Author Topic: Lucas injury is a blow, but not a fatal one  (Read 6503 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Lucas injury is a blow, but not a fatal one
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:52:15 pm »
Though he is a player renowned for his timing, especially when up against the best the Premier League can muster, Lucas Leiva's injury on Sunday could not have come at a worse moment for him. How cruel symmetry can be. Back in November, Lucas produced a performance against Manchester City that had English football salivating; the seemingly unstoppable of Yaya Toure met the immovable object; the Brazilian's shackling of the Ivorian purely cinematic. In this year's corresponding fixture, he trudged off holding his thigh, just a couple of minutes into the game, just a handful of games into his comeback.

He knew the moment it happened that this wasn't a mere dead leg, just like he knew in December that his knee injury during Liverpool's League Cup victory over Chelsea was no slight tweak. It was third time unlucky for the Brazilian international: his previous two appearances at Stamford Bridge yielded man-of-the-man awards. He was well on his way to a third, too. How symmetry can be so cruel.

The Kop have fallen for the 25-year-old – they say so in the song, after all. They like him; in fact, they love him. If there's any consolation for Brendan Rodgers, it's that Lucas Leiva is a fighter. He fought to recover from his knee injury ahead of schedule and start the first league game against West Brom; he fought for the affection of the Liverpool support. There would have been a time, years ago, when his removal would have been met with a guilty sigh of relief. No one wants to see a player injured, but few wanted to see Lucas Leiva in the starting 11, either.

History tells that the first few outings in a Liverpool shirt can dictate the subsequent years of an Anfield career - a few notable exceptions, such as record goalscorer Ian Rush, apart. Maybe it is because supporters attach themselves so vigorously to something so exciting immediately; Raheem Sterling grew in stature against Manchester City, responding to the increasing levels of optimism from the crowd when he received the ball.

Robbie Fowler, one of the club's most revered strikers, scored a poacher's effort against Fulham on his first appearance and then scored five in the return leg at home; Steve McManaman opened his bag of tricks during his substitute role against Sheffield United and spent the remainder of the season showing why Kenny Dalglish was so keen to sign him as an 18-year-old. Steven Gerrard looked assured against Celta Vigo; Xabi Alonso looked a class above in Liverpool's defeat at the Reebok Stadium; Pepe Reina, predictably, kept four clean sheets in his first four league games.

And so it proved again at Goodison Park on a sun-tinged, blustery autumn afternoon in 2007, when Dirk Kuyt bounded towards the away end with both the energy and appearance of an exhilarated Labrador after his last minute penalty sealed a famous 2-1 victory. Liverpool supporters had their protagonist, journalists had their story and the football world had its eyes on one man: Dirk Kuyt, two goal hero of the Merseyside derby. As he lapped up the adoration, a gangly, awkward-looking 20-year-old with hair like a 1980s failed rock star ambled back to the Liverpool half. He'd have been forgiven for casting a bitter, rueful glance towards the tunnel where Phil Neville walked down moments earlier – but jealousy and selfishness are two things Lucas Leiva doesn't possess.

It was the youngster, making just his third appearance for the club, who burst into the box in a manner promised by Rafael Benitez when he signed him from Brazilian club Gremio that summer. The run was timed to perfection, the shot was hard and accurate; Lucas Leiva: a fingertip away from instantaneous hero status. But Phil Neville's handball denied him and the endeavour and ability of Lucas had gone unnoticed and unappreciated. Even after his last-minute contribution, people questioned his presence on the pitch after replacing Steven Gerrard with 20 minutes remaining.

His struggles with acceptance from Liverpool supporters are well-documented. A lesser player would have crumbled. Many players have. But Liverpool have something special in Lucas. Aside from his masterful control of the midfield is a mentality as strong as anyone's. Mentality. One word, four syllables, said with such meaning by the new Liverpool manager. It's as important as the ability to pass and press. Though Rodgers will miss that mentality on the pitch, he will know it's that mentality will see him return and raring to go in three months' time.

