Author Topic: Harry Wilson  (Read 8761 times)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Harry Wilson
« on: August 9, 2021, 09:31:20 am »
A goal and a man of the match award on his debut. Still far too good for the Championship, £12 million looks a steal:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JePp0_G3hDM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JePp0_G3hDM</a>

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Harry Wilson
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2021, 09:39:17 am »
Good to see him make a strong start there, certainly seems to be more his level than the Premier League.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 9, 2021, 10:41:05 am »
Since he's had one season in the Premier League, as part of a basket case club, that's really impossible to say.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 9, 2021, 12:46:23 pm »
He's had 91 Championship games, scored 30 and assisted 19 and generally been one of the best players wherever he's been (Hull, Derby, Cardiff and now Fulham). He had time in the PL, good goal scoring record but certainly not one of Bournemouth's best players and then similarly at international level he's scored a few goals but has not stood out at all. Definitely doesn't look impossible to say the Championship is more his level.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 9, 2021, 12:59:28 pm »
I think he'll get another opportunity in the PL at some point. He did play well yesterday, arguably should have scored more than one, and Fulham should challenge for promotion with players like Wilson and Mitrovic who will score a lot of goals at that level. He's still only 24 so he's got time on his side and a good platform to settle and establish himself as a key player for Fulham.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 9, 2021, 02:55:17 pm »
I think he'll get another opportunity in the PL at some point. He did play well yesterday, arguably should have scored more than one, and Fulham should challenge for promotion with players like Wilson and Mitrovic who will score a lot of goals at that level. He's still only 24 so he's got time on his side and a good platform to settle and establish himself as a key player for Fulham.

There's always the example of Conor Coady, who wasn't even a CB when he left us.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 9, 2021, 05:11:57 pm »
Can see him having a similar season to the one he had while at Derby with plenty of goals. Fulham will be one of the sides challenging for promotion and Silva will be playing attacking football. And by the way he talked about Wilson recently he clearly sees him as a key player.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 9, 2021, 06:35:36 pm »
There's always the example of Conor Coady, who wasn't even a CB when he left us.

Exactly, sometimes a player needs to take a step back to eventually take two forward.

He wasn't quite good enough for us, but I do think he'd have been a good signing for a few PL clubs. I'd like to see him get a chance to play at that level again.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8 on: August 9, 2021, 09:11:50 pm »
Since he's had one season in the Premier League, as part of a basket case club, that's really impossible to say.

And Eddie Howe didn't do a great job of developing the likes of Ibe and Solanke. It wasn't ideal to loan him there.

He could be one of those players who is really good in The Championship but doesn't really make the step up to the Premier League. Got a great left foot, but not really the all round game. He's the type of player who'll score goals at any level due to the quality of his shooting.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 04:55:14 am »
Saw red yesterday
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 08:59:33 pm »
Saw red yesterday

It will get overturned.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 09:33:34 pm »
Saw red yesterday

"His armband proved he saw red".
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 02:20:13 pm »
"His armband proved he saw red".

Hahaha
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 08:53:57 pm »
Saw red yesterday

Is that two red cards in his last three competitive games?!

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 12:58:13 am »
Is that two red cards in his last three competitive games?!

Instead of the welsh Messi does he think he’s Diego Costa 2.0?  I didn’t see it coming.

The match report I read he kicked out at an opponent after he’d been tackled. Probably just been a bit unlucky lately.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2021, 01:39:38 pm »
Another goal and assist, think he’s enjoying this campaign
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2021, 05:22:38 pm »
Another goal and assist, think he’s enjoying this campaign

Fulham look like they're going to walk that league this season.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 09:59:07 am »
He’s a steal at 12m

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 10:28:09 am »
He’s a steal at 12m

Yep, he's shown that this is his level and he's very good in it. Without COVID I suspect a Championship club might have paid nearly £20 million for him.

For £12 million you get yourself a very good player in the Championship, and if you get promoted he'll be good in another year when you get relegated again or even sell him back to another Championship side.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 11:54:26 am »
Yep, he's shown that this is his level and he's very good in it. Without COVID I suspect a Championship club might have paid nearly £20 million for him.

For £12 million you get yourself a very good player in the Championship, and if you get promoted he'll be good in another year when you get relegated again or even sell him back to another Championship side.

