Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 2 v Fulham 0 ‘40 Mo, Shaqiri '53  (Read 32519 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
PL: Liverpool 2 v Fulham 0 ‘40 Mo, Shaqiri '53
« on: November 11, 2018, 11:13:58 am »
Liverpool FC v Fulham FC
Anfield, 11 November 2018, 12pm

If anyone had told you that we’d be sitting on 8 wins and 3 draws from our first 11 games, which included trips to Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and a home game against City, you’d have taken it with gusto. Go on, admit it. You would.

Yet there was a sense of curious disappointment as we trudged off against Arsenal. A missed opportunity. Because whilst that result saw us summit the table, our spell there was brief. Overtaken first by the rampant Man City who annihilated Southampton in depressingly familiar fashion, and then by Sarri’s in-form Chelsea. For our wonderful start, there remains a real concern that we could go on to have a spectacular season – 90 points or more, but come 2nd to a seemingly unstoppable Man City. A concern that this title race might not just be about getting the points against the “little guys” as we’re so often told, but beating the top 6 too. So while a point against Arsenal, and an Arsenal side who played well, is a perfectly good point – come May it may seem like two important points dropped.

But as may often be the case this season, it may simply have to be a case of “next week”. Next week, maybe we’ll win and City, or Chelsea, won’t. And this game is as good a place to start as any. We are up against Fulham, bottom of the league after their defeat at equally underwhelming Huddersfield, while City host rivals and bus-parkers extraordinaire Man Utd and Chelsea have our dear friends from over the park who love doing us a favour.

Our opponents

Fulham were promoted last year via the play-offs, beating Steve Bruce (he of the giant head and literary genius) and his Villains at Wembley. Initial impressions were of a team who played some nice football but who lacked much steel in defence, a side who were destined for a relegation battle unless they could muster up the kind of run that was to eventually save Huddersfield last season. Their first few results were mixed – after 6 games they had one win, two draws and three losses (albeit two of those defeats were away at Spurs and City and therefore somewhat excusable). In Mitrovic they seemed to have a powerhouse forward capable of scoring important goals in this league, in Seri a talented midfielder to create chances and in Bettinelli a keeper whose performances warranted an international call-up. Since their draw with Watford on 22 September however, they’ve been in freefall. Thumped by Everton, Arsenal, Cardiff and Bournemouth before losing at Huddersfield who hadn’t scored a goal at home since 1974. Bottom of the league. 29 goals conceded (the most in the league) at an average of almost 3 per game. Things are starting to look bleak.

Any glimmers of hope for Fulham? Well, they’ve scored 11 goals in 11 games, a figure better than their Premier League basement contemporaries and as high as the much more feted Wolves, and Mitrovic looks a handful. And Vietto is showing glimpses of the kind of form that led to him being for a time being one of the most highly rated young strikers in Europe. Also, there’s that lovely and oft quoted statistic about Klopp’s Liverpool being at times somewhat underwhelming against teams in the relegation zone. But really… we should be beating these.

Liverpool

So yeah we’ve been pretty good so far. Some good results in the league even if everyone can appreciate that we’ve lacked some of the attacking fluency that defined our style of play last season, sacrificed (perhaps) for a miserly and impressive defence. On Tuesday in Belgrade, we were made to pay for our lack of fluency for the first time in a game that really mattered. However, domestically, we’ve won all our games against teams outside of the top 6, including some tricky fixtures away at Leicester and Palace, and at home we’ve shown at least some of the attacking flair we’re renowned for, thumping West Ham 4-0, Southampton 3-0 and Cardiff 4-1. In all honesty, we should be hoping for more of the same, and a strong reaction to the disappointment in Belgrade.

Our only known absentee is Oxlade-Chamberlain, though Hendo didn't made the trip to Serbia and there are doubts over Lovren, Clyne and Keita too. Shaqiri was rested for the journey for political reasons and may well start on Sunday as a result. Otherwise, expect as strong a line-up as we can put together with the international break imminent.

