Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1824700 times)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #34680 on: April 11, 2023, 10:43:03 am »
I've got a Carrera Vengance mountain bike, 27.5" wheels, it looks like 1" wide rims. Obviously mountain bike tyres.

Would I be able to but & fit 1.5" roadwheels (I don't think I want slim 1") to it and if so will I need new tubes also?

Ta folks.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34681 on: April 11, 2023, 12:46:31 pm »
I've got a Carrera Vengance mountain bike, 27.5" wheels, it looks like 1" wide rims. Obviously mountain bike tyres.

Would I be able to but & fit 1.5" roadwheels (I don't think I want slim 1") to it and if so will I need new tubes also?

Ta folks.

I've replied in the other thread.

Short version: maybe, but also you could just get slick tyres in 27.5"?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34682 on: May 1, 2023, 03:00:17 pm »
In error I've taken my (top) head set bearings off my bike and don't know which way to put them back on, anyone got a clue what order they go on please?

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #34683 on: May 1, 2023, 03:09:58 pm »
does this link help at all?

has a few diagrams that could possibly help work out the order

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/3246/names-bicycle-head-tube-fork-headset-parts/
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34684 on: May 1, 2023, 03:21:35 pm »
liver I think I've sussed it but you're a star for helping matey.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34685 on: May 1, 2023, 04:58:55 pm »
In error I've taken my (top) head set bearings off my bike and don't know which way to put them back on, anyone got a clue what order they go on please?

From top to bottom:

I think.

Some bits are the wrong way round.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34686 on: July 13, 2023, 01:17:24 pm »
@92a.

Picked up some shirts from the Decathlon shop, orange and blue. I could hear my Nan and grandads ashes moving around in the urn, in disgust, it was the 12th yesterday. ;D

I also got a frame bag and a handlebar bag.

Popped up to Halfords and got some tools I think I’ll need, a saddle bag, a pump and tubes.

I ordered 2 pairs of Endura bib shorts and two pairs of shoes, one from Merlin and the other from e-bay. Oh pedals too. That’ll all be here tomorrow.

The bikes coming later today.

I’ve seen a Gore Shake dry jacket, it’s £200. Apparently it’s little more than a race cape, yet it’s totally wind and waterproof.

I can’t think of anything else.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34687 on: July 13, 2023, 01:19:43 pm »
I’m going to read through the thread before I post anything else.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34688 on: July 13, 2023, 03:08:27 pm »
The bikes coming later today.

Oh, new bike day! Pics pls ;D

£200 is good for shakedry, they've gone up a lot since they're somehow discontinued. I'm too stingy for one, but most I know love them.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34689 on: July 13, 2023, 03:30:40 pm »

Oh, new bike day! Pics pls ;D

£200 is good for shakedry, they've gone up a lot since they're somehow discontinued. I'm too stingy for one, but most I know love them.
I can’t  post images as open reach still haven’t finished the install of my broadband, it’s only been 8 weeks. I posting from my phone.

Here’s  a link to the bike. It’s secondhand, immaculate and has a Ultegra 8000 gruppo with Hunt x Mason wheels.

https://bikeindex.org/bikes/654287

I’m watching MVDP descend off a mountain, he looks sublime on the bike.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34690 on: July 13, 2023, 04:42:13 pm »
I can’t  post images as open reach still haven’t finished the install of my broadband, it’s only been 8 weeks. I posting from my phone.

Here’s  a link to the bike. It’s secondhand, immaculate and has a Ultegra 8000 gruppo with Hunt x Mason wheels.

https://bikeindex.org/bikes/654287

I’m watching MVDP descend off a mountain, he looks sublime on the bike.

The Defy frame geometry is not for me, but looks a really good bike. Love the colour though ;D

The wheels - I have a set of Hunt wheels, a different type, but not that happy with them - they roll very well, but the freehub needs replacing frequently. Apparently Hunt have changed the hub now (think twice), and it might just have been my specific model, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore. Also a mate, who's a bit on the heavy side, kept breaking them. They gave him warranty replacements, but think after the third set he had enough and got something else. On the other hand, I know a sortof ex-pro rider, who's sponsored by them and seems happy.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34691 on: July 13, 2023, 07:31:52 pm »
Bike got delivered, it’s beautiful. The frame wheels and drivetrain are immaculate. Makes a weird sound when you tap it. It’s not steel. I took it down the prom and on several occasions I reached down to the down tube to shift. :(

The gears are amazing as are the brakes, just like going from the Wright brothers to Apollo 11. The saddle and tyres will have to go. The saddles too soft and the tyres felt like I was riding on solid rubber, I used to ride on tubular’s. I looked at tyres and the ones that looked the best were Continental GP 5000. Are they as good as their reviews?

