Author Topic: Liverpool v Chelsea Pre-match Thread. Tue 31 Jan. 8pm.  (Read 37368 times)

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
Liverpool v Chelsea Pre-match Thread. Tue 31 Jan. 8pm.
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:01:26 am »
Liverpool vs Chelsea
Tue 31 January. 8pm.

Before their plasticisation under Roman Abramovich, Chelsea were actually a football club. One of the first matches I saw on TV was the FA Cup final replay in 1970 against Leeds. That team consisted of such famous names of the time as Peter Osgood, Peter Bonetti, David Webb, Ron "Chopper" Harris, John Hollins and Peter Houseman. It also included Ian Hutchinson who had a unique way of taking throw-ins. If my memory serves me correctly, he was double-jointed and could take long throw-ins using a windmill action. So long, in fact, that he could reach the other side of the penalty area. The first time I saw it I was fascinated. Not sure why, perhaps I'm just a bit weird. They won that game 2-1 and so entered the UEFA Cup Winners Cup the following year. Beating Real Madrid in the final ensured Chelsea's first European honour. To celebrate this occasion, the song 'Blue is the Colour' was released in 1972 and sang by their players. I can still remember it now. FFS!

Chelsea's fame - for want of a better word - started a decade earlier. The swinging sixties ushered in an era that saw football and style merge in the heart of London; with the fashionable King's Road at the heart of it. Superstars of the time, including Michael Caine, Steve McQueen, Raquel Welch, Terence Stamp and Richard Attenborough (former Life Vice President of the club) were regularly seen at Stamford Bridge as the team became one of the most glamorous and fashionable in the country. On the pitch, the glamour was provided by Terry Venables. Enough said, I think.

Chelsea were also well-known for these splendid chaps:

Well, not specifically these two, but ones like them. I remember the cameras would religiously pan to the Chelsea pensioners whenever Chelsea appeared on the Big Match on Sundays. The club's first nickname was 'the pensioners' and up until the 1950's the club crest featured a Chelsea pensioner. The lady in the middle is not a pensioner, that's Stephanie Powers of Hart to Hart fame. Not sure why she's in the picture to be honest. Glamour?

After the cup winners cup win, they pretty much went into decline, including a couple of relegations, and thus the glamour faded a bit. However, the 70's did give us Ray 'Butch' Wilkins! Not quite sure how he got his nickname. Sarcasm? He was what pundits like to call 'a silky player' whereas us fans called him 'the crab' as he was forever passing it sideways. The 80's were known for the unholy trinity of Nevin, Speedie and Dixon that finally got them back into the top flight. But the glamour was still missing.

Enter Glen Hoddle. Hmm, maybe not. After that came Gullitt and Vialli, two managers who definitely restored the glamour they once knew and possibly still craved.

Then came Abramovich.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:04:07 am by Henry Kissinger »
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Liverpool v Chelsea Pre-match Thread. Tue 31 Jan. 8pm.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:08:40 am »
Great opening post.

Abramovich arrived and the Plastics were born.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline MerseyMania

• Defiled for fantasticism.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:13:25 am »
Great OP. .
Will end the traumatic month of January with a good show here and a march back towards the summit.. hope the team will make most of its no European/Domestic cup distraction..

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 12:04:30 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Win this and the world will feel a happier place! My daughter got tickets for her third in a row. Please win for Katie!!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 12:48:16 pm »
It's been an absolutely dreadful month of January for our lads. 9 games in 31 days is a lot by anyone's standards, especially with the thin squad that we have that has been further depleted by unavailability at various times. We've scored just 7 times, conceded 10 resulting in a solitary victory at Plymouth of all places. Let's hope the lads can finish the month on a higher note and give us all something to cheer about. There's still a long way to go in the league, and thankfully our run of form has largely been in cup competitions which means our position in the league hasn't been totally destroyed. We can still put up a good fight and put some pressure on the teams above us. Stranger things have happened.

Looking to see mostly our best side back in play:
Karius, RB, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Hendo, CM, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge

It's unclear who'll start at RB without knowing if Clyne will be ready, or what has happened to TAA. I suspect we'll go with the latter. The other CM spot isn't entirely nailed on either. Can usually plays well against the big teams. Gini had a terrible game at Wolves, while Ejaria was quite positive in his contribution. Similarly, Woodburn had a good game also and perhaps he might get the nod, allowing Coutinho in midfield alongside Lallana.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 01:31:31 pm »
We'll leather them

The perfect game to get our shit back together and go on a run

Start Sadio & Phil and we'll tear them a new one

If Arsenal beat them on Saturday then we're right in the thick of a tile fight

Regardless of what anyone says, if the gap gets cut back to 4 points with 14 games to go then a charge is on

So lets do our job and soften these c*nts up for Arsenal. Fuck throwing in any towels.

