Author Topic: #SHANKLY100... my mate, "The luckiest LFC fan in the world."  (Read 8208 times)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
#SHANKLY100... my mate, "The luckiest LFC fan in the world."
« on: August 20, 2013, 02:13:06 pm »
Someone's said this long before me. I suppose, it's a bit of a cliché, but... The assassination of John Lennon, First Man On The Moon, they're the moments I remember, exactly where I was and what I was doing. We've all got them, Rome, Istanbul, Birds and Babies, getting chased and shot at by Crack Heads for the first time, and all them treasures. But for all of us there at the time, Bill Shankly retiring was one of the biggest of all them moments.

All of us that were about at the time, have got our own, “Oh, no. It's really true, Shankly's retired,” memories and stories. I've got nothing new to add to them. I haven't got any original tales from his career, either. But, of course, I've got my own Shankly stories. This is one, in a roundabout way...

A couple of years back, I bumped into a lad I hadn't seen for ages. I wish he was telling the story. He's in his early late 60's. Funny lad, great character, proper red, Boys Pen graduate, got more Liverbirds on him than an Avery, but he wasn't a week in week out, match going fella. Life and it's circumstances, got in the way. But, starting in the 1950's, Some Team Or Another v Liverpool Football Club, no matter where, two bob in his pocket or not, if he was at liberty to go, or sometimes not, he was there.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles, from Tbilisi Georgia to George of Asda, Newcastle to New Year, he's been to some gaffs and got hilarious tales about them all. I'd tape them, only the old bastard would accuse me of selling them or working for MI6, CID, FSG, or some other shady agency or another.

There'll be lads on here who know him. Me and the wife have known him for 30 odd, knocking on 40, years. But we hadn't seen him in a couple of them. No excuse. He only lives a few miles away. But you know how that goes. He didn't. Terrible bollocking, the pair of us, for not coming to see him.

He was in a mobility scooter. So, I didn't call him any names back or say, You know where ours is. He's alright, but he's got some breathing thing going on. And the places he needs are a fair walk from his gaff. (Leave the bloody Post Offices and Libraries alone, Cameron, yer horrible robbing prick. You could learn a thing or two million from Shanks). So, anyway, the scooters handy for getting out and about. But he's far from knackered. Never mind dig me for implying it, he'd dig me just for talking about him on here. Fuck him. (For the PC amongst us, I'd best say, he'd get a laugh out of that).

Anyway, me and her are going somewhere and bumps into him. Bollocking, happy hellos, bit of a laugh over, we go back to his. Tea and biccies, her an him, on the couch, talking family things, his health, her health, the dog and it's wife’s health, everyone's business, the price of Rum and all that shite. Then, the pictures come out, “Go'way, is tha' her. Aged, woeful hasn't she, eh?” “Oh, remember that time when....”  They had a laugh strolling down memory lane.

As they're going through them, I spots a picture. There was a big pile. It near dodged through unnoticed. But I thought it was. So I grabbed it, and it was... him, our mate, about 30 years ago, kneeling next to a headstone with his name on it and a big smile on his face. For all the time I'd known him, I knew nothing about it. So I had a proper look at the headstone... Two Liver Birds, one either side of his name, and, underneath that, his date of birth and a blank space for when he shuffles off.

It's not the Shankly story, but he tells me about the headstone. Well, I asked him if it's real, and said, “Bit morbid that, isn't it?”
This is, more or less, his words... “Behave yerself, Soft Lad. Cost wads tha', even back then. An' I kopped it, Liverbirds, the works... next ter fuck all, nothin'.”

I think digging them up is bang out of order, an all. So, any complaints, take them up with the church or the council, or Tesco, or whoever does that crap. But long one short...
Me mate's walking past some grave yard, headstones were being dug up and carted off. He gets into the lads digging them up, bought one, got the first owners details shaved off and he's own put on... “Already got the plot, Lad, family one, had it for yonks.”

I'm laughing. He starts pulling out all sorts of memorabilia and telling match stories. Great stuff, but the pictures... well, from me teens on, I always remember being bang on tidy, the handsomest lad to ever go on The Kop, proper smart and trendy. All I can say is, some woefully dodgy gobs, teeth, clobber and haircuts around back then... I've seen some ugly Scousers in me time, but that Oink Peterson takes the biscuit.” (Aul punchline of an aul joke for the aul arses).

He pulls a draw out the sideboard and puts it on me knee. I'm flipping throw wads of great LFC and Liverpool memories. Me mate starts pulling things out of envelopes, tickets from mad games in far flung places, with fantastic lies and brilliant stories to go with them all. It was great, a real treat, proper laugh. I can never leave it that long, again.

