Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 524687 times)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Michael Edwards and the Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #1480 on: December 16, 2021, 01:22:38 pm »
Right, which is why I'm saying hopefully this doesn't lead to an exodus or I would have just said Ward is in charge and that's that.  The club outwardly is confident so for now probably best to leave it at that.

Mark Leyland head of post-match and elite player development analysis has agreed to join Newcastle.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1481 on: December 16, 2021, 01:36:07 pm »
Mark Leyland head of post-match and elite player development analysis has agreed to join Newcastle.

Is this the guy that was allowed to leave and begin work immediately even though we play Newcastle today? 

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1482 on: December 16, 2021, 01:39:04 pm »
Is this the guy that was allowed to leave and begin work immediately even though we play Newcastle today?
Been in the job a year after the previous person left as well.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/leyland-promoted-to-head-of-post-match-analysis-by-liverpool

It's really nothing beyond normal career progression and likely replaces from within again

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1483 on: December 16, 2021, 02:19:38 pm »

As Klopp said in his press conference, there's no secret about the way Liverpool play so they don't think it's a problem.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1484 on: December 16, 2021, 07:31:37 pm »
As Klopp said in his press conference, there's no secret about the way Liverpool play so they don't think it's a problem.

Exactly.  Plus.....it's all part of being a good employer.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1485 on: January 18, 2022, 10:22:57 am »
Liverpool and FSG braced for key departure as new appointment looms

Liverpool commercial director Matt Scammell is set to join Formula E

Liverpool commercial director Matt Scammell is to leave the club to take up a new role as chief commercial officer of Formula E, according to reports.

Scammell, who joined Liverpool as commercial director in the summer of 2020 having previously been at Manchester United, is set to become COO for the electric racing series later this week, according to SportBusiness.

His departure comes just a week after the Reds moved to hire former Sevilla head of sponsorship and Roc Nation executive Michael Higham to the new post of partnership development director, tasked with building on the strong commercial growth that Liverpool have seen in recent seasons.

Scammell is set to replace Olivier Brémont at Formula E, where the new season begins at the end of this month, after the former Red Bull executive left the role of COO in November.

Scammell will link up with Formula E chief executive Jamie Reigle, a man who he worked under for three years when Reigle held the position of commercial director at Old Trafford.

In his time at Liverpool Scammell has aided the growth of the Reds' commercial revenues through sponsorship additions such as SJ Johnson, and speaking exclusively to the ECHO last year he revealed that despite the challenges of the pandemic on revenue streams that the commercial performance for the 2020/21 accounting period, which has not yet been released by the Reds, could well kick on from the £217m that was delivered in last year's accounts after a number of deals, including Nike, Expedia and AXA made their presence felt.

Whoever comes into the role moving forward will be tasked with increasing the number of commercial partners further and driving forward the opportunities that the Reds believe lie in new technologies as they seek to keep pace with the commercial might that the likes of Manchester City have flexed, where they have moved into new markets.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fsg-braced-key-departure-22785660
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1486 on: January 18, 2022, 10:28:52 am »

That line about Man City and new ventures is a joke.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1487 on: January 18, 2022, 12:52:12 pm »
That line about Man City and new ventures is a joke.

New markets  :D

Is that going from Abu Dhabi to Dubai looking for sponsors?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1488 on: January 18, 2022, 06:54:00 pm »
New markets  :D

Is that going from Abu Dhabi to Dubai looking for sponsors?
I am liking the cut of your jib. How does £150k PA and 5% of any deals secured sound?. Can you start this week?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1489 on: January 19, 2022, 11:11:21 am »
That's a blow, did stellar work at United and it was a real coup getting him from them, to leave us so quickly is disappointing.

Well in his short time here we'll see another jump in our commercial revenues, big shoes to fill whoever is next in the role.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #1490 on: January 20, 2022, 04:17:02 pm »
That's a blow, did stellar work at United and it was a real coup getting him from them, to leave us so quickly is disappointing.

Well in his short time here we'll see another jump in our commercial revenues, big shoes to fill whoever is next in the role.
Think his old boss just turned his head and Formula E is an interesting opportunity. I'm sure we'll replace him adequately as someone like that who comes in usually leaves an impact that can be replicated and indeed expanded on.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1491 on: January 28, 2022, 11:29:26 am »
Just reading about a potential big deal for Luiz Diaz - who I know nothing about but is reputed to be a 'big name' signing - got me wondering.

Where have we got the money from? I genuinely believed we were a bit strapped for cash no? Any financial gurus that could enlighten me about our club finances would be grand!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1492 on: January 28, 2022, 11:35:38 am »
Just reading about a potential big deal for Luiz Diaz - who I know nothing about but is reputed to be a 'big name' signing - got me wondering.

Where have we got the money from? I genuinely believed we were a bit strapped for cash no? Any financial gurus that could enlighten me about our club finances would be grand!
We were never strapped for cash, that was the Doomsayers, our owners were being prudent in uncertain times with a Pandemic and no matchday income and eventual losses.

