Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2493531 times)

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I get the impression some of or squad players may be happy just picking up a decent wage.

Keita,Ox & Shaq should all be looking to move on for their own careers.
They are a waste on wages for us.

All had injury problems but need to be moved on.

You already mentioned the answer in the same post. How do you move players on if they don’t want to leave? Out of all the players in our squad who are borderline, only Keita possibly has any market. Everyone else are on possibly the best money they could get in their careers as they move into the downward trajectory.

For their own careers? Leaving us would a) guarantee they won’t win anything major ever again, and b) guarantee they won’t get the same level of pay ever again. This is the price of having a winning squad which challenges for silverware every year.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
I think you are massively understating the damage that team spirit has taken this season, we have a rebuilding of the side

New centre forward to replace Firmino
Attacking box to box midfielder who will score goals
Centre back x 2

That’s basically the spine of the team

Its virtually impossible to defend the league title for most teams esp when missing some key members of their spine. So I am not too worried about their confidence as if the likes of Lingard can walk around for years as if he is the shyte then bet you Virgil, Alisson, Salah & Co will be full of confidence.

The spine is there from Alisson, Virgil. Henderson, Thiago, Salah & Co so I dont know what you are on about. 2 x CD?? Well the team does not need a starting CD if all are fit but what they need is luck to be fit and one backup brought in. Jota will be like a new signing for us and a creative CM addition would be my one and only major addition this summer.

The fringe players can be squeezed out as there will be takers even if we have to pay some of their wages. 
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
Its virtually impossible to defend the league title for most teams esp when missing some key members of their spine. So I am not too worried about their confidence as if the likes of Lingard can walk around for years as if he is the shyte then bet you Virgil, Alisson, Salah & Co will be full of confidence.

The spine is there from Alisson, Virgil. Henderson, Thiago, Salah & Co so I dont know what you are on about. 2 x CD?? Well the team does not need a starting CD if all are fit but what they need is luck to be fit and one backup brought in. Jota will be like a new signing for us and a creative CM addition would be my one and only major addition this summer.

The fringe players can be squeezed out as there will be takers even if we have to pay some of their wages.

Gini is leaving, Milner is ageing, Henderson and Thiago are in their thirties and their legs will be heavier next season, you then have a centre forward completely shot of confidence in Firmino with 2 central defenders recovering from serious knee injuries, a full back in Robertson who basically never gets a chance to rest because we have no cover

I don’t see that as a minor tweak of squad players, whoever comes in has to be of the calibre of a Jota or Konate, what I don’t want to see is us trying to build out the squad with Minamino or Shaqiri/Origi type signings who are all good players who are cheap but not top quality

Just because we have players returning doesn’t mean they will:

A) stay fit or
B) be as good as before straight away

Oxlade is a shadow of the player prior to injury, it might be another 6 months before he’s at that level

There’s a lot of work to do, at least 4 need to come in

Centre forward
Attacking midfield
Box to box midfield
Centre back

We have no god given right to be challengers, what I’ve seen this season tells me that the standards and mentality has dropped, the dressing room isn’t right and the squad is full of passengers who the manager does not trust

A few tweaks and we will at best be top 4 challengers, serious investment is required.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
So, with the relegated sides almost all confirmed, can we see any Robbo/Gini/Shaq style moves?

Slim pickings at Sheffield United and West Brom, but maybe cases to be made for Sander Berge and Matheus Pereira? Fulham have a fair amount of talent - Ola Aina could be a decent backup RB, and Anguissa is very impressive from a stats perspective. And of course, there’s also the Big Dog.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Gini is leaving, Milner is ageing, Henderson and Thiago are in their thirties and their legs will be heavier next season, you then have a centre forward completely shot of confidence in Firmino with 2 central defenders recovering from serious knee injuries, a full back in Robertson who basically never gets a chance to rest because we have no cover

I don’t see that as a minor tweak of squad players, whoever comes in has to be of the calibre of a Jota or Konate, what I don’t want to see is us trying to build out the squad with Minamino or Shaqiri/Origi type signings who are all good players who are cheap but not top quality

A) stay fit or

Oxlade is a shadow of the player prior to injury, it might be another 6 months before he’s at that level

Centre forward
Attacking midfield
Box to box midfield
Centre back

We have no god given right to be challengers, what I’ve seen this season tells me that the standards and mentality has dropped, the dressing room isn’t right and the squad is full of passengers who the manager does not trust

A few tweaks and we will at best be top 4 challengers, serious investment is required.

