Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL QF 1st Leg Liverpool v Man City [4 April 2018, K.O 19:45 GMT]  (Read 100636 times)

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
Strongest team against City.

Make 10 changes against Everton. Top 4 quite secure.

Then go again with strongest rested team at Etihad.
Prioritize. Show Everton no respect.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

That will depend on the outcome of the first leg.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
That will depend on the outcome of the first leg.
Unless City convincingly beat us in the 1st leg then I doubt we'll go full strength at Goodison.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Guardiola has been bigging up our front 3.

He also had a quote about how dangerous VVD is on set pieces.

VVD has been really unlucky the last few games at not getting a goal from corners,hopefully he can get one against city.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Guardiola has been bigging up our front 3.

He also had a quote about how dangerous VVD is on set pieces.

VVD has been really unlucky the last few games at not getting a goal from corners,hopefully he can get one against city.

Yeah hoping all 4 scores each to win it 4-0 and Pep says in post match interview  "I told you so" :D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Had a look at a few Man City forums to see how they were feeling. Lasted about two minutes. Bunch or bitter, arrogant knobheads who feel sort of self entitlement to success nowadays. They basically think they just have to turn up.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....

Well err yes, hardly going to go into it half arsed are we.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
I wonder if i can get a bet somewhere on Sterling actually literally pissing or shitting himself .  C'mon you Locals now is the time you've had 9 years to rest your vocal cords. IMO the teams are dead even and its the fans are gonna win it. Little unfair really  ;D but still,time to get stuck in. no-ones going to work on Thursday just deal with getting fired or whatever it takes. your boss aint going in either :) 
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
I actually think Sterling will play well for once, law of averages. If Guardiola does decide to start him.

I think Aguero will start as well.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
Had a look at a few Man City forums to see how they were feeling. Lasted about two minutes. Bunch or bitter, arrogant knobheads who feel sort of self entitlement to success nowadays. They basically think they just have to turn up.

Liverpool is built on the bond between team and supporters. It is the cornerstone of success here and every manager who presided over a period of success has touched on it. Klopp has too. So Liverpool fans know nothing is a given. They need to turn up and give it their all - collectively. That is what we believe going into this game - that if the fans give it their all and the players do too, we have a chance.

City don't have that culture. Being given stuff is the norm for them. Hard work wasn't needed to build their squad. To sort out debts. To build up the commercial side of the club. It was just given to them. Rules are circumvented where needs be. So how they see the process to success differs from ours.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
will there be a fans meetup of the coach again. would be great to put the fear of god up city before the game.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
Having the first leg at home is an absolute shitter. In some ways City getting a 1-0 lead or even ahead on away goals going into the 2nd leg would be an alright result for us. I would rather them being complacent before the 2nd leg and not knowing if to stick or twist than being up for it.

Fact is they are very good side so no matter what we will need to be on top of our game over two legs. Looking forward to it as we have always been good at being the underdog.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
I think we'll see one team scoring 4 in the first leg and I think it will be us to totally stun City, their supporters and the press.
#JFT97

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
Don't totally agree about the away leg Fruity mate. The way we play, pressing in packs and breaking quickly means that we can nick a goal at any time during the game, home or away. If we can keep it tight , even 0-0, will  be a great result.
On another theme. Some of the stuff the City supporters are writing isn't pleasant. Best staying well away. FFS. Passion yes, but out and out hatred. No thanks.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
I think we'll see one team scoring 4 in the first leg and I think it will be us to totally stun City, their supporters and the press.

Let's make sure they don't get 3 this time then.

Please
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Let's make sure they don't get 3 this time then.

Please

No problem, Mane will exorcise his demons in the return leg anyway.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
No problem, Mane will exorcise his demons in the return leg anyway.
I think that will be a big thing in Klopps mind...

Also the reason why I reckon Solanke plays against Everton.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
I think that will be a big thing in Klopps mind...

Also the reason why I reckon Solanke plays against Everton.

Is his big toe better then? ;)

• Legacy Fan
We had to dig in to win on Saturday, they had a glorified training session against Everton.

Perversely I think the ease of that game may lead to some complacency.

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
5-4 to us in the first leg.
4-4 draw in the second leg.
Simple as that.  8)
Thank me later.  :wave

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We had to dig in to win on Saturday, they had a glorified training session against Everton.