Turnover results last listed a year ago had £470 million and 5th highest in football.

Now things are looking Rosey, economic recovery, vaccines working and turnover going back to 100%, the owners saw fit to unleash some funds for Diaz.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #1493 on: January 28, 2022, 11:36:52 am »
Apparently it was meant for summer but they hastened due to spurs and prob other clubs’ interest. So the money was there. And they usually stagger these payments well don’t they. Edwards and co. We’ve had a great transfer team in place haven’t we. Hopefully that continues after edwards’ departure. As much as I would like the owners to invest more whilst we have the truly ‘generational’ klopp, and I think they should, but they have done a great job when it comes to structures at the club. Their history in sport prob helps. Henry and co have good heads on them. Put good people in place, Mike Gordon. I mean these things aren’t givens, you can have rubbish people like the guy at yer nited. Things trickle down from the top. Get the top right and it’ll go right eventually. Look at Everton, the top isn’t right atm. Anyway klopp says so and i trust him and the results also show
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1494 on: January 28, 2022, 11:48:47 am »

FSG have a really good track record on such appointments.  A new person with new ideas, it will be interesting to see what the new person comes up with.  It felt like we lacked that dynamism during the reign of David Moores and we lost so much ground on Man U during that period.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1495 on: January 28, 2022, 11:52:37 am »
Move over laptop Eddy, Macbook Jules is in town.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #1496 on: January 28, 2022, 12:17:09 pm »

My mates gran went to buy a macbook air cos she wanted something to read facebook on etc. The tech guy persuaded her to get a linux laptop cos its "open source". So now this poor old biddy is sitting at home with her tea and biscuits trying to get her head around ubuntu. 

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1497 on: January 28, 2022, 12:34:03 pm »
Did you gain that impression from reading stuff here? Esp. in the so-called transfer thread?

Nobody knows anything. People just construct elaborate fantasy scenarios to explain contingent reality to themselves. Perhaps the best way of getting near to something like the truth is to ignore every 'opinion' vouchsafed by fans, especially those who seem annoyed, entitled or impatient.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #1498 on: January 28, 2022, 12:39:31 pm »
Did you gain that impression from reading stuff here? Esp. in the so-called transfer thread?

Nobody knows anything. People just construct elaborate fantasy scenarios to explain contingent reality to themselves. Perhaps the best way of getting near to something like the truth is to ignore every 'opinion' vouchsafed by fans, especially those who seem annoyed, entitled or impatient.
Yep.

It's of no interest for a football club to brief about having money to spend. Idle chat on forums ends up being construed as the reality as opposed to just speculation.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #1499 on: January 28, 2022, 01:16:42 pm »

was probably reading too many Asam posts
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #1500 on: January 28, 2022, 01:25:08 pm »
was probably reading too many Asam posts

Should have been hitting the weights

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1501 on: January 28, 2022, 01:54:38 pm »

I really hope that this name sticks

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1502 on: January 28, 2022, 05:05:08 pm »

No no, i t wasn't from any doom mongers here, it was that financial thread on twitter (that guy who's an expert in football finances, can't remember his name). It's not a complaint or a moan, it was just an observation that I thought was fact and we had to accept and find ways around it. Strapped for cash sounds a bit presumptuous I admit, more accurately I thought we were being more prudent.

He was saying something like how our greater success led to much greater wages and less for transfers or something like that. Something like the outlay being quite extravagant so the income was sort of diluted because of that? I've probably grossly misinterpreted it as I'm useless at all this financial talk.

Not complaining if prudence was the strategy, I don't want us to become unsustainable financially (we all know how that ends...). Just that I'm a bit surprised they had the cash to spend this winter.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 05:07:26 pm by mattD »

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1503 on: January 28, 2022, 05:50:18 pm »
No no, i t wasn't from any doom mongers here, it was that financial thread on twitter (that guy who's an expert in football finances, can't remember his name). It's not a complaint or a moan, it was just an observation that I thought was fact and we had to accept and find ways around it. Strapped for cash sounds a bit presumptuous I admit, more accurately I thought we were being more prudent.

He was saying something like how our greater success led to much greater wages and less for transfers or something like that. Something like the outlay being quite extravagant so the income was sort of diluted because of that? I've probably grossly misinterpreted it as I'm useless at all this financial talk.

Not complaining if prudence was the strategy, I don't want us to become unsustainable financially (we all know how that ends...). Just that I'm a bit surprised they had the cash to spend this winter.