3-0 to us
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 01:45:29 pm »
We'll leather them

The perfect game to get our shit back together and go on a run

Start Sadio & Phil and we'll tear them a new one

If Arsenal beat them on Saturday then we're right in the thick of a tile fight

Regardless of what anyone says, if the gap gets cut back to 4 points with 14 games to go then a charge is on

So lets do our job and soften these c*nts up for Arsenal. Fuck throwing in any towels.

3-0 to us

Said exactly the same thing after Swansea..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 03:35:21 pm »
i think these are the worst team we could want to play at this moment.

We have struggled so much recently, against teams who can defend tightly and counter well. Probably no-one better at that than Chelsea at this moment.

Need a massive, massive performance on Tuesday, a massive step up from anything we have seen for weeks - better than we were against United and City.

If we are to get anything from this game, we need one of those tactical Klopp games. He seems to enjoy these big games, something to cling onto given our run.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 03:41:48 pm »
Fantastic OP.

Lets smash these plastics and get back to winning ways.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 03:43:09 pm »
Said exactly the same thing after Swansea..

and?

Different day, different game. if you're going to cower away whats' the point of supporting?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 03:43:21 pm »
I think our good record against the rest of the top six will continue on Tuesday. Mane might be on the bench, as I don't think he'll start, but if he does come on hopefully the fans in the stadium show him some support.

Take three points on Tuesday (which means a double over the plastics) and that puts us in a great position, especially if Chelsea then go on to lose to Arsenal. I think we'll go on a good run for the next couple of months as well.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »
Is Henderson fit? In all my years watching him i've never seen him more immobile than he has been lately. Almost as he's running with a pile of bricks on his back. Looks knackered too.

His great trait is his engine, non stop working and powers of recovery. I'm a huge Henderson fan, but something is a missing lately.

I'd bring Mane straight back into the lineup - just get through the game.

Going to have to watch the counter attack, it's what they do superbly. And it also appears to be our biggest weakness. Whoever our holding players are, they must remain disciplined.

Cynical fouls to stop their breakaway are a must - each player in turn must take turns in taking a yellow and hack the c*nts down as soon as they break.

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 03:49:37 pm »
Hopefully Matip, Hendo, Lallana, Mane,Clyne,Milner all return and are on form.
YNWA

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 03:52:18 pm »
Is Henderson fit? In all my years watching him i've never seen him more immobile than he has been lately. Almost as he's running with a pile of bricks on his back. Looks knackered too.

His great trait is his engine, non stop working and powers of recovery. I'm a huge Henderson fan, but something is a missing lately.

Going to have to watch the counter attack, it's what they do superbly. And it also appears to be our biggest weakness. Whoever our holding players are, they must remain disciplined.

Cynical fouls to stop their breakaway are a must - each player in turn must take turns in taking a yellow and hack the c*nts down as soon as they break.

Noticed the same regarding Henderson. Starting to think Fergie was right about his gait.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 03:53:14 pm »
Hopefully Matip, Hendo, Lallana, Mane,Clyne,Milner all return and are on form.

It would be really exciting to see that team again, who started so well at the start of the season.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 03:53:52 pm »
Mignolet
Can Matip Lovren
Clyne Henderson Wijnaldum Milner
Lallana Firmino Coutinho

Karius, Klavan, Moreno, Lucas, Mane, Sturridge, Origi

Go three at the back to protect against counter attacks and against their overlaps from the wing backs. Might need three to protect against Costa too, rough him up, ensure he has no time on the ball. Firmino central as we simply look a better side with him there, and he looks better too. We'll need to be at our best pressing wise if we're to get anything. Really strong bench to change things if we need it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:55:53 pm by Lasardine »

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 04:13:07 pm »
I don't care how we do it but please just win! Would give us all a real lift and a sense of belief this isn't over just yet...
I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 04:19:56 pm »
Well we've never been in worse form under Jurgen but historically and under Jurgen's tenure these are the games we perform in. Don't expect Chelsea to be as defensive as other teams we've faced lately, however they are organised and difficult to break down. No way Mane is starting which leaves us with the dilemma of that right side again.

