Author Topic: Serie A  (Read 316099 times)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: Serie A
« Reply #2400 on: May 3, 2021, 12:18:39 pm »
Vlahovic looks like he'll score quite a few going forward, he's only 21 so far from his best years, real breakout season for him. He's the type I could see staying in Serie A, if not with Fiorentina. That being said I doubt any could stump up the money Fiorentina would want. I don't know what the plans with Liverpool are this summer in terms of an attacker, personally I think if we sign one it'll be more in the mould of someone capable of playing through the middle but is generally a wide forward, ala Jota. I think we're crying out for a proper centre forward who'll score a shit load for us going forward, someone like Vlahovic could be a real option. Being young, I think he'd need a little while to settle in properly and find his proper goal-scoring potential as he's done with Firoentina.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2401 on: May 3, 2021, 12:47:40 pm »
Bonkers to think Inter finished bottom of their CL group.

That's essentially where Conte will be judged now. His European record is abysmal.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2402 on: May 3, 2021, 01:59:46 pm »
Bonkers to think Inter finished bottom of their CL group.

That's essentially where Conte will be judged now. His European record is abysmal.

Is it bonkers? Series A is possibly a very poor league. Roma losing 6-2 to Manchester United? Ashley Young being in a Title-winning team? Italian clubs haven't done well in Europe for many years have they? This is despite Juventus throwing everything they have got at the Champions' league. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2403 on: May 3, 2021, 02:10:23 pm »
Is it bonkers? Series A is possibly a very poor league. Roma losing 6-2 to Manchester United? Ashley Young being in a Title-winning team? Italian clubs haven't done well in Europe for many years have they? This is despite Juventus throwing everything they have got at the Champions' league.

It is, Roma are a vastly inferior side to Inter. Inter have tons of talent available, and they should have done better in Europe [two consecutive seasons now]. Also they got trashed in EL after they crashed out of the CL last year.

Ashley Young aside, they have Hakimi,Bastoni,barella,Martinez,Lukaku,Skriniar,De Vrij,Brozovic,Sensi and perisic in their side, hardly average by any means.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2404 on: May 3, 2021, 02:26:22 pm »
Seria A is and always will be viewed through the nostalgia filled awesome glasses of the 80's through to the 00's. It's been of a poor standard for the past 15 years or so.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2405 on: May 3, 2021, 02:50:40 pm »
Ashley Young aside, they have Hakimi,Bastoni,barella,Martinez,Lukaku,Skriniar,De Vrij,Brozovic,Sensi and perisic in their side, hardly average by any means.

Isn't Darmian playing for them too?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #2406 on: May 3, 2021, 03:13:35 pm »
Isn't Darmian playing for them too?
And much like Young, he's a bench player.

They're a very good team, probably lack of quality depth holding them back from being more successful in Europe. If they can keep their key players and add a strong left back, forward and midfielder they'll probably do well next season.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2407 on: May 3, 2021, 05:06:02 pm »
Seria A is and always will be viewed through the nostalgia filled awesome glasses of the 80's through to the 00's. It's been of a poor standard for the past 15 years or so.
It’s one of the more entertaining leagues going nowadays but I’d agree with Samie here, the last great Serie A side was the faded remnants of Milan back in 2007. There’s not been one close to that quality since, and they were past their peak by then (2003-2006).
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2408 on: May 3, 2021, 05:37:39 pm »
It’s one of the more entertaining leagues going nowadays but I’d agree with Samie here, the last great Serie A side was the faded remnants of Milan back in 2007. There’s not been one close to that quality since, and they were past their peak by then (2003-2006).
Inter 2010. Far from pretty, but still a treble winning side. They were better than Milan 07 imo

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2409 on: May 3, 2021, 10:09:25 pm »
Inter 2010. Far from pretty, but still a treble winning side. They were better than Milan 07 imo
True - I think I’d managed to erase them from existence in my memory because they were so bad to watch  ;D

That dominance came post Calciopoli, which admittedly weakened the league in general and gave Inter a few easy titles, though Mancini benefited more than Mourinho from that.