Perversely I think the ease of that game may lead to some complacency.

At least it's reversed next weekend! ;D

(I don't expect much from United, but they won't want to lose their derby).

• Legacy Fan
At least it's reversed next weekend! ;D

(I don't expect much from United, but they won't want to lose their derby).

We could do with Utd nicking a point as we need City to be still in the hunt when they play Spurs.

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
As we have seen with teams which are expensively assembled and paid obscene amounts when you sit off them and let them play they murder you but get in their faces and press them and they fall apart /down tools. Its like anything in this life if you work hard for something you can achieve it. We have noting to fear we are the only team to have beaten them in the league and no matter what they say that will be in their heads so pressure from the start with 50,000 odd whistling every time they get the ball ,as we seen at Anfield for that 10 odd minutes they can crumble spectacularly .We were well in the game at the Eithihad until Sadio got sent off so im sure Klopp will have that drummed into them.If the crowd are on their back for the 95 mins then they will make mistakes,Its fucking great being back at the business end of the Champions league.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
It's one of sport's great truisms that styles make fights which, at the elite level, is why it's so hard to predict what is coming next.

Muhammad Ali won twice and lost once against Ken Norton in three fights which went the distance across 39 rounds, with Norton breaking Ali's jaw in the opener.

The wars against Joe Frazier took even more out of Ali and the trilogy only came to a conclusion when Frazier's trainer wouldn't allow him to go in for what would have been the 42nd round between the pair

In contrast, it took George Foreman just five minutes to knock Norton down three times before the beating was stopped in the second round.

Frazier was handed an even more comprehensive hiding as Foreman made him look like a yo-yo with six knockdowns inside four and a half minutes.

And yet, in his most famous victory, Ali found a way to dispatch Foreman that he couldn't manage against either Norton or Frazier with an eighth-round knockout.

For most of the season, Manchester City have resembled Foreman as they approached their opponents with a kind of beautiful brutality which has regularly left their vanquished foes facing a barrage of criticism for not even throwing a punch.

In Zaire, Ali allowed Foreman become exhausted by absorbing his punches while lying back on the ropes - as George Plimpton put it, "like a man leaning out his window trying to see if there was something on his roof".

While it might be stretching the analogy to think that City could punch themselves out, there is always a danger with Pep Guardiola teams that their greatest strengths can be used against them.

At Barcelona, this was rarely the case simply because they were the best team in the world both with and without the ball.

In training, players were constantly put under the sort of intense pressure in possession which often made competitive matches easier than training games.

If teams pressed them with intensity, they knew they had faced worse on a daily basis. If they didn't, usually, Barcelona found a way to deliver a death by a thousand cuts.

In the rarefied air of the Champions League knockout stages with Bayern Munich, however, it was different.

In 2014, Bayern had better possession but Real Madrid seized their chance for a 1-0 first leg win at home, and ruthlessly exploited their opportunities in the second leg to go through 5-0 on aggregate.

The following season, Guardiola doubled-down on his attacking philosophy leaving his defence 3 v 3 against Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar for an engrossing game but one in which the team landing the first punch would win. It took Barcelona until the 77th minute to strike, and they won 3-0.

In his final season in Munich, Guardiola could justifiably claim to have been unlucky against Atletico Madrid in being eliminated on away goals but they at least delivered greater control rather than drowning in the chaos of the previous two defeats.

A similar tactical approach against Liverpool, particularly in the away leg on Wednesday, should allow for City's superior ability on the ball to see them through across two games but the danger remains of them playing into Liverpool's hands by trusting in their ability a little too much.

Last season against Monaco, City managed the remarkable feat of scoring six times in two games and it still not being enough, and given that the two league games between City and Liverpool this season have produced 12 goals, Liverpool will be hoping for a similar shoot-out.

In September, Sadio Mane's early red card changed the complexion of the game which City won 5-0 but it's the return match at Anfield that Jurgen Klopp will use as the template.

City produced several moments of superb football and could easily have won but the 10 minute period after half-time in which Roberto Firmino, Mané and Mo Salah scored to put Liverpool 4-1 up should be held up as exactly the type of scenario City need to avoid.