I’d be grateful for any thoughts on what are the best saddles.

Thanks.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34692 on: July 14, 2023, 08:16:36 am »
Yeah GP5000s, current top tyre thats actually useful. Very low rolling resistance, good puncture protection. Can be hard to find in certain sizes, and too expensive at full price.

I'm on Schwalbe Pro Ones, but think the Contis score a bit better now.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34693 on: July 14, 2023, 08:18:28 am »
Glad you're enjoying your bike, great to get out no matter what you're riding but a new bike needs celebrating, hope you have some great adventures on it, recently had 2 years off my bike and couldn't do any form of exercise, no running, weights or cycling, the thing that I realised was how important exercise was to me both physically but especially mentally. I never thought I'd be able to ride again and was really down, was beginning to accept it and readjust for a sedentary life, but ended up lucky, got better and tomorrow out with my mates doing a ten mile TT,  it's more of a social thing than a serious ride, we're all different abilities from ex-racers to some of us who are social riders, we handicap it so we all have a chance, we're all firefighters or ex firefighters who have cycled together for years, over the years watched our kids grow, been through loads of up's and downs in life but the cycling has kept us all sane and looking out for each other, it really is a social thing, over the years we've had great times and lows, we recently lost one of our great mates to leukaemia, partly it's just an excuse to have a party and raise a glass to a great fella and a talented cyclist and a good mate. I missed two years, but attempted it last year although my time was down by over 5 minutes, so buzzing to be back out, even did sa colobra last October, after going the year before, not being able to ride but sitting in the bar while everyone was out, never thought I'd be able to ride that again, used to get sick riding two or three miles on the flat at less than 10 mph, they got me an electric bike and I couldn't go more than two or three miles in the Mallorca lanes without feeling effects, I Feel privileged to enjoy cycling again hope you get similar from your new bike.

I've got the GP4000's on my bike can't fault them in 28mm width, saddles are so individual hard to give advice, I've got a woman's mimic saddle which works for me, but what do I know ;D

So good to hear you're back out riding!!  Enjoy the summer :D

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34694 on: July 14, 2023, 08:33:05 am »
Yeah GP5000s, current top tyre thats actually useful. Very low rolling resistance, good puncture protection. Can be hard to find in certain sizes, and too expensive at full price.

I’ve ordered the 5000’s in 30mm. The tyres that came with the bike were Victoria Zaffiro, too hard not supple in any way whatsoever. £93 with a couple of tubes thrown in.

I’ve been reading through the thread since I woke up at 4am and I’ve seen that Fizik Aliante saddles have a good reputation in here and in the further online cycling community. I ordered one.

I also saw posts about jerseys from China, from AliExpress, are these as good as they look online?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34695 on: July 14, 2023, 08:51:56 am »
I have one really nice fake castelli, and one not so nice fake castelli. ;D

Haven't looked for a bit, last time I could only find fake pro kit on ebay. All the football shirt stuff seems to have moved to DHgate, so maybe on there.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34696 on: July 14, 2023, 09:15:47 am »

Haven't looked for a bit, last time I could only find fake pro kit on ebay. All the football shirt stuff seems to have moved to DHgate, so maybe on there.
Ta. I’ll have a look later. :wave

Offline madds

• Kemlynite
« Reply #34697 on: July 14, 2023, 09:19:46 am »

I used to run Scwalbe Pro One's on my bike and they are excellent tyres, fast and low rolling resistance - I found they wore out quickly though.

The Conti GP 5000 tubeless are as good but more durable, I think.

Offline madds

• Kemlynite
« Reply #34698 on: July 14, 2023, 10:06:32 am »
4000 s are great tyres both fast and durable probably 2000 miles on mine, no doubt the 5000’s are similar, I got a great deal on 4000’s and would probably look at 5000’s when replacing them

Yes, I used to have the 4000's, but wasn't sure you could buy them anymore? The 5000's are expensive. I have probably done similar miles, though they look like they may need replacing before the winter.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34699 on: July 14, 2023, 11:47:59 am »
Cheers J, are you still getting out as much, are you riding with a club, still commuting? Hope everything is going well for you.

Getting out a bit, not as much as before, can't be bothered to be away for the whole day anymore, so mostly do shorter rides.The club has fallen apart a bit, I think all the clubs are struggling. Think with strava and all the info on the internet, people don't need clubs anymore to just ride. Its a shame because it also affects the grassroots racing scene, less organisors, events, helpers etc.

Commute is 15 min into town now. :)

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34700 on: July 14, 2023, 11:51:29 am »
Yes, I used to have the 4000's, but wasn't sure you could buy them anymore? The 5000's are expensive. I have probably done similar miles, though they look like they may need replacing before the winter.

