Author Topic: FT Liverpool 2 v Swansea 3 [Llorente 48', 52' Firmino 55' 69', Sigurd 74']  (Read 86277 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: FT Liverpool 2 v Swansea 3 [Llorente 48', 52' Firmino 55' 69', Sigurd 74']
« Reply #1640 on: January 23, 2017, 11:35:01 pm »
Listening to Klopp in the press conference today was really intereting. Appartantly after the Swansea game, he had a meeting with the players for about half an hour. In it they discussed the goals they have been conceding, but he also urged the players to start enjoying themselves as well. He feels as if  the enjoyment of how they play has gone from them, so he wanted to encourage the positive feeling back into playing. The meeting also showed some of the goals scored this season to remind them, about how well they were doing. Also pointing out they are still fourteen points better off than last season at this time. I hope this has a encouraging effect on them, and also a bouncing Anfield so that we can put this disappointing blip behind us.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1641 on: January 24, 2017, 12:59:12 am »
The simple problem - we have 4/5 top quality (not world class), but top PL players in Matip, Mane, Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana.

Chelsea have like 8.

As brilliant as Klopp is, over the course of a season, another top manager like Conte will, of course have an unreal advantage when he has players like Fabregas, Willian on his bench, and more elite level players in the starting line up already.

I think we have a good shot at top 4 this year, and Mane assimilating quickly on return + Coutinho getting into his grove quick is imperative. Then, hope for another summer with 2 buys like Mane and Matip who can make a huge impact. Without these 2 outstanding signings, we look fucking lost at times. Not because the others are garbage or anything of the sort...just that we have to move everyone out of position cause we have fuck all depth.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline WaterfordRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1642 on: January 24, 2017, 10:03:50 am »
Arguably our best team doesn't contain an out and out striker.

You are right, it does not but it does seem that we need two teams.
One for the sublime football and one set up for grinding out a win.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:27:35 pm by WaterfordRed »
SOS 8040

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #1643 on: January 24, 2017, 11:01:47 am »
Just can't get over the lack of fight in the first half - thats the most worrying thing of all.
Mate, with all due respect, you are an absolute fucking fruit case -MOZ

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline My Original Username Back

• Kopite
« Reply #1644 on: January 24, 2017, 02:40:48 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much (from a Spurs fan here).

You are having a bit of a lull results and performances wise. Every team has one. You started the season on fire and now you are having a dip. Spurs started the season with a bit of a dip and now we are playing really well (well we were until last Saturday). It will happen.

I did think the title talk was fanciful though, which many on here were saying was realistic. There is no way a porous defence like Liverpools can win the title. Well, never say never, but if you are always relying on trying to outscore opponents to win games, you will come unstuck at times.

Matip coming back should help, but defending comes from the whole side, not just defence.

Title winning sides know that if they score one or two goals, they will very likely win the game and take 3 points because they hardly concede. Chelsea are showing that this season.

Liverpool should finish top 4. United will miss out, they don't have enough goals in their side. Chelsea are guaranteed, so Arsenal, Spurs, City and Pool for 3 places.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #1645 on: January 24, 2017, 02:59:37 pm »
Totally agree, but I think we should be looking at how far we have come over the last 5 years since FSG took the reins. People on here have short memories but it is worth reminding about how close we came to going into administration, Hodgson at the helm and the bottom half of the table becoming the norm for us.

We should surely be looking at the big picture rather than letting the natural short term ups and downs of premier league football cloud our vision. Results like Swansea happen.. They just do and not only to us, to Chelsea, to Barcelona and even to the Mancs.

We might not win the league this season but so long as the journey is fun and we keep moving on that upward trend with hopefully a trophy every now and again, its all good!  :)

I think it is tough on him at the moment. Nothing much is going right he has lost a bit of sparkle. The transfers, the results, the lack of belief that some fans seem to have. This is why i sometimes get so frusrated on here. I can't get why some cannot see how far we have already come with this guy. Yes we're in a rut at the moment, but that happens in football.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:01:58 pm by SteveLFC »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1646 on: January 24, 2017, 03:13:46 pm »
I did think the title talk was fanciful though, which many on here were saying was realistic.
It's only fanciful because Chelsea are having an abnormal season, we progressed and bridged the gap with Utd, City, Arsenal and Spurs but you can't bridge a gap with the team that is on track to win 95+ points. What's happening with them and how they achieved this is similar to Leicester last season - makes zero sense.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1647 on: January 24, 2017, 03:59:40 pm »
It's only fanciful because Chelsea are having an abnormal season, we progressed and bridged the gap with Utd, City, Arsenal and Spurs but you can't bridge a gap with the team that is on track to win 95+ points. What's happening with them and how they achieved this is similar to Leicester last season - makes zero sense.