Milan 07 weren’t what they were a few years before, that’s for sure.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #2410 on: May 3, 2021, 10:34:02 pm »
If Conte jumps ship when Inter are skint there will obviously be no shortage of takers for him. He has an appalling European record but guarantees a league title in 1-2 seasons max.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2411 on: May 3, 2021, 11:55:47 pm »
Milan should have never been in the CL in 2007 to begin with. They were initially banned but were reinstated

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2412 on: May 4, 2021, 09:44:16 am »
Milan should have never been in the CL in 2007 to begin with. They were initially banned but were reinstated
Very true actually. They got lucky with having their points deduction decreased as well, even though their cheating seemed to have been of a similar ilk to that of Juve's. It's almost like the authorities wanted to make Luciano Moggi the true example and all others were somewhat allowed to escape. A few sides had relegations overturned on second appeal.

Similar to City this year, should be banned and are on the cusp of the final.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2413 on: May 4, 2021, 10:37:32 am »
could've been even sweeter if Juve failed to make the CL

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2414 on: May 4, 2021, 10:44:15 am »
Vlahovic is young and talented but only had one good year. We know what happened when we got his countryman Markovic after one year (or likes of Pepe) so I'd be cautious to approach.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2415 on: May 4, 2021, 11:00:51 am »
If Conte jumps ship when Inter are skint there will obviously be no shortage of takers for him. He has an appalling European record but guarantees a league title in 1-2 seasons max.
His league record is up there with the best of them. The Chelsea squad and this Inter squad were nowhere near favorites either.

Is he the 3rd best manager at the moment?

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2416 on: May 4, 2021, 11:04:45 am »
His league record is up there with the best of them. The Chelsea squad and this Inter squad were nowhere near favorites either.

Is he the 3rd best manager at the moment?
I would say he is 2nd at the moment. Much like the #1, he never had unlimited funds or inherited a world class squad when he took over.

The only thing he lacks to be on par is a CL win.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #2417 on: May 4, 2021, 12:02:53 pm »
Atalanta would seem favourites for 2nd spot now with their momentum and their remaining oppo:

Parma A
Benevento H
Genoa A
Milan H

Juve :

Milan H
Sass A
Inter H
Bologna A

Napoli:

Spezia A
Udinese H
Fiorent  A
Verona H

Milan:

Juve A
Torino A
Cagliari H
Atalanta A

Lazio there too with a game at hand 3 pts behind Napoli
« Last Edit: May 4, 2021, 12:05:26 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2418 on: May 4, 2021, 12:05:35 pm »
Vlahovic is young and talented but only had one good year. We know what happened when we got his countryman Markovic after one year (or likes of Pepe) so I'd be cautious to approach.
Probably not the best comparison when the only similarity they share is nationality - Vlahovic now has 2 x 2000 + minute seasons under his belt, his first promising, this one excellent and is a good age profile compared to the rest of our attackers. He also plays in a much higher standard league than the Portuguese league from where we got Markovic, in a dreadful team as opposed to a dominant one like Benfica were. Markovic was also younger, with less than 30 appearances for Benfica at the point which we signed him.

I understand where you're coming from, because the risk is there - I'd never seen Markovic play beyond some highlight reel stuff before we signed him, but I've seen pretty much all of Vlahovic's game time in Italy and I really do back him to be a brilliant striker for some years. I can unfortunately see him being the player Juve hang their hat on if they can move Ronaldo on this summer, which would be a real shame because I'd like to see him test himself with us, if we're indeed interested.

I could also see him as a Lewandowski replacement at Bayern - Nagelsmann likes a tall, strong centre forward, though it might be a timing issue, given Lewandowski seems as effective as ever and Vlahovic will almost certainly move this summer.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2419 on: May 4, 2021, 12:48:20 pm »
Probably not the best comparison when the only similarity they share is nationality - Vlahovic now has 2 x 2000 + minute seasons under his belt, his first promising, this one excellent and is a good age profile compared to the rest of our attackers. He also plays in a much higher standard league than the Portuguese league from where we got Markovic, in a dreadful team as opposed to a dominant one like Benfica were. Markovic was also younger, with less than 30 appearances for Benfica at the point which we signed him.

I understand where you're coming from, because the risk is there - I'd never seen Markovic play beyond some highlight reel stuff before we signed him, but I've seen pretty much all of Vlahovic's game time in Italy and I really do back him to be a brilliant striker for some years. I can unfortunately see him being the player Juve hang their hat on if they can move Ronaldo on this summer, which would be a real shame because I'd like to see him test himself with us, if we're indeed interested.

I could also see him as a Lewandowski replacement at Bayern - Nagelsmann likes a tall, strong centre forward, though it might be a timing issue, given Lewandowski seems as effective as ever and Vlahovic will almost certainly move this summer.

