Author Topic: Rafa: we can adapt to any formation  (Read 120900 times)

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
Rafa: we can adapt to any formation
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:14:09 pm »
Rafael Benitez believes he has a squad that is capable of adapting to any formation and said the acquisitions of Philipp Degen and Andrea Dossena will make the team stronger in the wide areas.

The Reds boss said he has an idea about various formations he will use during the forthcoming season, and it is likely he will experiment with that during the pre-season programme which kicks-off against Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

"We want to use two or three systems during the season," said Benitez. "The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts.

"At the beginning of last season we were doing well with 4-4-2, so if the players can read the game and understand things, then it's easier to change the system.

"Now we have more options at full-back, with Degen, Finnan and Arbeloa on one side and Dossena, Aurelio and Insua on the other. We have players with different qualities.

"You can't use too many systems - two or three maximum - and the key is to teach the players how to adapt to each system.

"We will continue looking for good players but not necessarily a 'proper' winger. We'll look for good players and maybe adjust the system. Don't forget, we have some very good players here already, players we have signed over the last 12 months.

"We knew we were creating a lot of chances last season but everybody was talking about the wide areas. If you go to the market and want to sign a top-class right-winger, they will be in the top sides and the price will be crazy. To sign two full-backs with an offensive mentality can give us more quality out wide."

Meanwhile, new boy Dossena said he can't wait to get started and is concentrating on trying to adapt to the English game as quickly as possible.

"Even from training, I realise English football is different," said the Reds number two. "It's all about possession and the ball seems to move quicker.

"There is also a great determination among the players in training, but these are all qualities that are characteristic of me too. In this way, I feel half English, half Italian.

"I have been very impressed with the facilities and also with the very good atmosphere in the dressing room.

"The talks I have had with Benitez have mostly been about tactics. He has explained that he wants a four-man defence but that the most important thing is that the balance on the pitch is never broken. There must be balance between the left and right-backs.

"Of course I’ll feel very strong emotions when I wear the shirt at Anfield for the first time but after the first few seconds these will be replaced by a focus on what I am doing.

"I must admit I enjoyed their win over Inter Milan in the European Cup last season, and I definitely believe this team can challenge for the title. I believe Liverpool played the best football in Europe last season."

The left back also believes his move to Anfield can only help his international ambitions with Italy.

"The Premier League is followed and it will be up to the national manager to watch the players abroad," he added. "I am aware, though, that I am at the most prestigious team in England. There are other players who play abroad who are getting caps, like Luca Toni."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 01:16:46 pm by stevensr123 »
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rafa: we can adapt to any formation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:19:19 pm »
Got a great feeling about Dossena, and next season in fact.

It's around about now the heart takes over the head and I start thinking the prem and CL double next year is a dead cert!

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:21:35 pm »
Got a great feeling about Dossena, and next season in fact.

It's around about now the heart takes over the head and I start thinking the prem and CL double next year is a dead cert!

groundhog day
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline fernandofowler9

• Legacy Fan
  • God said their would be goals and their were goals
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:25:28 pm »
We could adapt even more if we had some fooking wingers !!!
Nothing had changed in my routine, except that when I went down the chippy and got me special fried rice, it would be wrapped in a newspaper that had my picture all over it - Robbie Fowler

Offline klobutruck33

• Anny Roader
  • MELLORRRRRR!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:26:49 pm »
I'm happy he mentioned Insua, hopefully he gets more chances to play next season,
He's only on loan,
he's only on loannnn,
Rafa Benitez,
he'll be coming back home!

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:54:48 pm »
Will this give pause for thought to those who keep saying "with the 4-2-3-1 system we will now always play..."? Will it fuck.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 02:00:30 pm »
Will this give pause for thought to those who keep saying "with the 4-2-3-1 system we will now always play..."? Will it fuck.
Ha ha spot on. There are hordes of them out there on RAWK, many of whom will backtrack faster than a rat up a drainpipe. The whole "we won't go for Villa as it will disturb the delicate, untoucheable, and holy 4-2-3-1 formation" and "Rafa's vision is 4-2-3-1 same when he was at Valencia" ::)
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 02:09:31 pm »
4-4-2...feck no. I hate that format as its......over to you Rafa " At the beginning of last season we were doing well with 4-4-2, so if the players can read the game and understand things, then it's easier to change the system."

