goal. Fair enough. Now what if you over compensate to the extent people are scoring too easily back post? The pundits looking at it say "he deserved that goal, he had the skill to curl that in back post" and our knowledge probably makes us arrive at the same point. What if Reina was generally exceptional at saving angle shots as he protected both posts but sometimes someone could surprise him and sneak one in near post? But averaged out he stopped far more shots from angles as normal? Should he have changed what he was going? Do the pundits know best?

Likewise I remember him putting a knee on the ground in a one-on-one last minute to use his leg to stop a nutmeg. He was lobbed. That technique though stop forwards easily nutmegging him and going for much harder shots over the top which he still has his hands to prevent. And yet pundits once again will call a keeper being megged "clever finishing" and a keeper being lobbed "bad goalkeeing". Which one do you think happens more often? Which do you think is the harder skill? Passing through a keepers leg or lobbing it over him just right to clear his hands and keeping it below the bar? Are the pundits right?

When it comes to it, Iīll trust numbers before opinions. Certainly those of random people and pundits. If Walter Zenga or someone of his ilk wants to school me on goalkeeping, Iīll listen. But if someone wants to say the numbers lie and the goals arenīt Mignoletīs fault, Iīll be sceptical. For me that just sounds like people wanting to defend one of their own.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2017, 06:31:31 pm »
Question:- If we get more crosses coming in from the right, and our left back getting beaten more often than our right, and Milnerīs recovery pace isnīt as good as Clyneīs... does that mean our left center back, whoever it may be, is in for a rough ride in comparison to Matip on the right?

I noticed that last night Matip was LCB with Moreno at LB. Gomez was RCB with TAA at RB. Is that because Moreno is good at stopping crosses but poor at 1-v-1īs so we need Matip behind him thus giving Gomez an easier time?

Second half we have Lovren on the right, Klaven on the left. They are playing on their natural feet but Lovren is behind Flanagan who gets beaten more than any full back in the league. Klaven is behind Milner who isnīt nearly as bad as Flanno.

Could our center backs be positioned based on who will best deal with the fallout from our fullback strengths and weaknesses? If so, VVD at LCB looks an absolute dream now. By far the best in the league dealing with aerial balls which Clyne canīt cut out, and (probably) one of the best in dealing with 1-v-1s (although weīll test that if and when we get around to looking at full backs).

Offline eldagara

• Main Stander
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2017, 08:11:51 pm »
Based on the graphs, Flanagan should be sold, preferably to a team who don't know about this thread
So theoretical data/stats on forums should be the final dice to throw Flanagan out? I think the only data/stats that is accurate in football is points gain & points lost that makes teams champions & others relegated. Anything else is the over thinking of human mind that has no relation to players form on pitch, i believe if ten people ask to write stats/data of a player on football pitch, they would have different findings of the same player base on their individual senses(eye saw, heart for likeness etc) that is why stats/data by so call experts is always a screw thing

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2017, 11:12:30 pm »
Expected goals actually is based on the potential for a goal based on the shot.

Any information on how this is calculated/differences among stat services?

I know that baseball analytics has "Platonic" hit locations against which at-bats are measured, was wondering if football had similar ideas for Expected goals- accounting for location, strong/weak foot, spin/no-spin, etc.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:33:49 am by afc turkish »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2017, 11:25:09 pm »
Any information on how this is calculated/differences among stat services?

I know that baseball analytics has "Platonic" hit locations against which at-bats are measured, was wondering if football had similar ideas for Expected goals- accounting for location, string/weak foot, spin/no-spin, etc.

From what I read, there is no industry accepted way at the moment. Ted Knutsen uses a very simple on based on shot location as he wants something easy to maintain and it is "good enough" for what he needs. Others go into way more detail that involves pressure on the shot taker, head, strong foot, weak foot, etc.

Opta doesnīt provide XA & XG data. They merely provide the game data and itīs up to receivers to make their own XG models I believe.

