Author Topic: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread  (Read 249882 times)

Offline Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
Re: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread
« Reply #960 on: March 4, 2019, 01:06:49 pm »
Well, good to see that this thread is still kicking on 3/4 years after I started it  :P

I'm now facing an issue of house size in that ours is a bit on the small side and where we live is quite high in demand as an area, not much is on the market at present and it seems to be extension season at the minute.

Therefore, we're looking into extensions. Anybody got any experience of this? Worth it? Costly? Ideally, we'd be looking at a two-storey extension which would go out to the side of the house and fill in at the back to make it a perfect square if that makes sense?

Thing is we don't know how realistic that is and whether we'd be better just moving. However, the sheer numbers of extensions round here at the minute makes me think there's something in it.

Any recommended companies in Liverpool too if anyone could help would be gratefully received!

Well, after receiving quotes that would be double the price of the house purchase itself (over 150k), we have decided to move. Our house sold for asking price just over a week ago.
I've seen a house I really like but it has been on the market for 4 months with two different estate agents and had the price dropped three times from 340k to 325k to 320k. I've put two bids in at 299k and then on Saturday I offered 306k but both have been rejected. I suggested that the seller could suggest a price that they would be willing to sell at but the EA says that they have feelings about offers coming in from others so would probably rather wait. Shame  :(

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #961 on: March 4, 2019, 01:09:21 pm »
Sounds like a comment to make you think you're likely going to miss out so will put in a bigger bid.

If you're not willing to do that then just bide your time and see how it plays out. If it's still on in a few weeks then maybe try again. Seller is clearly desperate to sell.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #962 on: March 5, 2019, 08:51:18 am »
Just a thought for anyone out there worried about their kids and them affording to buy anything, let alone rent, when they are older. When my daughter was born it was during the time the government put £250 into a trust account. At the time I wasn`t thinking of her buying a home when she was older, but decided I would add to it on a monthly basis for a figure I wouldn`t really miss. I have put between £25 and £35 per month every month since she was born via standing order. By the time she turns 18 whilst it won`t be enough for a deposit it will certainly be a tidy sum. Just pick a sum small enough that you don`t notice it and it doesn`t cause hardship and then forget about it.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #963 on: March 10, 2019, 08:43:01 am »
In a quandary. Found a lovely house in Great Sutton. 4 double beds, nice garden although North facing, decent schools within walking distance, detached. Problem-it's not our perfect location and we would have to use the car to travel to parks, amenities etc. Made an offer which was accepted before Christmas. This house would be near my family.
Last week we viewed a semi with a huge garden and in an amazing location for schools, amenities etc. But it's a semi and has a small bathroom and the house is generally not as good. It's also 30k more than the house in Great Sutton.

What would you do?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #964 on: March 10, 2019, 10:05:39 am »
In a quandary. Found a lovely house in Great Sutton. 4 double beds, nice garden although North facing, decent schools within walking distance, detached. Problem-it's not our perfect location and we would have to use the car to travel to parks, amenities etc. Made an offer which was accepted before Christmas. This house would be near my family.
Last week we viewed a semi with a huge garden and in an amazing location for schools, amenities etc. But it's a semi and has a small bathroom and the house is generally not as good. It's also 30k more than the house in Great Sutton.

What would you do?

You have to choose the house that you will be happy in, last thing you want to do is buy a place and then regret it. I'd be drawn to the 4 bed due to the size, but the semi does sound like it is in a better location. Is that in the Great Sutton area too?

Our house isn't ideal, its a 2 bed semi but is big enough to have been built as a 3 bed, I'd like bigger so the boys had their own rooms, but we're happy in the street we are in so stayed.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #965 on: March 10, 2019, 10:59:58 am »
You have to choose the house that you will be happy in, last thing you want to do is buy a place and then regret it. I'd be drawn to the 4 bed due to the size, but the semi does sound like it is in a better location. Is that in the Great Sutton area too?

Our house isn't ideal, its a 2 bed semi but is big enough to have been built as a 3 bed, I'd like bigger so the boys had their own rooms, but we're happy in the street we are in so stayed.

Semi is in Upton by Chester. Detached is in Great Sutton. Need to decide today really as the one in Upton already has an offer on it and we have to move out by May...

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #966 on: March 11, 2019, 05:22:41 am »

What would you do?
Ive lived with parents in terraced, semi, terraced, in laws in a terrace and now own a semi.
80 year old one side, 90 year old the other.

Is a detached that much better than a semi providing the neighbours are decent?

I’ve lived here in Prescot for 18 months now. 2 corner shops 2 minute walks. 2 train stations within 10 min walks. Tesco/ high street 3 or 4 minute drive. Family 2 min drive.