Previous meetings

It seems odd that we’ve not played Fulham for four years after their long stay in the top flight, but so it is. And our recent record (albeit not all that relevant) is broadly good. 6 wins in our last 8 fixtures, the only failings being an ‘orrible double they took over us in 2011/2012 under Kenny, a 1-0 loss at their place with a late Clint Dempsey goal after Jay Spearing had been sent off, and an even more demoralising 0-1 home loss in the weeks before the 2012 FA Cup final when an understrength team underperformed and Martin Skrtel inadvertently headed Fulham to victory. It was a bit of a freak result really – in fact so much so that it is our only ever home defeat to Fulham, though we did endure 0-0 draws with them at Anfield in 2010, 2008 and 2004. So maybe we shouldn’t expect too many fireworks…

On a personal note, I was happy to see Fulham back in the league. The away at Craven Cottage is one of the few in the league that those of us who aren’t lucky enough to regularly follow the reds away can attend, though surreptitiously in Fulham’s bizarre “neutral” stand which became a sea of red whenever we visited. I was fortunate to see our 5-2 win there in 2011 which seemed to cement Kenny’s return, with Maxi scoring a wonderful hat-trick, and the 3-2 win in 2014 which formed part of the phenomenal run which for a time looked to be leading us to the title. I was also present for that 1-0 loss when Dempsey scored – I still think Spearing’s red card was harsh. Fulham fans, in my experience anyway, always seem a decent lot who forego the lure of Chelsea up the road and proudly get behind their team with far less pretension than many Londoners. I no longer live in the big smoke but hope that this season will see reds descend in force on Fulham in the reverse fixture.

Stats

Liverpool: 3rd

Fulham: 20th

Liverpool league form – WDDWWD

Fulham league form – DLLLLL

Top league goalscorers:
Liverpool – Mane (6)
Fulham – Mitrovic (5)

Most league assists:
Liverpool – Salah (3)
Fulham – Vietto (4)

Referees:
Paul Tierney (Ref)
Adrian Holmes and Mick McDonough (Assistant Refs)
Chris Kavanagh (Fourth Official)

So here’s to a strong, positive performance on Sunday, a positive reaction to our European headache, and hopefully plenty of goals. And maybe, just maybe, Man Utd and Everton will do us favours.

Maybe.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:15:27 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool 2 v Fulham 0 ‘40 Mo 53' XS
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 11:14:58 am »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 11:17:08 am »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 11:57:14 am »
There is due to be a one minute's silence before the game. No idea who is available for commentaries today I will start off and we'll see who turns up.  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 11:59:03 am »
There is due to be a one minute's silence before the game. No idea who is available for commentaries today I will start off and we'll see who turns up.  ;D
I’m here...!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 11:59:32 am »
The cursed duo of Tepid and Jill to spoil your Sunday
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 11:59:55 am »
I’m here...!

You can start then. Bring some nice early goals then, no pressure.  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 12:00:37 pm »
A moving moment of silence as we remember the 62000 Liverpudlians who died in the First World War. Some of my family amongst them.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 12:01:27 pm »
1 we’re off and Fulham attack the kop in the first half.
W

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 12:02:31 pm »
"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields." - John McCrae

Lest We Forget.

11:11.11 11/11/1918
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 12:04:11 pm »
Fulham playing four at the back, very quick to get into a defensive shape when they lose the ball.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 12:04:41 pm »
3 A cross by TAA goes to the back post and Manes shot goes wide of the right post.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 12:06:46 pm »
5. Mane wins the ball and feeds Shaqiri who ran at goal, he plays TAA downnthe tught of the area, his shot is mishit and goes over the bar.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 12:09:01 pm »
8 VVD sprays a magnificent ball out to TAA onthe right, but he miscontrols it.

Very quiet at Anfield right now. But it’s so early ...
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 12:09:02 pm »
That was a better move by Liverpool we need to use our pace more against these, Trent will do better.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 12:10:20 pm »
9. Corner to Fulham.

It’s the away swinger from in front of the King Kenny and it’s cut out at the near post.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 12:11:39 pm »
11 Mane sprawls on the ground to win the ball back, he then wriggles past a couple but his pass under pressure is ahead of Mo who would have been in on goal.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 12:13:41 pm »
12 Firmino feeds Shaqiri 25 yards out.  His very firm shot goes just wide of the right hand post, the goalie got a finger to it but we are denied the corner..
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 12:14:18 pm »
It is laughable it was a definite corner.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 12:16:36 pm »
15 oh my word.. just denied goal of the season...