Offline penga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2017, 03:31:56 am »
When it comes to it, Iīll trust numbers before opinions. Certainly those of random people and pundits. If Walter Zenga or someone of his ilk wants to school me on goalkeeping, Iīll listen. But if someone wants to say the numbers lie and the goals arenīt Mignoletīs fault, Iīll be sceptical. For me that just sounds like people wanting to defend one of their own.
Well it appears some are a bit skeptical when it suits and trust the numbers when it suits their own opinions :P - nothing really wrong with that though.

For example when we had a discussion about Ghoulam using the exact same statistical parameters you provided for other fullback comparisons and he came out with elite statistical numbers you added another parameter (which is fair and logical) to try put him back down and offered other potential negative explanations as to why his numbers were so good just like I'm offering potential explanations as to why Mignolet and Karius' numbers are so bad here. Who knows who is more "correct" though because we don't have photographic memory/enough viewings and the expertise as you said, maybe it's a bit of both.

Another example is the statistics really heavily point to Robertson being weak in the air but you have a hard time accepting this just like I have a hard time seeing the above situation. Firstly you missed out putting the number of aerial duels won and only put the % won perhaps in order to show him in a better light in this thread. The numbers say he only won 10 aerial duels in the season at 0.33 per 90 - yet in your opinion he not passive or bad at aerial duels which is a hard sell. If you compare to all other fullbacks in the EPL who played 7 or more games like you did with Ghoulam and number of tackles (who has a really great tackle %) in the Serie A, he in fact comes out as the guy 60th out of 61 in terms of aerials duels attempted above only van Aanholt and 59th in aerial duels won above Amrabat also. You offered explanations that help defend Robertson in spite of the numbers to support your view that he has "no weaknesses" and mused it might have been tactical reasons. But if you apply the same reasoning as you did to Ghoulam and low volume of tackles - this would be in fact giving you "red flags". Furthermore Elmohamady playing in the same system only 4cm taller was outperforming him by 6 times in aerials won but again it was mused that tactical reasons were to blame perhaps in an attempt to defend "your own" (now that Robertson is our own) or your own opinion. Which again is fair enough and not necessarily wrong but could also be indicative of a bit of bias as much as your general analysis and posts are great to read (and a lot of the time I agree with you or even change my opinion to agree with you e.g. on Pepe being able to fit in here as CB). Just like I offered other reasons that Mignolet and Karius (who you keep omitting) did badly statistically last season and in Mignolet's case the seasons before.

So at the end of the day there are compelling statistical data that suggest certain things but people have different opinions and try to support those with their different interpretations of the stats. We all know stats are to be taken with a pinch of salt because they also don't provide the full picture. When the stats say something different to what we expected we either accept it or question it and that has been done in this thread and elsewhere by both of us. But I found that highlighted part a bit patronising because when you reverse it, even you can appear similar in certain situations.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2017, 01:49:36 pm »
Well it appears some are a bit skeptical when it suits and trust the numbers when it suits their own opinions :P - nothing really wrong with that though.

For example when we had a discussion about Ghoulam using the exact same statistical parameters you provided for other fullback comparisons and he came out with elite statistical numbers you added another parameter (which is fair and logical) to try put him back down and offered other potential negative explanations as to why his numbers were so good just like I'm offering potential explanations as to why Mignolet and Karius' numbers are so bad here. Who knows who is more "correct" though because we don't have photographic memory/enough viewings and the expertise as you said, maybe it's a bit of both.

Another example is the statistics really heavily point to Robertson being weak in the air but you have a hard time accepting this just like I have a hard time seeing the above situation. Firstly you missed out putting the number of aerial duels won and only put the % won perhaps in order to show him in a better light in this thread. The numbers say he only won 10 aerial duels in the season at 0.33 per 90 - yet in your opinion he not passive or bad at aerial duels which is a hard sell. If you compare to all other fullbacks in the EPL who played 7 or more games like you did with Ghoulam and number of tackles (who has a really great tackle %) in the Serie A, he in fact comes out as the guy 60th out of 61 in terms of aerials duels attempted above only van Aanholt and 59th in aerial duels won above Amrabat also. You offered explanations that help defend Robertson in spite of the numbers to support your view that he has "no weaknesses" and mused it might have been tactical reasons. But if you apply the same reasoning as you did to Ghoulam and low volume of tackles - this would be in fact giving you "red flags". Furthermore Elmohamady playing in the same system only 4cm taller was outperforming him by 6 times in aerials won but again it was mused that tactical reasons were to blame perhaps in an attempt to defend "your own" (now that Robertson is our own) or your own opinion. Which again is fair enough and not necessarily wrong but could also be indicative of a bit of bias as much as your general analysis and posts are great to read (and a lot of the time I agree with you or even change my opinion to agree with you e.g. on Pepe being able to fit in here as CB). Just like I offered other reasons that Mignolet and Karius (who you keep omitting) did badly statistically last season and in Mignolet's case the seasons before.