Feck me. Now I have to rip up my ideas about football again to keep in step with Rafa. Bugger.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline markay_stinkay

• Legacy Fan
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Bet £50, get £50 free
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:28 pm »
"Rafa: we can adapt to any formation.....but will predomintely play 4-2-3-1" ;)

Offline Evo1975

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 02:34:41 pm »
id like to think our back 4 will be be solid as they have been, especially with the choice we have, and with the added bonus of the full back actuall gettin forward being productive.

if the future transfers come off that we think/hope we'd have barry and Monster in the holding midfield with barry gettin forward where possible as he does (one of the reasons i belive raffa's been so keen to get him on board insted of alonso), the nando up top with a selection of 3 playing behind him, weather that be Gerrard, Keane, Silva, or Bable, Dirk, Yossi etc

the good thing is most of our midfielders can interchange and play on either flank as i suppose Nando can when he drops deep, he certainly has the pace.  i think, hope he'll stay with the same formation but it wont be as rigid up the front with all 4 players moving and draggin defenders all over the place and creating space (its a similar way the Man Utd play, an if im being honest, play it well, with pace attacking from all angles).  as long as our movement is good, we'll have pace all accross the middle, i think its looks good, im gettin a good feeling about the possibilites of this team.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:36:18 pm by Evo1975 »
Come on you mighty fucking red men!

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 02:46:17 pm »
Ooh goody.

Well I'll look forward to that, y'know, 3 or 4 months in to the season when we have 15 point gap between ourselves and the top spot.

Every sodding season.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline boybetterknow

• Kemlynite
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 04:24:39 pm »
Its good we have got players that can play several roles.  Means we dont have to play 4-2-3-1 against the lesser sides and come away with a draw!

I can see us predominantly using the 4-2-3-1 formation next season though, maybe changing it for certain matches if rafa sees soemthing in the opponent we can benefit from if we change formation.  Reason i say 4-2-3-1 is because of Torres - he seems to play best on his own, or with someone that isnt an out-and-ot striker, e.g. Torres and villa playing flat wouldnt suit Torres.  Villa would have to drop off behind Torres alot, which i dont think he enjoys, and there is no point making Torres drop off as he is best on the last man.  Keane on the other hand plays in behind the striker, like he deos alot with berb. 

Recent proof Torres is better on his own - Torres best two games in euros were when Villa was injured.  Admittedly Fabregas was on in both occosions, which suits Torres play more, because Fabs plays mor direct, but still it benefitted him being the only striker.
Still
   V
  I Trust Rafa

Offline vader90

• Legacy Fan
  • The eternal optimist - Everything happens for good
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 04:28:31 pm »
Fuck Rafa. As someone else said, no damn fan can second guess bloody Rafa. Damn. Why did he have to say this? And I was thinking that he will only make the 4-2-3-1 look interchangeable in the match nad this guy comes out and says he will change formation at will and more so when players are more adjustable. Grrrrr.
Roll up, roll up for the Liverpool FC circus, in town every fucking week.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 04:31:06 pm »

"Now we have more options at full-back, with Degen, Finnan and Arbeloa on one side and Dossena, Aurelio and Insua on the other. We have players with different qualities.

I like the way he is speaking about Insua in the same breath as Arbeloa or Finnan.  Insua looks set for a lot of appearances next season, good lad.
I also like the way I picked up on a totally separate issue within this thread without even making comment on formations.

Offline boybetterknow

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 04:46:20 pm »
Fuck Rafa. As someone else said, no damn fan can second guess bloody Rafa. Damn. Why did he have to say this? And I was thinking that he will only make the 4-2-3-1 look interchangeable in the match nad this guy comes out and says he will change formation at will and more so when players are more adjustable. Grrrrr.

