Author Topic: Chernobyl (HBO mini series)  (Read 16362 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: Chernobyl (HBO mini series)
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2019, 11:42:58 am »
Hard to believe that Craig Mazin, who up to now has a track record of writing fairly poor comedy films, could come up with this, but hats off.
Being a roommate of Ted Cruz in college is good preparation for writing about toxic and radioactive catastrophes.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2019, 12:54:40 pm »
Just re-watched Episode 1 in its entirety with full concentration.

I must have had my head up my arse when i originally watched this last night.  Oh my god what an incredible episode of TV.

The speech from Executive Committee Member Zharkov in the bunker was frankly disturbing.  "Let the people concentrate on their labour and leave matters of the state to the state".  Holy shit!!!  (He's also Maester Luwin from GoT no less)

The scene with the Engineer who was sent to the rooftop to look down in the reactor building was incredible.

Better do some work now but watching EP2 tonight :)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2019, 07:33:27 pm »
Absolutely gripping, yet horrifying stuff. Best thing I've seen in a long time so far.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2019, 07:36:26 pm »
The relationship between Stellan Skarsgard's Boris and Jared Harris's Valery is one of the best drawn I've seen on television recently.  The push-and-pull of each character's background and actions forcing each other to meet on a common ground - the theoretical scientist realising what he must ask of the pilots and the miners, and the party apparatchik understanding that ideology and status might get everyone killed unless he listens to the experts. All the while knowing that this is going to kill them.

It's a masterclass in writing and acting, and is a great example of how the longer format of television is so much more helpful than movies when it comes to character development.
It’s scintillating.

Harris is brilliant, and the way Skarsgards character has gently become more human is wonderful.
Dont think I'll be able to watch when the babies start getting born. I remember they used to bring groups of chernobyl kids to my town every summer for a break, unbelievably sad.

They used to be quite a few at Anfield in the 90s.

They brought them over for breaks.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:37:57 pm by Tepid T₂O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2019, 08:03:18 am »
Goosebumps from start to finish. Im absolutely drained after watching the three episodes, felt like I was there. Makes me detest the communists even more. My parents used to tell me stories how the Bulgarian government kept their mouth shut while Labor Day parades were held under the falling radioactive rain.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:52:20 am by RedSamba »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2019, 10:06:46 am »
Aside from the obvious like acting, script, cinematography and soundtrack I especially love how the makers have done a fantastic job of interpreting what 1980's communist USSR looked like

I appreciate much of the Ukraine and areas of former USSR are probably still very much untouched but the job they have done with continuity has been amazing.  Not once have I felt I have been watching a movie set and been anywhere else other than USSR.

I'm up to date now and episode 3 was indeed grim viewing :(   

Thought the Miner scenes were great though and a little bit of welcome relief from the misery.   "Now you look like the minister for coal" :)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2019, 03:43:22 pm »
Dont think I'll be able to watch when the babies start getting born. I remember they used to bring groups of chernobyl kids to my town every summer for a break, unbelievably sad.

They still do that around my way, they come for six weeks every summer for a few years in a row to boost their immune system.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2019, 10:37:56 am »
Episode 3 was the hardest watch so far. Don't recommend binge watching this back to back.

Excellent production and the sets and acting have been first class. I've not seen people suffering from radiation exposure before and I hope I don't have to see it again. Harrowing.

The number of deaths due to radiation sickness may have been in the 30s but the crucial number is how many cancers resulted across the continent. Difficult to be accurate due to normal incidence but it must have been thousands.

The clean up of the huge area affected must have been a massive task. The scientist speaking to Gorbachev and the hierarchy around the table mentioned 750,000 men required to turn over the top soil and rocks affected not to mention the forests that had to be destroyed.

The 80s was a decade of disasters with Chernobyl the biggest by far. I'm not sure the culture in Russia has changed that much as the recent denials of what happened in Salisbury showed. If the state says the 2 Russian visitors were admiring Salisbury cathedral nobody dare contradict that fact.

