Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 118359 times)

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2007, 01:10:04 am »
*cough*here*cough*

----------------------------- EDiT ---------------------------------------

You should see a doctor mate. ;D

Don't post Torrent links. (It gave an out-of-date error anyway!!)

Ta.

Ah right, apologies.  I didn't know that wasn't allowed.  I only posted it because I remember people posting links to fm2007 torrents on its release.

Sorry about that. :(

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 01:47:05 am »

No worries. Can find anything on google anyway....

87:13

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2007, 01:10:10 pm »
Well, i'm hooked already!

after reading some of the replies and hearing how difficult it was all going to be, i was a little daunted by it and started having second thoughts about taking it up, but thought fuck it, nothing ventured nothing gained

i went onto ebay and ordered a fairly cheap acoustic and an instructional cd rom with ebook, i thought i'd get a cheap one to kick off with just incase it turned out that guitar playing wasnt for me, anyway, said guitar and cd rom arrive a couple of days later and i'm like a little kid on christmas day opening it up

so .. guitar all tuned up and cd rom insatalled i was raring to go, first lesson - Chords! open chords, major chords, A, Am, G, G7,Dm7,Em .... i thought shit, this might as well be Chinese to me as it seemed so complicated, i was immediately put on the back foot by it all, all sorts of negative thoughs started running through my head, 'i'm never gonna be able to learn all this' 'another waste of money' etc etc, but i took it step by step and i slowly started to memorise the individual chords, although i found it very frustrating and time consuming

i didnt seem to be getting anywhere, or anything out of the guitar apart from some very sore finger tips (cheers Zen see what you mean now mate) and a stiff back! i couldnt get my head (and fingers) around the chord changes, not quickly enough anyway and when i did do, i had always forgotten how to do it the same way half an hour later and ended up refering to the book again and again, hitting the wrong string, string buzzing  etc, I know these problems are all probably par for the course in learning how to play the guitar, and can totally understand why it puts many people off, as i was starting to go down the same road! many hours, sore fingers and not much to show for my pains!

i was begining to think my latest investment was going to be this years bonfire fuel, then i had a huge stroke of luck

was at work one day chatting to a none guitar playing mate about my frustrations with my new pass time when another guy i work with, who i didnt really know too well came over, he says he overheard the coversation i was was having, anyway, turns out him and his son are pretty handy guitar players and he invites me round to his gaff to give me some hints and tips!

so... goes round to his place one night, him and his son have electric guitars and a couple of pretty big marshal amps, his lad was playing as i got there and i couldnt believe how good he was, it was like listening to Jimmy Hendrix, he was superb, and only 14 years old and been playing for just over a year!

anyway my new mate  :) starts to teach me a couple of simple riffs on his Squier Strat, my first thought was how easier it is to play a leccy than an acoustic, as the neck is narrower and the action is lower (gettin the jargon too) and within minutes i was playing simple riffs like 'smoke on the water' and 'cat scratch fever'! I know they are simple riffs but i could'nt believe that it was ME making this awesome sound that was coming from the amp, it sounded fantastic and i was instantly converted from acoustic to leccy!!

that was a defining moment for me, i was hooked well and truly, first thing i did the next day was get back on ebay and i ordered a leccy, i found and ordered a brand new Squier strat starter package (guitar and 10 watt amp) for £99

since then i have been practicing my newly learned riffs to the point where they now sound crisp and sharp as if it was Ted Nugent himself playing Cat Scratch  ;)

been round to my mates a couple of times and i'm now able to play Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid'  :) not perfectly obviously, it still a bit rough, but i'm determined to perfect it, he has also taught me how to read TABS, and i borrowed his Dire Straits tab book and i'm now well on my way to playin that superb Knopfler riff 'money for nothing'

thanks for all the advice in this thread guys, and anyone who reads this thread who is thinking of taking it up ..... DO IT!!!!! ....... I wish I had done it years ago! but start with an electric, i know there will be purists who will say you should start with an acoustic, then go electric, but electric is easier and more fun and rewarding (i found anyway)

also i cant over emphasise the need to know someone who plays to a pretty good standard, i think if i had'nt had that bit of luck, i may well have struggled and lost interest!  :wave