House buying is hard as there at that many and I think budget decided mine at £150k.
Nicer semis within 5 mins walk were ~£200k and In Rainhill they are ~£200k too, although a year and a half later, moving there wouldn’t have been that much of an upgrade imo.

Next time I buy my list will probably include getting to schools quickly as that’s a daily thing. Parks and amenities imo aren’t daily things and a bit longer to travel to I’d be happy with if famil/school was quicker to get to.
Although I’d move across the road from Calderstones Park at the drop of a hat with no thought of anything else haha

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: March 11, 2019, 09:17:09 pm »
Well we ended up offering on the semi detached, got outbidded by a couple who apparently offered well over the asking price and I wasn't willing to go higher (not for a semi which needs work..) so we're going for the detached- it's 30k less and walking distance to schools... shops not that close but manageable. And we can drive if we have to!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #968 on: March 11, 2019, 09:27:14 pm »
I think I’d always go for the better house over the area, assuming the area isn’t a shit hole of course.

You’ll spend a hell of a lot more time in the house than you will travelling anywhere else, so it’s important to get that right.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #969 on: March 11, 2019, 10:29:26 pm »
I think I’d always go for the better house over the area, assuming the area isn’t a shit hole of course.

You’ll spend a hell of a lot more time in the house than you will travelling anywhere else, so it’s important to get that right.

Areas also change, what’s a good area now might not be so desirable in 5 years time, especially if it’s related to a local schools - your only one OFSTED report from a minor disaster!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #970 on: March 11, 2019, 10:33:07 pm »

We moved 2 years ago from a semi to a detached and one thing I will say is that the new house is a damn site colder then the old one. Don’t underestimate the insulation value of having two whole houses attached to yours!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #971 on: March 11, 2019, 10:38:40 pm »

Question for John: Do you prefer a semi or a detached?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorena_(TV_series)
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: March 12, 2019, 09:16:00 am »
Well we ended up offering on the semi detached, got outbidded by a couple who apparently offered well over the asking price and I wasn't willing to go higher (not for a semi which needs work..) so we're going for the detached- it's 30k less and walking distance to schools... shops not that close but manageable. And we can drive if we have to!

I've got family in Little Sutton and Whitby, my uncle and auntie moved there in the early 70's so spent a load of time over there, its always been a decent area to live in - bit too many Utd supporters though for my liking.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #973 on: March 12, 2019, 03:17:45 pm »
I've got family in Little Sutton and Whitby, my uncle and auntie moved there in the early 70's so spent a load of time over there, its always been a decent area to live in - bit too many Utd supporters though for my liking.

Yes... I grew up there and my dad lives round the corner. It's a good area for young families so I'm sure we will make it work! It's a lovely house, detached and private and I'm hoping it'll mean we can have more of a social life as my dad would be closer to babysit!!

Offline Tricia Dingle

• Anny Roader
« Reply #974 on: March 23, 2019, 09:33:19 pm »
People of RAWK, I have a question about applying for a mortgage.

My Dad sadly passed away just before Christmas and he left his house for me and my brother in the will. My brother already owns a home and is happy for me to take over my Dad's property. I need to be accepted for a mortgage first of all though. I have no outstanding debt and will comfortably be able to pay the mortgage.

My problem is that whilst I have an excellent credit score, my bank is still registered at my mothers house. I moved out 7 years ago and due to the fact that my current building has multiple occupants, I thought it best to leave all my bank statements to be sent to my mothers house.  Everything else is registered to my current address - electoral roll, wage slips, etc. I have a meeting with a mortgage adviser on April 1st (happy April fools!)

I also switched my bank over to a Monzo 6 months or so again. All of my wages are paid into the Monzo. That Monzo account is registered to my current rented address, whereas my old account (Halifax) is still registered at my mothers house. I transfer money over to the Halifax to pay my rent

It's a bit of a mess and I feel that all of this will seriously hinder my chances of getting accepted on a mortgage. I didn't anticipate that I'd be applying for a mortgage so soon, otherwise I would've changed everything over to the same address a long time ago! This has become a matter of urgency as along with everything that has happened with my Dad, I am also going through a break up of a long term relationship and need somewhere to live!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:38:31 pm by Tricia Dingle »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #975 on: March 23, 2019, 10:18:29 pm »
I had multiple addresses on my credit history when I applied for my mortgage and it wasn’t a problem. Don’t think it was even mentioned actually.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #976 on: March 24, 2019, 04:13:41 pm »
I bet you'll be absolutely fine mate. I got a mortgage and probably lived in 7 places in as many years.

