Author Topic: Michael Owen  (Read 349270 times)

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
Re: Michael Owen
« Reply #2600 on: March 11, 2019, 02:22:25 am »
YNWA

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #2601 on: March 14, 2019, 09:25:31 pm »
Ian Wright gets a lot of stick on here but i've got a lot of time for him, when Arsenal aren't good enough he just admits it but isn't afraid to praise other sides without going over the top massively either. Seems to really take to young talents and just genuinely love the game while taking it for what it is, you don't see any venom or disgust from him like you get from the likes of Neville. Obviously he says some silly things but I think he's one of the better pundits and he asys 'us' a lot when it comes to Arsenal. The fact he loves Trent so much is also great to see ;D
Agree 100% with this.
Think what makes Wrighty so likeable is that he's straight - he doesn't shit around with snidey or sarky stuff.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2602 on: September 3, 2019, 12:18:29 am »
Got a lot of flack from United supporters for not celebrating last night. Some even going as far to say give your medal back.

Amazing how he has alienated every club.

He's now done Newcastle, just Stoke to go really.

He's said Newcastle is not a big club (except for the number of fans and the stadium) and he never wanted to go there. He is right of course but why not keep your gob shut about a club that paid you handsomely for little return. Newcastle were not that big but at that they turned out to be bigger than Michael Owen. He was one of the players who helped them get relegated after all.

He really is an ego on legs, great player until he left us but loved more by his horses than the fans of any club he played for.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jun/14/michael-owen-newcastle-united-sales-brochure
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 12:20:57 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2603 on: September 3, 2019, 01:24:38 am »
He's now done Newcastle, just Stoke to go really.

He's said Newcastle is not a big club (except for the number of fans and the stadium) and he never wanted to go there. He is right of course but why not keep your gob shut about a club that paid you handsomely for little return. Newcastle were not that big but at that they turned out to be bigger than Michael Owen. He was one of the players who helped them get relegated after all.

He really is an ego on legs, great player until he left us but loved more by his horses than the fans of any club he played for.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jun/14/michael-owen-newcastle-united-sales-brochure

Definitely not buying this book.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2604 on: September 3, 2019, 05:51:42 am »

It begs the question, who would? I couldn’t imagine anything worse than wasting my time reading that pile of rubbish. Actually, imagine having to listen to him read it to you ...

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2605 on: September 3, 2019, 09:46:59 am »
Read a few extracts and he’s gone in on both Shearer and Newcastle. I imagine the latter’s fans will hate him after some of the stuff he’s come out with.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #2606 on: September 3, 2019, 10:53:49 am »
The Newcastle stuff is pretty shameful, just saying he regrets that move, they're not as big as they think they are, wishes he'd come to us etc.... alienating himself from another group of fans... I am sure he wants it to be slightly controversial to get clicks/sell copies but this guy is gonna have the whole country hating him at this rate.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2607 on: September 3, 2019, 11:09:20 am »
The extracts I've read are Partridge-esque.

The man is a fucking clown and a bit of a c*nt.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2608 on: September 3, 2019, 11:23:51 am »
Him and Shearer - handbags on twitter :lmao

michael owen
@themichaelowen
Not sure you are as loyal to Newcastle as you make out mate. I distinctly remember you being inches away from signing for Liverpool after Sir Bobby Robson put you on the bench. You tried everything to get out.
https://twitter.com/themichaelowen/status/1168822808614526976?s=20

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2609 on: September 3, 2019, 11:33:21 am »
The Newcastle stuff is pretty shameful, just saying he regrets that move, they're not as big as they think they are, wishes he'd come to us etc.... alienating himself from another group of fans... I am sure he wants it to be slightly controversial to get clicks/sell copies but this guy is gonna have the whole country hating him at this rate.

That's nothing new, though.

The amount of abuse he gets on social media is pathetic. People are sheep.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 11:36:34 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2610 on: September 3, 2019, 11:39:30 am »
Reading the serialised bits it's like listening to Alan Partridge. No awareness whatsoever.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2611 on: September 3, 2019, 11:44:12 am »
I don't like the guy but Shearer might want to keep quiet. He was paid handsomely by Newcastle but still wanted to move quite often.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2612 on: September 3, 2019, 11:51:52 am »
I don't like the guy but Shearer might want to keep quiet. He was paid handsomely by Newcastle but still wanted to move quite often.
yeah people in glass houses and all that

afaik it was around summer 2003 when we were linked with it. I dont remember much about it at the time, or anything actually but Phil thompson said in his book it was actually a goer

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2613 on: September 3, 2019, 11:56:04 am »

Did Shearer claim that he never considered leaving the club?