I couldn't get gp5000s for an affordable price so went with the Schwalbe's again a couple of months ago. I'm happy with them, but other tell me the Contis have better puncture protection. The 5000s also test faster, the Schwalbes are more like the 4000s.

I've had Schwalbe One before (not pro), also very reliable, but slower. Took all my accidental offroad routes in their stride without problems.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34701 on: July 14, 2023, 08:46:57 pm »
Got everything I ordered, and it’s been lovely weather most of the day.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34702 on: July 20, 2023, 01:05:53 pm »

Some nice looking tops in here, I might order a few. Apropos of that Gore Shakedry, worth every penny. I went out for my first ride on Saturday and got caught in a torrent of rain, bone dry and no sweaty build up inside. Rolls up into a ball the size of a small orange too.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34703 on: July 20, 2023, 01:08:12 pm »
I probably got the last stock heavily discounted
£93 for 5000.  ;D I’ve no reference other than the Vittoria  that were on the bike when I got it, they’re so much better.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34704 on: July 20, 2023, 01:25:02 pm »
Went out for my first ride last Saturday, things have changed.

The gears are amazing, especially when shifting under pressure. The frame is so comfortable, if a little dead, no feedback from the road. I suppose over distance that’s a good thing as there’s less stress on the riders body.

Pedals. These are amazing. The last time I rode it was  toe-clip pedals, these are great at transferring power, on the push and pull.

I rode from the city centre to the East Lancs to see how busy it might be, there’s a bike path, all the way to Billinge. ;D

I rode back to Windle and there’s another bike path along the Rainford By-Pass, this is nuts. I rode to the end of that and then got lost in Skem. I ended up at the bottom of the climb that goes up to Dalton and Ashurst Beacon, I can no longer ride up climbs :D  It was horrific. The gears, pedals and bike did all the work. I think I rode about 40 miles.

I went out the next day and went back to Ashurst via Billing and Upholland, it’s easier from that side, it was still hard work. Oh yeah, my iPhone made the suffering and getting lost easier, music to suffer by and the maps in my phone, brilliant.

Today I decided to go a bit further, so I rode to Horwich via Wigan and Hindley. My knees are sore and I got a pain in my foot in the same area as the cleat, hopefully that’s a passing issue. The upside was the 72 miles I managed, and I mean managed. ;D

I thought I’d leave a report back as you’ve all been so helpful. Thank you.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #34705 on: July 21, 2023, 08:34:16 am »
Vittoria are good tyres, loads of my mates on them, came 7th out of 16 in TT, but won the handicap, lashed the money back in the kitty, most improved rider from last year, overtook 3 on two minute intervals, 3 slowest riders before me, got to be honest I wasn't clean, couldn't get an asthma exemption so was juicing on beetroot
;D ;D ;D ;D

I juice every time I ride with a coffee the size of your head!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34706 on: July 22, 2023, 11:33:15 am »
;D  After your 100 miler, you still getting out mate
I had elective shoulder surgery last weekend mate so I'm not allowed to do fuck all. It;s making me well itchy, but I can barely pick me nose so you have to know when to give it a rest.

To say I love my bike, something I acknowledge is inanimate, is an understatement, I literally talk to it ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully won't be long and be back to doing 35 miles any day it's not pissing down

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34707 on: August 1, 2023, 04:59:21 pm »
Been messing around in Greater Manchester, Wigan , Hindley, Bolton. Just doing between 70/80 mile rides. Lots of easy climbing and feeling good.

Went to Wales this morning. I suffered like I’ve not suffered since I was a kid. I rode to Hawarden and over to the Corwen road. On the Corwen road I was climbing at about 10 mph. I then turned off at Llandegla, just to get away from the wind. I rode up the Shelf, more hard work, and the descent was horrendous. It’s closed from next week to be resurfaced. I rode into Ruthin and headed over to Pen Barras, I expect you’ve all ridden this, I didn’t. Fortunately it was closed for works. ;D

Rode up Bwlch, dropped into Mold and then back via Deeside to home. I’m tired.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34708 on: August 1, 2023, 05:31:18 pm »
Been messing around in Greater Manchester, Wigan , Hindley, Bolton. Just doing between 70/80 mile rides. Lots of easy climbing and feeling good.