First of all considering everything that has gone wrong this season we are challenging for Top 4 so how the hell with a few tweaks and a full strength squad will we be at best Top 4 challengers?? Today's pros take care of themselves so the likes of Henderson and Thiago who are 5 years younger than Milner will hardly fade that much next season if at all. As I said we need to replace Gini and add another creative force to the team plus add a couple of capable squad players. Hardly a massive team rebuild is required as we have the best keeper, central defender, full backs, Captain and striker in the league plus Thiago will know more of the league, Jota likewise with his teammates, Mane will surely be more himself etc etc. Its a one off season where so many leaders are missing from the dressing room so will use this season as a huge learning curve. We learn a lot more from our failures and Jurgen will surely take notes and try to correct what was missing this season. I again repeat we are already challenging for Top 4, eliminate 3 or 4 of those shocker home losses and that has us in 2nd place. Tweaks are required ever season to keep us fresh, add one or two starters every year or two and it avoids the need for a major rebuild.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
So, with the relegated sides almost all confirmed, can we see any Robbo/Gini/Shaq style moves?

Slim pickings at Sheffield United and West Brom, but maybe cases to be made for Sander Berge and Matheus Pereira? Fulham have a fair amount of talent - Ola Aina could be a decent backup RB, and Anguissa is very impressive from a stats perspective. And of course, there’s also the Big Dog.

Talking about players from clubs in the relegation zone, I'd actually take a look at Ludovic Blas from Nantes, if they get relegated. Incredibly versatile midfielder, who could be a perfect addition to our squad, on a very decent price ...

https://youtu.be/RxYcfGjzOig
« Last Edit: May 9, 2021, 09:32:05 pm by PeterTheRed »

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
First of all considering everything that has gone wrong this season we are challenging for Top 4 so how the hell with a few tweaks and a full strength squad will we be at best Top 4 challengers?? Today's pros take care of themselves so the likes of Henderson and Thiago who are 5 years younger than Milner will hardly fade that much next season if at all. As I said we need to replace Gini and add another creative force to the team plus add a couple of capable squad players. Hardly a massive team rebuild is required as we have the best keeper, central defender, full backs, Captain and striker in the league plus Thiago will know more of the league, Jota likewise with his teammates, Mane will surely be more himself etc etc. Its a one off season where so many leaders are missing from the dressing room so will use this season as a huge learning curve. We learn a lot more from our failures and Jurgen will surely take notes and try to correct what was missing this season. I again repeat we are already challenging for Top 4, eliminate 3 or 4 of those shocker home losses and that has us in 2nd place. Tweaks are required ever season to keep us fresh, add one or two starters every year or two and it avoids the need for a major rebuild.

Relying on ifs buts and maybes is nothing more than wishful thinking. Challenging for the top 4 is not the objective, the manager deserves the support and resources to build a team capable of winning the league, city / Chelsea have scooped up the best young talent in Europe whilst we’ve been sat on our hands and the lesson you’ve learned from this is to carry on tinkering around the edges? all the players you mentioned were acquired for huge fees, so that is what needs to happen again, spending big on the best players and then adding the best younger players we can develop

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan

I like Berge.
But we need better than the players mentioned.
All seem like squad players to me.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan

No.

