Author Topic: Stranger Things - Use Spoiler Tags  (Read 93036 times)

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Stranger Things - Season 2 Out Now - Use Spoiler Tags
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 03:09:05 pm »
Binged this Sunday and yesterday. Fantastic show. Awesome acting from all the kids and Ryder is superb. Hopefully we'll see a 2nd series.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 03:12:39 pm »
You can laugh, but love WILL set you free  8)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 03:40:07 pm »
How many episodes is this?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 03:46:35 pm »
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2016, 05:05:56 pm »
8...8 glorious episodes. ;D

Nice one. Might give it a rattle tonight and see how it goes
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2016, 05:10:02 pm »
Not spoilers but just watched episode 3 and the room got a bit dusty, totes emosh.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2016, 05:10:16 pm »
Superb stuff. Did half expect Scarlett Johansson to turn up in some of the scenes. Ryder and Eleven were the stand outs.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2016, 05:13:52 pm »

Spoiler
Eleven is still alive as the Chief put waffles in that box?
[close]

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2016, 05:15:14 pm »
Nice one. Might give it a rattle tonight and see how it goes
I put on the first ep after we got back from dinner at the restaurant....around 10 pm...I went to bed 8 episodes later. ;D

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2016, 09:55:19 pm »
Got killed by a spoiler in one of the titles in here so I could work out what was going to happen...

Good series. Not brilliant but good enough to binge.

Didn't like Winona but hope she can use this to rebuild her career. Nancy kept distracting me because she's clearly anorexic and I kept thinking what the actress's life would be like. Having said that, the entire cast was good, kids 'n all.

Solid 7.5

ps enjoyed Shanara Chronicles, hope they can up the quality and keep that one going.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 11:31:53 pm »
This is a cracker so far.
Nancy kept distracting me because she's clearly anorexic and I kept thinking what the actress's life would be like.
One of the first things I noticed and I can't shake it every time I see her. The worst part about it is her character is the "hot one" like it's something to aspire to.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 03:28:00 am »
First series in a while I've binged watched. So many great aspects. The acting is top notch for a cast of mainly kids.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2016, 06:17:52 am »
Thought it fell apart at some point around episode 5. I had been loving it till then but I found the last couple of episodes a struggle to finish.

I agree with this.

Three or four episodes in I was telling all my friends to watch it. Around the second half of episode five I realised I wasn't as enthralled.

Like Super 8, I think it unraveled a bit in the last act because it didn't quite know how to do it.
Spoiler
David Harbour was really good, and the kids were great. I thought Winona Ryder pretty much overacted the whole time though. She reminded me of Keira Knightley in.. well everything she's in. Just a little too manic, all the time. She needed one or two moments of calm to give the character a little less one dimensional.

I also thought the Nancy/Jonathan/Steve love triangle was fairly ordinary, and basically had no payoff.

They clearly intend to have a second season, with the three bits they left at the end. The story's not really going to end with Will still infected by the slug thing, is he?
[close]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:20:08 am by Redcap »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2016, 08:26:02 am »
Finished it the early hours of this day. To be honest, last time I posted here was after having watched the 4th episode and while I had enjoyed it by then, I had serious fears of unraveling in the next ones. Thankfully that didn't happen imo and was mainly down to the very beautiful last episode.

Thought it was a very good culmination that triggered quite a range of emotions. Add to that, the great acting of all the kids with a favourite of mine, Dustin, the 80's feeling, its soundtrack and the way it was shot and it was a success. Totally agree with redcap about Ryder's acting. Was gonna post that she was decent at times but also suffered from overacting way too often.
Also liked the balanced dose of when to be serious and funny.

PS: Honestly and because I liked (at times loved) what I saw, I wouldn't want a second series mainly because I believe it would lose a bit of magic. Just leave it there even with some questions unanswered (like why they were doing these things under creepy guy's commands). I know there will probably be another season to show more and explain things but that's just my preference.

Over and out
Spoiler
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2016, 09:17:18 am »
Finished it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Can't believe people are dissing Winona, I thought she was fantastic. Yes she was very manic but I thought that was justified seeing as, erm, all the stuff going on was extremely strange and difficult to cope with for a mother that already had previous anxiety struggles - it wasn't really as if she was completely 'normal' to start with.

The kids were all exceptional, I thought they got the casting perfect as if any one of them had been annoying it could have ruined it, instead they were totally believable.