Mignolet
    Clyne      Matip          Lovren      Milner

Hendo
              Lallana               Wijnaldum

Sturridge        Firmino             Coutinho

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 04:35:38 pm »
Exactly the sort of game we need at the moment, would rather play the league leaders than the team at the bottom.

Sadio straight in please.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 04:44:56 pm »
Time to get back to winning ways.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 04:48:20 pm »
Noticed the same regarding Henderson. Starting to think Fergie was right about his gait.

:puke2

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 04:52:43 pm »
Don't care how. Just beat these twats.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 05:06:38 pm »
Need to get our tempo back to 5th gear and go at them .

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 05:15:35 pm »
When is the last time we lost to a top 4 team?
Seen us win everything

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 05:17:51 pm »
When is the last time we lost to a top 4 team?

Against Arsenal in April 2015 (I assume you mean Chelsea, Arsenal, City and possibly also Spurs if you don't count us).

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 05:18:40 pm »
Really couldn't call it. I just wanna see an improvement and some fire in their bellys more than anything.

Although I say that but would gladly take a shite performance with a deflected own tow winner in the last minute. Perhaps that is what it's gonna take to get back on form.

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 05:26:57 pm »

No. Henderson is not fit. He's got a lingering heel issue (just like last year only different heel). Klopp said so before (I think) Swansea). My speculation is he won't be fully fit the rest of the year (nature of these types of injuries - you need weeks of rest, generally).  It sucks because  we really don't have a replacement. (Maybe Gini?)

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 05:41:07 pm »
Now the experiments (and they were massively useful) with the cup games and the return of the more established players, we're back in good shape for this team-wise.

Those losses has told Jurgen a whole lot about the future. He's already admitted that he thought they were good enough (after Wolves) but they didn't perform or deliver. I would argue that although stick was deserved, Origi and Studge have not exactly had the best of service to them and has looked ragged as a result. Think with the supply line re-established, they may well pick up form again, but Firmino has definitely found his Mojo again, so can't see past him starting up front.

Pretty sure that its going to be too soon for Mane (is there not a rule for resting players after a major competition?) but apart from that, we've finally got the ability to square-peg-square-hole players once again and it is set for us to really put some swagger back in our step. Would love to be in the FA Cup still but we're not, so being able to concentrate on the league and CL qualification is a major headache gone. Now we can go back to what is our bread-and-butter and put some smiles back on our faces. The players have GOT to hurt after the past 10 days. Got to, so must concentrate all that frustration and anger into this.

Have maintained always that the better side we play, the better we are. Hoping that rings true and we can put together a run again, although if I were Conte in the position that they're in at the moment, I'd quite frankly sit back in numbers. He does not need to win this game, although part of him must be saying that if he does, then that's us out of it. My guess is that he'll err on the side of caution and take a point, so lets be prepared for a long night.

That said, if any players are reading this, we could seriously do with a win against these, lads. We need some smiles back on our faces and to do so against these plastic bastards will do just nicely. Added to the fact that a large majority of my cousins are season ticket holders as well, personally, my life will be hell if we lose... So for my sake (selfish bastard I am) don't let that happen. Mind you, I'll be watching from a pub in Raleigh NC Tuesday so can use the time difference argument for not responding to anyone.

Also, if there is anyone from the Raleigh Liverpool supporters club reading this, can you PM me and let me know all is good to come watch the match? Ta!

Come on Redmen. You owe Klopp, you owe us, you owe yourselves a performance Tuesday. Don't Royal Mail us and miss the chance to deliver.

The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 05:54:32 pm »
Now the experiments (and they were massively useful) with the cup games and the return of the more established players, we're back in good shape for this team-wise.

Those losses has told Jurgen a whole lot about the future. He's already admitted that he thought they were good enough (after Wolves) but they didn't perform or deliver. I would argue that although stick was deserved, Origi and Studge have not exactly had the best of service to them and has looked ragged as a result. Think with the supply line re-established, they may well pick up form again, but Firmino has definitely found his Mojo again, so can't see past him starting up front.

Pretty sure that its going to be too soon for Mane (is there not a rule for resting players after a major competition?) but apart from that, we've finally got the ability to square-peg-square-hole players once again and it is set for us to really put some swagger back in our step. Would love to be in the FA Cup still but we're not, so being able to concentrate on the league and CL qualification is a major headache gone. Now we can go back to what is our bread-and-butter and put some smiles back on our faces. The players have GOT to hurt after the past 10 days. Got to, so must concentrate all that frustration and anger into this.