There are better players at the two clubs confirmed to be coming up from the Championship I’d look at before anyone at the three clubs who are going down.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Bissouma looks an excellent player, dominated a lot of midfields in games Brighton ended up losing because they cant score. I think City will go for Rice from west ham.
Bissouma also seems the kind of player not rated by all fans and who turns out to be integral to Klopp's machine once he's trained and prepared him for the role. If Klopp and Edwards want him that's then he's the man.

Would love to see Houssem Aouar in out team though, he's so good I may have remembered how to spell his vowel-happy name :)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Relying on ifs buts and maybes is nothing more than wishful thinking. Challenging for the top 4 is not the objective, the manager deserves the support and resources to build a team capable of winning the league, city / Chelsea have scooped up the best young talent in Europe whilst we’ve been sat on our hands and the lesson you’ve learned from this is to carry on tinkering around the edges? all the players you mentioned were acquired for huge fees, so that is what needs to happen again, spending big on the best players and then adding the best younger players we can develop

Where did I say tinker at the edges as I said replace Gini and add a creative force to the team. How is that just tinkering? Every move has a risk and I dont think we have the finances to buy two central defenders who may be fit to lace Virgils boots plus replace Gini and a creative player / striker. We have to plan on Virgil back in the first 11, sort out our home form and we will be there. We cannot do a City or Chelsea who actually with all their additions may just beat their league point total from last season by 3 points approx. 250m spend by Chelsea to gain 3 or so points on last season is a bit of a shocker but their form in Cups will save egg from hitting their faces.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan

Berge is someone that klopp rates highly, so it could be down to him or Bissouma as they both have similar qualities- Berge as a left footer offers a bit more balance to the side

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
If we do sign a midfielder in the summer, it will be someone who can contribute more in the attacking third, not someone who will rot on the bench behind Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago ...

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
Berge is someone that klopp rates highly, so it could be down to him or Bissouma as they both have similar qualities- Berge as a left footer offers a bit more balance to the side

Bissouma is ten times the player that Berge is, and much, much more mobile. I also figure that our prior interest in Berge was similar to our move for Minamino, in that it would have been a low cost gamble. No chance we now pay the circa £30 million that Sheffield United would want.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
Where did I say tinker at the edges as I said replace Gini and add a creative force to the team. How is that just tinkering? Every move has a risk and I dont think we have the finances to buy two central defenders who may be fit to lace Virgils boots plus replace Gini and a creative player / striker. We have to plan on Virgil back in the first 11, sort out our home form and we will be there. We cannot do a City or Chelsea who actually with all their additions may just beat their league point total from last season by 3 points approx. 250m spend to gain 3 or so points on last season is a bit of a shocker but their form in Cups will save egg from hitting their faces.

By that logic we never would’ve signed Virgil or Alisson in the first place

FSG have secured a huge amount of funding and Uefa will allow more flexibility ref FFP for this and next season so we won’t get an better time to do it than now but to be clear I’m not suggesting a 250M splurge we just need to be really on our game this summer, there are 4-5 that need to come in and 5-6 that will leave

Relying on injured players never works, Virgil and joe will be very lucky to get back to the same level and to play a whole season-

If the mentality was still there I’d be more optimistic but the amount of points we’ve dropped this season from winning positions is disgraceful, 6 defeats in a row at home, disgraceful

We need new blood, there’s too many passengers in the dressing room

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
Bissouma is ten times the player that Berge is, and much, much more mobile. I also figure that our prior interest in Berge was similar to our move for Minamino, in that it would have been a low cost gamble. No chance we now pay the circa £30 million that Sheffield United would want.

