Author Topic: The Athletic  (Read 25083 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: The Athletic
« Reply #200 on: January 20, 2022, 01:25:16 pm »
On this one, Lamonti's post on it is really helpful I reckon.
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=351228.msg18135009#msg18135009

It is indeed. Ta for linking to it! Needs reading.

It’s a shame the Athletic and Simon Hughes go down the path of clickbait, that article of his today though is also a rather vicious hatchetch job on Klopp making some play about the fact he’s helped the vaccination drive in Merseyside being a reason he can ‘get away with saying stuff’, and that seems to be his very unnecessary and rather dodgy angle to take. The weird comment about Kloppo and Matt McCann having lived together made me laugh mind - I mean, what the fuck is the reason for saying that?  ;D

The whole thing to me is utterly bonkers though, as there is no need for this negative dissection of the club and it’s manager, considering what has happened around other games being postponed for what seemed like genuinley cynical reasons/ways.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #201 on: January 20, 2022, 01:29:24 pm »
It seems insane that Liverpool getting a game put back a week - while losing home advantage -  has become a grand conspiracy including Rick Parry and Kenny's daughter, while other clubs (including tonight's opponents) are getting games called off without even having Covid cases.

The Athletic choosing to run this story on the morning of the second leg has turned it back into a story and conspiracy, rather than write an article previewing the match itself.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2022, 01:40:34 pm »
We really need to ban outlets/dickhead journo's who use us as clickbait or stitch us up evreytime.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2022, 01:48:24 pm »
We really need to ban outlets/dickhead journo's who use us as clickbait or stitch us up evreytime.

Imagine if they stitched up Ferguson like that.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2022, 02:01:59 pm »

This is where I struggle with it Samie - Si Hughes and a few others were such a help the club at the point where it really needed help, and it just doesn't sit right to be talking about banning them when they're just trying to do their job. I said it this morning about Stu Brennan - we slag Man City and its fans off for him being their PR mouthpiece (alongside others), and the Newcastle thread title supports the right for journalists to do their job... but is it only if they act as an extension of the club's PR department? Big Jurgen's not the type to ban people, is he?

I dunno - some journalists (even some who were as helpful as they possibly could have been around the time of H&G) can be sensationalist, but this is a case where the club invited scrutiny isn't it? They're not alone in that category, and it's a pain to have to see negative coverage, but... I dunno. I'm going on and on about it - the article gets my goat too, but he's one journalist amongst a few I'd trust to report a story in good faith.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2022, 02:11:19 pm »
Its a pretty sensitive subject to use to have a pop at the club though. I imagine there wouldn't be quite the uproar if it was about James Milner not being as good as he once was.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2022, 02:23:50 pm »
Not defending Simon Hughes but I think we could've handled this better from a PR perspective. Of course Jurgen would say something in a second language that wouldn't quite convey exactly what he was thinking, but the club could've gotten out a story quickly through favourable journos saying this is what really happened and Jurgen misspoke.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2022, 02:25:45 pm »
The footballing authorities have to take the lion share of the blame and fall-out for this whole episode though.  No specific guidance on the level of transparency needed during the COVID related difficulties.

The Athletic are just desperate for subscriptions and are using the biggest name (us) in the game to make it happen.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2022, 02:35:58 pm »
Not defending Simon Hughes but I think we could've handled this better from a PR perspective. Of course Jurgen would say something in a second language that wouldn't quite convey exactly what he was thinking, but the club could've gotten out a story quickly through favourable journos saying this is what really happened and Jurgen misspoke.

Definately. And  I’m sure the club are looking into this right now and there will be ramifications. By failing to nip this in the bud, they’ve allowed a gutter journo from a tabloid click-bait publication, which is what the Athletic is now, to run 2 stories in the past two weeks, first the ‘investigations’ one which nothing came from because, well, it was BS, and now this, on the back of it.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2022, 02:36:22 pm »

surely not
Can't believe LFC are falling down on the quality of their PR  ;D

Seriously though it's bugged me for years, but at a time when so many aspects of the club both on and off the pitch a first rate, the PR is bloody awful.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2022, 02:39:40 pm »
This is where I struggle with it Samie - Si Hughes and a few others were such a help the club at the point where it really needed help, and it just doesn't sit right to be talking about banning them when they're just trying to do their job. I said it this morning about Stu Brennan - we slag Man City and its fans off for him being their PR mouthpiece (alongside others), and the Newcastle thread title supports the right for journalists to do their job... but is it only if they act as an extension of the club's PR department? Big Jurgen's not the type to ban people, is he?

