Author Topic: Oh Sami, Sami ...  (Read 20167 times)

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
Re: Oh Sami, Sami ...
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2009, 07:42:55 am »
HYYPIA: SADNESS, BUT NO REGRETS
Jimmy Rice 22 May 2009

Sami Hyypia has spoken of his sadness at leaving Anfield without a title winners' medal - but the 35-year-old insists he will keep his fingers crossed Liverpool finally clinch Barclays Premier League glory in 2009-10.
The Finland international claims he will look back on his decade on Merseyside with no regrets having helped transform Liverpool back into one of Europe's elite clubs.

His haul of winners' medals includes the Champions League, UEFA Cup, two FA Cups, two League Cups and two Super Cups.

Only the Premier League has eluded Hyypia - but the veteran defender will not be bitter if Liverpool's long wait ends next term.

"I am sad to miss that medal but I don't think I have anything to regret," he said. "Next season it might happen but I only play 10 games and I wouldn't get a medal anyway.

"That played a part in my decision to leave. When I first came here I couldn't have believed I would be here for 10 years and win the things I have won. I am sadder for the fans that Liverpool haven't won the Premier League than for myself.

"I will keep my fingers crossed that the fans get what they deserve."

Hyypia bids farewell to the Kop on Sunday before beginning a two-year stint at Bayer Leverkusen.

His reception this weekend is likely to rival that which greeted Robbie Fowler when he left for the second time two years ago - not that the humble Finn is relishing being the focus of attention.

He said: "I won't like being the centre of attention, not at all. But in this case I have no choice.

"It is not like I am retiring. I have a new challenge ahead of me but it will be very emotional and it is better not to think about that too much before the game."

As well as a contract offer from Liverpool, Hyypia had options with other Premier League clubs.

"I would have had to move house wherever I went so I thought, why not a different country and a different league?" he added. "Plus Leverkusen really wanted me.

"For 10 years I have played in the same league, in the same stadiums and against the same clubs mainly, so now I have a chance to go to Germany which is a good league.

"I seriously thought about hanging my boots up at the end of this season but everyone I know who has retired, such as Gary McAllister, has told me I should play as long as I can. I have shown when I have played this season that I can still play to a high level."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164485090522-1036.htm

---

We definitely are losing a legend.  :'(
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2009, 11:31:29 am »
XABI: SAMI IS THE MODEL PRO
James Carroll 23 May 2009 
  Xabi Alonso has described Sami Hyypia as the "perfect example" to other footballers ahead of the evergreen defender's Liverpool send-off against Tottenham Hotspur this weekend. 
The big Finn will part company with the Reds this summer after agreeing to join German club Bayer Leverkusen on a two-year deal.

Alonso admits he will be sad to see the 35-year-old leave Anfield, but is understanding of Hyypia's decision to move to pastures new.

"I understand why Sami is leaving," Alonso told LFC Magazine.

"Sami has got a competitive mind. He wants to be involved and be part of the first XI wherever he is. He will probably have more chance of playing regularly at Bayer Leverkusen.

"Saying that, I could have seen him remaining with us too. But it is his decision and we have to respect it.

"As long as he is happy with his decision I am happy for him."

Hyypia took the Spain international under his wing when Alonso moved to Liverpool from Real Sociedad in 2004, with the duo often rooming together on away trips.

Therefore, the midfielder has firsthand experience of why the centre-back is so revered both on and off the pitch at Anfield.

"I was Sami's room-mate for my first four years at Liverpool," said the Reds' number 14.

"He has been a good performer on the pitch and also off it. His attitude is always to be totally respectful and honest with everyone. I like this way.

"He has been a great player, a great person and a great servant to the club.

"Sami has been the perfect example and also a fantastic Liverpool player. Because of that, all the players here have a great affection for him. His attitude and honesty have always stood out.

"He is always in a good mood around the place. Sami is the model professional and will be remembered for years by the fans, players and staff alike."

Alonso is confident Hyypia will be a big success in the Bundesliga, adding: "Whenever he has played this season he has done very well.