I haven’t seen enough of either to make a judgment, Bissouma is flavour of the month right now, wouldn’t be surprised if we sign him or someone completely off the radar like how we were all shocked by the Fabinho or Jota signings

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
By that logic we never would’ve signed Virgil or Alisson in the first place

FSG have secured a huge amount of funding and Uefa will allow more flexibility ref FFP for this and next season so we won’t get an better time to do it than now but to be clear I’m not suggesting a 250M splurge we just need to be really on our game this summer, there are 4-5 that need to come in and 5-6 that will leave

Relying on injured players never works, Virgil and joe will be very lucky to get back to the same level and to play a whole season-

If the mentality was still there I’d be more optimistic but the amount of points we’ve dropped this season from winning positions is disgraceful, 6 defeats in a row at home, disgraceful

We need new blood, there’s too many passengers in the dressing room

What logic are you on about? Do you think replacing Gini and adding a creative player is going to cheap?? We could be talking about 100m plus spend there which would be a plus in the current climate and I would be delighted if we spent that much. You were going on about Chelsea and I just showed you they spent 250m on a 3 / 6 point gain and still way off the pace if they want to win a title. Players get injured every year and most return to previous fitness so why is that wishful thinking?

Thank god Jurgen is a little calmer than yourself as he will not be tipping the boat with panic. Buy two starters which will probably cost us 50m plus each, keep doing what he has done all along which has built the best team we have had in 30 plus years and sure dont need chucking at the first sign of trouble.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
Talking about this summer's transfer market, we have to take into account that it won't be a normal market ...

1. A lot of clubs are struggling financially due to the pandemic, so they will be forced to sell on lower prices than usual ...

2. The number of very good and good players out of contract is higher than usual ...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/endendevertraege

3. The number of very good and good players with only 12 months left on their contracts is much higher than usual ...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/transfers/endendevertraege/statistik?plus=0&jahr=2022&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&land_id=0&yt0=Show

When you take this into account, and the fact that loan deals are becoming more and more a practice, it will be a very interesting summer market ...

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group

The irony is twofold. First, he was given the resources and support to build a team capable of winning the league. The team he built won the league.

Second, as before, the same team as exists today won the league so how are they not a team capable of winning the league?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
Hear the shouts on a creative midfielder. Might be interesting if we go for a Graelish who can play both mid and front 3.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

A) stay fit or

Centre forward
Attacking midfield
Box to box midfield
Centre back

I really don't think this idea of four new players is over the top, or a hasty ridiculous idea after this weird season. The evidence is here that neither Ox or Keita has ended up becoming the type of players we'd wanted on a consistent basis is all there for us. Both of them have had great performances, but often they have been mixed with either lesser good performances, or months spent on the sides while injured.

So a more attacking midfielder to replace them would be wise, but I am not sure Klopp is ready to offload either or both of them. So we might not see this type of player coming in.

And then we have Gini potentially leaving, which leaves a void. Especially considering the number of matches he plays, and the fact that I think Milner has (finally) shows some signs of ageing.

So then two new midfielders would for me be a smart decision if the budget permits. And then we have the clear need for at least one centre back and one forward. In a dream scenario, I wouldn't mind getting a striker + a wide forward in. Let's say Malen + Vlahović. And then potentially two new centre backs in depending on who leaves and the status of VVD and Gomez.

We might see only three players coming in this summer, but six new players wouldn't be a crazy concept considering the ageing squad, the attacking failings and the injured players we've got. Talking from a squad need perspective, and obviously not from a budget perspective. And I know that Klopp usually likes to ease in the players over time and seldom do these massive overhauls (someone can correct me from his Dortmund time), so we won't see six new players but that doesn't take away that it makes sense in some way.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:35:13 am by plura »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
4 or more players is not unrealistic and thats because we are hardly using any of our squad options. I know a number are injured right now but three of them are centrebacks where you hardly see any rotation or subs.

All but one attacking change, no full backs. The only area where we would see changes if people were fit is midfield as Klopp trusts Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Thiago, Henderson, Jones and Milner. But then there are another two senior midfielders on £100k a week not trusted.