Obviously, not conceding goals is desirable but it was City's lack of composure which was most startling as their technique and passing ability deserted them amid the type of roller-coaster atmosphere which Liverpool are capable of creating and which City have rarely faced this season.

City are 18 points clear of Liverpool and have bludgeoned most of the Nortons and Fraziers of the Premier League.

However, like Foreman in the Rumble in the Jungle, they couldn't find an answer at Anfield when what had previously been so successful suddenly wasn't working.

As ever under Guardiola, there was never a sense that his team might just clip the ball over the top to give the defence a breather and it's this confidence in their own ability in building from the back which Liverpool will try to exploit on Wednesday.

Kevin De Bruyne or David Silva are good enough to punish teams who over-commit but Kyle Walker, Fabien Delph, John Stones, Vincent Kompany, Aymeric Laporte or Nicolas Otamendi have to get the ball to them in the first place.

In possession, none of them have the same level of comfort as the players Guardiola had at either Barcelona or Bayern which is what makes asking them to play in the same way a risky strategy especially against elite teams.

In eight league meetings between the two managers, Klopp has managed three wins and a draw despite, on paper at least, having inferior players but ones who have the intensity to test a opponent's technique and the speed to punish them if it isn't up to scratch.

Klopp is fully aware that his team can't win on points by out-passing City over 180 minutes so instead they will come out swinging on Wednesday night.

For City and Guardiola, the biggest danger is themselves and falling into a rope-a-dope trap.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/comment-guardiola-and-city-need-to-be-wary-of-a-liverpool-ropeadope-36765178.html

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
Felix Brych was shocking in our game at Seville.

He gave everything to Seville in the second half.

I'll take a homer all day long
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Fat man dancing
bloody spellcheck
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Fat man dancing
Yeah hoping all 4 scores each to win it 4-0 and Pep says in post match interview  "I told you so" :D
And starts going nuts talking about 'heritage'
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
Can't help myself, COME ON YOU REDS!

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan

I work in manchester and thats deffo not the case. they didn't want to draw us in the first place ( was watching the draw with a group of them and their faces said everything when they realised it would be us ).

Also, is Aguero injured?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I work in manchester and thats deffo not the case. they didn't want to draw us in the first place ( was watching the draw with a group of them and their faces said everything when they realised it would be us ).

Also, is Aguero injured?

He might be fit for Wednesday but will likely start on the bench if available.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

We are not going to make 10 changes against Everton no matter what the score is on Wednesday. Five or six at the absolute max.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1

We are not going to make 10 changes against Everton no matter what the score is on Wednesday. Five or six at the absolute max.
We might be out of the tie by the Everton game, so that then takes on more importance...

Now, hoping that doesn’t happen of course, I think the Everton tie is much less importance than usual and you make plenty of changes... I can really see Solanke getting a chance again..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
Do the stats back up the idea that being home in the 2nd leg is a big advantage ?  It always seems to be considered as one, but I don't buy it.
The idea that "you know what you have to do at home" seems to be the line, f**k that shit.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
We might be out of the tie by the Everton game, so that then takes on more importance...

Now, hoping that doesn’t happen of course, I think the Everton tie is much less importance than usual and you make plenty of changes... I can really see Solanke getting a chance again..
Even if we'd lose 5-0, I'm sure Klopp would still field the strongest possible team in the second leg.

Christ, this reminded me of the team Rodgers fielded against Real away...
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Do the stats back up the idea that being home in the 2nd leg is a big advantage ?  It always seems to be considered as one, but I don't buy it.
The idea that "you know what you have to do at home" seems to be the line, f**k that shit.

I don't think it gives teams that much of an advantage, but rather many of our most memorable Anfield European nights have been second legs.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
I don't think it gives teams that much of an advantage, but rather many of our most memorable Anfield European nights have been second legs.

That's true.  If we get a win though, it piles pressure on Man City. You can look at it both ways really can't you. Make it an advantage being at home first I say, I dont think for one second Klopp will waste any time considering it a disadvantage

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
Also away goals count in extra time in the Champions League still which puts the home team at a disadvantage.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
Also away goals count in extra time in the Champions League still which puts the home team at a disadvantage.

Forgot all about about that one.

Offline Super MAC

• ....and a nice pair of trousers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
All governments are lying cocksuckers - Bill Hicks