"Whenever he was needed he was there. His level of performance has always been very good. That is what you can expect from a model professional, as Sami is.

"I can see him playing very well in Germany. I'm sure he will do very well there. We will have to keep an eye on Bayern Leverkusen's results next season."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164495090523-0911.htm

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2009, 03:18:17 pm »
He commands respect - even affection - across the English football world, not just in Liverpool. This is partly because of the consistently high calibre of his defending, partly because he committed to one club for 10 years, and partly because no one can conjure an image of Sami deliberately kicking or elbowing an opponent or abusing the ref. He has played the game in a way that all football lovers would like to see it played.

I wouldn't dream of mentioning wankers like Ferdinand, Terry and Carvalho in a thread devoted to Sam, but if I did it would just be to say that none of these centre backs, after retiring, will leave such a grace note on the game as our big Finn.

Good luck in Germany, Sam.     
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline usmaan omer

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2009, 03:58:28 pm »
Legend. Latest appearance against Man Utd was flawless. Gutted to see him go.

Offline Hyderabad Red

• Is back... and having an identity crisis.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2009, 05:14:18 pm »
quality peice

awesome player..will miss him

:wave

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2009, 06:38:42 pm »
Sami, I love all your work.  I will admit, I'm hammered...

I hope when we win the league next year - someone will donate their Premier League winners medal to you.  All the best in the future big man...
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline skythelimit

• Anny Roader
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2009, 09:49:35 am »

HYYPIA TO TAKE FINAL BOW

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/102944/Hyypia-to-take-final-bow

Liverpool will wave goodbye to a legend on Sunday when veteran defender Sami Hyypia takes his final bow at Anfield.

The 35-year-old Finnish international will bring the curtain down on 10 years with the club, insisting Liverpool are on the brink of winning the title and promising to be back one day as a coach.

"I would like to come back to Liverpool one day as a coach, and it was great to hear the manager would like me to return," he said.

Hyypia has turned his back on lucrative contracts offered at Anfield as a player as well as a job on the coaching staff, now his season-long deal has come to a end.

But Hyypia is determined to play on regularly at the highest level possible, and has signed a two-year deal to join German club Bayer Leverkusen.

Hyypia may well get a last start in the Liverpool side against Spurs, maybe even as captain, but he will certainly figure in the proceedings.

"Coaching has always been in my mind, but I have to take my badges first. I have not done that yet because I want to keep playing, and I thought at this stage it would be a burden," he added. "But at the end of my playing career I will look to take the badges and then see (what happens). I have so many memories of Liverpool, and really would love to return one day.

"I think it will only be after I have finally left that I will be able to sit back and realise what we have done in my 10 years. It is hard to take in now. It is nice to be remembered here."

Hyypia maintains Liverpool are closing on the title after this season's close effort.

He said: "The only thing that bothers me is that I will leave Liverpool without a Premier League medal, that disappoints me as much for the fans. But the club will do it soon. This season has shown that we can push any team right to the end. Everything looks very bright for next season, and hopefully the team can move their confidence up another level."

Offline booty

• Main Stander
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2009, 11:46:39 am »
Some excellent posts about an excellent footballer, the best defender I have ever seen at Anfield and I am 28 years old.

I remember going to Leeds for a Monday night game in Sami's first season and there was alot of worry about Darren Huckerby's pace against Sami. Some near me were saying that Sami was great in the air but was very slow and the on-form Huckerby would have him for breakfast.

Well, Huckerby picked up the ball and knocked it past Sami and ran, Sami turned and totally outpaced, outmuscled and then outplayed Huckerby with a great turn and pass to Hamann. Me and the lads looked at each other and after years of "Babb, Kvarme and Ruddock" all thought the same thing without saying anything - We have a player here !

But that touch at Old Trafford was pure class, with Andy Gray harping on about the ageless Giggs, Scholes etc and the brilliance of Rooney and Ronaldo who would have thought that a £2.5 million signing from Holland would upstage them all with the moment of the game. If that was Ferdinand it would still be getting played now but Sami just got on with it.

