The Liverpool FC Forum > The History Board - 1892 to 1994

On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories

(1/1073) > >>

Rafa_La:
ON THIS DAY 11 SEPTEMBER 2004

Liverpool beat West Bromwich Albion 3-0 in their 2,000th league game thanks to goals from Steven Gerrard, Steve Finnan and Luis Garcia

What do you recall of this day?

Apart from it also being the anniversary of 9/11 over the pond, what were your thoughts of the team then?
Again in the history of the Club a time of change was happening.

Veinticinco de Mayo:
So any auld arses in who would like to talk us through the 4-1 defeat at Preston on this day in 1937.

For reasons other than the football the game that stands out for me on this day was the Boavista game in 2001.  After the days events only 30,000 people turned up for a game with a subdued atmosphere that ended in a 0-0 draw.  Owen scoring for Liverpool. 

I should remember that 2004 game but it totally eludes me.

Fat Scouser:
I've got that aul fella's thing going on. I can remember games from the 60's better than I can last week. I remember being a young lad, sitting on the wall, behind the Kop goal when we played Dundalk. I think I was only about 40 at the time. We battered them 10 - 0. I was so thick I thought we should smash every team we played 10 nil. Then I looked in a few after match threads on here, and realised nothing's changed.

Veinticinco de Mayo:

--- Quote from: Fat Scouser on September 11, 2011, 03:55:57 pm ---I've got that aul fella's thing going on. I can remember games from the 60's better than I can last week. I remember being a young lad, sitting on the wall, behind the Kop goal when we played Dundalk. I think I was only about 40 at the time. We battered them 10 - 0. I was so thick I thought we should smash every team we played 10 nil. Then I looked in a few after match threads on here, and realised nothing's changed.

--- End quote ---

That, apparently, was Gerrard Houllier's first Liverpool game.  He was on the Kop that day along with Patrice Bergues.

Fat Scouser:

--- Quote from: Veinticinco de Mayo on September 11, 2011, 04:04:33 pm ---That, apparently, was Gerrard Houllier's first Liverpool game.  He was on the Kop that day along with Patrice Bergues.

--- End quote ---
Didn't know that. But I honestly was that daft, I thought we'd batter everyone in the same manner after that. And if me memory serves me right, we got walloped next game. In fact, I think Leicester knocked us out the FA Cup. I can't be arsed checking, but I think that's right. Doesn't matter if it isn't, I'll just believe it anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version