So at the end of the day there are compelling statistical data that suggest certain things but people have different opinions and try to support those with their different interpretations of the stats. We all know stats are to be taken with a pinch of salt because they also don't provide the full picture. When the stats say something different to what we expected we either accept it or question it and that has been done in this thread and elsewhere by both of us. But I found that highlighted part a bit patronising because when you reverse it, even you can appear similar in certain situations.

Penga I really am not sure what you want from me here.

Iīve said from the very start that you shouldnīt form opinions on players based on stats, or limited viewing either. I said I would highlight people who "appear" good at a certain skill and then making scouting comments so we could all go out, watch the players and see if what the theory suggests is accurate or, better still not. Then we can look at why the process suggests players are good at something they are not and refine it.

With Liverpool players, the numbers just confirm what I already expected to see. In fact the good (Clyne) look better than I thought due to my natural inclination to be cautious in hyping our own players. The bad (Milner) look worse than I thought because of my natural inclination to want our own to be better.

With Ghoulam though, Iīve only seen a handful of games he would have played in. In those games I was never really watching for Ghoulam or paying attention to him much either. He also never really popped out at me in the way that say Robertson did when watching Hull. Not because Robertson is better than Ghoulam, but because Robertson stood out as being better than the team he was in so you notice him. So when I was watching Hull games I was paying attention to him, not in a scouting way as I didnīt think we would go after him, but I was just paying attention. I didnīt notice him being weak in the air but did concede I wasnīt really looking to see if he was or not and would pay attention when I next saw him. Again, this seems fair, I am not trusting data one way or another, not arguing away that something you believe to be true isnīt the case without first verifying it by further watching. That seems fair. You seem unhappy with that as my answer. Not sure why. My answer wonīt change though. Not until I go out and watch him first hand and see why that is.

If you want to believe Ghoulam is great, if you have satisfied the amount of time you need to see him to confirm what you believe then thatīs great. I canīt agree with you though simply because I have not. If you ask my honest opinion then it is "his numbers look great, but itīs a system based on the amount of failure and therefore if you are tackling less and failing less, is the event simply happening less? If so why?". That seems fair. Again, you seem unhappy with that as my answer. Again, not sure why. Again, my answer wonīt change though until I satisfy myself with more evidence.

I will always treat outliers with suspicion, try to offer an explanation why they are the way they are, but insist that more evidence is obtained before accepting or dismissing them. Thatīs how I learned to treat them in science, that will never change.

As for Mignolet, or Liverpool players in general, the best way to explain that would probably be by saying itīs instinct. Iīve watched god knows how much football in my life. Iīm at the point where I feel I have a fairly good handle on what should happen now in most situations. If I see a shot that goes in from long range that I just "feel" the keeper should have got to, thatīs it. A feeling. When I see a player get faced up 1-v-1 and he gets beaten quite easily I have a feeling there was something he was doing wrong. Itīs like in that moment, my brain replays scenarios that looked similar to that moment and when something is different in the scenario I am seeing, my brain is trying to alert me to that. You donīt quite know what is wrong, you just know itīs something.

So with Mignolet, for a long time I had two contrasting pieces of information. The first is a LOT of anecdotal evidence that he is a great shot stopper. That is supported by clips of him stopping shots greatly. The other is this... instinct, this nagging doubt or feeling that he is not. Iīve had it for as long as Iīve started paying attention to Mignolet in games. I am not a goalkeeper, I cannot watch him and put my finger on why I think what I do, I just do. I donīt mean his fuck ups, those happen to all players. I actually donīt place too much value on those when they happen as long as they are exceptions and happen infrequently enough to not be a big problem.