Unlike the aftermath to his Chelsea injury, the club will be feeling disappointment rather than unbridled, hysterical distress over Lucas' injury. The projected length of absence helps, but so too the replacements. No longer is Jay Spearing the only option. Instead Joe Allen and Nuri Sahin look primed to start against Arsenal and beyond. Allen has been impressive so far, while Sahin is a German league title winner and former Bundesliga player of the year. Jay Spearing, meanwhile, looks to be Championship-bound. It is testament to the work Rodgers has done in the transfer window that Lucas' injury, while a blow, will not be felt at full force; it is not a fatal one to their aspirations this season.

With just over a day remaining of the transfer window, expect Rodgers to be busy. The aforementioned Spearing is expected to leave, as is Charlie Adam. Though Allen cost £15million and Sahin is merely on a year-long loan, to see those four players in the revolving door at Anfield will please most, especially with Rodgers' style of play in mind. When Lucas was injured in December, there was a clamour for Liverpool to find a replacement for him in the January transfer window; someone who could ably do Lucas' role, as well as play alongside the Brazilian. Kenny Dalglish refused to look at the market. Rodgers appears far more pragmatic with transfers; Allen and Sahin are both versatile players who can fulfil several roles. Spearing and Adam, unfortunately for the duo, are not.

That's not to say Rodgers will not want Lucas back as soon as possible, regardless of Allen and Sahin, not to mention both Shelvey and Henderson who can also deputise there. With the midfielder looking slightly off the pace against West Bromwich Albion on the opening day, he clearly needed games to develop his match fitness. This injury is a setback to that. But he will be afforded time by Rodgers to recover fully. More pertinently, he will be afforded time by the supporters, too. That's something that would not have happened five years ago. Asymmetry can be a beautiful thing, sometimes.

Link: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/63?cc=5739

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
Re: Lucas injury is a blow, but not a fatal one
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »
Good read.

If he knew the moment it happened it asn't a dead leg why did he try to play through it though? thought it happened in the warmup?
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »
I meant the second tweak of it when it happened on the pitch, sorry. Once it reoccurred five minutes in, he knew it wasn't just a knock.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:01:42 pm »
When it happened I panicked, knew how important the lad is but after seeing Allens display last week our midfield's football brain is not entirely resting on Lucas's shoulders. It'll be great to see him back in a red shirt though. As always great OP.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline BigRed100

• Main Stander
  • Fowler09
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 05:15:44 pm »
When it happened I panicked, knew how important the lad is but after seeing Allens display last week our midfield's football brain is not entirely resting on Lucas's shoulders. It'll be great to see him back in a red shirt though. As always great OP.
And don't forget Shelvey, I thought he was immense when he came on at the weekend, really impressive performance. No slight on Lucas here but we may not miss him as much as we did last year.
Sex Panther... 60% of the time, it works EVERY time!

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »
I'm glad it's not fatal, he seems like a nice lad, has a young kid as well. ;)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

royhendo

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:35 am »
Again, superb.

Offline lfc_maniac_tsr

• Main Stander
  • Waiting for Shankly to take a rebirth!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 12:26:57 pm »
Very good read that. Really good one.
Here is a list of managers who have won less than 3 European Cups:
Alex Ferguson, Mourinho,Wenger, Guardiola, Carlo Ancelotti.Marcelo Lippi,Jupp Heynckes,Hiddink,Cruyff, Van Gaal, Arrigo Saachi,Frank Rijkaard,Del Bosque, Rinus Michels,Happel, Helenio Herrera,etc
Here is a list of managers who have won the European Cup 3 times:
BOB Paisley

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2012, 03:42:36 pm »
top post lad. enjoyed that

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2012, 08:10:01 pm »
nice article, if a little florid at times...

genuine question, is there anything underlying the statement:

Kenny Dalglish refused to look at the market.

or is it just a case of he didn't buy anyone = he didn't want to buy anyone?  the two things are not the same, as the last 24 hours demonstrate.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2012, 08:44:47 pm »
Well written
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline TheCharlatan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2012, 08:46:43 pm »
Good job, very nice read. Lucas out will be a blow but some good may come of it. Hopefully we'll see Henderson in the middle of the park rather than on the right of a front three.

