Author Topic: Liverpool news thread  (Read 124103 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool news thread
« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2019, 08:56:24 pm »
Cheering piece of news about the Royal Daffodil,  https://www.liverpoolcityregion-ca.gov.uk/new-home-for-royal-daffodil/

Whilst that is very good news, I'm shocked to hear Rotheram say she was close to being sent to the breakers.  That would be an absolutely disgusting fate.

As scrap value she'd be worth peanuts.  It would make no sense at all.  (But then this is Liverpool we're talking about.)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2019, 12:14:02 am »
Whilst that is very good news, I'm shocked to hear Rotheram say she was close to being sent to the breakers.  That would be an absolutely disgusting fate.

As scrap value she'd be worth peanuts.  It would make no sense at all.  (But then this is Liverpool we're talking about.)

I know. You just roll your eyes at times.

We have the Royal Iris derelict and partially sunk on the Thames at Woolwich and we've also lost the Planet Lightship in recent years. It's great to hear that the Daffodil will become attraction once more, though.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »

An almost invariable fate unfortunately. Luckily there are some enthusiasts who can sometimes make a difference; there are a few instances in the linkbelow.

The Daff in 1968, from this blog: https://liverpoolspedding.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:25:27 pm by Tsar Kastik »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2019, 09:24:36 pm »
An almost invariable fate unfortunately. Luckily there are some enthusiasts who can sometimes make a difference; there are a few instances in the linkbelow.

The Daff in 1968, from this blog: https://liverpoolspedding.blogspot.com/

some good pictures in there, but what's with that one you shared?  Looks like she's down at the bow and taking on water?  Didn't see it reference in the link.

I tried setting up a page on FB about saving the Royal Iris and it got over a hundred members.  We had a few meetings but my mental health had deteriorated.  I said from the start I had no intention of doing everything and it had to be a collective effort; but nobody else seemed arsed in doing any heavy lifting on the project, so I abandoned it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2019, 10:28:38 pm »
some good pictures in there, but what's with that one you shared?  Looks like she's down at the bow and taking on water?  Didn't see it reference in the link.

I tried setting up a page on FB about saving the Royal Iris and it got over a hundred members.  We had a few meetings but my mental health had deteriorated.  I said from the start I had no intention of doing everything and it had to be a collective effort; but nobody else seemed arsed in doing any heavy lifting on the project, so I abandoned it.
It's at #61 in the images, RB. There's also a few LFC references on the same page here, https://liverpoolspedding.blogspot.com/2019/03/61-royal-daffodil-april-1966.html

And well done  for trying to get something going on the rescue.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2019, 12:47:18 am »

I'd never seen that picture before. Says she collided with a barge being towed by a tug.

It's such a shame about the Royal Iris. Good on you for trying to get a project going on it. I hope your mental health issues have improved since then.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2019, 11:40:38 pm »
I'd never seen that picture before. Says she collided with a barge being towed by a tug.

It's such a shame about the Royal Iris. Good on you for trying to get a project going on it. I hope your mental health issues have improved since then.

They have, but not so much as I can be arsed trying to single handedly rescue a piece of iconic Liverpool history. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2019, 01:44:33 am »
They have, but not so much as I can be arsed trying to single handedly rescue a piece of iconic Liverpool history. ;D
Good to hear your MH issues have improved.  :)

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2019, 07:16:51 am »
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2019, 10:39:17 am »
There are no adequate words to describe what happened to this tragic man!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/21/stephen-smith-liverpool-seriously-ill-emaciated-man-denied-benefits-dwp-dies

It's outrageous.

I've mentioned it before but the lack of humanity amongst the staff in the DWP seems to have become institutional.

How can the DWP people who make these decisions that have these appalling consequences sleep at night, do they never stop and think ..this guy could be my Dad..?
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2019, 10:44:00 am »
It's outrageous.

I've mentioned it before but the lack of humanity amongst the staff in the DWP seems to have become institutional.

How can the DWP people who make these decisions that have these appalling consequences sleep at night, do they never stop and think ..this guy could be my Dad..?