Its clearly very possible for the club to take vast action this summer. Its not just a case of signing players but within a short space of time we have a lot of resources not being used.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:30:52 am by a treeless whopper »

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
Bissouma doesn’t help with our lack of goals from midfield, Jones is the only player who looks like he could score 5 from midfield, we need someone who can score a lot more goals next season from the middle of the park so a creative goal scorer is a must

Fabinho / Henderson / Thiago / Keita will not get 10 between them next season

Oxlade on previous form was capable but he’s not been at that level for a while, Shaqiri will probably move on

So I think we need Bissouma + a goal scoring midfielder

The goals from midfield will surely increase if we dominate the midfield. While Jones scores more than our midfielders, I'm sure you can see that we never really control the midfield when he's playing. The pressing / midfield control has diminished this season for a number of reasons I won't go into. I think signing at least one athletic midfielder is a must and I'm sure if we only sign one we'll be looking to sign another one next season. The system isn't broken, the players are and most of them can be "fixed".

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp doesn't rate the majority of his squad, if he rated them in a season like this, of ALL seasons, they'd be getting games. It's all very well saying you don't tweak a machine that's working but when it's broken and you still don't tweak it, you must think the spare parts are even more broken than the ones you've fitted. So given that I reckon 4 new players (who are all bought to be first 11 or at least banging on the door, no more Minamino types, we can't afford to gamble anymore) and a pretty major clear out (Origi, Shaq, Minamino, Ox, Keita - which makes me sad, Gini, Wilson, Grujic, Davies, Karius, Adrian) is the way to go.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:26:23 am by Knight »

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
The irony is twofold. First, he was given the resources and support to build a team capable of winning the league. The team he built won the league.

Second, as before, the same team as exists today won the league so how are they not a team capable of winning the league?

The same team is two years older and has accrued serious injuries-

is Gini  going to be here?

Will Milner and Henderson have the same running power and ability two years on?

Did Oxlade get back to his best form immediately after his injury return?

Are you still expect Naby to turn into a regular world class performer who plays week in and week out without injury?

Will Matip stay fit?

Do you think shaqiri, Origi and Minamino are good enough to step up should we get a major injury to Salah?

Do you think 5/6 goals from our entire midfield for a whole season is adequate? How are the same players going to score 20-30 between them next season?

Does Firmino look like a striker who will get 10-15 goals + 10-15 assists next season?

what we did before does not mean we will be able to do it again with the same players, it is sheer hubris and arrogance to think that way, we are 6th because we’ve been total and utter shit this season and we are lucky that Spurs and Arsenal have been worse or we could’ve been much lower.

If Klopp wants a small squad then the quality of those players must be super high, we need to have proper competition for places and not a situation where we have to play the same team regardless of form because the rotation options are not a stylist fit or good enough to displace a first choice player for more than a game or two.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
If Klopp wants a small squad then the quality of those players must be super high, we need to have proper competition for places and not a situation where we have to play the same team regardless of form because the rotation options are not a stylist fit or good enough to displace a first choice player for more than a game or two.

Asam is quite a long way towards the negative end of the spectrum but amidst what is occasionally overly negative he does make some legitimate points. And this is one of them. A lack of high quality depth which fits stylistically has been an issue in attack for years and years and whilst the durability of the attack means we got away with it we almost certainly sorted it one year too late and burnt the front 3 out to some extent. It was again an issue at CB and we didn't sort it but we didn't get away with it and were forced to play cb's who don't fit stylistically with us. It's not just that Philips isn't a champions league centre back, it's that he's slow, and you can't be slow at cb in a Klopp system.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
4 or more players is not unrealistic and thats because we are hardly using any of our squad options. I know a number are injured right now but three of them are centrebacks where you hardly see any rotation or subs.

All but one attacking change, no full backs. The only area where we would see changes if people were fit is midfield as Klopp trusts Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Thiago, Henderson, Jones and Milner. But then there are another two senior midfielders on £100k a week not trusted.

Its clearly very possible for the club to take vast action this summer. Its not just a case of signing players but within a short space of time we have a lot of resources not being used.

Klopp doesn’t trust the options he has available to him, the drop down in quality is too high or he has to change how he sets his team up

how good do we want the incoming players to be? I don’t want us to fill the bench with Minamino level

Does anyone think we shouldn’t have signed Jota because he’s too good to sit on the bench? that is how a mid table team thinks.