Nope he’s better than championship level, he will have a PL move in the future via Fulham or somewhere else, he scored 8 goals in his first season at PL level for a club which ended up being relegated afterall.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 12:25:23 pm »
Nope he’s better than championship level, he will have a PL move in the future via Fulham or somewhere else, he scored 8 goals in his first season at PL level for a club which ended up being relegated after all.

Nope, he's literally proven himself so far to be exactly Championship level. He's had two and a half very good seasons in the Championship and is carrying on in the same fashion this time around. His one season in the PL, he couldn't get a kick for the second half of the season because when he wasn't scoring goals he was doing absolutely nothing else. There's absolutely no shame whatsoever in being a really good player at that level and not being able to quite carry that up to the PL. Jason Koumas and Matej Vydra immediately spring to mind but I'm sure there's many, many more who had the same sort of problem.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 01:43:35 am »
Not bad - 8 goals and 10 assists in the Championship, and 1 goal in the FA cup (a game winner that snuck in flukily - but still a goal).

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 01:55:20 pm »
And that's in 21 games. Scored two, set up two and won a penalty in the 7-0 against Reading.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oeN3m05sp-A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oeN3m05sp-A</a>

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 04:46:14 pm »
He’s good enough for a top 10 club in the PL.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 12:56:30 pm »
He’s good enough for a top 10 club in the PL.

I was surprised a Prem team didn't fancy him after his Bournemouth loan. He scored 7 goals in a team that got relegated, I was convinced at the time someone would take a punt on him. I always loved what I saw of him in the unders and was surprised he never got more of a chance here, suppose he wouldn't have really fit in our team but I like his ability. Fulham will more than likely get promoted and it'd be nice to see him impress in the PL because I've always thought he could.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 11:34:08 am »
Ten assists in the championship and Mitrovic looks like he’ll break champo goals record.  Big part of an attack that’s humming is Fernando Torres’ lost son
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2022, 09:13:16 am »
And that's in 21 games. Scored two, set up two and won a penalty in the 7-0 against Reading.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oeN3m05sp-A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oeN3m05sp-A</a>

He was involved in the first 6 goals because they scored one direct from his corner and another came from his corner. If he ends up with 15 goals and 15 assists, which looks pretty possible, he'll have merited another crack at the PL.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:14:49 am by Knight »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2022, 09:16:14 am »
Him and Mitrovic are pretty much the epitome of players who are in that horrible middle ground of not really good enough for the PL but too good for the Championship. I can't imagine he's suddenly developed the skills he was badly missing at Bournemouth but it'll be interesting to see how he does if they get promoted (I suspect same as last time but here's hoping for the sake of our sell on fee)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2022, 09:55:52 am »
He was involved in the first 6 goals because they scored one direct from his corner and another came from his corner. If he ends up with 15 goals and 15 assists, which looks pretty possible, he'll have merited another crack at the PL.
So all he'll have to do to 'get another crack' at the top level is outperform almost every Championship player in living memory? Sounds completely reasonable. I'm also not sure Fulham will mind a one-in-four scorer playing from out wide if they go up either.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2022, 10:17:09 am »
So all he'll have to do to 'get another crack' at the top level is outperform almost every Championship player in living memory? Sounds completely reasonable. I'm also not sure Fulham will mind a one-in-four scorer playing from out wide if they go up either.

Ah sorry I agree with you, I should have had a 'definitely' in there. I agree that he's good enough for the PL.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2022, 11:10:42 am »
Him and Mitrovic are pretty much the epitome of players who are in that horrible middle ground of not really good enough for the PL but too good for the Championship. I can't imagine he's suddenly developed the skills he was badly missing at Bournemouth but it'll be interesting to see how he does if they get promoted (I suspect same as last time but here's hoping for the sake of our sell on fee)
Agreed on Mitrovic, I think Wilson has elevated himself a bit more now so that he'd get along alright in the Premier League. He's clearly too good for the Championship - he's got 8 goals and 10 assists in 22 games in a side scoring 2.56 per game. Unreal. Mitrovic is bizarre, poor Striker in the PL and setting a scoring rate in the Championship never seen in modern football - he's got 27 goals in 24 games this season with 7 assists on top. You'd think that would translate reasonably to the level above but he's never been a consistent scorer in the PL. The Championship is dire this season to be fair.