Can't wait for the next episode as it's riveting viewing. Jared Harris and Emily Watson have been superb.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2019, 11:27:36 am »
Aside from the obvious like acting, script, cinematography and soundtrack I especially love how the makers have done a fantastic job of interpreting what 1980's communist USSR looked like

I appreciate much of the Ukraine and areas of former USSR are probably still very much untouched but the job they have done with continuity has been amazing.  Not once have I felt I have been watching a movie set and been anywhere else other than USSR.

I'm up to date now and episode 3 was indeed grim viewing :(   

Thought the Miner scenes were great though and a little bit of welcome relief from the misery.   "Now you look like the minister for coal" :)

It is shot in Lithuania.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2019, 02:16:50 pm »
Watched the first two episodes last night and thought it was an amazing production, it's up there with Band of Brothers and The Pacific for me. It is similar to those in that it is based on a true story and HBO haven't pulled any punches with some extremely dark and graphic scenes, which is what it must have been like, truly upsetting to watch. The scene with the worker who forced open the reactor door was horrific, the wildlife scenes and the hospital scenes are just awful.

As with other HBO productions the special effects and use of CGI and its integration has been very well done as it was in Band of Brothers. Whilst Band of Brothers had some very dark and graphic scenes which were very upsetting, there were also some positive scenes too, I fear this will have little if any positives - it was such a grim situation. I do remember it happening and it was terrifying not just for the people in the vicinity but for the entire continent of Europe, contamination was even found in Cumbria which effected to UK food chain.

I hope something like this never happens again, they are still trying to clean it up to this day and will take many years. Well done to the producers - A story that needed to be told. 
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2019, 02:37:31 pm »
In the Soviet Union at the time a lot of, if not nearly all, their nuclear research was state secrets. Your average power plant scientist/technician would only have known what they would have been told.  If they were told that the core couldn’t explode or meltdown then they’d have no reason to doubt it, it was still a fairly new science back then and most of them wouldn’t have been nuclear research scientists. They’d have just been told enough to do their jobs, they certainly wouldn’t have been told that there had been close calls at other plants and danger had been averted, and they wouldn’t have been told about the dangers. The Soviet Union was not very forthcoming about these things.

So when something you’ve been told can’t go bang does in fact go bang you’re a little taken a back and will naturally assume that it must have been something else.  Those who probably do know a little bit and know the possible fallout, so to speak, of a nuclear explosion are likely to freeze or go into denial about the situation, and be worried about all sorts of things like their position, or worse. You could see that they were scared about people higher up the chain and in government finding out.

So it’s a mix of ignorance, denial, people freezing/intentionally keeping quiet.

That's a great post, I've been on quite a few System Safety training courses over the years and two of the most common case studies are 'Piper Alpha' and the 'Challenger' disasters. In both of these incidents one of the causes that repeatedly gets cited is the failure of the safety culture within the corporation in that commercial targets took precedence over safety concerns. A lack of independent governance to prevent such decisions without fear of retribution is usually a factor too. So when you add to the mix the fear that people had working under an oppressive Soviet Union regime then you have a completely different dynamic again.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2019, 06:02:15 pm »
The last minute of the video is amazing at how perfectly it fits as they slide the arch in place.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n7aMcKinrWY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n7aMcKinrWY</a>

Unit 2 reactor at Chernobyl.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Oe_zzTQFV3o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Oe_zzTQFV3o</a>

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 06:20:38 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2019, 12:16:28 am »
Anyone any idea what the benefits are of the sarcophagus after all this time, especially as the radiation seems so low around the site its now a popular tourism spot.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2019, 12:43:24 am »
Anyone any idea what the benefits are of the sarcophagus after all this time, especially as the radiation seems so low around the site its now a popular tourism spot.