My bigger problem with players is when their technique is wrong. Their positioning is wrong. Their footing is wrong. Their body shape is wrong. Their decisions are wrong. Those things indicate an underlying problem that might not be being addressed &/or cannot be corrected. I see Flanagan in 1-v-1īs and he is doing a LOT of things wrong. Every time. Which means he is going to always struggle in those situations. If I see him make a mistake, thatīs one thing. It looks bad and it looks bad viewing in a clip or for a pundit to destroy him. But if his feet and body position is wrong and players can just go past him with ease, it doesnīt look too bad and wonīt get much attention, but it will happen so often that itīs a major concern.

There is something like that happening with Mignolet in my head. When I discover expected goals data and realised that XGA was basically a snapshop of value of shots the goal keeper faced vs outcome, I thought it would be interesting to look at all keepers in the top 5 leagues and see if there was any correlation between perceived good keepers and bad keepers in performing against their XGA.

The good news was my theory stood up, the top keepers all came out as the top keepers against outperforming their XGA. Perceived crap keepers all came out as underperforming their XGA. There was a few outliers like Schmeichel who appeared as an elite keeper for one season but is usually around arrange. I can explain that as "form is temporary, class is permanent". For a period of time that Leicester side had many people outperforming predictive models. Every year there will be people who have a surprise year. If enough happen at the same time at the same club then crazy things can happen, like Leicester winning the league.

The bad news is Mignolet came out in that group of crap keepers. It confirmed that feeling I always had that, despite defending Mignolet through his errors, he might simply be not a very good shot stopper. I still couldnīt put my finger on what he was doing wrong. But I had something that confirmed my doubts. I run the data for every season I have data for and every season the top keepers come out looking good. The crap come out looking crap. Mignolet always comes out in the latter group. Always one of the bottom 3 in the league.

In a totally unrelated matter, I was researching the defences of all the premier league teams. What they are doing to prevent goals. How they cut off supply. Where they are weak, where they are strong. In doing so I stumble across an article that shows where teams concede shots from. Almost all clubs have this shape.
* Ignore the Spurs penis. I said IGNORE!

And this finally explains what was bothering me so much. Look at that averages diagram. That makes a LOT of sense. Now look at some of those angles that teams have a 12% chance of scoring from. From the corner of the 18 yard box, teams have a 12% chance of scoring. Nope, thatīs too high.

Then I go out and look at Karius and discover that all these perceived weaknesses in Mignolet are the things which are the perceived strengths with Karius. He outperforms averages by 44% with shots from angles and distance. The two areas Mignolet under performs. He outperforms his XGA too, the 3rd best of all young goalkeepers at top leagues in europe. It felt to me we were scouting someone to replace a specific weakness we had. Sure, Karius had a poor first season with interuptions, but that was expected. I said at the start of the first season he would have a De Gea first season. My hope was he would then continue having De Gea 2nd, and 3rd and 4th seasons rather than having an endless number of De Gea first seasons.

Could I explain away my instinctive feeling when watching Mignolet? Sure. I know little of goalkeeping, who am I to judge. Could I explain away the XGA numbers for Mignolet? Sure, itīs just numbers. I donīt know enough of goalkeeping to say for sure he is actually doing anything wrong. Could I explain away 3 years of numbers across 6 leagues where the best keepers show as the best, the worst as the worst and Mignolet is always in that bottom category? Tricky, but why not. I mean you can explain away almost anything if you want. Can I explain away that contour map for his shots? Sure, itīs just for 18 months of football, which is probably about 70 goals. Quite a small sample size.

But I also like simple answers. When you find yourself needing to go to extraordinary lengths to explain away evidence, sometimes itīs better to take a step back and ask yourself "am I over complicating this?". When all the evidence points to one thing, none of the evidence supports the contrary, do you just accept maybe the evidence is right?

My instinct tells me Mignolet has a goalkeeping problem that results in poor goals. The XGA numbers indicate that year on year he lets in more than he should. The contour maps, for which out of all clubs looked at, Liverpools was most extreme, indicate that our keepers concede goals from further out and harsher angles than others. All this is pointing at one thing. I can argue my way out of it. But should I? The fact Liverpool signed a new first team keeper at the end of the 2015/16 season whose numbers suggest he can eradicate these perceived problems indicates the club may feel the same way too.