I dunno - some journalists (even some who were as helpful as they possibly could have been around the time of H&G) can be sensationalist, but this is a case where the club invited scrutiny isn't it? They're not alone in that category, and it's a pain to have to see negative coverage, but... I dunno. I'm going on and on about it - the article gets my goat too, but he's one journalist amongst a few I'd trust to report a story in good faith.

I get your point mate but it doesn't matter what he did previously, he's being a c*nt now.

Ever heard the saying "your best friend can become your worst enemy"?  :D

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2022, 03:19:10 pm »

I wouldn't have a problem with the article if it came out last week. It goes without saying the club have made a PR mess of dealing with a situation (plus ca change).

It's an old story though, everyone moved on (Arsenal had their own postponement in the headlines) and then Hughes rehashes the whole thing now on the morning of the second leg with a huge piece. It even drags Kenny Dalglish into it.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2022, 03:22:37 pm »
surely not

Seriously though it's bugged me for years, but at a time when so many aspects of the club both on and off the pitch a first rate, the PR is bloody awful.

There's been avoidable shitstorms with FSG every year since they've been here, just resulting from poor PR/communication.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #213 on: January 20, 2022, 03:24:48 pm »
surely not

So, what you're saying is, we should get Jen Chang back in as our PR guy  ;)
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2022, 03:32:27 pm »

;D
Exactly, some proper PR

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2022, 12:05:30 am »
I've never subscribed to The Athletic, but I've read a few articles now and then. Quite apart from the dubious content and the clickbaitery issues, the quality of writing and subbing has often been really poor, as it is throughout news media these days. For that reason alone I can't get myself to pay for it.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2022, 12:34:45 am »
Storm in a teacup that'll be forgotten now that Arsenal have been dumped out, and not exactly a great advertisement for The Athletic, which is looking like it offers the same quality level of other publications but with a subscription fee plastered on top.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2022, 07:03:48 am »
I've never subscribed to The Athletic, but I've read a few articles now and then. Quite apart from the dubious content and the clickbaitery issues, the quality of writing and subbing has often been really poor, as it is throughout news media these days. For that reason alone I can't get myself to pay for it.

The year we won the league it was a quality paper, there were some brilliant articles. But recently it’s gone down hill don’t know if it has to do with being brought so maybe they are changing how they write.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2022, 12:41:56 pm »

Ah the heady days of Jen Chang and Kenny Huang
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2022, 12:45:35 pm »
The year we won the league it was a quality paper, there were some brilliant articles. But recently it’s gone down hill don’t know if it has to do with being brought so maybe they are changing how they write.
The acquisition was only announced last week and the New York Times is hardly a tabloid. I quite like The Athletic because it has more in-depth insider coverage than anywhere else, but I could do without lengthy articles on what a partcular pass in a match 'means'. It's far above the coverage on any other football website or newspaper sports section.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2022, 12:45:44 pm »

It's more quantity over quality now. You get bombarded with stuff on there when you go on it, and a lot of it is clickbait. You're still getting good pieces but you're wading through shite to find it.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2022, 12:48:46 pm »
It's more quantity over quality now. You get bombarded with stuff on there when you go on it, and a lot of it is clickbait. You're still getting good pieces but you're wading through shite to find it.

What do you mean, look at the quality of the comments on the latest Diogo Jota article:

https://theathletic.com/3073436/2022/01/20/diogo-jota-is-so-much-more-than-just-a-fox-in-the-box/

Keith L. 5h ago 43 likes
James I've never found you more attractive than I do this morning. Wembley baby. Up the *******reds you sexy kangaroo.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2022, 02:07:01 pm »
What do you mean, look at the quality of the comments on the latest Diogo Jota article:

https://theathletic.com/3073436/2022/01/20/diogo-jota-is-so-much-more-than-just-a-fox-in-the-box/

Well, quite.

Pearce is more of a chipmunk than kangaroo.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2022, 03:03:33 pm »
Well, quite.