We simply build the best team and squad we can, we reduce the unwanted bloat and we give the next season a real go rather than putting ourselves through mental gymnastics around why we can’t afford to spend majorly- we can’t afford not to

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
The goals from midfield will surely increase if we dominate the midfield. While Jones scores more than our midfielders, I'm sure you can see that we never really control the midfield when he's playing. The pressing / midfield control has diminished this season for a number of reasons I won't go into. I think signing at least one athletic midfielder is a must and I'm sure if we only sign one we'll be looking to sign another one next season. The system isn't broken, the players are and most of them can be "fixed".

We aren’t getting into the positions to score from midfield as often as we need to be (Gini is the one likeliest to get on the end of something)

I would argue that We’ve had plenty of control but the structure of our side doesn’t seem to give the midfield the flexibility to get into the box and when they have done the finishing isn’t there, we don’t have a clinical finisher in midfield and if we’re being honest hardly any in the entire squad-

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
We aren’t getting into the positions to score from midfield as often as we need to be (Gini is the one likeliest to get on the end of something)

I would argue that We’ve had plenty of control but the structure of our side doesn’t seem to give the midfield the flexibility to get into the box and when they have done the finishing isn’t there, we don’t have a clinical finisher in midfield and if we’re being honest hardly any in the entire squad-

This season has been an accumulation of set backs which are bound to drag anybody down. The amount of VAR decisions against us can't be discounted too. I mean there was a period of months were we had at least one VAR decision against us, coupled with the injuries and countless other setbacks, any human being would be close to folding his cards and our players are no different. The difference is we could choose to turn off the TV but they're stuck playing it out. Maybe you're right and maybe we do another creative force next to Thiago, but I actually think we need the opposite. Let's not forget, Hendo/Milner for example can't be classified as a "creative" midfielders but that doesn't stop them from creating chances for our forwards. The creative midfielder that everyone seems to be begging for is already at our club and that is Thiago. I would be very surprised if we sign another one in his mould.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
Bamford’s progress has not gone unnoticed, with several clubs, including Liverpool, believed to admire the forward. Talking before last month’s draw at Leeds, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said: “What a player, Bamford! I can remember people saying, ‘Leeds need a proper goalscorer, Bamford is not good enough’, stuff like this. I’m so happy that he could prove them all wrong.

“He’s an exceptional player. The work rate is outstanding and he still plays the football he plays and scores goals. That’s rare. They have a lot of interesting players but Bamford I’m really happy for. I don’t know him but it’s a nice career, a little bit later than others but still very impressive.”

Orstein mentions in his column we admire Bamford.
We wont be signing him i dont think.

But look at what Klopp mentions first about him his work rate.

Think we will be going for a striker in the summer similar to Firmino rather than an alternative.
Similar in midfield we will go for a midfielder capable of pressing.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
The same team is two years older and has accrued serious injuries-

is Gini  going to be here?

Will Milner and Henderson have the same running power and ability two years on?

Did Oxlade get back to his best form immediately after his injury return?

Are you still expect Naby to turn into a regular world class performer who plays week in and week out without injury?

Will Matip stay fit?

Do you think shaqiri, Origi and Minamino are good enough to step up should we get a major injury to Salah?

Do you think 5/6 goals from our entire midfield for a whole season is adequate? How are the same players going to score 20-30 between them next season?

Does Firmino look like a striker who will get 10-15 goals + 10-15 assists next season?

what we did before does not mean we will be able to do it again with the same players, it is sheer hubris and arrogance to think that way, we are 6th because we’ve been total and utter shit this season and we are lucky that Spurs and Arsenal have been worse or we could’ve been much lower.