The point is that Owen is openly disrespecting Newcastle fans for no real reason (other than the fact that he appears to be a bitter misery guts that seems to have taken no joy from his career whatsoever). Shearer has never done that.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2614 on: September 3, 2019, 11:59:34 am »

The point is that Owen is openly disrespecting Newcastle fans for no real reason (other than the fact that he appears to be a bitter misery guts that seems to have taken no joy from his career whatsoever). Shearer has never done that.
maybe

but if he is calling Owen out on loyalty then he should watch his mouth if he was trying to move

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2615 on: September 3, 2019, 12:01:36 pm »

How is he disrespecting Newcastle fans? You may have seen quotes I haven't.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2616 on: September 3, 2019, 12:03:23 pm »
Shearer earned good will from me because of his commentary with Ian Dennis against Barcelona but I quite like Owen to be honest and make no apologies for it.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2617 on: September 3, 2019, 12:04:34 pm »

He mentions that, as he was being stretchered off after being knocked out, the Newcastle fans were booing him and chanting 'what a waste of money'.

Perhaps that's why he feels OK about giving both barrels.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #2618 on: September 3, 2019, 12:10:32 pm »
Actually interesting what Owen said about Shearer being near a Liverpool move at one point. What season would that have been?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2619 on: September 3, 2019, 12:13:23 pm »
So he wrote a book to piss of f the last remaining fans he hasn’t pissed off yet. Well in Owen

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2620 on: September 3, 2019, 12:14:09 pm »
Read a few extracts and he’s gone in on both Shearer and Newcastle. I imagine the latter’s fans will hate him after some of the stuff he’s come out with.

What's the beef with him and Shearer all about then ?  Have they always had issues or just since Owen's opinions of Newcastle came out ?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2621 on: September 3, 2019, 12:18:55 pm »

It begs the question, who would?

Sort of speaks volumes to me that the launch event is at a country club 6 miles outside of Chester, rather than in a city location with any clear links to a Club that he's maintained any significant/positive relationship with the fanbase of.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2622 on: September 3, 2019, 12:19:33 pm »
Sort of speaks volumes to me that the launch event is at a country club 6 miles outside of Chester, rather than in a city location with any clear links to a Club that he's maintained any significant/positive relationship with the fanbase of.

Choristers?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2623 on: September 3, 2019, 12:25:51 pm »
Actually interesting what Owen said about Shearer being near a Liverpool move at one point. What season would that have been?
as i said above

i reckon it was 2003

Online archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #2624 on: September 3, 2019, 12:29:34 pm »
Footballers get pelters for a lack of honesty and ex-pros often get accused of not telling the whole story, especially when they do these books.

Obviously, in the eyes of many, Owen is damned either way.
If that's his genuine opinion on his time as Newcastle, then fair enough. People don't have to like it.

Bit of a twat thing for Shearer to do with that clip imo. I've watched that segment and not being the player he was earlier in his career, clearly affected him. Just because he was still trying to do his job and pick up a wage (no matter how extortionate) doesn't make his feelings less valid.

I'm not his biggest fan by any stretch but I think some of the stick he is getting is over the top.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2625 on: September 3, 2019, 12:30:33 pm »
Him and Shearer - handbags on twitter :lmao

michael owen
@themichaelowen
Not sure you are as loyal to Newcastle as you make out mate. I distinctly remember you being inches away from signing for Liverpool after Sir Bobby Robson put you on the bench. You tried everything to get out.
https://twitter.com/themichaelowen/status/1168822808614526976?s=20
That's pretty funny ;D

I don't think I understand the pile on here. What is wrong with saying it was a mistake to go to Newcastle? Sure the guy has an ego and is lacking self awareness, but I'd rather hear from someone being honest than someone talking in meaningless platitudes

Taking lessons on loyalty from an England captain who threatened to skip playing for England if the FA banned him for his thuggery is pretty funny.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 12:32:55 pm by Classycara »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #2626 on: September 3, 2019, 12:31:43 pm »
By the way I wouldn’t be surprised if this little spat between Shearer and Owen has been entirely planned out between them. It’s certainly increased publicity for the latter’s book.

If anyone thinks that sounds cynical of me I’ll just remind you what newspaper Shearer writes a regular column for.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #2627 on: September 3, 2019, 12:42:40 pm »
The extracts I've read are Partridge-esque.

The man is a fucking clown and a bit of a c*nt.

Ah, but is he ultimately going to have the last laugh ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2628 on: September 3, 2019, 12:58:25 pm »
Michael Owen is earning his Club Ambassador stars here. Just when there is a risk that the Mane and Salah story could blow up, in he comes to start a feud with Shearer that is a lot worse than anything that gets said in the heat of the moment.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2629 on: September 3, 2019, 01:02:42 pm »
Summer 2003 according to this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2388505/Robson-Shearer-betrayed-me.html

Offline payback

• is full of shit, shit and more shit, oh and chillies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2630 on: September 3, 2019, 01:12:03 pm »
He should never have gone to Newcastle, I knew he'd be either mugged or not appreciated.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2631 on: September 3, 2019, 02:30:56 pm »
Newcastle fans wouldn't hide their feelings on Owen so I don't see why he should on them.