I even developed a soft spot for Steve by the end!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2016, 10:14:42 am »
Dustin is even boss in a suit :D

Still surprised to see Winona split people, thought she was spot on but she's always been a bit divisive.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:18:02 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2016, 01:26:03 pm »
Wino Forever!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2016, 02:32:41 pm »

Still surprised to see Winona split people, thought she was spot on but she's always been a bit divisive.

Nothing about her past performances. Just at times she was too much. That's all.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2016, 08:05:26 pm »
I put on the first ep after we got back from dinner at the restaurant....around 10 pm...I went to bed 8 episodes later. ;D
;D
I'm not sure I loved it as much as the rest of you but its deffo a 'must see next episode asap' series.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2016, 08:09:17 pm »

Watched one episode on Monday, then got home yesterday from work and watched 7 episodes from 5pm to 12pm.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2016, 10:39:54 pm »
I am in agreement with those who say it is a good show but not a great one. I don't know, I am just not into horror type shows, and this one at least in parts is just that. You see the same brainless mistakes made in every horror movie.

But it is still a good show, so I would recommend it without getting the hopes too high.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2016, 02:57:34 am »
Did anyone find the endless flashbacks to be a bit cheesy?

I don't know if it's meant to be referential (I don't think I'm across as Stephen King as some), but I really thought they'd end by the episode 8. But no, they kept coming.

Small whinge, like.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2016, 09:13:04 am »
Up to episode 6 now and it's getting better and better.

Would love to see a Season 2
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2016, 09:14:01 am »
Did anyone find the endless flashbacks to be a bit cheesy?

I don't know if it's meant to be referential (I don't think I'm across as Stephen King as some), but I really thought they'd end by the episode 8. But no, they kept coming.

Small whinge, like.

Nah - they are a decent plot device - you explain stuff without derailing the plot

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2016, 09:45:05 pm »
Synth soundtrack. 🔥🔥🔥Worth the Netflix subscription on it's own this month.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2016, 09:46:46 pm »
I am in agreement with those who say it is a good show but not a great one. I don't know, I am just not into horror type shows, and this one at least in parts is just that. You see the same brainless mistakes made in every horror movie.

But it is still a good show, so I would recommend it without getting the hopes too high.
It might be a tad boring if they did the sensible thing....you know. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2016, 09:47:56 pm »
;D
I'm not sure I loved it as much as the rest of you but its deffo a 'must see next episode asap' series.
Watched one episode on Monday, then got home yesterday from work and watched 7 episodes from 5pm to 12pm.
Easily the most bingeable show for a while. ;D

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2016, 06:56:35 pm »
very good but staying true to my nickname (Negative Nancy Ginger Beard) i have a few nits to pick:

Spoiler
the constant nods to eighties themed stuff was somewhat overbearing and heavyhanded, especially the film posters in the background.
it feels like Winona doesnt do anything other than stay high strung, which while understandable, starts to grate a bit.
the steve romance subplot feels contrived and pointless
matthew modine has pretty much been wasted, he has gotten a few scenes that he makes use of but hes pretty much just a prop in establishing shots, looking around from afar etc
why there is only one monster but not many is kinda weird also how exactly the rift was opened, 11 just touched the monster and it started to open in the lab? weird.
also, why the hell could nancy pop in and out of the other realm so easily?
the evil bully kids were so over the top its embarrassing, held a knife to another kids throat in order to make another kid jump off a cliff ? and then they ran to their mommy all pouty about having their arm broken by a telekinetic..
[close]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:58:27 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2016, 08:38:51 pm »
Finished it

Spoiler

Found the last episode really sad :(   The girl that played Eleven is an amazing actress. Sometimes coming across as a little timid, vunerable girl and sometimes coming across as a blazing terrifying iconic entity. And the little lad, Will, suffering in silence at the end as he's part of two worlds was quite moving.

The direction, lighting, mood, real-looking locations, characters, interactions, storyline and plot additions and twists were brilliant to see.

Loved it through and through. I'm wondering if series 2 will feature the same characters or will have an entirely different setting and storyline.

So many inferences and story lines; Half Life, HP Lovecraft, AD&D, Second Sight. F.E.A.R, Bioshock, IT, The shining and it goes on and on and on.

Wonderful. A heartfelt 10/10.