So you keep going on about the same points and want us to get off our asses as City/Chelsea spend spend spend and buy young and old around us as we fall apart it seems according to you. Both City & Chelsea have spent crazy money and have less points (or gained about three points in Chelsea's case) from last season. ROI when it comes to league performances is way below what you expect when you spend 250m but they have done well in the Cups which shows their squad strength is healthy.

Midfield issues - We will surely add a Gini replacement to the mix, maybe a creative player as well who can play the 10 role / wide areas depending on his ability. Jones will surely kick on after a god personal year for himself. Thiago will also have PL experience to build on, Fab will be back in midfield and Henderson leading the charge. If we have learned anything Klopp rarely lets issues lie so he will try & sort things out.

Basically why are you so flustered when Jurgen & the team has delivered more often than not. No one is perfect and this season has left us frustrated but panicking at the first sight of trouble, gutting the team before we need to could lead us down the same path as what happened under Souness. Jurgen needs to add one or two starters to the first 11, 2 or 3 quality players to the squad (that could be 5 in total) and see where that takes us. I sure dont expect us spending 200m plus on a starting striker (Jota will be that option) , two starting central defenders (you think Gomez & Virgil will be well off the pace after their injuries), two midfielders and maybe even more as again writing off Henderson it seems.

Relax, let the boss do what he sees fit as three European finals, a league title, runners up etc shows he knows what he is doing and after the fiasco the past month I can see FSG backing him to the hilt as they know they will need to face the fans next season and they want to do that with an olive branch (backing Jurgen financially this summer is a good start).

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
No chance we go for a 28 year old Bamford who will be valued at an all-time career high, with very little top-level data to go off, with Leeds in no relegation danger and him literally already being closer to the end of a typical peak for a forward than the start of it.

His xA is running phenomenally hot and his actual progressive stats are really poor, albeit his pressures are excellent. At best I think Bamford has one more season replicating this one then reverts to his mean career production post 25 years of age. Wouldn't be going anywhere near him, as good as he has been this season. Part of the response to his performance this season is because it's such a surprise, but realistically we wouldn't sign a 28 year old forward from another league who'd only 15 goals in a season.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
No chance we go for a 28 year old Bamford who will be valued at an all-time career high, with very little top-level data to go off, with Leeds in no relegation danger and him literally already being closer to the end of a typical peak for a forward than the start of it.

His xA is running phenomenally hot and his actual progressive stats are really poor, albeit his pressures are excellent. At best I think Bamford has one more season replicating this one then reverts to his mean career production post 25 years of age. Wouldn't be going anywhere near him, as good as he has been this season. Part of the response to his performance this season is because it's such a surprise, but realistically we wouldn't sign a 28 year old forward from another league who'd only 15 goals in a season.

I agree. I do think Bamford will keep performing well for Leeds though.

I think we will be targeting a striker who obviously has a good goalscoring record but one with good defensive numbers as well.

I dont think see us buying a target man or a striker with little defensive contribution. First thing Klopp mentioned was his work rate.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
The likes of Harvey Barnes would surely be on our radar if fit but would he worth the silly money Leicester would want? Surprised Klopp has not raided the German league more often as its very comparable to the English game as strength and speed is a must.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The likes of Harvey Barnes would surely be on our radar if fit but would he worth the silly money Leicester would want? Surprised Klopp has not raided the German league more often as its very comparable to the English game as strength and speed is a must.
Harvey Barnes has long been a player I both admire, covet and believe would fit at Liverpool. He's also someone I think would be priced out of a move because as we know, Leicester are excellent at extracting big fees for their best players. Barnes has long been said to be on Edwards' 'list.'

Realistically, Leicester will likely want £50m - £70m for Barnes. If that is the case and he's going to cost as much as a Sancho, then it's clear who we'd be better going after. Indeed, even at £50m, Sancho is a better buy at £70m.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I'd really like Barnes. I do think Leicester would want a lot of money, but his injury might actually help matters as he's a bit out of sight out of mind at the moment. Think he'd be really useful as that attacking mid/wide player I think we need, but you'd probably also want someone who is more of a goalscorer along with him.