That's not to say he's not a massive c*nt.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2632 on: September 3, 2019, 02:39:19 pm »
Newcastle fans wouldn't hide their feelings on Owen so I don't see why he should on them.

That's not to say he's not a massive c*nt.

Well according to him they were singing what a waist of money at him as he was being stretchered off, If I was a pro footballer and was writing a book in that situation, I wouldn't have been so kind as he has, I would have simply called them c*nts.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2633 on: September 3, 2019, 02:44:44 pm »
Footballers get pelters for a lack of honesty and ex-pros often get accused of not telling the whole story, especially when they do these books.

If that's his genuine opinion on his time as Newcastle, then fair enough. People don't have to like it.

Bit of a twat thing for Shearer to do with that clip imo. I've watched that segment and not being the player he was earlier in his career, clearly affected him. Just because he was still trying to do his job and pick up a wage (no matter how extortionate) doesn't make his feelings less valid.

I'm not his biggest fan by any stretch but I think some of the stick he is getting is over the top.

Agree with this.

Maybe time dims memories but before his Leeds injury he was an absolute superstar. We had one of the top strikers in the world, with everything going for him to become the best of his generation alongside Ronaldo, to become an all-time great. It felt like everytime he got the ball up top he won a foul, skinned a player, and closer to goal created a chance / assisted / scored. The game was a bit more open back then, granted, but it's the sensation you get with the true greats.

All that, ended at what was his age...something like 19 and a half, maybe 20. Never the same again as a player, though he did put up decent numbers for a few seasons after modifying his game.

If he had topped himself a few years down the line it would have been perfectly understandable. The fact he went on to make a career for himself, living through that bitterness, probably depression, anger, of greatness denied...is no small feat. People love talking, being supportive about mental health when someone fesses up to it but not all men are built to share, just because someone doesn't spell it out doesn't mean the issues aren't there.

Fine with his comments so far, if someone's being anything less than honest he / she's wasting your time. The extracts so far haven't been a waste of time.

I'm sure newcastle fans will hate him for them, but hey, they already hate him I think. You know, fans complain about 'paying the wages' of pros, it was more accurate back then before the huge tv money deals , but at the end of the day you're not doing it out of the goodness of your heart, you're going there for your fix / escapism. A fix, as a collective, they can't even kick as Mike Ashley destroys their club. Probably the main thing you can level at Owen in Newcastle was his lack of commitment, that would be fair, but even that came with red flags before he had even signed, no well run recruitment unit signs a player who's blatantly half-hearted about your club before he's even walked in. They chose to pick a guy who was less than enthused, they chose to pay him that much, take some responsibility for it.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2634 on: September 3, 2019, 02:52:16 pm »

Precisely, well put. Owen's problem now is that he cannot win because the vast majority of people have already decided they do not like him.

I feel sorry for him in a way: he clearly cares on some level what people think about him, and is still trying to rectify that, when he'd be better off living a comfortable life away from the spotlight.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2635 on: September 3, 2019, 02:54:30 pm »
Precisely, well put. Owen's problem now is that he cannot win because the vast majority of people have already decided they do not like him.

I feel sorry for him in a way: he clearly cares on some level what people think about him, and is still trying to rectify that, when he'd be better off living a comfortable life away from the spotlight.

Maybe if he stopped pissing on fans from every football club he played for then people would like him more?

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2636 on: September 3, 2019, 03:01:40 pm »
Choristers?
Having to pull his book cover pose, to get in.
AHA!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2637 on: September 3, 2019, 03:06:23 pm »
Maybe if he stopped pissing on fans from every football club he played for then people would like him more?

Or football fans should try not taking everything so personally. I don't see anything in Owen's recent comments for people to call him every name under the sun on Twitter.

Why were most Liverpool fans so open to hearing Torres' side of the story, but not Owen's, I wonder? It all comes down to perception and a popularity contest, ultimately. Most Liverpool fans did not want to dislike Torres, but they want to dislike Owen. It's trendy to hate Michael Owen.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 03:08:49 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2638 on: September 3, 2019, 03:19:50 pm »
Or football fans should try not taking everything so personally. I don't see anything in Owen's recent comments for people to call him every name under the sun on Twitter.

Why were most Liverpool fans so open to hearing Torres' side of the story, but not Owen's, I wonder? It all comes down to perception and a popularity contest, ultimately. Most Liverpool fans did not want to dislike Torres, but they want to dislike Owen. It's trendy to hate Michael Owen.

I don't take it personally at all, Michael Owen these days is one of the most irrelevant people in football today. I'm just saying if he wants to be liked by people maybe he should examine his own actions first?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2639 on: September 3, 2019, 03:29:46 pm »
I don't take it personally at all, Michael Owen these days is one of the most irrelevant people in football today. I'm just saying if he wants to be liked by people maybe he should examine his own actions first?

Which actions exactly?