About 3 one twos with Mo and Bobby and Mos shot is parried by the keeper

That was liquid football ;)
W

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 12:17:18 pm »
15 oh my word.. just denied goal of the season...

About 3 one twos with Mo and Bobby and Mos shot is parried by the keeper

That was liquid football ;)

Could have won an award for that had he scored.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 12:17:44 pm »
That so deserved a goal that move, do a few more of those types of move a goal will surely come. Come on Reds.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 12:19:46 pm »
16' Ball is back at Gomez's feet and he looks to begin our hunt again as Anfield is still quite.

Like the minute of silence has been extended for 16 min.

Quiet like the grassy knoll.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 12:21:57 pm »
18' Xerdan finds a pocket of space as Fullhm seem to know it is just a matter of time before we score.

26 unbeaten games in the league at Anfield.

TAA has a pop but it lands on the top of the net.

I see a Trend here...

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 12:24:38 pm »
21' Salah' get in behind with a pass from Bobby but Fulham's keeper get a hand on it.

Like Jackie O ridit in the back of a convertible.

Then the keeper keeps resetting the ball for his goal kick.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 12:25:24 pm »
21' Salah' get in behind with a pass from Bobby but Fulham's keeper get a hand on it.

Like Jackie O ridit in the back of a convertible.

Then the keeper keeps resetting the ball for his goal kick.

Good save that.  Stood up well and made it hard.
W

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 12:26:38 pm »
23" Sessengon (spelling) had a great chance, through on our goal and should have scored, just wide.

Fulham will rue that chance.

They need to take a clinical look at their finishing, take a leaf out of the CIA's book.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 12:30:17 pm »
25' Mane get pressed off and the ball is out for a Fulham throw. We regain possession and it is clear that we will not be happy being stifled by this lot. Mane tries a curling shot from the top of the box, but it is over the goal.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 12:31:58 pm »
29' Alisson has a save with the help of VVD, Fulham have had another chance.....

A second shot for the kill of you will.

Salah is barged intonin the Fulham box, nothing given but it seems to have awoken Anfield....

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 12:32:38 pm »
Fabinho is growing into this game.  Making lots of interceptions, lots of half challenges...

W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 12:33:17 pm »
We really have lost that flow in a play at the moment, Klopp was correct about that Mojo.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 12:34:02 pm »
25' Mane get pressed off and the ball is out for a Fulham throw. We regain possession and it is clear that we will not be happy being stifled by this lot. Mane tries a curling shot from the top of the box, but it is over the goal.
Should have rifled that one in

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 12:34:04 pm »
32' Fulham are very quick to break when they get the chance, straight down from the freekick earlier on. But we get it away.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 12:34:22 pm »
30' Mo Salah Mo Salah running down the wing... Fills the stadium.

It has to be said that we look the better side but if you do not think that Fulham have had chances and may again you might need to take off your tinfoil hat.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 12:35:18 pm »
30' Mo Salah Mo Salah running down the wing... Fills the stadium.

It has to be said that we look the better side but if you do not think that Fulham have had chances and may again you might need to take off your tinfoil hat.

The worry was when Alisson couldn't hold that shot earlier on that could so easily have been 1-0.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2018, 12:36:11 pm »
35' Shaq really close to a great goal after fine work on the wing by Mane. But Fulham get it away. It obviously had a touch on a Fulham defender we get a corner, but that is eventually pushed away and Fulham break.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 12:38:40 pm »
37 The game has gone ping pong in midfield now, as first one teams back passes and pings the ball around and then the the other one does the same. Still no score.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 12:39:56 pm »
38' Another half chance for us as the ball is crossed in but Mane can't get his head onto and it drifts out for a goal kick.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2018, 12:42:47 pm »
40' Fulham break again get into our half the ball is half cleared, then goes back in again and Van Dijk puts it out fo r a corner. The ball is put in the net but rules offside.

Then Alisson bowls out the ball quickly Salah breaks with it, three defenders trailing in his wake and scores 1-0 Liverpool.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2018, 12:43:55 pm »
YEEESS

And the Fulham goal might have been wrongly disallowed.. makes it all the sweeter...

After seeing it... I’m not as convinced as the BT commentators that he was onside though.
W