Went to Wales this morning. I suffered like I’ve not suffered since I was a kid. I rode to Hawarden and over to the Corwen road. On the Corwen road I was climbing at about 10 mph. I then turned off at Llandegla, just to get away from the wind. I rode up the Shelf, more hard work, and the descent was horrendous. It’s closed from next week to be resurfaced. I rode into Ruthin and headed over to Pen Barras, I expect you’ve all ridden this, I didn’t. Fortunately it was closed for works. ;D

Rode up Bwlch, dropped into Mold and then back via Deeside to home. I’m tired.
Very close to my neck of the woods, lovely around Ruthin, although they love a fucking hill over that way ;D

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34709 on: August 3, 2023, 11:36:22 am »
Very close to my neck of the woods, lovely around Ruthin, although they love a fucking hill over that way ;D
Gave that Wales lark a swerve earlier. Hard work over there mate. I'm too arl and weak to be riding over there. ;D

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34710 on: August 3, 2023, 11:40:29 am »
I went out earlier, did over 80 plus miles, more climbing and felt strong for the whole ride. Nuts.

I also got a load of gear from AliExpress yesterday. Jerseys are great.A little front light for £10, really well made and very bright. A nice little waterproof handlebar as well, decent kit for next to nothing.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #34711 on: August 3, 2023, 07:05:08 pm »
I went out earlier, did over 80 plus miles, more climbing and felt strong for the whole ride. Nuts.

I also got a load of gear from AliExpress yesterday. Jerseys are great.A little front light for £10, really well made and very bright. A nice little waterproof handlebar as well, decent kit for next to nothing.
speaking of aliexpress, the rion sports stuff is great, and delivered in a few days, they are like a legit independent brand on there as opposed to knockoff stuff
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1102513532?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.2.230a500drQRqZv
YNWA

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34712 on: August 3, 2023, 08:26:49 pm »
speaking of aliexpress, the rion sports stuff is great, and delivered in a few days, they are like a legit independent brand on there as opposed to knockoff stuff
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1102513532?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.2.230a500drQRqZv
Thanks mate, I'll have a nose in there. :wave

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34713 on: August 4, 2023, 08:56:02 am »
Sore legs everything. ;D Going to wait for the traffic outside to die down a bit and then I'm off down the prom.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #34714 on: August 10, 2023, 09:07:37 pm »
Back training regularly again, double days on the turbo mainly until I get my legs back. Feels good
YNWA

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34715 on: August 29, 2023, 01:03:49 pm »
Does anyone here have heat moldable shoes, and how complicated is it? can this be done by an average idiot?

Bont Riot were recommended to me by a fitter and I've had a look and they seem pretty cool but this molding business is making me think that it'd be good cos one of my feet is a little wider than the other but also worried I'll totally fuck it up. If you have any other recs for shoes though/think these are shit then fire away.

I have Shimano ones at the min, they don't need urgently replacing cos I only use them indoors but I've noticed lately my feet are sliding/moving back and forth in the shoe and it's a bit distracting, unless it's something daft like I need new insoles? Does that sound plausible?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34716 on: August 29, 2023, 03:13:15 pm »
Does anyone here have heat moldable shoes, and how complicated is it? can this be done by an average idiot?

Bont Riot were recommended to me by a fitter and I've had a look and they seem pretty cool but this molding business is making me think that it'd be good cos one of my feet is a little wider than the other but also worried I'll totally fuck it up. If you have any other recs for shoes though/think these are shit then fire away.

I have Shimano ones at the min, they don't need urgently replacing cos I only use them indoors but I've noticed lately my feet are sliding/moving back and forth in the shoe and it's a bit distracting, unless it's something daft like I need new insoles? Does that sound plausible?

My mate had some moldable ones, think he had to stick them in the oven at a set temperature and then put them on. Don't think I'd trust my oven to hold any sort of temperature and would likely just burn them. But then I don't shop in the price range moldable shoes come in.

I'd try new insoles. They can get squished over time. Specialized make some with different height of arch support, they might work for you? (Could also try adjusting the lacing, or wearing different socks - maybe you changed to thinner socks, because its summer?)

If you need wide shoes, apparently Lake make good ones, where you can get different widths as well as lengths.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34717 on: August 29, 2023, 04:39:14 pm »
Yeah! I watched a video and that was the process, put them in the oven and that's where I know I'll fuck it up! Do you not think it's worth the hassle? I don't have flat feet or arch issues or anything. Going by the Bont sizing chart I don't need a wide fit, don't wear wide fit in normal shoes or anything.

The Bont ones didn't seem that expensive, the one's I've been looking at are £100, though I do like the all black ones for £140.

Haven't changed the type of socks, must be the insoles unless my feet have shrunk! ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34718 on: August 29, 2023, 05:20:27 pm »
Think you can repeat the molding process, so could try? The price seems ok, cycling stuff has gone expensive like everything else.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34719 on: August 31, 2023, 12:10:43 pm »
I think I'm gonna get them, after measuring my feet and looking at the size of my current ones, mine now are a 43 but I'm right to the millimetre a 42.5.

I took the insoles out of my current ones and stood on it, there's clear space in front of my toes even with weight forward, what a dick I am.