The surrounding area maybe much less contaminated compared to what it was, but inside the reactor and the plant there is still many tonnes of highly radioactive material. Uranium, Plutonium, the contaminated reactor itself and so on. Very unpleasant and dangerous stuff, it might not give you a lethal dose in 3-4 minutes or whatever it was 30 years ago, but it’ll still make you quite ill after a few hours.  It’s also not just a case of keeping that on the inside, it’s also to keep the environment out. You don’t want adverse weather, or anything else, disturbing it and blowing debris up into the air, onto the surrounding ground, and having wind blow it over a wide area...again.  Now that might not be probable, but it’s possible, so it’s very much safety first. As it should be.

The old shell was being damaged from the inside. It wasn’t at the point where a sudden gust of wind was going to collapse it into the material below it or anything,  but enough people were concerned about the damage over time to build the new shell which should last a lot longer.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:48:06 am by Kekuleyule y'all! »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2019, 04:14:18 am »
It looks really good and I really need to watch it.... But dont know if I can bare watching people slowly dying of Radiation sickness. 
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2019, 09:28:44 am »
In the Soviet Union at the time a lot of, if not nearly all, their nuclear research was state secrets. Your average power plant scientist/technician would only have known what they would have been told.  If they were told that the core couldn’t explode or meltdown then they’d have no reason to doubt it, it was still a fairly new science back then and most of them wouldn’t have been nuclear research scientists. They’d have just been told enough to do their jobs, they certainly wouldn’t have been told that there had been close calls at other plants and danger had been averted, and they wouldn’t have been told about the dangers. The Soviet Union was not very forthcoming about these things.

So when something you’ve been told can’t go bang does in fact go bang you’re a little taken a back and will naturally assume that it must have been something else.  Those who probably do know a little bit and know the possible fallout, so to speak, of a nuclear explosion are likely to freeze or go into denial about the situation, and be worried about all sorts of things like their position, or worse. You could see that they were scared about people higher up the chain and in government finding out.

So it’s a mix of ignorance, denial, people freezing/intentionally keeping quiet.

:thumbup

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2019, 06:47:11 pm »
Episode 3 was the hardest watch so far. Don't recommend binge watching this back to back.

Excellent production and the sets and acting have been first class. I've not seen people suffering from radiation exposure before and I hope I don't have to see it again. Harrowing.

The number of deaths due to radiation sickness may have been in the 30s but the crucial number is how many cancers resulted across the continent. Difficult to be accurate due to normal incidence but it must have been thousands.

The clean up of the huge area affected must have been a massive task. The scientist speaking to Gorbachev and the hierarchy around the table mentioned 750,000 men required to turn over the top soil and rocks affected not to mention the forests that had to be destroyed.

The 80s was a decade of disasters with Chernobyl the biggest by far. I'm not sure the culture in Russia has changed that much as the recent denials of what happened in Salisbury showed. If the state says the 2 Russian visitors were admiring Salisbury cathedral nobody dare contradict that fact.

Can't wait for the next episode as it's riveting viewing. Jared Harris and Emily Watson have been superb.

Grim viewing that

Spoiler
Was having my tea when the bit with the miners was on :puke ;D
[close]

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2019, 06:54:50 pm »
Grim viewing that

Spoiler
Was having my tea when the bit with the miners was on :puke ;D
[close]

Sausage and Mash?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2019, 07:11:00 pm »

From memory, watching the excellent documentary, the sarcophagus was funded or partially funded by the EU.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2019, 08:22:10 pm »
The surrounding area maybe much less contaminated compared to what it was, but inside the reactor and the plant there is still many tonnes of highly radioactive material. Uranium, Plutonium, the contaminated reactor itself and so on. Very unpleasant and dangerous stuff, it might not give you a lethal dose in 3-4 minutes or whatever it was 30 years ago, but it’ll still make you quite ill after a few hours.  It’s also not just a case of keeping that on the inside, it’s also to keep the environment out. You don’t want adverse weather, or anything else, disturbing it and blowing debris up into the air, onto the surrounding ground, and having wind blow it over a wide area...again.  Now that might not be probable, but it’s possible, so it’s very much safety first. As it should be.