Amazing guy, amazing player and a Liverpool Legend - proud to say that I watched his whole Liverpool career and defintely the best defender I have ever seen at Anfield.

Good Luck Sami but I have a feeling that you belong to this club and one day you will be back in some capacity !

Offline Sabu Pundit

• Genius obviously.
  • Main Stander
  • Youth Never Wore Cologne
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2009, 12:56:28 am »
my scouse me bastard heart cannot be lift by even a Hulk Hogan python biceps and it is because we said God Be With Hymn to our fave Handy Scandi what is the gentlest BFG.  You all known plenty good time now that Pundit is hallmark epitome of hard man in mold Chiles Branson but heathen me is blinking 'em back and rising swelling in throat simla to swallowed whale's bollock. HE IS GONE, he is detach, our Semi Hooper.

What manner human sapien cannot got a warmest faction that is flowed all over a cup brim for the said? This is a men like what Ms Carry-on Carpeter singing "the angles got together an' crate a wet dream cum true". Them Celestine hosts they made him blondier than dead pig off Hollywood, Ms Jean Harlot. Them got Helix Concise Set aplenty to designate the super square Semi jaw and nose and forehead combinations that is surpass even human cubes Ms Mini Drivel & Damien Coolturd and plus devil's work what was Mr Boris Carlot's Fucken Stain.
Sabu is tall and posing figure, but EVEN it is pale by compassion to sky scraper Semi. If Pundit possess Semi-ish lean muscle-chair gigantic strongs then, and without a shudder offer doubt, the Pundit FIST would be deliver a summery justice smack knuckled sandwich to plenty faeces all and Sundry and probably Monday an' all. It is mark off Semi's golden blindman's dog tempermint that he eschew breakin' schnoz of all manner Premiere Shit's dirty bastard wind-up mercantiles.

Talkin' cork suckers, the Queen' s the gendermen off Press & Flea Streak is chat wank 'bout are man for Dong King's years e.g "he sooo slow". My Dear Kuntz, when you have postional scents betterer than GPS and so much experiences then pays is irreverence to point he cod be a amputee. Semi is benevolent Davros or cross betwixt Dane Fanny Grey Thommo & Stiffun Hawkeye.

In short, Semi is are friend. We proud and daylighted to make quaint ants of this consummating professional. HE is what we wish we can be and what the wimmin want up them. HE is hero. Fair well bigger man! When the Nissan Bluebird is over the Wyclef off Dover, when we winning the 19 and free world off Manchaser tyranny, just you wait and see, we shall remember HIM.
Dojo dreams be Tostao blown
Wark on, Wark on
Withe Thorpe injure Park

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2009, 01:15:33 am »
Hmm, is it Sabu Pundit's ghost or did I just falsely accuse macca888?

(then again, you never see him or macca888 post at the same time...)
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Jaska

• Hävytön mulkku - cheek shagger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2009, 07:40:02 am »
Talkin' cork suckers, the Queen' s the gendermen off Press & Flea Streak is chat wank 'bout are man for Dong King's years e.g "he sooo slow". My Dear Kuntz, when you have postional scents betterer than GPS and so much experiences then pays is irreverence to point he cod be a amputee.
:lmao

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2009, 12:53:59 pm »
sami at assen with ducati and fellow finn kallio.

asked whether he was learning german- he said he was learning it. also endorsed rossi.

nice to see the legend again. :)

Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2009, 10:53:38 pm »
Sabu Pundit's legendism (?) is strangely in contrast to the amount of posts he's made ;D

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2009, 11:12:59 pm »
Sami -All the liverpool supporters love you man.
YNWA

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2009, 03:27:40 pm »
Beautifully put Sabu, as ever.

Semi is benevolent Davros or cross betwixt Dane Fanny Grey Thommo & Stiffun Hawkeye.
is my favourite bit ;D
Yep.

Offline ~Torres~

• Main Stander
  • Keep that hope in your heart
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2009, 04:21:24 pm »
Wonderful player Ohh Sami Sami!!

YNWA
With Hope in your heart you will never walk alone

YNWA-LIVERPOOL4LIFE

royhendo