Author Topic: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread  (Read 249876 times)

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread
« Reply #1120 on: November 21, 2019, 06:11:43 pm »
Luckily for me leaseholds are not a thing in Scotland.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1121 on: December 8, 2019, 04:25:11 pm »
My mortgage deal is up at the end of the month and for the past couple of months my LTV has been 86%.
Due to some houses in the street being sold NatWest value our house a couple of grand more now and the LTV has gone to 85%.

Our new deal was meant to be £554 a month but it’ll drop to £524 now  ;D

Happened to me this month too, HSBC said "are you happy with a 130k valuation?"

Considering I bought it for 91k three years ago, yes ;D

In the below 50% LTV bracket now. Went for another three years fixed then might look to buy a bigger hoose.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1122 on: December 9, 2019, 09:59:22 am »
Happened to me this month too, HSBC said "are you happy with a 130k valuation?"

Considering I bought it for 91k three years ago, yes ;D

In the below 50% LTV bracket now. Went for another three years fixed then might look to buy a bigger hoose.

Very nice that! I keep having grand ideas of an extension and the drive being done but I don't think it would add that much more to our value.
Our new deal is for 3 years and even though we have been here for only 2 years (first house) there are places close by where I'd like to move to when we have paid a bit more off/ saved a bit more.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1123 on: December 10, 2019, 09:39:24 am »
We will have capped our help to buy ISA in March. Been a struggle saving a bit more but we wasn't happy with any of the houses in a lower budget this time last year. Getting real again now

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1124 on: December 10, 2019, 08:23:09 pm »
Finally opened a HTB isa just before the deadline closed! Shoved £1200 straight into it, got about 17k in savings too! Just need to find something now

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: December 10, 2019, 09:03:01 pm »
Finally opened a HTB isa just before the deadline closed! Shoved £1200 straight into it, got about 17k in savings too! Just need to find something now

Shame there is a lower age limit on these, we wanted to set two up, one for each son, they are only 11 and 9, so not allowed. We will open a lifetime ISA when each one hits 18 instead.

They've £23k and £21k respectively in premium bonds and win at least £25 most months, so they are getting a cracking return from them.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1126 on: December 11, 2019, 06:42:19 pm »
Shame there is a lower age limit on these, we wanted to set two up, one for each son, they are only 11 and 9, so not allowed. We will open a lifetime ISA when each one hits 18 instead.

They've £23k and £21k respectively in premium bonds and win at least £25 most months, so they are getting a cracking return from them.

I'm kicking myself for not opening one a lot sooner! The limit used to be deposit max £1400 in first month and up to £400 each month after

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1127 on: December 20, 2019, 08:07:19 am »
Finally got that 10% we needed. Had a quick search on a few mortgage calculators (I know it's only a rough idea) but 10% compared to 5% is taking around £150 per month off the mortgage price. Just the 3 ISA transfers to go Jan-Mar and we'll be set. Going to start looking at the start of February I think

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1128 on: December 23, 2019, 11:10:52 am »
Moving from the house I bought from my Mum today. Quite emotional as I grew up there.

A load of memorabilia in the loft. Found a packet of Players No6 with a drawing of a Cock on it from 1976.

Funny the things you find.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1129 on: December 31, 2019, 08:18:04 am »
I know this is a fairly subjective one, but when some of you were house hunting, on top of the mortage savings you had put together say between yourself and your other half, how much extra savings did you feel necessary to account for the moving in process and getting it basically furnished and so on?

I don't mean the extta fees for solicitors and surveyors, moreso trying to get a feel from a first time buyer's perspective of how tough it is once your mortgage savings go our of your account and you've gotten the keys and are waiting for payday with loads to do to make your new home your own etc?

Also, happy new year folks! ;)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1130 on: December 31, 2019, 08:33:02 am »
I know this is a fairly subjective one, but when some of you were house hunting, on top of the mortage savings you had put together say between yourself and your other half, how much extra savings did you feel necessary to account for the moving in process and getting it basically furnished and so on?