Wilson is good enough for a Burnley, Newcastle, Brentford, Leeds etc.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2022, 12:18:36 pm »
Agreed on Mitrovic, I think Wilson has elevated himself a bit more now so that he'd get along alright in the Premier League. He's clearly too good for the Championship - he's got 8 goals and 10 assists in 22 games in a side scoring 2.56 per game. Unreal. Mitrovic is bizarre, poor Striker in the PL and setting a scoring rate in the Championship never seen in modern football - he's got 27 goals in 24 games this season with 7 assists on top. You'd think that would translate reasonably to the level above but he's never been a consistent scorer in the PL. The Championship is dire this season to be fair.

Wilson is good enough for a Burnley, Newcastle, Brentford, Leeds etc.

Not to forget he’s already scored 7 goals in the PL with a team who ended up getting relegated, of course he’s good enough for the PL.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2022, 12:28:05 pm »
Not to forget he’s already scored 7 goals in the PL with a team who ended up getting relegated, of course he’s good enough for the PL.

He made a great start at Bournemouth but really dropped off a cliff, and couldn't get a kick when they were desperate to stay up. Their fans will tell you the same, 7 goals in 32 games looks great on paper but he was so poor in every other aspect of the game. Its a shame as it really set him back, and more annoyingly probably cost us a good amount of money as he was obviously never going to be good enough for Liverpool.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2022, 12:50:21 pm »
He made a great start at Bournemouth but really dropped off a cliff, and couldn't get a kick when they were desperate to stay up. Their fans will tell you the same, 7 goals in 32 games looks great on paper but he was so poor in every other aspect of the game. Its a shame as it really set him back, and more annoyingly probably cost us a good amount of money as he was obviously never going to be good enough for Liverpool.

Danjuma scored 0 goals for Bournemouth in the Pl and is one of the best players in Spain this season. The fact is he scored 7 goals which is a lot more than many of the attackers who ply their trade in this league, including some of our own. He’s only got better since then and for his first season in the PL the fact he has proven he can score goals in this league goes a long way.

If you want to go through it, go and check all the wingers who play for Brentford, Leeds, Norwich, Palace, Burnley etc then come back to me, a lot of them are on par or even worse than Wilson and have had 2,3 year plus careers in this league, Wilson is good enough to get numerous games for some of these teams.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2022, 01:01:53 pm »
Danjuma scored 0 goals for Bournemouth in the Pl and is one of the best players in Spain this season. The fact is he scored 7 goals which is a lot more than many of the attackers who ply their trade in this league, including some of our own. He’s only got better since then and for his first season in the PL the fact he has proven he can score goals in this league goes a long way.

If you want to go through it, go and check all the wingers who play for Brentford, Leeds, Norwich, Palace, Burnley etc then come back to me, a lot of them are on par or even worse than Wilson and have had 2,3 year plus careers in this league, Wilson is good enough to get numerous games for some of these teams.

Throughout history there are numerous examples, probably every season, of players scoring at that sort of rate from a similar position who aren't good enough for the PL. David McGoldrick got 8 last season, Mousset got 6 when Wilson got 7, Decordova-Reid is always good for 5 a season. These are not good players.

Scoring 7 goals in the Premier League alone isn't a particularly noteworthy achievement, particularly when many other aspects of your game are sub-standard and lead to you being dropped. In fact I'd say its a pretty damning indictment that a clubs 2nd top scorer only starts two of the last eleven games of the season when you're scrapping against relegation, and in those two starts is subbed off at half time.....

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2022, 01:20:39 pm »
Throughout history there are numerous examples, probably every season, of players scoring at that sort of rate from a similar position who aren't good enough for the PL. David McGoldrick got 8 last season, Mousset got 6 when Wilson got 7, Decordova-Reid is always good for 5 a season. These are not good players.

Scoring 7 goals in the Premier League alone isn't a particularly noteworthy achievement, particularly when many other aspects of your game are sub-standard and lead to you being dropped. In fact I'd say its a pretty damning indictment that a clubs 2nd top scorer only starts two of the last eleven games of the season when you're scrapping against relegation, and in those two starts is subbed off at half time.....

Decorva- Reid has hardly shone in the championship though apart from his one season at Britstol City, go check his stats, better yet maybe you can watch a few games of him to see his isn’t on par with Wilson as far as talent goes. Mousset same thing as had one good season in Ligue 2: pretty much his whole career, still managed to have a PL career for a few seasons which is exactly what I’m arguing for Wilson btw.

Mcgoldrick 34 years of age, another player if you’ve watched doesn’t have half the talent of Wilson, really is a lower league player, wouldn’t for example have been at an academy as prodigious at Liverpool’s at 18-19.1 in 14 for Ireland, just overall a journeyman sort of player.