The old shell was being damaged from the inside. It wasn’t at the point where a sudden gust of wind was going to collapse it into the material below it or anything,  but enough people were concerned about the damage over time to build the new shell which should last a lot longer.

👍

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2019, 02:09:11 am »

The scene with the Engineer who was sent to the rooftop to look down in the reactor building was incredible.

It was a standout scene for sure. The way it was shot, and the music. It felt like he was about to peer into Hell itself, and the menacing dread of the billowing pillar of smoke streaming from the reactor core. Its framed in a way to suggest it was some kind of monster. That wasn't just smoke. It was death itself.  And the scene with the fallout ash was harrowing as fuck. Easily one of the most well executed things I've seen on TV.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2019, 06:14:46 am »
It was a standout scene for sure. The way it was shot, and the music. It felt like he was about to peer into Hell itself, and the menacing dread of the billowing pillar of smoke streaming from the reactor core. Its framed in a way to suggest it was some kind of monster. That wasn't just smoke. It was death itself.  And the scene with the fallout ash was harrowing as fuck. Easily one of the most well executed things I've seen on TV.

Aye, fully agree. As have said, I was underwhelmed by the first episode, but am so glad that I got it wrong and give it the time it deserves. I think I may have had one or two of my nephew's special cigarettes when I first watched it, but felt (at first) they were underplaying their roles a bit.

I think it truly began to form when Jarrod Harris, Emily Watson and Stellan Skarsgaard came into the play - and  the concurrent episodes kind of texturised the first episode for me. The paranoia and fear of blame all ping back to that first episode and perfectly epitomised the level of fear around the KGB and Commie party.

One of the things that struck me was the fear of the truth - if you face the truth, you are responsible and this was perfectly exemplified in one single scene.

[Whine]

Spoiler

The only real criticism I can muster is some of the accents... while films are different, films like Valkyrie and Hunt for Red October used a very clever and creative way of getting out of the need for blanket accents. Emma Watson is great, but when she and Jarrod Harris share duologue's, it is a bit like when Daniel Craig and Robin Wright share a duologue in TGWTDT.

Those scenes stick out a bit for me, I would have much preferred it if they either cast bilinguals, or have blanket accents to not detract from the drama and dialogue.

Me being whiney and overthinking (again), but that's just my opinion and I dunno.. Half of me thinks that either Emily Watson should have dialled back, or that Jarrod Harris should have had a crack. I dunno, I hate myself for not being able to just enjoy a drama for drama's sake, but it's in me... I can't fucking shake it.

[close]

[/whine]
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2019, 09:34:41 pm »
Aye, fully agree. As have said, I was underwhelmed by the first episode, but am so glad that I got it wrong and give it the time it deserves. I think I may have had one or two of my nephew's special cigarettes when I first watched it, but felt (at first) they were underplaying their roles a bit.

I think it truly began to form when Jarrod Harris, Emily Watson and Stellan Skarsgaard came into the play - and  the concurrent episodes kind of texturised the first episode for me. The paranoia and fear of blame all ping back to that first episode and perfectly epitomised the level of fear around the KGB and Commie party.

One of the things that struck me was the fear of the truth - if you face the truth, you are responsible and this was perfectly exemplified in one single scene.

[Whine]

Spoiler

The only real criticism I can muster is some of the accents... while films are different, films like Valkyrie and Hunt for Red October used a very clever and creative way of getting out of the need for blanket accents. Emma Watson is great, but when she and Jarrod Harris share duologue's, it is a bit like when Daniel Craig and Robin Wright share a duologue in TGWTDT.