They're only following orders.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2019, 10:49:05 am »

Depressingly probably true.

My Dad always used to say that if Hitler had successfully invaded and conquered the UK, there would have been far too many here who would have backed and served the Nazi cause.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2019, 11:26:31 am »
I wouldn't work in the dole office for any money, my wife worked in Belle Vale dole in the 80's, some of the people you are dealing with are extremely difficult to say the least, I have many friends in Netherley and I have seen this, threats, violence all kinds. Maybe some staff are twats dunno but they are dealing with some right sly bastards so its not as cut and dried as most seem to think. I was talking to an old mate a couple of days ago who worked in the old CAB in Speke and he was saying that the new system is actually better but it has been rolled out shit and the appeals etc. are not ready. This is why we are seeing heartbreaking and scandalous cases - dont forget we also had these cases under all welfare systems that I can remember.

Its simply got much harder to choose not to work, family members I have are career criminals and some very wealthy yet did they refuse the "free" money, rent, council tax etc, ? Did they shit but it was so easy years ago, it is not the case now. The classic ones bad back (replaced now by mental health, sadly), cant read or write (this worked for years), I'm a klepetomaniac (used by career shoplifters) etc. are gone now. Bad backs can be diagnosed accurately hence the switch to mental health, cant read or write - go to lessons or be sanctioned, this has led to anger amongst people who basically retired from working to live (exist for some) on the dole years ago and its a shock to their system.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2019, 11:57:09 am »

No one is denying that there have been those who could, would and did exploit the system and given the opportunity, will continue to do so.

We've all probably known or encountered people like that.

It's the same with any scheme that allows claims and payouts such as insurance, the whole had an accident not your fault system compensation industry, it's potentially money for nothing so it will always attract those with a grifter mentality who will try to exploit it.

But these sorts are not the majority and the problem is when you start with the Institutional assumption that all claimants are of that mentality, then this sort of tragic outcome is inevitable with the vulnerable, the real needy, then slipping through the safety net.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: April 22, 2019, 02:08:58 pm »
Depressingly probably true.

My Dad always used to say that if Hitler had successfully invaded and conquered the UK, there would have been far too many here who would have backed and served the Nazi cause.

My dad said exactly the same - Stand in any crowd and within 30 yards there'll be someone happy to be a guard in a concentration camp.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: April 22, 2019, 04:03:04 pm »

Yep, It's the machine that kills, but it wouldn't work without all the little cogs that turn in it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2019, 07:18:17 pm »

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2019, 11:21:41 pm »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2019, 07:04:55 pm »
Daff'uck!!

https://www.facebook.com/MerseysideOnFilm/videos/325618891471481/

I remember that.  Ferry Captain got a right roasting for it.  Don't know what he was thinking.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: June 8, 2019, 11:51:09 am »
Liverpool Street Cleaner gets MBE.
Mr McArdle, who has been cleaning the streets since 2006, is getting his honour for services to Liverpool, where he is known for his "great sense of humour and positive outlook which brightens other people's day".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48558289

Good bit of news.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #260 on: June 8, 2019, 01:16:11 pm »
Glad to see he's picked himself up and got his life back on track after Brookside.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Fire behind the Anglican
« Reply #261 on: July 6, 2019, 07:20:00 pm »
What’s going on? Looks like Chinatown way.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fire behind the Anglican
« Reply #262 on: July 6, 2019, 07:32:51 pm »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-large-fire-sends-thick-16543979

Fire 'involves block of flats'

It is being reported by witnesses that the fire centres on a block of flats close to the Anglican cathedral. At this stage this is unconfirmed and we are awaiting more details from the fire service.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: July 6, 2019, 11:39:35 pm »
^
Thankfully, it turns out the fire was just a rubbish fire on wasteground and no one was hurt or property damaged. Seems it looked a lot worse than it was.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: July 11, 2019, 11:52:04 am »
The Echo, seeking out the important issues;

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/young-couple-wake-up-find-16558694

Obviously nothing else to report.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #265 on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:15 pm »
Sending wishes and prayers.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2019, 12:54:14 pm »
The Echo, seeking out the important issues;

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/young-couple-wake-up-find-16558694

Obviously nothing else to report.