I don't mean the extta fees for solicitors and surveyors, moreso trying to get a feel from a first time buyer's perspective of how tough it is once your mortgage savings go our of your account and you've gotten the keys and are waiting for payday with loads to do to make your new home your own etc?

Also, happy new year folks! ;)

Looking back at our most recent move, a lot of the basics we brought with us from our flat. But for the major stuff (Kitchen white goods, sofa, bed etc) was a mixture of a very good interest free credit card and the Help to buy ISA bonus. 

Gave us the space to get everything settled and set up before juggling the finances to pay it back over the course of the interest free period.

Also gives you the fallback in case of any unexpected surprises. We had to get a new boiler within a month of moving in which wasn't nice.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: December 31, 2019, 10:11:14 am »
I’ve only had two mortgage payments taken but I can tell you I really am feeling the pinch. Buying things like sofa, fridge tables, chairs, washing machine, bed and so on really leaves you out of pocket unless you can find good deals and you’re able to sacrifice on going out, shopping etc. I really wanted to go on a nice holiday this year but that’s down the drain due to all this house stuff. Then as gazza mentioned, you’ll always tend to have something in the house you need to repair or just decorate/improve. So my advice is to be a bit of a mingebag (in a good way) and save up as much as you can early on.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: December 31, 2019, 11:06:17 am »
Nice one fellas.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1133 on: January 6, 2020, 01:26:03 am »
Whats the process for most people when buying first house? do you find a house first then apply for mortgage or do you go for mortgage (in principle they are called if i'm correct?) to see how much you can afford?

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1134 on: January 6, 2020, 01:44:50 am »
Whats the process for most people when buying first house? do you find a house first then apply for mortgage or do you go for mortgage (in principle they are called if i'm correct?) to see how much you can afford?
I went to a (free) broker first to get an idea of what kind of mortgage I would be likely to get.

Numbers can vary a bit between lenders so if you are likely to be pushing it on affordability, it might be better to get those numbers from a broker than just asking one individual lender

You can also check affordability calculators from some lenders online yourself.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 10:17:18 am by filopastry »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: January 6, 2020, 11:30:50 am »

I ended up going with my bank Nationwide and they basically said don't apply for a mrotgage or even make an appointment to discuss until you are ready to make offers, then they can give you a decision in principal which lasts 90 days. Before that you should just use their mortgage calculator on their website.

You don't want to get the decision in principal if you are not expecting to buy in the next 90 days as it affects your credit rating each time it is done.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: January 8, 2020, 12:06:01 pm »

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/money-timeline-when-buying-property-england-wales--n-ireland

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1137 on: January 9, 2020, 05:03:01 am »
We have found a house we both like but won't have the deposit until the end of March. Is it worth even going to look at it yet or wait til nearer the time?
« Last Edit: January 9, 2020, 06:22:37 am by carl123uk »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1138 on: January 9, 2020, 06:39:37 am »
We have found a house we both like but won't have the deposit until the end of March. Is it worth even going to look at it yet or wait til nearer the time?

Yeah go and look at it if you want, but don’t get all your hopes up as that’s quite a long time away to be able to afford it.

I’d not let on you can’t afford it yet though and make out you are in a position to buy, as if it’s still available in March you could possibly use the fact it’s been on the market a while, and it’s one you’re ‘settling for’ after looking for a while to get a better deal. If they know you love it and have for ages they’ll be less likely to come down.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #1139 on: January 9, 2020, 07:46:05 am »
You should all move to rural Sweden. Our 3 bedroom house cost £40k.

When I bought my first flat, it cost me the grand total of £50. :lmao
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: January 9, 2020, 09:36:40 am »
You should all move to rural Sweden. Our 3 bedroom house cost £40k.

When I bought my first flat, it cost me the grand total of £50. :lmao
And with Finland introducing a four-day working week, Scandinavia is looking like an interesting move for the future. If only you had better weather :P

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1141 on: January 9, 2020, 10:04:07 am »

Some estate agents want to see proof of deposit before even arranging a viewing
We had our deposit sat there and broker lined up and Your move wanted us to go in and speak to their mortgage advisor before anything even happened.
So we missed out on a house that sold for £125k that’s now worth £155k, bunch of jokers.

