539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1447312 times)

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Everybody's gone to the Brexit
« Reply #2601 on: October 19, 2018, 09:32:50 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/oct/08/labour-and-tory-mayors-unite-to-demand-they-take-back-control-of-regional-spending-after-brexit-politics-live?page=with:block-5bbb76f0e4b0fe77b41b05ed#block-5bbb76f0e4b0fe77b41b05ed

Some of the figures that many would be happy to have the troubles return as long as they get a hard brexit are disgusting  :butt

I would happily see the break up of the UK if England could stay in the EU.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2602 on: October 19, 2018, 09:38:19 pm »
Anyone seen any Labour frontbencher mention the possibility of a Peoples Vote this week?

I've seen Thornberry twice talk about negotiating a customs union and a fantasy single market relationship, and Corbyn say the Tories should either step aside or go back to renegotiate if whatever deal May brings back to Parliament is rejected.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #2603 on: October 19, 2018, 09:47:25 pm »
Anyone seen any Labour frontbencher mention the possibility of a Peoples Vote this week?

McDonnell, for one.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1052554822182944768

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #2604 on: October 19, 2018, 09:49:40 pm »

I've seen Thornberry twice talk about negotiating a customs union and a fantasy single market relationship, and Corbyn say the Tories should either step aside or go back to renegotiate if whatever deal May brings back to Parliament is rejected.

I've only seen Starmer on Question Time talking about it. He also mentioned the need to be in the customs union and *mumble* single market too. Labour's 'structured approach' and all that.

edit: edited for clarity. Beer works.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:51:55 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #2605 on: October 19, 2018, 09:51:45 pm »

Even if it led to 30 years of troubles in England and thousands dead because of it...?

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2606 on: October 19, 2018, 10:09:11 pm »

Nope, I wouldn't mind but the Tories are trying to make Labour believe they are fallening into a trap if they did call for a Peoples vote. a call for a people vote would have to be justified, refusing to accept Austerity also had to be justified. well brexit is Austerty+++ if you believe in fighting Austerity then you have to fight Brexit.
This is Brexit.
The situation now is all the evidence points to economic and social disaster.
F... the car industry,
F... our services industry.
F.... Agriculture.
F... The Union.
I never saw any of this on the side of the bus, Brexit 2016 was paradise, Brexit 2019 is anarchy and poverty. nobody voted for it and it shouldn't be forced upon the country by nutters out to screw us at any cost.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:13:13 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2607 on: October 19, 2018, 10:23:41 pm »
Even if it led to 30 years of troubles in England and thousands dead because of it...?

Why would England, Scotland and Wales go down that line?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2608 on: October 19, 2018, 10:32:09 pm »
To be fair here, IDS is so monumentally stupid, its hard to even guess what he does or doesn't actually "know", a trait he shares with several hardcore leavers.

Notice he mentions Aston Martin and JCB as example of British firms who won't be substantially affected by Brexit. Aston sold and amazing 5117 cars last year (Sunderland builds over 500,000 a year) and while JCB is doing well, it employs 15,000 worldwide and only 7600 in the UK. To put it another way, in the UK they employ 1/7th of the total people employed due to Nissan, 7000 at the plant and 40,000 in the supply chain.

The man is an utter moron.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2609 on: October 19, 2018, 10:54:09 pm »

I would be happy to see the break up of the Uk. And England sinking would be funny too.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2610 on: October 19, 2018, 10:55:23 pm »

Naw, break up the UK, United Ireland...we'll be just fine in the EU.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2611 on: October 19, 2018, 11:11:32 pm »
Breaking up the UK is a racing certainty if brexit goes ahead.  What puzzles me is how leave ever won the vote,  those I know are 80:20 remain and we are talking many hundreds of people so clearly a representative sample.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #2612 on: October 20, 2018, 12:02:24 am »
Why would England, Scotland and Wales go down that line?

Well aye of course people voted to be poorer and unemployed so no reason they won't go to the next step. Miners, poll tax, toxeth - times that it nearly divided society in England - its not impossible. A few people are predicting trouble if "brexit" isn't delivered - whateva the feck that is.