I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #977 on: March 24, 2019, 04:33:46 pm »
Yeah. As long as you are registered on the electoral roll you'll be fine

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: March 24, 2019, 08:45:40 pm »
Its the electoral roll they are bothered about, so you'll be fine.

Online AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #979 on: March 28, 2019, 04:18:05 pm »
Similar question to Tricia Dingle to be honest.....

In a nutshell my beloved mum passed away suddenly just over a month ago (see previous posts on here).

We lived together in a housing association (council) property in Huyton.

We have lived in the house since 1980 continually and despite my initial fears of a single-guy in a three bedroom house, I successfully succeeded the tenancy AND inherited my mum's tenancy privileges.
What the Housing Association has said is I quality for the Right to Buy scheme and can buy the property immediately. Due to my mum's circumstances I qualify for a 70% discount on the value of the house.

On the face of it I have been presented with a genuinely attractive offer to get myself on the property ladder. Naturally I would happily sleep in a box in the street if it meant getting my mum back but I must be realistic.

I have submitted already my RTB1 form so I am awaiting the Housing Association to value the house. I estimate (going on other properties in the street), I am looking between £75-85k. Our house is a mid-terrace property, with the house next door unoccupied and in poor condition (privately owned).

Naturally many of my friends are trying to influence me on what to do, but this is something completely new to me. In an ideal world I want to be paying as little as possible on my mortgage each month, but also not too much interest (I am a FTB).

Finally, I have looked at my credit score which is 800 and I have £8k in cash in the bank, so even with my very limited experience, I think I am in a very strong position.

Mortgage or equity wise, any advice is genuinely appreciated.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #980 on: March 28, 2019, 07:25:24 pm »
Whats the question? Should you buy a house at 70% discount? Or about which mortgage to get?

I'm of the opinion that if you don't have enough spare cash to put in "investments" like stocks and shares with a higher annual interest rate than your mortgage, then you should pay as much as you can off the house as quickly as possible. I was surprised just how much of my monthly repayment is interest and I think it's only like 2% p.a.

Sympathies for you losing your mother of course should go without saying.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:27:03 pm by Jake »
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #981 on: March 28, 2019, 07:32:58 pm »
As Jake alluded to, its a no brainer with regards to if you should or not. Sounds like you’re in a great financial position and the offer is a very good one. Extremely sad circumstances obviously and honestly mate can’t imagine what you’re going through but hope things are as good as they can be at this time.

As for mortgages, I guess it depends what your income is like and what you can afford. Jake is probably right that paying it off quite quickly is normally not a bad idea.

Online AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #982 on: March 28, 2019, 08:43:48 pm »
Cheers boys for the advice. I am certainly buying it, but I know when I had to speak to a bank manager to close my mums account she mentioned about instead of a deposit for the house, I could use equity.
Its a bit of a minefield for me to be honest as I havent got a clue.

I think the best bet is enlist a good mortgage advisor and go from there.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #983 on: March 28, 2019, 08:51:56 pm »
Find an independent mortgage advisor, preferably one you can find who is highly recommended, and they’ll work wonders for you mate.

Just take your time and get advice from trusted places and make the best decision for you.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #984 on: March 28, 2019, 10:08:35 pm »
Mortgage brokers can get you a good deal. We got ours through one. Got us a better deal than any of the high street banks. But as always there are pros and cons for everything

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #985 on: April 8, 2019, 10:51:53 pm »
Slightly OT, but I'm looking to buy the house I'm renting.  I can afford it but my question is do I a) take a mortgage over a longer term, making my monthly payments more manageable but pay more interest, or b) take a shorter length mortgage, pay more monthly but paying less interest?

The reason I ask is that this is likely to be a short term home and I could be looking to buy elsewhere in a year or two.  Say I move in two years, is the extra interest I'll pay by taking out a longer term mortgage going to be noticeable after 2 years?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #986 on: April 9, 2019, 01:56:26 am »
Slightly OT, but I'm looking to buy the house I'm renting.  I can afford it but my question is do I a) take a mortgage over a longer term, making my monthly payments more manageable but pay more interest, or b) take a shorter length mortgage, pay more monthly but paying less interest?

The reason I ask is that this is likely to be a short term home and I could be looking to buy elsewhere in a year or two.  Say I move in two years, is the extra interest I'll pay by taking out a longer term mortgage going to be noticeable after 2 years?

My opinion

If you may move in less than 24 months then keep renting. The buying and selling of property has lots of associated costs that all get burnt when you move. My suggestion. Ask for an 18 month lease from your landlord and save as much as you can for a home you want.

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: April 9, 2019, 08:06:04 am »
My opinion

If you may move in less than 24 months then keep renting. The buying and selling of property has lots of associated costs that all get burnt when you move. My suggestion. Ask for an 18 month lease from your landlord and save as much as you can for a home you want.