If you do bid on a house, the estate agent are legally obligated to pass your offer on to their seller.
I’ve seen some houses sell for a lot less than they were advertised but there is that medium in bidding for somehting that someone else might be interested in and then you losing out.

We bid on this in 2017 https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=60754735&sale=54949721&country=england

Viewed it. Put the offer on purple bricks of £135k. Someone had literally offered £140k in the same afternoon as us on their website and the seller accepted their bid as they were selling it themselves.

We were first time buyers and think we gained a lot of experience out of it all.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1142 on: January 9, 2020, 10:18:45 am »
We had our deposit sat there and broker lined up and Your move wanted us to go in and speak to their mortgage advisor before anything even happened.
So we missed out on a house that sold for £125k that’s now worth £155k, bunch of jokers.

Ah, estate agents  ::)

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1143 on: January 9, 2020, 10:21:06 am »
Cheers for both the replies lads. Getting itchy feet now it's so close so I guess waiting another 2 months is nothing really. If it sells is wasn't meant to be and if its still for sale we've got some negotiating room then.

House was up for sale from start of October and then went up as no longer for sale mid December. Now back on the market re decorated neutral, new kitchen and planning permission for an extension and is up for 10k more. Other than decorate a few rooms to our taste its perfect

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1144 on: January 9, 2020, 10:23:22 am »
Cheers for both the replies lads. Getting itchy feet now it's so close so I guess waiting another 2 months is nothing really. If it sells is wasn't meant to be and if its still for sale we've got some negotiating room then.

House was up for sale from start of October and then went up as no longer for sale mid December. Now back on the market re decorated neutral, new kitchen and planning permission for an extension and is up for 10k more. Other than decorate a few rooms to our taste its perfect

Is there a value you have the deposit for now or are you going to really jump the deposit you have in the next 2 months? If it's the former you could try your hand at putting in an offer (after viewing) at the level you can currently afford.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1145 on: January 9, 2020, 02:24:53 pm »
Is there a value you have the deposit for now or are you going to really jump the deposit you have in the next 2 months? If it's the former you could try your hand at putting in an offer (after viewing) at the level you can currently afford.

2 months time we will have 10% then and anything else we save will go towards the other different fees

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1146 on: February 9, 2020, 05:45:37 am »
2 months time we will have 10% then and anything else we save will go towards the other different fees

We've moved some money around and now we'll be good to go from the 21st of this month. Mortgage appointment booked for the same day. Only issue will be 2 months statements and Payslips so hoping we'll be OK

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1147 on: February 9, 2020, 06:54:35 pm »
We didn't have the full deposit yet when we offered on ours, just told the vendors we wouldn't be in position to complete until early April in our case (offered in mid Jan) it's going to take at least a couple of months to complete anyway and that's if you are lucky.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1148 on: February 20, 2020, 07:05:46 am »
2 viewings booked for tomorrow. I guess its happening now

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #1149 on: February 23, 2020, 11:43:13 pm »
Me and the wife are first time buyer,  saved for around 18 months and have always said we’d look at an older house. We’d planned to start looking next month as we’d have the deposit all boxed off.

We’ve had a few conversations this week and completely flipped our thought process, and decided to go for a new build and had viewing on the below on Saturday.

https://newhomes.place/liverpooledenhurstgrange/thefarndon-edenhurstgrange

By this afternoon we had the Agreement in Principle and have reserved the plot for an August move in date. God bless Help to Buy.

Just hoping no nasty surprises when it comes to the formal agreement, the broker sounds confident but read some horror stories of the AIP not holding through the formal process.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: February 24, 2020, 12:24:28 pm »
Me and the wife are first time buyer,  saved for around 18 months and have always said we’d look at an older house. We’d planned to start looking next month as we’d have the deposit all boxed off.