Two other things, you'd think Scotland would be long gone by then (but they'd need to grow a pair) and the fact that while violence in England may be a point to debate, in NI its not. Hard brexit and its back and people just like the ones you love the most are being killed.

Naw, break up the UK, United Ireland...we'll be just fine in the EU.

I'd be grand with that  8)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2613 on: October 20, 2018, 12:07:38 am »

Yeah it’s a shame that England are being dragged out of the eu by Scotland and Northern Ireland. The bastards.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #2614 on: October 20, 2018, 01:38:53 am »
Notice he mentions Aston Martin and JCB as example of British firms who won't be substantially affected by Brexit. Aston sold and amazing 5117 cars last year (Sunderland builds over 500,000 a year) and while JCB is doing well, it employs 15,000 worldwide and only 7600 in the UK. To put it another way, in the UK they employ 1/7th of the total people employed due to Nissan, 7000 at the plant and 40,000 in the supply chain.

The man is an utter moron.

Indeed, the car industry, as I remember, employs directly and indirectly 2million people. Given the financial services revenues it does seem like small beans but the negatives are 2 million, 2 FUCKIN MILLION, people losing their jobs! Always knew that people would celebrate the b/wankers losing their jobs but the economy and very importantly pensions are all based on it. 10s of banking city jobs can mean 10,000 in car manufacture in losses to the state. As fordie says is it really at any cost?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2615 on: October 20, 2018, 02:02:02 am »
Bankers aren't losing their jobs,all that's happening is both the bankers and jobs are relocating to the mainland.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2616 on: October 20, 2018, 02:20:58 am »
Bankers aren't losing their jobs,all that's happening is both the bankers and jobs are relocating to the mainland.
In other words UK companies will relocate to the EU after Brexit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGE8248N7Y
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2617 on: October 20, 2018, 09:16:51 am »
Breaking up the UK is a racing certainty if brexit goes ahead.  What puzzles me is how leave ever won the vote,  those I know are 80:20 remain and we are talking many hundreds of people so clearly a representative sample.
You must keep good company, with intelligent folk.

I know plenty who voted Leave, but they are certainly not the cleverest folk.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #2618 on: October 20, 2018, 11:16:04 am »
May's problem. (by R. Daniel Kelemen)

Also Labour's problem, whether in or out of government, until and unless they remove the top promise completely.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:21:33 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2619 on: October 20, 2018, 12:50:47 pm »
May's problem. (by R. Daniel Kelemen)

Ah, but what the author hasn't taken into consideration there is that she wants a deal, and she's working hard to get a deal that works for our country and the people.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2620 on: October 20, 2018, 12:53:17 pm »
Another people’s march today, and Jezza swerves it to meet the president of Chile in Switzerland to virtue signal about Pinochet.

Shouldn’t shock anyone that, but a nice dereliction of his duties there.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2621 on: October 20, 2018, 01:22:50 pm »

That is not a representative sample at all, it is self selecting.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #2622 on: October 20, 2018, 01:30:23 pm »

What the hell are you on about?
Y.N.W.A.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2623 on: October 20, 2018, 01:36:30 pm »
My constituents are always saying "I don't want to be a Vassal state" they say it just before they ask for a foodbank voucher usually.
https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1053035373302095883
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #2624 on: October 20, 2018, 01:41:08 pm »
The UK govt confirmed to today it will not continue to apply the Barnett Formula beyond this parliament.

For those of you who don't know what that means, this is the mechanism whereby central funds are allocated for national and regional spends, (the source of the infamous NI subsidy).

The Tories are now extended for full strike.What happens for example is NI farmers apply for EU grants, say, and the EU decides they are worth X under CAP. But they remit that grant to WM and WM then either passes the whole lot on to NI, or as it has naughtily done from time to time, Barnetises it and tops up English farmers, who on paper would not actually be eligible for the same amount of dosh, as they are better off.

Molto fury and gnashing of teeth from NI, but that's the price of the Union.