Why such anger about the comment??
Still
   V
  I Trust Rafa

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 04:54:22 pm »
Insua looks set for a lot of appearances next season, good lad.

I think he'll get a few only, unless Dossena turns out to be crap and Aurelio is injured a lot. Dossena is our most expensive defender ever at 7m, and he was bought to play left-back. Behind him we have Fabio, who is one of the best left-backs in the world when fit and on form.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline boybetterknow

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 04:54:51 pm »
I dont think the formation matters, just the players on the pitch, provided there is a balance.

Dont need an out and out winger personally.

As long as we play 4-2-3-1 we dont need an out-and-out winger your right.  Our width will come from the full backs and occasionaly babel on the left and kuyt or whoever on the right.  We need an attacking mid player more who can play slightly wide.  to be honest Keane would be a very good signing!  As would barry for the Balance.
Still
   V
  I Trust Rafa

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 04:58:40 pm »
if we get keane we could end up playing  4132
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 05:13:05 pm »
Think we'll play a lot of 4-2-3-1 next season, but 4-4-2 on occassions as well.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 05:13:37 pm »
Ooh goody.

Well I'll look forward to that, y'know, 3 or 4 months in to the season when we have 15 point gap between ourselves and the top spot.

Every sodding season.
Defeatist. And over a formation too, not even a player or two.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 05:23:57 pm »
its gunna be interesting who rafa brings in to replace crouch, would really fucking love it if it is robbie keane, can see him doing really well for us, he should be playing in the champs league.

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 05:24:04 pm »
Not sure why people think this is a bad thing.  I completely trust Rafa to know when and how to utilize each formation available.  Tactical flexibility is, after all, one of the things he most wants to drill into his players.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 05:26:13 pm »
"You can't use too many systems - two or three maximum   ??? ;D

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 05:28:30 pm »
Not sure why people think this is a bad thing.  I completely trust Rafa to know when and how to utilize each formation available.  Tactical flexibility is, after all, one of the things he most wants to drill into his players.

and so he should,
rafa will look at all the costly draws from last season and will be working on ways to turn them into 3 points, we do need to be tacticaly flexible.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 05:55:57 pm »
Defeatist. And over a formation too, not even a player or two.

It's the same story every season. We end well with a settled formation, and then alter it and Gerrard's position in the summer, and always end up off the pace come winter. 5th season and I don't think we've started two in a row using the same formation, just with better personnel.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 06:02:35 pm »
People get bogged down with formations and numbers. Too much. The mancs won the title without playing with a focal point of attack/striker for most of the season. Reason being is that Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Scholes etc. are all good enough and intelligent to play in a variety of attacking positions. That and they had the best left back in the country.

We need to be the same and that's why we've outgrown Crouch and he's moved on. I think thats why Rafa loves these "wide forwards" also. A 3 of Babel, Gerrard and Keane with Kuyt/Benayoun around the squad, a class LB (Which dossena will hopefully be) and Barry who will get into the attacking third of the pitch more than Xabi, can hopefully move our attacking play onto a new level.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Britvic Orange

• Bitter lemon
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 06:17:41 pm »
Better get use to even more rotation next season, Benitez saying he wants to use two or three different formations suggests we are in for another season of tinkering and worrying about what the opposition is going to do first,  thankfully it's Benitez last season in charge and hopefully a new manager will be brought in who will believe in the traditions of our club of letting the opposition worry about us first.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 06:18:40 pm »
People get bogged down with formations and numbers. Too much. The mancs won the title without playing with a focal point of attack/striker for most of the season. Reason being is that Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Scholes etc. are all good enough and intelligent to play in a variety of attacking positions. That and they had the best left back in the country.