Offline Pendzo

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2012, 09:31:49 pm »
Another great piece.

Thank you  :)

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2012, 09:35:36 pm »
Good read. With Allen and Sahin there to play in his absence you know that this time we have great cover. Also when he returns then he'll come back to a team that will have a centre midfield of great talent and there will be less pressure on him to do it all.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2012, 09:47:20 pm »
When Gerrard & Lucas were injured last season we had Charlie Adam and Jay Spearing now we've got Allen and Sahin.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #15 on: September 1, 2012, 11:39:27 pm »
First of all: thanks for another good read.

But I disagree with you. I think Lucas' injury was a fatal blow last season and I fear it will be again. Allen and Sahin are, without a doubt, better players than Spearing or Adam. Yet neither of them is a Lucas-esque kind of player. Lucas is a Volante supreme, winning balls and dictating play with magnificent passing ability. And whilst Allen is capable of dictating play with his passing and Sahin is a very versatile midfield player, neither of them is going to win many balls like Lucas. He isn't irreplacable, but in the current Liverpool squad there is no proper replacement for him and he, in fact, is the most important player we have. I would gladly accept a similair spell on the sidelines for any of Gerrard, Reina or Suarez if we could have Lucas back.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #16 on: September 1, 2012, 11:54:42 pm »
First of all: thanks for another good read.

But I disagree with you. I think Lucas' injury was a fatal blow last season and I fear it will be again. Allen and Sahin are, without a doubt, better players than Spearing or Adam. Yet neither of them is a Lucas-esque kind of player. Lucas is a Volante supreme, winning balls and dictating play with magnificent passing ability. And whilst Allen is capable of dictating play with his passing and Sahin is a very versatile midfield player, neither of them is going to win many balls like Lucas. He isn't irreplacable, but in the current Liverpool squad there is no proper replacement for him and he, in fact, is the most important player we have. I would gladly accept a similair spell on the sidelines for any of Gerrard, Reina or Suarez if we could have Lucas back.
What a strange post.
Firstly it wasnt a fatal blow last year 3 Wembley appearances prove his injury was not fatal.
Secondly hes not the most important player we have.
Finally I wouldnt wish a spell on the sidelines for any player.

A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #17 on: September 2, 2012, 08:50:35 am »
What a strange post.
Firstly it wasnt a fatal blow last year 3 Wembley appearances prove his injury was not fatal.

Lucas' injury left a team pushing for 4th place. It wrecked all consistency and changed us into a team of 'big game players'. The league record speaks for itself..

Before Lucas' injury: P14, W6, D6, L2
After Lucas' injury:    P24, W8, D4, L8
'
I think that does suggest he is the most important player we have. Not even just because what he does on the pitch, but because we don't have a proper replacement for him.

And no, I don't wish any player(with the exception of a certain Chelsea centre-back) an injury, but Lucas Leiva really is the last person I wanted to see stretchered off.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: September 2, 2012, 09:07:47 am »
What a strange post.

Holding CM is a role every team needs. This was doubly so with Dalglish's choice of players. Lucas was the only competent holding CM in the squad. What conclusion do we draw? And if that doesn't convince you, check out the league form. With Lucas, our form was 22 points from 12 games, which if translated into 38 games would have given us 4th place. It took us another 20+ games to get the next 22 points. Note also that the with/without Lucas league form stats were skewed by the fact that the with stats include a higher proportion of games against the top teams, with the majority of them away. So if Lucas continued to play the rest of the season, you'd have expected a higher ratio of points than 22 from 12. From the evidence, it's a reasonable assumption that a fully fit Lucas would have had us competing for, and possibly even securing a CL place, even taking Chelsea's CL win into account.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #19 on: September 2, 2012, 09:46:17 am »
Sorry lad, i like your articles but this one is not amongst the better ones. It doesn't convince or even try that much to convince why the blow is not "fatal" as you put it. I'd expected to know things about Allen and Sahin and/or potential set ups in the absence of Lucas. You did mention of course, i had expected more elaborate points being made. It wasn't persuasive at all. No offence.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 2, 2012, 10:10:31 am »
It's a great shame for the lad, especially as he's just come back from a long spell out. I'd be more worried though if we lost a striker as we're already struggling at the top of the pitch.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 2, 2012, 02:29:06 pm »
It's a great shame for the lad, especially as he's just come back from a long spell out. I'd be more worried though if we lost a striker as we're already struggling at the top of the pitch.