The house is up for sale. Landlord is looking to sell it over the next six months.

Also, mortgage I’ve found has no arrangement fee, and includes £500 cashback which will help towards the valuation fee and solicitor fees.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: April 9, 2019, 08:19:39 am »

Look for a mortgage with a low (or none) early repayment charge - that is a one-off fee you pay if you leave the mortgage early.

I went for a long-term mortgage, which means monthly payments are low, but try to overpay every month. That gives me security knowing I can meet the payments, but I should still pay it off before the 25 years I've signed for. Obviously check that you can overpay, and by how much, first.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #989 on: April 9, 2019, 06:07:36 pm »
The house is up for sale. Landlord is looking to sell it over the next six months.

Also, mortgage I’ve found has no arrangement fee, and includes £500 cashback which will help towards the valuation fee and solicitor fees.

Sounds perfect.
I echo redbyrdz advice. Long mortgage with ability to over pay gives you flexibility

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: April 9, 2019, 06:35:41 pm »
Look for a mortgage with a low (or none) early repayment charge - that is a one-off fee you pay if you leave the mortgage early.

I went for a long-term mortgage, which means monthly payments are low, but try to overpay every month. That gives me security knowing I can meet the payments, but I should still pay it off before the 25 years I've signed for. Obviously check that you can overpay, and by how much, first.

That's what we did. My wife bought the house on a fixed rate in 2006, mortgage was about £470 per month. In 2011 we remortgaged and went with a tracker. First two years we were restricted to the amount we were allowed to overpay in the year (think it was £7k or something) then after that we could pay what we wanted. We overpaid £150 a month, which we would stop around Christmas and January/Feb then restart in the March and also managed to make a couple of decent one off payments and the monthly mortgage payments dropped, we continued to pay the same amount each month, so this upped our overpayments. It really is good to know that you are saving thousands just by overpaying.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #991 on: April 10, 2019, 07:40:40 am »

would you be planning on adding value to the house in the time you'll be in it?

For the hassle of buying it and then only staying in it for 2 years I'd just find somewhere else to live.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #992 on: April 10, 2019, 03:17:09 pm »
It’s also worth considering the impact it will have on choosing your next house if you buy - as not only will you be at the whim of the sales market and how long it can take to find a buyer at the price you want, but you’ll also then likely be in a chain which can go wrong and add complications to buying a house you want.

At least with renting you’ll be able to choose when you move, but you’ll be in a better position when putting offers in for a house as not being in a chain is often pretty attractive to sellers.

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #993 on: April 10, 2019, 09:28:16 pm »
would you be planning on adding value to the house in the time you'll be in it?

For the hassle of buying it and then only staying in it for 2 years I'd just find somewhere else to live.

When I say I'd be looking to move in a year or two, it would be to a totally different part of the country.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: April 11, 2019, 09:52:02 am »
Valuation ~ £400
Solicitors ~ £1100

I’d personally rent. No costs if something goes wrong in the house.
No hassle of having to sell it.
No early repayment charge.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #995 on: April 11, 2019, 10:16:04 am »
Valuation ~ £400
Solicitors ~ £1100

I’d personally rent. No costs if something goes wrong in the house.
No hassle of having to sell it.
No early repayment charge.

+ cost of selling it.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: April 11, 2019, 10:46:18 am »
When I say I'd be looking to move in a year or two, it would be to a totally different part of the country.

Oh, even more complexity, add in trying to sell a house and I'm sure your stress levels will be fine 😅

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: May 9, 2019, 11:59:41 pm »
Found a nice little house for which we got an offer accepted and I was just about to sort out a mortgage in principle but at the last minute they told us the house is a flying freehold (part of the house overlaps the next house) which they never told us about at the viewing. Mortgage advisor has now told us that not every lender will give a mortgage for such a house so may be difficult. Is it just me or does that seem a bit sly by the estate agents? I've seen another house that is potentially ideal so may go for that.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #998 on: May 10, 2019, 07:47:08 am »
Flying freehold can be quite common. If you really like it I’d see what mortgage options are out there as may not be as bad as you think.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #999 on: May 17, 2019, 01:56:59 pm »
Just starting out on the road to buying (hopefully next year), so barely even on the first step of the buying process ladder. Have been reading back through this thread and there's some fantastic advice and resources in here so hats off to all the contributors.
I have a lot of questions and queries but I'll try and go through the thread first to see if they were answered first.

One I will throw out though is, regarding ISA's, can these be started/taken out at any stage?

We have some savings put aside but I feel we're not making the most of our earnings by simply having it sit there in our standard bank savings accounts.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:59:10 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.