[close]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2016, 11:30:27 pm »
very good but staying true to my nickname (Negative Nancy Ginger Beard) i have a few nits to pick:

Spoiler
1. the constant nods to eighties themed stuff was somewhat overbearing and heavyhanded, especially the film posters in the background.
2. it feels like Winona doesnt do anything other than stay high strung, which while understandable, starts to grate a bit.
3. the steve romance subplot feels contrived and pointless
4. matthew modine has pretty much been wasted, he has gotten a few scenes that he makes use of but hes pretty much just a prop in establishing shots, looking around from afar etc
5. why there is only one monster but not many is kinda weird also how exactly the rift was opened, 6. 11 just touched the monster and it started to open in the lab? weird.
7. also, why the hell could nancy pop in and out of the other realm so easily?
8. the evil bully kids were so over the top its embarrassing, held a knife to another kids throat in order to make another kid jump off a cliff ? and then they ran to their mommy all pouty about having their arm broken by a telekinetic..
[close]

I agree with a lot of this. In particular points 2, 3 and 8.

I loved the 80s nostalgia trip in the first four episodes or so but it got a little tired by the end, which is why I don't know if a second season will work well.

Spoiler
I don't think it was unusual that Nancy got into the upside down. She got in and out once, and she's a bit older and more able to get around than Will, obviously. Also she knew where the portal was that brought her into the upside down. I'm not sure that Will did.
[close]

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2016, 11:33:37 pm »
just watched episode 1 and enjoyed it , will watch some more this week
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2016, 01:42:00 am »
Spoiler
[close]

;D

love this show.

apparently there will be a season two.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2016, 08:03:28 am »
Mike's father is possibly one of the worst fathers ever depicted. The guy couldn't care less for his kids let alone anything else. I know he's supposed to be like that and Mike's sister said so (or along the lines) to Jonathan but take for example one of the last scenes

Spoiler
His kid is saved and the fucker talks to the medics instead of hugging his son for example. Awful. 
[close]

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2016, 08:12:00 am »
So good. My daughter whined when I put it on, but kept wanting to watch "one more".

It's got the teenage girl seal of approval, The Clash and my wn teen crush (Winona) in it. 
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline SnookerStick

• Main Stander
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2016, 08:17:20 am »
Just finished it last night, would love to get hold of the soundtrack. Really good little show.

Anyone else think Mike looks exactly like Shelley Duvall...
"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life."ť

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2016, 11:18:36 am »
Just finished watching it. Thought it was really good. Looking forward to the second season. Does anyone know if it'll be the same cast, or will it be completely different characters with a different story line?

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2016, 12:08:04 pm »
Just finished watching it. Thought it was really good. Looking forward to the second season. Does anyone know if it'll be the same cast, or will it be completely different characters with a different story line?

The producers have said they envisage an ongoing series featuring the same characters.
https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stranger-things-finale-duffer-brothers-interview-season-2-1201816664/
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2016, 12:28:12 pm »
The producers have said they envisage an ongoing series featuring the same characters.
https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stranger-things-finale-duffer-brothers-interview-season-2-1201816664/

Cool. Look forward to it.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2016, 01:37:51 pm »
What kinda nerd reads Variety...oh, hang on. ;D

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2016, 01:56:32 pm »
Binge watched it this weekend, great show.

Spoiler
the constant nods to eighties themed stuff was somewhat overbearing and heavyhanded, especially the film posters in the background.
it feels like Winona doesnt do anything other than stay high strung, which while understandable, starts to grate a bit.
the steve romance subplot feels contrived and pointless
matthew modine has pretty much been wasted, he has gotten a few scenes that he makes use of but hes pretty much just a prop in establishing shots, looking around from afar etc
why there is only one monster but not many is kinda weird also how exactly the rift was opened, 11 just touched the monster and it started to open in the lab? weird.
also, why the hell could nancy pop in and out of the other realm so easily?
the evil bully kids were so over the top its embarrassing, held a knife to another kids throat in order to make another kid jump off a cliff ? and then they ran to their mommy all pouty about having their arm broken by a telekinetic..
[close]

The 80's stuff was done perfectly IMO and wasn't heavy handed at all. Yeah, there were some direct reference to certain things but what was more impressive was the vibe and the atmosphere and they nailed it. I think I would've found it got old pretty quickly if all it was was that but it was a pretty great story in it's own right too which didn't drag as it could well have done with this type of show.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.