looking at the first half i hope youve re adjusted your oppinion
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 2, 2012, 03:02:35 pm »
not buying a striker and letting yanks run our club is the fatal blow

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: September 2, 2012, 03:10:33 pm »
not buying a striker and letting yanks run our club is the fatal blow

Cheer up.  We're only 17th .

Offline "Bobber" Thanks :)

• But Hicks Is Still A Wanker
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: September 2, 2012, 03:10:59 pm »
I fucking hate the bastards who sacked Rafa and set the club back 10 years +

Offline mat106

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 2, 2012, 03:12:10 pm »
Have you been watching today's game?

Offline No Way José

• Kopite
  • Hard as fuck - Not me, Wiggo
« Reply #26 on: September 2, 2012, 03:13:49 pm »
Massive Lucas sized hole in the middle. Gerrard not looking as though he can cut it as part of a 3 in this system.
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. Except Polio

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 2, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »
Have you been watching today's game?

Big ask for Allen to cope with Diaby. Feel like we should have put Shelvey in the middle just to give ourselves a bit of a physical presence there.

With Lucas, he's a world-class player. It's difficult to replace world-class players. Allen should do the job good enough against most sides.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #28 on: September 2, 2012, 03:28:57 pm »
I think it is a fatal blow.

Offline PowderKeg

• Main Stander
« Reply #29 on: September 2, 2012, 03:29:09 pm »
Essay writing is fine and the title may ring true, but the team has a massive hole where its gut used to be. It's going to take some very determined players to fill it up.

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #30 on: September 2, 2012, 03:29:32 pm »
Allen is doing an excellent job filling in for Lucas

Offline PowderKeg

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: September 2, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »
Allen is doing an excellent job filling in for Lucas

Except he really isn't filling in for Lucas.

Offline gandalf50

• Kopite
  • Named "Most Naive poster on Rawk" by L666kop
« Reply #32 on: September 2, 2012, 03:31:15 pm »
It looks like Lucas may be as irreplaceable as he was last season. Maybe even more so given the freedom given to the full backs.
There really isn't.  I think a lot of us, even our own have started doubting it. It's time to rise up. And take what is rightfully ours. It's a big mountain, but what is the point in achieving something, which everyone can?

Fate has given us a mountain too big. We have to rise. We have to believe.

fowler9_god

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #33 on: September 2, 2012, 03:32:17 pm »
They wouldn't have scored their 1st if Lucas was in there, but yeah, not a fatal blow.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #34 on: September 2, 2012, 03:32:53 pm »
Pretty fucking fatal today. Its all well and good standing in Lucas' 'zone' when we're defending, but when you wander out of it and get counterattacked so easily, it leaves me with a few question marks

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 2, 2012, 03:33:31 pm »
Lucas is the least of our worries when we cant score a friggen goal !!!

Joe Allen was excellent today best player with Sterling by a country mile!!
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #36 on: September 2, 2012, 10:02:11 pm »
Badly missed today. A fit Lucas would have had the otherwise average Diaby in his arse pocket.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #37 on: September 2, 2012, 10:07:27 pm »
Joe Allen needs a Lucas, he missed that support around him as much as we missed Lucas in general

Telling to see his body language today when he waved his arms in the air with a 'I can't do it all myself' gesture after yet again finding himself on his own with no outlet/support.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 2, 2012, 10:33:44 pm »
We miss Lucas big time. He is just pure class when fully fit. His passing is outstanding as well as his game reading, especially in defense.

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #39 on: September 2, 2012, 10:36:41 pm »
Pretty sure the thread title needs changing

Lucas being out means everyone in the midfield plays deeper than their ideal position and we still have no other player at the club whose preferred position is DM