We need to be the same and that's why we've outgrown Crouch and he's moved on. I think thats why Rafa loves these "wide forwards" also. A 3 of Babel, Gerrard and Keane with Kuyt/Benayoun around the squad, a class LB (Which dossena will hopefully be) and Barry who will get into the attacking third of the pitch more than Xabi, can hopefully move our attacking play onto a new level.
Well said.
Re:Formations, Of course the team needs to be able to play more than 1 formation. What if things are working out in a particular game.Hardly controversial.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 06:33:12 pm »
Better get use to even more rotation next season, Benitez saying he wants to use two or three different formations suggests we are in for another season of tinkering and worrying about what the opposition is going to do first,  thankfully it's Benitez last season in charge and hopefully a new manager will be brought in who will believe in the traditions of our club of letting the opposition worry about us first.
Yeah. I think Alan Curbishley is that man.

Offline markay_stinkay

• Legacy Fan
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Bet £50, get £50 free
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 06:33:21 pm »

Controversial.

Currently our formation brings the best out of our 2 best attacking players. On the odd occaisson it may have to change due to injuries/suspensions/chasing a late goal etc. but I don't see why a settled formation is bad thing.

Offline Britvic Orange

• Bitter lemon
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 07:12:13 pm »
Controversial.

Currently our formation brings the best out of our 2 best attacking players. On the odd occaisson it may have to change due to injuries/suspensions/chasing a late goal etc. but I don't see why a settled formation is bad thing.
Am sorry Steven Gerrard will never be a forward or link man in my book no matter what formation.

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »
thankfully it's Benitez last season in charge and hopefully a new manager will be brought in who will believe in the traditions of our club of letting the opposition worry about us first.

already got him fired without a ball being kicked this season.. its this kind of 'support' i personally think we could do without.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 07:21:12 pm »
Am sorry Steven Gerrard will never be a forward or link man in my book no matter what formation.
He was in the second half of last season, and to great effect too.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 07:25:38 pm »
You might be fishin' here, but I'll ask anyways. He ain't a link-man even after 19 assists and 20-some-odd goals? He provided the ammunition for the latter-part of last season as a second-striker and what glorious results- we lost twice?
Racking up goals galore and sealing games with a title-winning form and efficiency.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 07:29:22 pm »
He bleddy put the likes of Rooney and Keane to pure, unadulterated shame.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 07:56:09 pm »
we dont need wingers
we now have full nacks who can get up and support the side midfielders for overlaps etc.

we have 2 holding midfielders to cover counter attacks with us being short.

tacticaly we have goten round not having wingers imo
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2008, 07:58:01 pm »

He already was a brilliant link man last season. Sorry
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline lvcjmac

• Legacy Fan
  • Pennsylvania Kopite
    • Local Internet Marketing
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2008, 08:08:38 pm »
Its good we have got players that can play several roles.  Means we dont have to play 4-2-3-1 against the lesser sides and come away with a draw!

Not sure how often that actually happened last year?

4-2-3-1 wasn't the formation we were playing during our dismal November/December/January spell.  We adopted it around the Inter game and rode it through the balance of the season.  Our form over the last 3-1/2 months was best in the prem.
18 time English Champions | 5 time European Champions | 3 UEFA Cups | 7 FA Cups | 8 League Cups

Offline lvcjmac

• Legacy Fan
  • Pennsylvania Kopite
    • Local Internet Marketing
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 08:12:18 pm »
Formation can be overrated.  It's the players on the pitch that really matter.

I'm not even sure I could tell you what formation the Scum have played over the past two seasons while winning the league.

It's a 4-5-1 as best as I can tell, that sometimes looks like a 4-3-3, sometimes a 4-2-3-1, and maybe even a 4-1-3-2.  Those top players in their formation (Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs, Scholes, etc.) all seem to play all over the pitch throughout a match. 
18 time English Champions | 5 time European Champions | 3 UEFA Cups | 7 FA Cups | 8 League Cups

Offline Britvic Orange

• Bitter lemon
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 08:20:08 pm »
He was in the second half of last season, and to great effect too.
if you have one of the best midfielders in the world why play him in a position he is nowhere as effective in, he might of got away with it against the poor to weak teams but playing in the more advanced position against the big three towards the end of the season he struggled to have an impact.