I agree. Markovic played in an inferior league as well. Vlahovic has already massively improved his output in a years time, [in a horrible side], last year he scored 8 in 34, this season he already has 19 in 36.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2420 on: May 4, 2021, 01:13:49 pm »
Plus all of Markovic's issues were mental and confidence based by all accounts, rather than down to his ability. Not helped by how Rodgers treated him.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2421 on: May 4, 2021, 02:15:41 pm »
Mourinho confirmed as Roma coach for next season.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2422 on: May 4, 2021, 02:16:59 pm »
https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/1389567974097530881

The club are delighted to announce an agreement has been reached with Jose Mourinho for him to become our new head coach ahead of the 2021-22 season.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2423 on: May 4, 2021, 02:17:40 pm »
Mourinho just signed for Roma according to Fabrizio Romano. Surprising but it may work well for him as expectations are lower (Top 4) and he can build from there.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2424 on: May 4, 2021, 02:18:40 pm »
Hahaha, enjoy him you horrible bastards  :wave

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2425 on: May 4, 2021, 02:18:51 pm »
That might be good for them.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2426 on: May 4, 2021, 02:22:02 pm »
Out of the blue that, seems they have a billionaire owner so he's been promised some cash no doubt.

He'd be a God over there winning a title at Roma, build a decent squad and with his know how, like Conte's just done he could win a title.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2427 on: May 4, 2021, 02:23:02 pm »

Maybe I should've given Luka Jovic as the example  ;)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2428 on: May 4, 2021, 02:25:41 pm »
Out of the blue that, seems they have a billionaire owner so he's been promised some cash no doubt.

He'd be a God over there winning a title at Roma, build a decent squad and with his know how, like Conte's just done he could win a title.
7th in the league and thrashed by Utd, best time for him. He starts at end of the season though.
I can see his side sneaking a Top 4 spot ahead of Atalanta, Milan, Napoli with the right transfers.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2429 on: May 4, 2021, 02:30:47 pm »
They've only ever won 12 trophies, 3 Serie A and 9 Copa's. Really low number for a big club.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2430 on: May 4, 2021, 02:35:24 pm »
They've only ever won 12 trophies, 3 Serie A and 9 Copa's. Really low number for a big club.
They might have won some European honours if they hadn't ran into us on a number of occasions  ;)
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2431 on: May 4, 2021, 02:35:47 pm »
To quote Hastings in Line of Duty, "how some people can fail upwards, beggers belief".

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2432 on: May 4, 2021, 02:36:06 pm »
Are they a big club? No disrespect, they huge compared to most teams, but Italy has it's big 3 and the rest.

Think it's definitely a better fit for Mou than Tottenham, but this will probably end bad as well.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #2433 on: May 4, 2021, 02:46:39 pm »
You just know he'll win a cup with them in a year or two and that will send the Spurs fans crazy

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2434 on: May 4, 2021, 02:52:00 pm »
Maybe I should've given Luka Jovic as the example  ;)
I would've had less to say on that one  ;D

Are they a big club? No disrespect, they huge compared to most teams, but Italy has it's big 3 and the rest.

Think it's definitely a better fit for Mou than Tottenham, but this will probably end bad as well.
Roma are massive. Historically they've just struggled in the last 60 years to have the financial backing of Juve or the Milan clubs, they've not really had an Agnelli (family), Berlusconi or Moratti family - they were down in Serie B when the likes of John Charles was at Juve.

In the early 80s when they had a bit more comparative financial might, they were as good as Milan and Juve, if not better, they won a Scudetto and came runners up 4 times in the years around this, to different opponents, as well as losing to ourselves in a European final. They then struggled to compete and invest in a similar way to their rivals for pretty much all of the 90s until they had the likes of Totti at his peak and Gabigol.

In Rome, Roma are seen as the bigger club than Lazio.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2435 on: May 4, 2021, 03:05:08 pm »
https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/1389567974097530881

A couple of days ago he was taking up a columnist job for The Times during the Euros and stated he wanted to manage in the PL

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2436 on: May 4, 2021, 03:54:40 pm »
That's a shock. Conte probably can't wait to strangle him.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2437 on: May 4, 2021, 03:58:39 pm »
You just wrote his new heritage talk ;D

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #2438 on: May 4, 2021, 03:58:57 pm »
R.I.P. Roma
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2439 on: May 4, 2021, 04:14:31 pm »
R.I.P. Roma
exactly. Really makes you want to vomit how this guy gets jobs and paid so much money (