We’ve had a few conversations this week and completely flipped our thought process, and decided to go for a new build and had viewing on the below on Saturday.

By this afternoon we had the Agreement in Principle and have reserved the plot for an August move in date. God bless Help to Buy.

Just hoping no nasty surprises when it comes to the formal agreement, the broker sounds confident but read some horror stories of the AIP not holding through the formal process.

I hate new builds.  Often flimsy af, not exactly generous on space and really difficult to extend/remodel to your requirements.

Each to their own however and good luck you to and your missus :)
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1151 on: February 24, 2020, 12:28:19 pm »
I hate new builds.  Often flimsy af, not exactly generous on space and really difficult to extend/remodel to your requirements.

I'm not the biggest fan, but it definitely depends on the developer. Some put some actual thought into design and make pretty functional and well made houses. Others...

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: February 24, 2020, 01:11:32 pm »

Nice. My preference is always new builds.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1153 on: February 24, 2020, 01:55:01 pm »
If you are going for a new build, make sure you know if it's freehold or leasehold plot of land.

Loads of horror stories about property developers selling off the land holding to 3rd parties so they can leasehold any properties and charge ground rents that double every 10 years making it impossible to sell the house on in future.

If it is a lease hold then make sure your solicitor goes through it with you. Including all the pros and cons of it.

Things to think about

What is the ground rent and what is the scope for it increasing or decreasing in value
Can I buy the land holding in future and if so for how much
Does it affect what I can do to the land (extensions right down to the grass and trees on the land)

Also with new builds, you can haggle over extras like tiles, carpet, turf in the garden etc. Also keep a very strict snag list with them to hold them legally obligated to when you move it.  Corners can be cut and if they can get away with it then they will
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:59:55 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: February 24, 2020, 06:46:44 pm »
I'm not the biggest fan, but it definitely depends on the developer. Some put some actual thought into design and make pretty functional and well made houses. Others...

Our house was built in 1935, the one I lived in in Southport 1895, there is a house up the road from us built in 1722 or such - I doubt anything built since 1990 will still be standing in 50/80 years.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: February 25, 2020, 04:15:50 pm »
We need a new furnace. It's the first real issue we've had since we bought the place 2 and a half years ago... bloody expensive though.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: February 25, 2020, 09:05:50 pm »
Originally lived in a terraced house growing up until the age of 18 then moved into a new build with my parents until bought my first own home which was a new build . When the kids came along we moved to a bigger new build . In the years we had the new builds never had any issues or any real major jobs needed doing so very low maintenance.

Five years ago bought an old house to completely renovate so all the basic but expensive items were done ( full rewire , central heating and roof etc but some people who buy a second hand older property can be hit with loads of nasty surprises especially when the previous owners have gone all diy sos . Seen it in my job loads of times called out to electric faults and the original wiring is still there with bits added on ... an older property can be high maintenance, pros and cons with both .

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1157 on: February 26, 2020, 12:20:07 am »
Just closed on our first house this morning.

Proper chuffed.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #1158 on: February 26, 2020, 04:06:55 pm »
2 viewings booked for tomorrow. I guess its happening now

First viewing and the house I liked the most wasn't anything like it looked in the photos. Very small and the quality of the new kitchen was poor and needed a few bits more doing than it made out.

Second viewing and we found the one. Only a year old and the couple who live there are moving the next street over onto a bigger house. Room sizes bigger than we though for a new build and all the teething problems have been sorted.

Offer in Friday accepted on Monday and with all being well should be in before the end of the season.

Good job the 2nd house turned out well as there was nothing else to even be viewed after that. Adult life starts now as long as everything goes well and being first time buyers we will probably do something wrong. Exciting times though

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1159 on: February 26, 2020, 09:20:02 pm »
We're in the process of moving, we've accepted an offer on our current property and had an offer accepted on a house as well. Anyway, we've got the surveyor coming round to our house tomorrow and I was wondering if they'll be asking me any/many questions etc?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"