Anyway, I spots this little newspaper clipping from The Echo and start reading it. The headline is, my mate's name and calls him “The Luckiest Liverpool Supporter In The World.” And it says, The Great Man Shanks gave him a ticket to get into the 1971 FA Cup Final, Liverpool v Arsenal.

Me mate tells the story. He'd hitch hiked down from Liverpool the night before...
“Didn't have a carrot, La'. She's kickin off, callin' me all sorts, kids drivin her mad, snuck out the house, murder, kill me when Ah get back.”
Next morning, nice and handy, but not a penny, he made his way to the team hotel. He's got the Final Echo in his arse pocket. It's got a big colour picture of the team, middle pages. He gets himself in the hotel somehow and lurks about, walking round swerving hotel staff, looking nonchalant, hiding, all that caper.

The Lads come down for breakie. Made up, me mate opens the Echo to the picture, holds it up and walks over... “Alright Lads, we'll batter dese terday, eh?”

Hotel staff come over to turf him out. But before me mate kicks off on them, Shanks chases them and...
“Have you got a ticket, Son?”
“No, Bill. I haven't gorra carrot, either, hitched down last night, me bird'll kill me, blag-blah-blag.”

In the Echo clipping, it says Mister Shankly gave him a ticket. Me mate...
“Did he bollocks. He sold it to me at face value, and warned me... he knew the seat number, in case I sold it an' bunked in.”
“Go'way. Did he? How much was it?”
“A fuckin' nicker! The aul mingebag.”

I never bothered asking where he got the nicker from. And I'd leave it there if it was just aul arses reading it. They know what Shanks meant to lads like us. He still does. Cliche again, but my mate loved Shanks like a Father. So did I. We all did. But the older I get, the more I realise, how lucky I am that a bit of my time crossed with Mister Shankly's. And I've no doubt, Shanks would have got a bit of a giggle out of that little story, himself. One of us, but a Giant. We call him The Great Man. I can't add to that, either.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:39:05 pm by MichaelA »
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: SHANKLY 100... my mate, "The luckiest LFC fan in the world."
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 02:21:25 pm »
Great read that FS.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 02:52:23 pm »
Capturing read, you have a great writing style - thanks for sharing.

Wish a bit of my time had crossed with that great man.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 02:55:57 pm »
Wonderful writing.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 02:57:53 pm »
really enjoyable read, thanks fs
YNWA

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 02:58:20 pm »
Loved reading that FS... this site needs more of your stories

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »
Lovely stuff, thanks mate.
Yep.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:09:20 pm »
Shanks was 'one of us', we worshiped him and called him 'The Messiah' and gave praise at his feet and at times we felt like he was a God or a Saint  as we worshiped him from the Kop but he was a human being and that made his achievements all the more extraordinary because he couldn't click his fingers and zap Liverpool to the top of the leauge. He did it by hard work, made mistakes and learnt from those mistakes as he corrected them. And the paradox is that his real honest down to earth ordinaryness made him all the more extraordinary and Fat Scouser's story captures that beautifully.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 07:05:52 pm »
Too short, could read these all day.

That was brilliant, thanks.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 07:49:39 pm »
Too short, could read these all day.

He's right FS, but it was brilliant, loved it.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:17:15 pm »
Criminal i know but i've only just got round to reading 44 Years With The Same Bird. Just started it tonight & read the early chapters from when he was a lad and it's a great insight into that decade or so that us Paisley-era Reds always wish we'd been around for (despite the fact we were spoiled rotten by Bob and the boys). Best compliment i can pay to FS is that that was seamless, like reading some more of Brian Reade's brilliant book. Can't get enough of this Shankly 100 stuff. It goes way beyond the football.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:28:59 pm »
Captivating and wonderfully told story, FS. Thank you.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 08:30:27 pm »
Thanks folks. It's always a pleasure to speak about Mister Shankly. I honestly loved the man and still do. In fact, this is a bit weird. But my growing disaffection with football today, is down to the love of it Bill instilled. Probably doesn't make any sense that, but I'm sure most can understand what I mean, especially the people that Shankly reared and taught in the Liverpool Way.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
  • We Are The Legionnaires Expect Us.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 08:33:36 pm »
Boss read that FS.
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:36:36 pm »
Great read FS. He was the leader of our red army and we walked through walls and over turney's to worship him and his team. For me it was always him first, the rest second
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:00 pm »
Lovely reading that Leo,I must have been the second luckiest supporter at the 71 final,13 at the time stood outside with me dad, at ten to three no tickets,fella taps me dad on the shoulder & asked if we wanted 2 tickets,recognised him as Syd Owen who was Don Revie's assistant at Leeds,yes we had to pay for them as well,face value £1-50 Arsenal end..Lucky enough to be going to the dinner at the Hilton the day after the united game next month to celebrate the great mans life,can't wait to see & maybe meet some of my 70's heroes including my all time favourite Jimmy Case!!