This is one reason why the Scots were driving hard to get full fiscal control over any payments destined for Scotland.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2625 on: October 20, 2018, 01:49:01 pm »
The UK govt confirmed to today it will not continue to apply the Barnett Formula beyond this parliament.

For those of you who don't know what that means, this is the mechanism whereby central funds are allocated for national and regional spends, (the source of the infamous NI subsidy).

The Tories are now extended for full strike.What happens for example is NI farmers apply for EU grants, say, and the EU decides they are worth X under CAP. But they remit that grant to WM and WM then either passes the whole lot on to NI, or as it has naughtily done from time to time, Barnetises it and tops up English farmers, who on paper would not actually be eligible for the same amount of dosh, as they are better off.

Molto fury and gnashing of teeth from NI, but that's the price of the Union.

This is one reason why the Scots were driving hard to get full fiscal control over any payments destined for Scotland.

From what I can see, this is just for the replacement for CAP payments, not scrapping it altogether, that would be huge news...

They have done the same for Scotland as well in terms of stealing EU subsidy oney meant for Scotland - https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16275788.michael-gove-denies-stealing-from-scottish-farmers-amid-eu-subsidy-concerns/

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #2626 on: October 20, 2018, 02:00:17 pm »
From what I can see, this is just for the replacement for CAP payments, not scrapping it altogether, that would be huge news...

They have done the same for Scotland as well in terms of stealing EU subsidy oney meant for Scotland - https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16275788.michael-gove-denies-stealing-from-scottish-farmers-amid-eu-subsidy-concerns/

Well it was confirmed no, if so its an admission they won't be able to afford to go on topping up the poorer regions. It means less funding for NI, because unless the Tories come up with a new formula which gives NI as much or more, which is highly unlikely, they are pulling their horns back in.

Essentially, Barnett, which is based on adjustments to population size, tries to ensure that levels of public spending in Wales, NI and Scotland are the same or roughly the same as those in England, because the tax take from all the regions goes to WM, they are not self-financing. It's a share out. If spending in each region was equivalent to the tax take from individual regions then England would always have more in the kitty, as the population is so much larger.

More rough waters ahead for May.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #2627 on: October 20, 2018, 02:03:24 pm »
My bet is and I hope I am right, May has told the DUP she will jack it in and call a GE if they don't STFU.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #2628 on: October 20, 2018, 02:04:59 pm »

It shows just how many fucking idiots there are out there
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2629 on: October 20, 2018, 02:10:46 pm »
Well it was confirmed no, if so its an admission they won't be able to afford to go on topping up the poorer regions. It means less funding for NI, because unless the Tories come up with a new formula which gives NI as much or more, which is highly unlikely, they are pulling their horns back in.

Essentially, Barnett, which is based on adjustments to population size, tries to ensure that levels of public spending in Wales, NI and Scotland are the same or roughly the same as those in England, because the tax take from all the regions goes to WM, they are not self-financing. It's a share out. If spending in each region was equivalent to the tax take from individual regions then England would always have more in the kitty, as the population is so much larger.

More rough waters ahead for May.

As a Scot who obsesses about the independence issue, I'm well aware of what Barnett is  ;D.

This is just specifically about agricultural payments. Barnett as a whole is about far more than that and determines the size of the block grant given to the devolved parliaments/assemblies. I can't see anythign in the news about any of that changing.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #2630 on: October 20, 2018, 02:12:35 pm »
As a Scot who obsesses about the independence issue, I'm well aware of what Barnett is  ;D.

This is just specifically about agricultural payments. Barnett as a whole is about far more than that and determines the size of the block grant given to the devolved parliaments/assemblies. I can't see anythign in the news about any of that changing.

;D

I'll have a look and see if I can find it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #2631 on: October 20, 2018, 02:26:32 pm »
The most baffling thing about the referendum and I'm shocked that so many unionist farmers couldn't see beyond their innate xenophobia, and realise that apart from the fact that 87% of farm income here (Rep. of Ireland) derives from EU grants, a third of the north's milk production is exported to creameries in the Republic for further processing, and that Brexit poses a real threat to that market. In the longer term it should be possible for that milk to be processed locally but farmers working on fine margins may not survive in business until that happens.
Y.N.W.A.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2632 on: October 20, 2018, 02:32:05 pm »
Massive anotbeexit March...

