Author Topic: Blue shite blag - doesn't fool Sven  (Read 2866 times)

Roddysul

Blue shite blag - doesn't fool Sven
« on: May 12, 2003, 09:12:35 pm »
Everton's teenage striker Wayne Rooney has been named in Sven-Goran Eriksson's England squad for three upcoming matches, despite his club saying he has a knee injury.

While Eriksson seems determined to include the 17-year-old, the international career of 39-year-old Arsenal goalkeeper David Seaman appears to be over after he was left out.

England play South Africa in Durban on May 22, Serbia and Montenegro in another friendly at Leicester on June 3 and Slovakia in their next Euro 2004 Group Seven qualifier at Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium on June 11.

Rooney damaged knee ligaments in Everton's last game of the season against Manchester United on Sunday and manager David Moyes says he will not be fit to travel to South Africa -- a trip Moyes had been pleading with Eriksson to spare his striker from making.

Eriksson was unimpressed.

"He's doing a scan today and after that we'll see what's happening," the Swede told reporters on Monday. "But anyhow, he will come on Sunday to our hotel and there we will take a decision if he's coming to South Africa or not."

"Our doctor is talking to their doctor and hopefully he will be fit."

Moyes said on Monday that although the injury was not serious, it was bad enough to rule Rooney out of the Durban game.

"This is a genuine injury and the scan is there to prove it and we will speak to the FA whenever they want us," he told Sky Sports TV.

"I've said all along I thought he needed a break and maybe now its been enforced he will be able to get that."

Eriksson, who has been embarrassed in the past by taking the word of club managers about injured players only to see them make miraculous recoveries, said there was no question of placating Everton by leaving Rooney out of the South Africa squad and recalling him for the two home games.

NO COMPROMISE

"I don't think we should compromise -- I think we should decide after he has seen the doctors -- he does have six days to rest," he said.

"Anyway, it will be very good for him. Every day he is with the players he comes into the family more."

Seaman's career looks to be over after 75 appearances as Eriksson, who is looking ahead to next year's European championship in Portugal, named David James, Paul Robinson and Ian Walker as his three goalkeepers.

"James has played for us (against Liechtenstein and Turkey) and did very well," Eriksson said of the West Ham keeper, who has finally become first-choice after six years of knocking on the door.

"I don't know what's happening with David Seaman for next season. If he goes on playing you never know. If he is playing and playing well, he might come back."

Defender Sol Campbell is unavailable due to an Achilles injury, leaving left back Ashley Cole, one of three players who will join the squad later because of their involvement in Saturday's FA Cup final, as the only Arsenal player involved.

His main rival for the position, Wayne Bridge, will also join the squad upon their return, as will his Southampton team mate James Beattie, the prolific striker getting a chance to win a second cap after being dropped following his first.

There is also a recall for West Ham midfielder Trevor Sinclair, who was impressive in last year's World Cup but who has not played since the September friendly against Portugal.

Skipper David Beckham, who is suspended for the qualifier against Slovakia, will play in South Africa but then be rested for the Serbia match.

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
Re:Blue shite blag - doesn't fool Sven
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 10:53:15 pm »
If I was Rooney (God forbid) I'd tell him where to go ... no break for months and he's making me go to South Africa ... the lad will be fucked by the time he's 20
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 06:04:18 pm »
sounds an attractive proposition :)

Roddysul

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 06:30:25 pm »
mods - how about putting a filter on the word Rooney to say "fatty-goal" instead  ;D

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 08:37:49 pm »
'Test' Rooney
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Roddysul

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 11:40:59 pm »
booo.  boring bastards