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 06:07:11 pm by LymmRed »

Offline simo77

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2007, 09:53:56 pm »
Nice one lymmred, keep it up mate. I bought an acoustic yesterday from bridge street music but I'm struggling to arrange lessons. All the lessons i've asked about are only available during the day, no one seems to cater for evening classes at all.  I've looked at some of the links posted on here but they may as well be written in polish and I cant see how i'm gonna get my chubby fingers to only press one string at a time. I'm not giving up though... Your post has made me more determined to learn as its already obvious that you enjoy it so much!! :)

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2007, 11:41:32 pm »
Try to usse your acoustic mate. I know it sounds like your ma telling you to eat your greens but if you could fast forward 10 years after starting on an acoustic you would see it was worth it.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2007, 08:07:39 am »
If you can always try and practice WITHOUT effects and WITHOUT the amp

That way - you can hear your mistakes and playing when practicing - this has the good effect also of when you play in front of people with your amp and effects on - you will sound twice as good as you normally do - which will help your confidence
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2007, 11:28:14 am »
the other guitarist in my band is completely self-taught. i had lessons for about 2.5 years but most of my 5 years playing have been me learning stuff myself. check us out, myspace.com/incendiarybombs. its strange because when i play on my own i feel like i'm shite but playing with the band i feel like a virtuoso.  ;)

the best thing possible is to practice WITH other people, as you have done, because you can help each other. theres also an element of competition that pushes you to get better.
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline Live4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2007, 12:27:55 pm »
Wish i knew someone who was pretty decent on the guitar to give tips etc, currently just getting stuff off the net, but am still coming along well, got my guitar for christmas, and can now play cast no shadow, live forever & hey jude pretty decently, acutaly i recon i could quickly learn any song wothout the F & B chords which are a bit of a stumbling block at the moment though but im sure with practise i'll perfect them. wish i hadda got a guitar a few years ago when i first had the notion of getting one...so my advice to anyone out there thinkin of getting one would be to get one righht away and dont put it off for too long
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2007, 07:11:32 pm »
I cant see how i'm gonna get my chubby fingers to only press one string at a time. I'm not giving up though...

Dont let that put you off mate, the guy thats helping me out has fingers like Homer Simpson!!
(not yellow though)   :D

If you can always try and practice WITHOUT effects and WITHOUT the amp

That way - you can hear your mistakes and playing when practicing - this has the good effect also of when you play in front of people with your amp and effects on - you will sound twice as good as you normally do - which will help your confidence

Makes good sense that Andy cheers will try that

Offline simo77

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2007, 08:59:02 pm »
Managed to get sorted at a local music school for friday nights, cant wait :D

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2007, 11:53:54 pm »
Managed to get sorted at a local music school for friday nights, cant wait :D

Awesome mate, good luck with it! You might get a bit discouraged at first because theres a bit of a learning curve (well, happened for me anyway) , but dont give up, because its worth it. You can never really get bored with a guitar, and theres a million great songs for you to learn. Once you get to a certain level, you pick up songs almost instantly.

And also, if you can play guitar and sing a bit as well, the girls will love it ;)

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 08:59:42 pm »
as Hannibal Smith would say, 'I love it when a plan comes together.' Good to hear it's working out for all you learners out there, keep it going :thumbup

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
« Reply #52 on: April 6, 2007, 11:59:03 am »
Simo77, did you go to the guitar classes mate, how did it go and would you recommend it?

also, i have found a great site for guitar tabs http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

tabs for  nearly every song you can think of

can now play 'alternative ulster' by SLF, (well, the intro anyway) one of my favourite songs as a teenager, sounds great too!