On where we sign players from, I agree it's interesting. Just under 50% of Klopp signings were directly from the PL/Championship (Mane, Gini, Robertson, Solanke, Chamberlain, Virgil, Shaqiri, Adrian, Jota, Davies) with Bundesliga the next most common league (Matip, Karius, Klavan, Keita, Thiago, Kabak). A couple from Serie A (Salah, Alisson) and then one player each from Serbia, France, Austria and Greece. Notable that we've signed no-one from Spain or Holland, unless you're counting Van Den Berg but he more for the youth setup.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
I don't think Barnes is quite good enough for the fee they'd ask for him. I think he'd be more of a backup here rather than a starter. Not explosive enough for me.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
Come on Henry lad! after you left Klopp hang out to dry after the Super League shite least you can do is get him a player he likes.

Sell a yacht or something you tight get.

Jan Aage Fjortoft Rainbow flag Flag of Norway
@JanAageFjortoft
Re: Sancho

Manchester United still going for him.

Liverpool/ Klopp also very keen on the player, but have to sell either Salah or Mané to have the necessary money for Sancho’s fee
11:23 AM · May 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd really like Barnes. I do think Leicester would want a lot of money, but his injury might actually help matters as he's a bit out of sight out of mind at the moment. Think he'd be really useful as that attacking mid/wide player I think we need, but you'd probably also want someone who is more of a goalscorer along with him.

On where we sign players from, I agree it's interesting. Just under 50% of Klopp signings were directly from the PL/Championship (Mane, Gini, Robertson, Solanke, Chamberlain, Virgil, Shaqiri, Adrian, Jota, Davies) with Bundesliga the next most common league (Matip, Karius, Klavan, Keita, Thiago, Kabak). A couple from Serie A (Salah, Alisson) and then one player each from Serbia, France, Austria and Greece. Notable that we've signed no-one from Spain or Holland, unless you're counting Van Den Berg but he more for the youth setup.
Excusing UEFA's coefficients - which rank Eredivisie as the 8th best league in Europe (pretty much entirely on the basis of Ajax's CL and Europa Runs in the last 5 years - Russia will overtake them if they have a team that goes deeper than an Eredivisie side next season, Belgium and Austria also are gaining points at a greater rate) so outside of Ajax and maybe PSV, it's really difficult to rank just how good the players from the rest of the division are. I watch Ajax most weeks and aside from the players who I think are dead certs and hold their own in the CL, they've a lot of squad players who would dominate elsewhere in Eredivisie but are probably Championship/poor Premier League level in all likelihood. It's very difficult to assess.

The Premier League has finally overtaken La Liga to be seen as the outstanding league in terms of quality, but the coefficients really don't tell us everything. It's clear that the PL has a better depth of good teams than the other leagues - a West Ham or Everton for example being far better than a Celta Vigo or a Granada - similarly placed clubs - which maybe suggests why there's not much movement to us from the division. Barca and Real hoover up the best domestic talent and the domestic players favour that move over moving abroad often, due to the cache of it. Likewise, we're not going to be taking the best players from Barca and Real (or Atleti to a lesser extent), who realistically the only sides with players at our level. There's a few outliers, Sociedad, Athletic, Betis etc who may have a few we'd be interested in but by and large I think the fact that most of the upcoming talent is concentrated into the few clubs we don't deal with stops moves from Spain.

Completely off topic but it's odd to see the Cypriot league ranked higher than Greece, Serbia and Switzerland.   

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Come on Henry lad! after you left Klopp hang out to dry after the Super League shite least you can do is get him a player he likes.

Sell a yacht or something you tight get.

Jan Aage Fjortoft Rainbow flag Flag of Norway
@JanAageFjortoft
Re: Sancho

Manchester United still going for him.

Liverpool/ Klopp also very keen on the player, but have to sell either Salah or Mané to have the necessary money for Sancho’s fee
11:23 AM · May 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

How would he know how much money we have?