Have maintained always that the better side we play, the better we are. Hoping that rings true and we can put together a run again, although if I were Conte in the position that they're in at the moment, I'd quite frankly sit back in numbers. He does not need to win this game, although part of him must be saying that if he does, then that's us out of it. My guess is that he'll err on the side of caution and take a point, so lets be prepared for a long night.

That said, if any players are reading this, we could seriously do with a win against these, lads. We need some smiles back on our faces and to do so against these plastic bastards will do just nicely. Added to the fact that a large majority of my cousins are season ticket holders as well, personally, my life will be hell if we lose... So for my sake (selfish bastard I am) don't let that happen. Mind you, I'll be watching from a pub in Raleigh NC Tuesday so can use the time difference argument for not responding to anyone.

Also, if there is anyone from the Raleigh Liverpool supporters club reading this, can you PM me and let me know all is good to come watch the match? Ta!

Come on Redmen. You owe Klopp, you owe us, you owe yourselves a performance Tuesday. Don't Royal Mail us and miss the chance to deliver.

:wellin

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 06:00:04 pm »

Dont think Saturday's "experiment" was useful at all as we are now out of the FA Cup thanks to it.

Chelsea was always going to be a tricky game, but it looks even worse now with our current form.

Hate to say it but can see a 2-0 Chelsea win for this one.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 06:11:06 pm »
Dont think Saturday's "experiment" was useful at all as we are now out of the FA Cup thanks to it.

Chelsea was always going to be a tricky game, but it looks even worse now with our current form.

Should we win on Tuesday it will totally justify what happened. At the end of the day there were nine internationals in the team on Saturday, it is not like we put the youth team out like Southampton did. That team should have been capable of challenging far better than it did.

Our only chance of building is to finish in the top four that is the key, therefore the manager was correct in his selection. The fact is the players let themselves down with the exception of some of the younger lads. Klopp has to make a choice he does not have a squad strong enough to challenge on that many fronts. Therefore prioritising the one that is key to developing the team next season is the only decision he could make. He is looking at the wider picture.

Also we have every chance of getting a good result in Chelsea, the season can change in an instant.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 06:12:59 pm »
I feel we will win this match pretty easily. 3-0 to the Reds. Hope Sadio starts.

More worried about Hull next week. We seem to have trouble against bus-parking teams. I don't see Conte parking the bus.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2017, 06:13:07 pm »

The fact that we are underdogs for this can only see one result a win for the reds.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 06:14:30 pm »
I really don't see where the spark will come from for us to get a result, the players look bereft of ideas in the final 3rd and  we'll always concede goals. Its a tough ask imo, i'll be amazed if its anything other than a narrow Chelsea win.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2017, 06:19:28 pm »
I feel we will win this match pretty easily. 3-0 to the Reds. Hope Sadio starts.

More worried about Hull next week. We seem to have trouble against bus-parking teams. I don't see Conte parking the bus.

We should have Mane back for Hull which will help us considerably as we have someone who can go around the back of defenders, and create some space.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »
If we really wanna be in the title race, last chance saloon now.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2017, 06:22:32 pm »
We should have Mane back for Hull which will help us considerably as we have someone who can go around the back of defenders, and create some space.

That should help. I am hoping that he doesn't have to go through X number of training sessions before he can play.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »
That should help. I am hoping that he doesn't have to go through X number of training sessions before he can play.

Dom King was suggesting he would be on the bench on Tuesday, but we'll have to see I guess.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2017, 06:35:10 pm »
Despite our form I can't wait for this one!! We can't beat the minnow of late but we sure can beat the top teams. Let's bring these down a peg or two and show them that we are still a threat!

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2017, 06:35:56 pm »
I wont be at the game for geographical reasons ( distance of 10,027 km) , but I hope Anfield lights up as we do for our European nights, this isn't less than one.  Our whole team needs our support. Imagine how you felt when your gf broke up with you, we are currently most probably in that same shitty state of mind with those 3 consecutive home defeats.
Come on Liverpool and come on all the 40k supporters who will be at the game, show the plastic club that we will still fight for the title this season.

I am sure Klopp and the boys would appreciate having the fans behind them, even if we lose(i think we wont!) they will keep fighting till the final whistle.