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 09:29:35 pm »
Great read Leo.

Sure I've heard that story of Shankly sorting a final ticket for a potless lad. A nicker though? Haha. Still, a memory of a lifetime and a priceless story.

87:13

Pheeny

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 09:42:13 pm »
Cracking read.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 09:55:19 pm »
It's when you read things like this that you realise that without FS around that we won't get pearls like this one. Fab read mate
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 11:23:48 pm »
Fuckin brilliant. Thanks FS!
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 11:52:30 pm »
Great stuff and a writing style that paints a true picture of how it happened.

Thanks
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 12:54:44 am »
cheers Leo, I enjoyed reading that.

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 01:26:06 am »
Great story. I was about 5 years old when Mr Shankly came to Liverpool and the man had such an aura about him, that he genuinely was like a father to me and thousands like me. At the time I thought I felt that way because I was such a young lad, but it didn't  take me long to realise that age had nothing to do with it, as blokes of all ages felt exactly the same.
I am 58 now sitting here typing as a large photo of the great man stares down at me from the living room wall.
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 01:44:20 am »
What an evocative tribute to a fabulous Memory for your mate FS.

I was a kid when Paisley took over and grew up with him as my leader, I missed Shanks but my Dad always spoke of him in the most reverential terms, I grew up knowing he was a Gentlemen and a legend

That's a great story, thanks for sharing.

Offline all-white-red

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 03:53:31 am »
Couldn't help but read that in my head with a Scouse accent, felt like you were right beside me telling the story. Great.

And thanks.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:34 am »
Thanks folks. It's always a pleasure to speak about Mister Shankly. I honestly loved the man and still do. In fact, this is a bit weird. But my growing disaffection with football today, is down to the love of it Bill instilled. Probably doesn't make any sense that, but I'm sure most can understand what I mean, especially the people that Shankly reared and taught in the Liverpool Way.

Me too mate, I know lots and lots of people who love him still. I'm struggling a bit with the modern game and LFC in particular. Great piece Leo
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
Re: #SHANKLY 100... my mate, "The luckiest LFC fan in the world."
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 09:59:27 am »

Me too mate, I know lots and lots of people who love him still. I'm struggling a bit with the modern game and LFC in particular. Great piece Leo
Strugling myself Vic- Nice story Leo
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Lee_no8

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:38 am »
Thanks for sharing that, really good read,
Il Liverpool si riprende la Champions a Istanbul: gil bastano i 6 minuti di follia rossonera

Milan nell’incubo

Da 3-0 a 3-3, poi Dudek e i rigori frumano la beffa del secolo

La Gazetta dello Sport

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:19 am »

Thank you, Vic. I was a bit worried about bringing down the father in law to human being status. Albie's comment summed it up. For all the glitz and hype of the global-kick-ball-entertainment-industry, give me Bill saying it straight and Bob strolling round in his cardie and slippers, saying nothing, any day over what we've got now.

I don't want to be to jaundiced, or go all moral, but imagine Bill going to Anfield, walking in The Boot Room and getting an ice cream with a sparkler in. He'd probably be more disheartened by that than the shithole he took over. Mind you, there again, he'd probably clear the gaff in seconds flat and start again... like I said, just one of us, a working man but a Giant.

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 06:12:49 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to write that FS, I really enjoyed it.  It's vitally important that stories like that get told today, and no better man to tell them.  You've got a really great story telling way that just draws in the reader.  Thanks again.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

royhendo

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 08:06:33 pm »
Wonderful writing.

A proper treat.

Thank you mate, I loved this.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 08:14:11 pm »
killer post big man and a treat to read

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 05:56:54 pm »
killer post big man and a treat to read

Agreed, thanks for sharing this story, Leo :wave

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 06:40:57 pm »
Thank you, Vic. I was a bit worried about bringing down the father in law to human being status. Albie's comment summed it up. For all the glitz and hype of the global-kick-ball-entertainment-industry, give me Bill saying it straight and Bob strolling round in his cardie and slippers, saying nothing, any day over what we've got now.

I don't want to be to jaundiced, or go all moral, but imagine Bill going to Anfield, walking in The Boot Room and getting an ice cream with a sparkler in. He'd probably be more disheartened by that than the shithole he took over. Mind you, there again, he'd probably clear the gaff in seconds flat and start again... like I said, just one of us, a working man but a Giant.

His first week on the job and he threatened the board he would report them to the Health people and have Anfield closed, he said he wouldn't let his dog use the toilets.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: #SHANKLY100... my mate, "The luckiest LFC fan in the world."
« Reply #34 on: September 2, 2013, 11:27:51 am »
taken the day off work to have a Shankly stories day, couldnt of started with a better one FS ,brilliant read