Author Topic: The Larry Sanders Show  (Read 14348 times)

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Larry Sanders Show
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2011, 01:43:05 pm »
Just started watching this. Saw the first season and I'm hooked. You can see where writers of contemporary shows like "Entourage," "Curb Your Enthusiasm" or "30 Rock" got the inspiration.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Chaztastic

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »
Just started watching this. Saw the first season and I'm hooked. You can see where writers of contemporary shows like "Entourage," "Curb Your Enthusiasm" or "30 Rock" got the inspiration.

Just started watching? I envy your position on the Larry curve.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: June 4, 2011, 02:51:13 am »
I'm on season 5 of this right now. I've loved it for years, only having seen a video of "The Best of the Larry Sanders Show" which only had five episodes. Then a few years ago, in a local record shop, I found "Not Just the Best of the Larry Sanders Show". Someone had traded it in. It has 23 episodes on it from various seasons.

I finally got the full boxset for my birthday (The actual box is shite. It's not wide enough to comfortably fit all the cases, so when it's full you have to crowbar all the fuckers out to get to the one you want. Also has the problem inside the cases where half of them, the discs don't stay on the little grips and you almost always have a disc falling out when you open it. Annoying box) and I'm making my way through now AT LAST.

I fucking love this show. Hank Kingsley seems to get the plaudits from most people, but Artie is my hero. The finesse with which he steps in to deflect shit away from Larry is astounding. And his effortless bullshitting of guests and network execs is delightful.

Offline Operation Hennessey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #123 on: July 5, 2011, 07:28:04 pm »
Great show, finally watching it properly (up to season 4) after only having caught the odd episode here and there. Tambor and Rip Torn are superb.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: July 5, 2011, 07:33:43 pm »
Great show, finally watching it properly (up to season 4) after only having caught the odd episode here and there. Tambor and Rip Torn are superb.

You couldn't be more correct.

Season 5 spoiler
Spoiler
I think one of the funniest things I ever saw was the Ellen episode, during the break when Artie comes up and butters up Ellen telling her how funny she was, when he says the line "I not only pee'd me pants, I shat them." :lmao Kills me every time.
[close]

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #125 on: July 4, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
Always wanted to get round to watching this properly and finally am via Netflix. Superb piece of television, Artie and Hank are just brilliant

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #126 on: July 4, 2012, 08:16:11 pm »
Always wanted to get round to watching this properly and finally am via Netflix. Superb piece of television, Artie and Hank are just brilliant
Hey now.........

This show was one of the best show's in the 90s,only bettered by Seinfeld for me.

BBC 2 had this,Seinfeld and Duckman on after each other,and scheduled them to start after Newsnight at 23.10.

Idiot's.The 3 funniest show's of the 90s on at that time.Moronic programming.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #127 on: July 4, 2012, 08:18:55 pm »
Yep that's where I caught little bits of it when I was younger, occasionally catching it on its shite time slot on bbc.
Was always tough to find to download too so am glad it's on Netflix and I can finally enjoy it

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: July 4, 2012, 08:23:42 pm »
Anyone who has Netflix and isn't watching this from start to finish RIGHT NOW can suck a fuck.

On another note, I can't fight against the urge to tell you that "idiots" doesn't have an apostrophe. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #129 on: July 4, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »
Anyone who has Netflix and isn't watching this from start to finish RIGHT NOW can suck a fuck.

On another note, I can't fight against the urge to tell you that "idiots" doesn't have an apostrophe. ;D
Indeed not. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #130 on: July 4, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »
No flipping!

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #131 on: July 4, 2012, 09:47:35 pm »
BBC 2 had this,Seinfeld and Duckman on after each other,and scheduled them to start after Newsnight at 23.10.

Jason Alexander double bill right there. Duckman was fantastic.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #132 on: July 4, 2012, 09:48:42 pm »

Standing beside you nodding gravely. On our pedestal.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2019, 09:09:50 am »
Pour one out for Rip Torn, who has died at 88. I'm sure that Artie would say something pithy about him, raise an eyebrow, call him a motherfucker and drink a Glenmorangie in his honour.

He was initially cast in Easy Rider, then on set got into a fight with director Dennis Hopper, and Hopper pulls a knife on him and tries to stab him. Torn was an ex-army policeman and disarmed him quickly. Hopper fired him - and then cast Jack Nicholson in the role in which he got his first Oscar nomination.

He later got into a hammer fight with Norman Mailer on set, cos sure, why not?

And of course, he once got so drunk he tried to break into a bank with a shotgun thinking it was his home. He was 79 at the time.   A true legend.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2019, 10:11:18 am »
Don't forget his legendary turn in Dodgeball.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2019, 07:27:13 pm »
RIP Rip.

He was a good age in fairness, great actor and a mad bastard by all accounts. He'll always be Artie to me.

While we're on this subject though, Larry Sanders Show is the undisputed greatest sitcom ever written.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2019, 07:47:32 pm »
RIP Rip.

He was a good age in fairness, great actor and a mad bastard by all accounts. He'll always be Artie to me.

While we're on this subject though, Larry Sanders Show is the undisputed greatest sitcom ever written.

Rip. Years ago got caught by some fucker on eBay and bought copies of the show on vhs. Piss poor grainy copies but still loved it.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2019, 07:49:11 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/78IRyUrA2Ug" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/78IRyUrA2Ug</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2019, 08:24:48 pm »
Up there with Seinfeld as my top 2. Used to watch them one after the other when they were on late at night on BBC2 years ago.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2019, 01:08:57 am »
Up there with Seinfeld as my top 2. Used to watch them one after the other when they were on late at night on BBC2 years ago.

Same here, it's where I saw it first (I think anyway) would have been the mid 90s? Ah man I have to dig out my DVD box set and do it all again.