Those scenes stick out a bit for me, I would have much preferred it if they either cast bilinguals, or have blanket accents to not detract from the drama and dialogue.

Me being whiney and overthinking (again), but that's just my opinion and I dunno.. Half of me thinks that either Emily Watson should have dialled back, or that Jarrod Harris should have had a crack. I dunno, I hate myself for not being able to just enjoy a drama for drama's sake, but it's in me... I can't fucking shake it.

[close]

[/whine]
I know what you mean. I'd the same thought. Imagining what these actors would sound like if they were speaking Russian, or at least an English Russian accent. But as you say, a blanket accent would come across as being trite, or even in bad taste. This is a story not for the actors to portray how good they are at accents. It's to focus on just telling the story, without being detracted by silly stereotypical accents if they all couldn't master a dialect. Enemy at the Gates does the same thing. The only one in that film that decided to have a go at it was Bob Hoskins. He got away with it only because that film is a bit on the "Hollywood" side of things anyway, so you could excuse him. Bob's ace, though, so fair play to him.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2019, 09:59:28 pm »
What a fantastic production. Really grim watching, but jaw dropping at the same time. This will win loads of awards.

I do wonder how people who have been affected in some way by the events are feeling about it though. Can't be a very pleasant experience.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2019, 12:49:19 am »
I know what you mean. I'd the same thought. Imagining what these actors would sound like if they were speaking Russian, or at least an English Russian accent. But as you say, a blanket accent would come across as being trite, or even in bad taste. This is a story not for the actors to portray how good they are at accents. It's to focus on just telling the story, without being detracted by silly stereotypical accents if they all couldn't master a dialect. Enemy at the Gates does the same thing. The only one in that film that decided to have a go at it was Bob Hoskins. He got away with it only because that film is a bit on the "Hollywood" side of things anyway, so you could excuse him. Bob's ace, though, so fair play to him.

Aye dude, thing is, it doesn't really detract from the programme at all, but I'd be interested to hear what locals think of it. Not a massive thing by any stretch, the acting is superb, but as you say, I guess it comes down to the actor himself.

I've seen Dutch plays where some of the actors tried to employ British RP (Shakesy), and some others just did it in their normal accent. The guys and girls who did it in their own accents came across farrrrrr better actors as they weren't focussing all their efforts on getting the sound right.

This is different, of course, and you know, there are certain actors who can just cheat it and get away with it because they are either so well-known (which does make a difference), or you just forget about it. Daniel Craig in TGWDT I get, he had the most lines - and Jarrod Harris may be in a similar position. Most of these guys employ vocal coaches to work with them, and that usually takes time.

There was a pretty well-known vocal coach at LIPA called Terry something or other - he was very well known and you never actually knew where he was from. He was amazing and he had a lot of soap actors on his books and if anyone needed help, he was always there. But even he used to say that accents take time. Maybe it is just that, time... maybe Harris was cast quite late or replaced or something.

But IMDB has this:

The actors talk to each other in their natural English. But all speech heard through artificial means - through the radio, emergency telephone call recordings, Soviet television news and even announcements made through public address systems - is in Russian.

I'm not sure that's true?

Anyhow, it's on tonight on HBO at 2 am I think, I'll be staying up to watch it. Fantastic viewing. I'm sure it was you who told me to stick with it in an earlier thread (or the TV one), nice one!

I've got a feeling this week's ep is going off big time.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2019, 03:09:18 am »
Jesus, that Ep4 was the hardest watch yet.  :-[
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2019, 09:58:20 am »
I have been watching it and it has been done brilliantly. Difficult watch at times.

Whilst it was a huge disaster, which I remember well, I didn`t realise how close it came to armageddon on an unimaginable scale. Eye opening stuff.

The two sides of the 'state' as well. The side that doesn`t admit anything and doesn`t give a fuck about the people, but conversely when it needs to mobilise enormous resources very quickly is able to do that on a  huge scale without opposition.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2019, 10:57:16 am »
Aye dude, thing is, it doesn't really detract from the programme at all, but I'd be interested to hear what locals think of it.