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2017, 02:12:59 pm »

Truly awesome effort in trying to validate the numbers and your base instincts - muito obrigado!

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2017, 02:13:42 pm »
For example - the expected goals against for us last season broken down is as follows:-
Game Situation      XGA    GA   Diff
Corner      5,37    7   -1,63   
Indirect Free-kick      2,50    2   +0,5   
Direct Free-kick      1,21    2   -0,79   
Penalty      3,84    3   +0,84   
Open Play      20,92    28   -7,08   

XGA = Expected Goals Against
GA = Goals Against
Diff = Difference

Very interesting. 

As was the other chart you just posted showing the Spurs penis.  It is odd how teams can have a 12% chance of scoring from such wide areas against us.

With regards to the above.

We seemed to concede a lot of goals last season from 'second balls' from corners or set plays.  So initially defending the first cross, but failing to react to the second ball.  Would those goals be accounted for in the 'Open Play' or are 'second balls' still included as 'corners' & 'set plays'?

Looking at our set up at times, we really do look to stop the initial cross.  Even in the friendly vs Wigan (where we conceded off a 'second ball'), you see 7 or 8 players dealing with the initial danger area.  But only 1 or 2 in the area where that ball could drop to deal with four opposition players:

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2017, 02:36:03 pm »
Very interesting. 

As was the other chart you just posted showing the Spurs penis.  It is odd how teams can have a 12% chance of scoring from such wide areas against us.

With regards to the above.

We seemed to concede a lot of goals last season from 'second balls' from corners or set plays.  So initially defending the first cross, but failing to react to the second ball.  Would those goals be accounted for in the 'Open Play' or are 'second balls' still included as 'corners' & 'set plays'?

Looking at our set up at times, we really do look to stop the initial cross.  Even in the friendly vs Wigan (where we conceded off a 'second ball'), you see 7 or 8 players dealing with the initial danger area.  But only 1 or 2 in the area where that ball could drop to deal with four opposition players:

I honestly donīt know the answer. It could go either way. It raises the question when does set-piece end, open play begins? Second ball, third ball, until a stoppage? I saw a pundit once talking about how Liverpool concede too much from set pieces, it was during Rafaīs era. We conceded that night and he tried to link it to what he said earlier. They replayed the goal, it was from a throw in that was recycled amongst the defence and then eventually ended in a goal. His opinion seems to be that because the play started with a throw in, it was a set piece goal. Crazy bastard. I think it was Craig Burley the thick headed twat.

Speaking of Burley, when I lived in Ipswich he was manager there. One day I was getting cash from the machine and realised this guy was standing too close to me. I thought he might be trying to look over my shoulder so took a little step back to make it look like I was making space to get something from my pocket, ended up banging into him. Turned to apologise and say "I didnīt realise you were THAT close" and it was George Burley. And he was lying on the ground. I apologised, helped him up, wished him well. It occured to me after it came out he was an alcoholic that he might have been drunk at the time. Nothing to do with full backs or statistics but there you go. I do stories too. Who knew?

Anyway back to your post. I think that still counts as set piece goal. Iīm tempted to go back and watch all the Liverpool goals last season and see how many originate from corners. If more than 7, Iīll try to work out which they are counting as non-set piece goals. My instinct tells me 7 goals originating from corners sounds about right though.

I think we need to do what we are doing though given our height disadvantage. I imagine if we line up in a more man-for-man system, outside of our 2 center backs we would end up with someone like Milner, Bobby, Hendo & Gini all marking 6-footers like Matic, Foullaini, Pogba etc. Then you have Rafaīs short blanket metaphor coming into play. If you pull it up to cover your chest your feet are cold. You pull it down your chest is cold. Perhaps we know we will have a problem somewhere at set pieces. This way gives us a fighting chance at least of winning first balls and competing for second balls. I do think a player like Keita in the box there would help who is ridiculous on second balls.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2017, 03:29:39 pm »

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2017, 03:31:44 pm »