The leader of the opposition?

Abroad, talking about general Pinochet..

Get them all out.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2633 on: October 20, 2018, 02:54:46 pm »
https://twitter.com/brexitdealvote

More
Replying to @SadiqKhan @peoplesvote_uk
Poll: some people claim that a vote on the deal is undemocratic. Do we still have to proceed with Brexit even if a majority of Britons want neither the deal negotiated nor no deal, even if this would effectively mean that Brexit is no longer the will of the people? Please RT.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2634 on: October 20, 2018, 03:15:11 pm »
The most baffling thing about the referendum and I'm shocked that so many unionist farmers couldn't see beyond their innate xenophobia, and realise that apart from the fact that 87% of farm income here (Rep. of Ireland) derives from EU grants, a third of the north's milk production is exported to creameries in the Republic for further processing, and that Brexit poses a real threat to that market. In the longer term it should be possible for that milk to be processed locally but farmers working on fine margins may not survive in business until that happens.

It's not just farmers though. It's everyone. I don't understand how people can see Brexit as anything but an economic disaster. A lot of people seem to think it will be nothing more but a small hiccup and things will go back to normal. They won't. Tariffs and higher prices for your exports will cost jobs (or put smaller companies out of business). The same goes for the additional paper work that has to be done. Brexit will also cost jobs because bigger companies might feel it's better to move at least some of their production to the EU. Brexit will not completely blow up the British economy at the moment it happens, but it will do so over time. And it will be very hard to get it back on track in a reasonable amount of time. Yet, Brexiteers seem to think everything will be fine after a couple of months...

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2635 on: October 20, 2018, 03:16:24 pm »
Massive anotbeexit March...

The leader of the opposition?

Abroad, talking about general Pinochet..

Get them all out.

There's priorities, and there's priorities...

Meanwhile, the boy Owen has his too.

Hidden amongst his no doubt earnest and vital for the nations future well being trans debate burblings that he seems largely preoccupied with today is this...

Hello! You seem nice but I don't actually support calls for a second referendum, have fun though!

There again, it comes as little surprise to me, after all..

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:22:17 pm by The Gulleysucker »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2636 on: October 20, 2018, 03:39:24 pm »
There's priorities, and there's priorities...

Meanwhile, the boy Owen has his too.

Hidden amongst his no doubt earnest and vital for the nations future well being trans debate burblings that he seems largely preoccupied with today is this...

Hello! You seem nice but I don't actually support calls for a second referendum, have fun though!

There again, it comes as little surprise to me, after all..

It probably irks him that a situation he doesnt give a shit about can gather such a march.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2637 on: October 20, 2018, 04:04:10 pm »
It probably irks him that a situation he doesnt give a shit about can gather such a march.

Quite likely, he does have a bit of an ego...

No doubt he'll now beaver away at some article for this weeks Grauniad where he'll do his usual Brexit/Lexit sentiment deflection and say that this march is misplaced or something and that any anti Brexit ire should only be directed at the Tories.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2638 on: October 20, 2018, 04:04:16 pm »
Incredibly disappointed with Corbyn today, he had to be at this rally. I pretty much support his whole socialist platform but his apathy towards Europe is unforgivable really. Good luck trying to get everyone free healthcare and tuition and basic income when the economy is shrinking 10% a year.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2639 on: October 20, 2018, 04:11:02 pm »
Incredibly disappointed with Corbyn today, he had to be at this rally. I pretty much support his whole socialist platform but his apathy towards Europe is unforgivable really. Good luck trying to get everyone free healthcare and tuition and basic income when the economy is shrinking 10% a year.

I doubt he cares. Those of us who have observed his political career know that nothing he has ever said about Europe over the last 30 years has given the slightest indication that he has the any enthusiasm for it, only antipathy.

Are any Labour MP's (or any other party) at the rally? That may tell us all we need to know about how serious they are, if at all..