There is a short Twitter thread by someone who lived under that regime about the depictions in the show. One comment does touch on the accents.

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132029943297265664?s=19

As an aside, I am particularly happy about the decision to have the characters speak normal British English, not mangled Russian or English with a corny "Russian" accent. Poor Matthew Rhys and Kerry Russel... Their tortured attempts to speak Russian almost ruined The Americans...

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2019, 08:34:15 pm »
The companion podcast does go into the decisions taken and reasons for not using cod Russian accents or subtitles. Second episode I think.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2019, 09:20:18 pm »
Another brilliant episode.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2019, 10:20:01 pm »

There is a short Twitter thread by someone who lived under that regime about the depictions in the show. One comment does touch on the accents.

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132029943297265664?s=19

Aye, but they did - Emily Watson put on, what sounded to me, like an almost Slavic accent, and a few of the others did.

Regardless, it's not really a biggie in the grand scheme of things, it's just something I noticed and without googling it, some may be Eastern actors who are just speaking English. It only stuck out to me when Jarrod Harris and Emily Watson had scenes together and it was just a bit disjointed.

Across the USSR there were many different accents and probably even some folk who may have been educated in England, I mean, Daniel Craig is right in what he says, there are a lot of folk who learn English and they learn from TV. Which is why a lot of Kosovans and Albanians sometimes, sound American when they speak English.

I went to uni with a lot of international students and if they didn't have foreign names, and never said, you'd swear they were English... especially some Scandanavians.

Anyhow, that episode was heartbreaking.

The companion podcast does go into the decisions taken and reasons for not using cod Russian accents or subtitles. Second episode I think.

Yeah man, I might give it a listen tonight.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2019, 10:38:25 pm »
Fucking superb ...again
The seemingly simple act of focusing on the young recruit and what he had to deal with
And then the 90 seconds conscripts

+6 ticket exchange

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2019, 01:40:03 am »
Incredible episode, felt like I was on the roof shovelling the carbon off, my heart was pounding so much. I’m sure I read they only had 40 seconds on the roof not 90.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2019, 03:10:18 am »
Fairly keen to listen to the podcast to get a bit more information on the number of deaths resulting from Chernobyl. It seems like the estimates vary wildly - probably a whole lot more than the 4,000 estimated in 1986, but maybe not quite as many as the 1 million odd claimed by one account.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2019, 10:37:46 am »
Fucking superb ...again
The seemingly simple act of focusing on the young recruit and what he had to deal with
And then the 90 seconds conscripts

"you're done" 😕

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2019, 11:58:32 am »
Jesus, that Ep4 was the hardest watch yet.  :-[

I know it sounds odd when we saw people literally melting before our eyes in the 3rd but that's how I felt as well. Incredible amount of triggering for pet owners ( and not). The close ups on the young lad were magnificent and haunting.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2019, 12:02:10 pm »
I'm fairly positive that we're currently watching something that'll be remembered with the same kind of enthusiasm as Band of Brothers. Everything about this has been almost flawless TV/film making. Granted, the information about what actually happened, in terms of some of the more intimate stories, might be a little vague, but that works well in its favour too, as the broader disaster is gotten across to such an incredibly poignant extent, it doesn't really matter. The makers of this could have went for shock value, but they tastefully opted out of doing that. As Gripweed said, this should win many awards.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2019, 12:04:31 pm »
It's absolutely unbelievable TV. Jared Harris is a tremendous actor, loved him in Mad Men too.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2019, 02:12:04 pm »
Superb TV. Does anyone know how many episodes this is going to be?
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2019, 02:21:27 pm »
Superb TV. Does anyone know how many episodes this is going to be?

Five it seems.

Superb television. The accompanying podcasts are really good too, well worth a listen.