What happened with Leicester is abnormal.

Chelsea? Well, last season was shocking, and Conte's done well to turn it around.

The likes of Pedro, Costa, Hazard have huge pedigree, title winning experience and are a good age too. Their central midfield is ridiculously good. Top draw keeper. All of that with a top manager whose got a good system going.

No European football too..the outstanding season makes a lot of sense. That bench has Fabregas and Willian. Think about that for a second. That's ridiculous quality in depth.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1648 on: January 24, 2017, 04:17:42 pm »
They're good but they're not 95+ points good. That would put them in the bracket of one or two best teams we've ever seen in this league.

And what's abnormal about it is they spent the entire season on a mid-table level including a month or so under Conte and  after a flick of the switch/formation change they all of the sudden returned not only to their champions level of two years ago but even better.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1649 on: January 24, 2017, 05:35:08 pm »
They're good but they're not 95+ points good. That would put them in the bracket of one or two best teams we've ever seen in this league.

And what's abnormal about it is they spent the entire season on a mid-table level including a month or so under Conte and  after a flick of the switch/formation change they all of the sudden returned not only to their champions level of two years ago but even better.

They will come unstuck at some point. Brendan flicked the same switch and went on a massive run as well.

All it takes is for one team to find a way to get around them, that is realistic (spurs are pretty abnormal in the intensity they play at) and other teams will replicate it.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1650 on: January 24, 2017, 05:55:50 pm »
They will come unstuck at some point. Brendan flicked the same switch and went on a massive run as well.

All it takes is for one team to find a way to get around them, that is realistic (spurs are pretty abnormal in the intensity they play at) and other teams will replicate it.

They have to play us one week then Arsenal the next so that will be crucial, I'll be surprised if they don't drop a few points then.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline My Original Username Back

• Kopite
« Reply #1651 on: January 24, 2017, 06:03:46 pm »
They have to play us one week then Arsenal the next so that will be crucial, I'll be surprised if they don't drop a few points then.

Personally if they get through those undefeated, the title is theirs.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1652 on: January 24, 2017, 06:10:42 pm »

I always find it funny when people say that they will be found out because the same happened to Rodgers when he played 3 at the back.  Let's be honest here.  Rodgers is a good manager but doesn't hold a candle to Conte who is one of the best managers in the game today.  Do managers who play 4 at the back switch formations when they get "found out" or is it only managers who play 3 at the back?  Conte is a world class manager who has been using this same formation for years.  He's not going to change his system because he loses a game or two and got "found out". 

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1653 on: January 24, 2017, 06:14:04 pm »
He's not going to change his system because he loses a game or two and got "found out". 
That's exactly why he changed from back 4 to back 3 in the first place.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1654 on: January 25, 2017, 12:26:04 am »
That's exactly why he changed from back 4 to back 3 in the first place.

The 3 back system is one that he's used predominately for years now.  I think it's more likely that he tried out a 4 back system when he first arrived as that is what the players were used to and he didn't think he had the players for a 3 back system.  I mean, seriously, who would've though Victor Moses would be good as a wingback and that Azpilicueta could handle being one of the 3 CB's?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1655 on: January 25, 2017, 11:35:10 am »
Don't think they've had an injury of note this season?
That is the only thing I've seen similar to Leicester last season.....and I remember people saying once Vardy/Mahrez gets injured they'd be finished

In an abnormal season, one thing you need going for you is your key players staying fit. So far they have that on their side.

Not using it as an excuse but its another reason why they are doing so well. perfect storm for them so far.......im hoping its a set up for an even more spectacular fall so that when they do, they can fuck off and take that slipping song with them  ;D
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1656 on: January 25, 2017, 02:57:08 pm »
In an abnormal season, one thing you need going for you is your key players staying fit. So far they have that on their side.
Exactly, teams that win leagues almost always seem to have injury-free seasons for their star players - stars aligning for them I guess. If we had Phil and Mane available for all our games that 10 point gap would have been halved imo.