Just the usual tabloid shit, is it unusual for the Echo to have something like this?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #267 on: July 11, 2019, 01:17:55 pm »
Just the usual tabloid shit, is it unusual for the Echo to have something like this?

Its shocking how much the Echo has turned into a rag in recent years. Some of the articles they are publishing are beyond embarrassing, add to that compo faces, click bate headlines, it really has turned to shit.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #268 on: July 11, 2019, 01:56:14 pm »
its annoys me that I still look on their site

as far as I know its the only place that has local news.
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: July 11, 2019, 02:58:57 pm »
Its shocking how much the Echo has turned into a rag in recent years. Some of the articles they are publishing are beyond embarrassing, add to that compo faces, click bate headlines, it really has turned to shit.
It's dreadful. I gave up on the hard copy years ago, but the website has to be one of the worst on the internet. Terribly frustrating to navigate and it usually fries my phone if I view it on that. Pop-ups, automatically playing videos I don't want to watch. Adverts all over what I do want to watch.  :no :butt :no
They can hardly spell on there either. I'm no wordsmith myself, but they get paid for that. The click bait headlines are more the kind of thing you expect from the down market tabloids too.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2019, 03:50:54 pm »
It's dreadful. I gave up on the hard copy years ago, but the website has to be one of the worst on the internet. Terribly frustrating to navigate and it usually fries my phone if I view it on that. Pop-ups, automatically playing videos I don't want to watch. Adverts all over what I do want to watch.  :no :butt :no
They can hardly spell on there either. I'm no wordsmith myself, but they get paid for that. The click bait headlines are more the kind of thing you expect from the down market tabloids too.

Its a part of Reach - rebranded Trinity Mirror - which owns the People, so no surprise there. They own other papers too, you can always tell if it is one of theirs by the website, all the websites are the same, utter dogshit.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: July 11, 2019, 03:57:37 pm »
^
Thankfully, it turns out the fire was just a rubbish fire on wasteground and no one was hurt or property damaged. Seems it looked a lot worse than it was.

That's good to know, thanks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: July 11, 2019, 05:38:09 pm »

A couple of years ago I was doing some research on 1970 using the Echo of the time.

Not elevant to what I was looking at but the coverage of the impending General Election was up to the standard you'd expect from a broadsheet (well the Echo was still a broadsheet bu you know what I mean).

Now they'd have a picture of Jeremy Corbyn's cat and Boris in an amusing pose on a zipwire on page 13.

Front page headlines would be a mum complaining about a tattoo parlour misspelling her little princess's name festooned on her ample thigh.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: July 11, 2019, 06:39:18 pm »
Its a part of Reach - rebranded Trinity Mirror - which owns the People, so no surprise there. They own other papers too, you can always tell if it is one of theirs by the website, all the websites are the same, utter dogshit.
Yep, I've come across some of the other sites as well. Absolutely awful they are too.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2019, 01:16:42 pm »

Great news this..

Abandoned for 30 years now Toxteth's Welsh church will get a new lease of life

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/after-being-abandoned-30-years-16567482#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2019, 03:32:23 pm »
Great news this..

Abandoned for 30 years now Toxteth's Welsh church will get a new lease of life

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/after-being-abandoned-30-years-16567482#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

Fantastic idea. Really hope it comes to fruition.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #276 on: July 15, 2019, 11:10:11 pm »
A Fantastic building left to rot for decades, brilliant proposal and I hope it gets done. Well in Steven Yip.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2019, 10:15:45 pm »
A Fantastic building left to rot for decades, brilliant proposal and I hope it gets done. Well in Steven Yip.

Just looked Steven up and realised he's the Chinese Detective's brother!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2019, 10:20:26 pm »
Been keeping tabs on this.  Great news for the building and the area.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #279 on: July 18, 2019, 03:20:05 pm »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.