It was from a Swiss Ramble thread in regards to why our Net Spend was low in comparison to our rivals. People act like we've been making £500m a year for a decade or longer when in reality it's just been the last couple of years and for every pound gained it was matched by a pound spent so our generated cash flow was low. But that doesn't mean the money itself doesn't exist.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #1504 on: January 28, 2022, 05:54:27 pm »
My mates gran went to buy a macbook air cos she wanted something to read facebook on etc. The tech guy persuaded her to get a linux laptop cos its "open source". So now this poor old biddy is sitting at home with her tea and biscuits trying to get her head around ubuntu.
:lmao

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1505 on: January 28, 2022, 07:16:43 pm »
It was from a Swiss Ramble thread in regards to why our Net Spend was low in comparison to our rivals. People act like we've been making £500m a year for a decade or longer when in reality it's just been the last couple of years and for every pound gained it was matched by a pound spent so our generated cash flow was low. But that doesn't mean the money itself doesn't exist.

It is easy to spend every pound, though. All you do is create an inter-company loan with a variable repayment, and then any excess money goes back to FSG.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1506 on: January 28, 2022, 07:17:20 pm »
Who put a pound in Al tonight?

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1507 on: January 28, 2022, 07:20:40 pm »
Who put a pound in Al tonight?

37 seconds it took you to reply, hope you are on a good overtime rate.   ;D ;D
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1508 on: January 28, 2022, 07:37:54 pm »
Craig is getting old back in his prime that would be under 15 seconds.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1509 on: January 28, 2022, 07:49:34 pm »
Craig is getting old back in his prime that would be under 15 seconds.

With the Baseball lock out, FSG have had to make budget cuts. Craig has had to go back to dial up internet.  ;)
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1510 on: January 28, 2022, 08:06:48 pm »

Hahaha holy shit that’s perfect IT guy behavior. Also, Ubuntu is legit hard to pickup.  Hilarious
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #1511 on: January 29, 2022, 03:37:33 am »
With the Baseball lock out, FSG have had to make budget cuts. Craig has had to go back to dial up internet.  ;)
Didn't they recently buy a hockey team though?

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #1512 on: January 29, 2022, 07:25:18 am »
If we can create a good commercial model then it’s quite possible to compete against the state funded teams also. Frankly Mancs should have been competing for the title based on spending and that holds for last 10 years. Accounts  don’t reflect current status. As of today, Liverpool is rapidly catching up to new commercial avenues and capitalising on those. The challenge is we have distributed telecast revenues. That helps city and newcastle as it negates our main differentiating revenue stream. Even so, we should be growing the commercial revenue massively in next 2-3 years. When klopp leave we should have a very competitive balance sheet to buy players required.

What will matter is how we spend. The players coming out from academy and smart buys like say carvalho will enable us to compete. We don’t buy superstars and that’s a corporate policy. Unless it’s a real exceptional case we will never buy an Mbappe or a Ronaldo. Salah, Mane, Fabinho and Konate are the sort of transfers we do and will continue to do. So I really sympathise with the fans who expect the marquee signings. We should really appreciate that the club is well run. Some will always find business owners distasteful, that probably distills down to a more inbuilt distaste they have towards businesses in general. We should always be wary but collaborating with owners to achieve success, putting a red flag in front of the gate and protesting is a negative cycle. Thank god some of our fans are sane.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 02:09:33 pm by mercurial »
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1513 on: January 29, 2022, 09:57:30 am »
Hahaha holy shit that’s perfect IT guy behavior. Also, Ubuntu is legit hard to pickup.  Hilarious

;D This was a few years ago now but I often think about her. Hope to Christ they’ve replaced it with an iPad or something.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1514 on: January 29, 2022, 10:12:09 am »
"as they seek to keep pace with the commercial might that the likes of Manchester City have flexed, where they have moved into new markets."

Surely this is a fucking joke?
What new markets, your despotic owners back pocket?

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1515 on: January 29, 2022, 02:39:22 pm »
;D This was a few years ago now but I often think about her. Hope to Christ they’ve replaced it with an iPad or something.

The bit about her just wanting to use fbook….and he’s pushing her to Linux.  The machine needs to be pure, and only Linux represents purity!  YOU WILL LEARN COMMAND PROMPTS YOU OLD CHEESE
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1516 on: January 29, 2022, 02:43:58 pm »
Has Macbook Jules made any deals today?

No?

Get him out.

Offline The Test

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1517 on: January 29, 2022, 05:04:10 pm »
The bit about her just wanting to use fbook….and he’s pushing her to Linux.  The machine needs to be pure, and only Linux represents purity!  YOU WILL LEARN COMMAND PROMPTS YOU OLD CHEESE

poor old dear... shes out there somewhere... learning code.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1518 on: January 29, 2022, 05:08:08 pm »
poor old dear... shes out there somewhere... learning code.

She probably accidentally entered the Matrix. She may now know it though.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1519 on: January 29, 2022, 05:34:58 pm »
"as they seek to keep pace with the commercial might that the likes of Manchester City have flexed, where they have moved into new markets."

Surely this is a fucking joke?
What new markets, your despotic owners back pocket?

I think it means the Abu Dhabi Central Market. I believe it's very popular for those wishing to buy City shirts with over 1m sold from various stalls last year.