Pearce is more of a chipmunk than kangaroo.
He's a wallabe, sorry, wannabe, kangaroo
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2022, 09:29:27 am »
There are only so many "Player was good at youth level but didn't make it and now he's rebuilt his career playing for Gainsborough Trinity" articles I can read.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #225 on: May 20, 2022, 06:43:15 am »
(ironic posting this on a forum I gladly donate to)

Til they get rid of the comments under articles, I will never again subscribe

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2022, 07:09:23 am »

my take on it, it appeared at first to have well written/researched articles by well placed journalists

the vibe i get now is well placed journalists are mouth pieces for clubs

could be totally wrong as over the years i've been selective in what i read from TA but where once it seemed to reek of journalism, it now reeks of sanitisation
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2022, 07:49:59 am »
(ironic posting this on a forum I gladly donate to)

Til they get rid of the comments under articles, I will never again subscribe

Not being facetious here but you can always just…not read the comments. I used to get locked in to arguments in comments sections on various sites with what amounted in most cases to be WUMs and trolls so I just stopped going there. Did wonders for my mental health!
Believer

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2022, 05:02:56 pm »
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 05:11:14 pm by BER »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2022, 06:12:31 pm »
https://defector.com/the-nyt-owned-athletic-lays-down-new-no-politics-rule-for-staff/

No journalism allowed.

first rule about the Athletic is don't talk about the Abu Dhabi/Dubai/Saudi Arabia/Qatar

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2023, 04:09:49 pm »
Sam Lee relaxing his throat for Guardiola and their hideous ownership again.

Plus the BTL comments are children arguing now. It'll be following Vice and Buzzfeed into receivership sooner or later.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2023, 06:22:41 pm »
@DerekBodnerNBA
"...shifting away from having one beat reporter per sports team to broader coverage."

One of reasons I had interest in building out @TheAthleticPHI was because mission statement was to staff if with local experts in their sport. Really disappointing.

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/1668283924479369217

Referring to this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/12/business/media/the-athletic-layoffs.html

The Athletic is dead, courtesy of the New York Times. Well done!
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 8, 2023, 11:22:25 am »
Another day, another article blowing smoke up Guardiola's hoop because his half a billion of defenders can rotate positions.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 8, 2023, 11:34:47 am »
I gave up on Athletic last year, cancelled the subscription. From being apparently fiercely independent in its views on football, to blowing smoke up the arses of sportswashing clubs like City and Newcastle, with little acknowledgement of the fact that their success is dependent on illegal billions rather than the mythical genius of Guardiola or, heaven forbid, Eddie Howe.

It's nothing more than a glorified tabloid. Even James Pearce and Simon Hughes (whose books I think are great) aren't immune to a bit of sensationalism with regards to us.

The only writer I have some respect for is Adam Crafton. Man Utd writer but seems his morals and principles are in place when it comes to the seedy aspects of the game today.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2023, 06:07:15 pm »
I gave up on Athletic last year, cancelled the subscription. From being apparently fiercely independent in its views on football, to blowing smoke up the arses of sportswashing clubs like City and Newcastle, with little acknowledgement of the fact that their success is dependent on illegal billions rather than the mythical genius of Guardiola or, heaven forbid, Eddie Howe.

It's nothing more than a glorified tabloid. Even James Pearce and Simon Hughes (whose books I think are great) aren't immune to a bit of sensationalism with regards to us.

The only writer I have some respect for is Adam Crafton. Man Utd writer but seems his morals and principles are in place when it comes to the seedy aspects of the game today.
Is it worth saying that putting a . before the / and after the com often renders things readable - for the occasional article that is...

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2023, 06:29:27 pm »

That Simon Hughes hit piece on us over the Academy player was disgraceful.

It's weird that the journos covering other clubs just write puff pieces and are partisan (which is a big problem with the Athletic itself) but then some of the ones covering us are constantly attacking the club and Klopp's certainly no fan.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2023, 06:41:55 pm »
Just a deplorable rag, isn't it.

The reporters covering us are a disgrace.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2023, 06:43:45 pm »
The Pathletic.
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2023, 07:20:28 pm »
I've never found Hughes or Pearce to be 'disgraceful' or 'constantly attacking the club'. Both descriptions seem just a BIT sensationalist.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 15, 2023, 01:12:41 pm »
Klopp is really sick of James Pearce, that’s what I am getting again from his press conferneces :lmao  Diggint at him again today, some comment about ‘sources’, seems to suggest he makes a lot of shit up? But we know that anyway....