Also funny how you say 7 goals in the league isn’t noteworthy achievement just to down one of our former players? How many players do we currently have with more than 7 goals in the league? How many did Minamino get last season? Origi is 26 and has never scored more than 8 goals in a top league? When proving that Wilson has a future in the PL, of course the fact he scored 7 goals in his first PL season and actually had PLinterest, (I think Burnley willing to pay as much as 15m for him) is a ‘noteworthy achievement’ alongside all the other decent to great seasons he has put in the Championship at 24.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2022, 01:35:20 pm »
Like a mini Craig vs Al thing this Harry Wilson feud
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2022, 01:47:56 pm »
Decorva- Reid has hardly shone in the championship though apart from his one season at Britstol City, go check his stats, better yet maybe you can watch a few games of him to see his isn’t on par with Wilson as far as talent goes. Mousset same thing as had one good season in Ligue 2: pretty much his whole career, still managed to have a PL career for a few seasons which is exactly what I’m arguing for Wilson btw.

Mcgoldrick 34 years of age, another player if you’ve watched doesn’t have half the talent of Wilson, really is a lower league player, wouldn’t for example have been at an academy as prodigious at Liverpool’s at 18-19.1 in 14 for Ireland, just overall a journeyman sort of player.

Also funny how you say 7 goals in the league isn’t noteworthy achievement just to down one of our former players? How many players do we currently have with more than 7 goals in the league? How many did Minamino get last season? Origi is 26 and has never scored more than 8 goals in a top league? When proving that Wilson has a future in the PL, of course the fact he scored 7 goals in his first PL season and actually had PLinterest, (I think Burnley willing to pay as much as 15m for him) is a ‘noteworthy achievement’ alongside all the other decent to great seasons he has put in the Championship at 24.

I don't care how many current players we have with more than 7 goals in the league Coolie ;D It isn't a noteworthy number (and we're barely halfway through a season....). Same as I wouldn't look at the aforementioned players and say 'Look at David McGoldrick, he got 8 league goals, thats impressive'. A goal every 4 and a half games for an attacking player isn't something that's going to make me sit up and take notice, and it clearly wasn't for Wilson either because....well, here we are.

If those 7 goals had been partnered with excellent performances, like the likes of Mount, Gallagher etc, then its noteworthy. But again, they weren't. They were partnered with a really poor all round game, to the point that he was relegated to the bench for a team fighting for their lives. He's essentially had four full senior seasons, three of them really good in the Championship and one of them pretty poor in the Premier League. Thats tells me that, certainly up to this point (and he's nearly 25), he's been a Championship level player and it remains to be seen if he has the ability to go any higher.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2022, 02:39:31 pm »

Lord knows how you rationalise you’re examples , Mount didn’t  play with a club like Bournemouth in this league, Mounts first season in the PL was with Chelsea and Gallagher first season was with West Brom and ok, but nothing special. It’s this season his second season where he has really shone, both of your examples will probably end up top 4 players anyways, Wilson probably won’t but he still good enough to have a good career in this league.

But anyways let’s agree to disagree, just find it a bit odd you’re always the first one to comment about the lad with some type of back handed compliment, it’s proper odd and you’re the only poster in here doing so.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2022, 02:45:47 pm »
Lord knows how you rationalise you’re examples , Mount didn’t  play with a club like Bournemouth in this league, Mounts first season in the PL was with Chelsea and Gallagher first season was with West Brom and ok, but nothing special. It’s this season his second season where he has really shone, both of your examples will probably end up top 4 players anyways, Wilson probably won’t but he still good enough to have a good career in this league.

But anyways let’s agree to disagree, just find it a bit odd you’re always the first one to comment about the lad with some type of back handed compliment, it’s proper odd and you’re the only poster in here doing so.

Because they're players of a similar age (when Wilson was in the PL), similar position and similar amount of goals. I thought it was pretty obvious, but its to demonstrate that 7 goals alone in a season doesn't mean a huge amount. There are players who scored more who aren't PL quality, players who scored less who absolutely are. You need to look beyond the very first layer of stats, and with Harry in the PL he wasn't good at all. Whether that changes if/when he gets another crack at it, only time will tell. But so far he's a player who has shown his quality in the Championship and nowhere else (he's dropped off a cliff at international level too after a good start).

Its just a bit of a habit though, I think ironically from when you were telling everyone he was technically better than Salah and Mane and people felt they needed to add some realism to the conversation!