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 6, 2007, 12:14:31 pm »
A great tab search engine is www.tabrobot.com there is also www.lyricsrobot.com

Offline simo77

• Main Stander
« Reply #54 on: April 6, 2007, 07:18:11 pm »
Hello Lymmred, had my first lesson last Friday and it went really well mate. As today is a bank holiday I've missed out but got a good deal I think, 4 lessons for £45. The instructor was aware that I'm a total beginner and went really slow and explained himself really well so I was well happy. Spoke to a couple of lads in work who also play, but as we all live far away from each other can't really see us getting together so I can pick up some tips, not unless we take our guitars into work which would look quite strange on a building site.... :)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 8, 2007, 06:59:57 pm »
After procrastinating for 40 years, this thread encouraged me to give it a try.

Bought a Washburn D10S acoustic a week ago (thanks rushyman), which sounds great.

Bought a few books, and using the websites mentioned in the thread, have made a nice start.  Some great & very useful suggestions!

Thanks Lymmred for getting this going.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #56 on: April 8, 2007, 07:01:16 pm »
Just came across this on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=TheNextLevelGuitar

Learnt two songs in the last couple of days and I'm a beginner.  Very good for strumming patterns.

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
« Reply #57 on: April 8, 2007, 10:05:11 pm »
Hello Lymmred, had my first lesson last Friday and it went really well mate. As today is a bank holiday I've missed out but got a good deal I think, 4 lessons for £45. The instructor was aware that I'm a total beginner and went really slow and explained himself really well so I was well happy. Spoke to a couple of lads in work who also play, but as we all live far away from each other can't really see us getting together so I can pick up some tips, not unless we take our guitars into work which would look quite strange on a building site.... :)

That does'nt sound bad at all for four lessons mate

After procrastinating for 40 years, this thread encouraged me to give it a try.

Bought a Washburn D10S acoustic a week ago (thanks rushyman), which sounds great.

Bought a few books, and using the websites mentioned in the thread, have made a nice start.  Some great & very useful suggestions!

Thanks Lymmred for getting this going.

Nice one JP, let us know how you get on, be great if all us novices can help each other out!

Learnt two songs in the last couple of days and I'm a beginner.  Very good for strumming patterns.

That my friend is a brilliant find, nice one!

anyone who does'nt have a guitar playing friend will find that really helpful

just been there and learned 'boulevard of broken dreams' in half an hour!! ..... class  ;D

Offline alexnw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #58 on: April 8, 2007, 10:35:38 pm »
Wish he was around when I started learning (although I still am!) would have made things so much easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRX2spA4y8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3fw5ghRcc&mode=related&search=

just been there and learned 'boulevard of broken dreams' in half an hour!! ..... class  ;D

Dave's great!! ;D

Offline redmanmarshall

• Kopite
« Reply #59 on: April 8, 2007, 11:42:58 pm »
Wow, that guy on youtube is really helpful.

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 9, 2007, 11:45:47 am »

I've learnt 'Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)', 'Atlantic City' and 'How To Save A Life' by The Fray in the past few days.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 9, 2007, 11:52:44 am »
Wow, that guy on youtube is really helpful.

There is another guy called justinsandercoe too, he is pretty good.

Can anyone recommend me a guitar - acoustic. Half decent quality.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #62 on: April 9, 2007, 11:54:52 am »
Just to mention it again - you should all try Guitar Pro (Doesn't cost much at all) and you can get literally thousands of tabs.

The good thing about Guitar Pro is that you can slow it right down (or speed it up) and add all measure of stuff to help your playing, your rhythm and even your note reading.

Can't stress how good it is for learning songs - just wish it had been around when I started.

I think you can even download a demo to see if it'll work for you off their website.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #63 on: April 9, 2007, 11:56:11 am »
There is another guy called justinsandercoe too, he is pretty good.

Can anyone recommend me a guitar - acoustic. Half decent quality.

Yamaha acoustics are excellent - lovely lovely tones and general all round sound and usually have a great action helping them to be very nice to play as well

I've got an Acoustic Yamaha (After trying several other acoustics)

I've also got a semi-acoustic Ibanez - but that's probably a bit expensive for where you are

You should get a very nice Yamaha for around £100ish

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 9, 2007, 12:00:40 pm »
Yamaha acoustics are excellent - lovely lovely tones and general all round sound and usually have a great action helping them to be very nice to play as well

I've also got a semi-acoustic Ibanez - but that's probably a bit expensive for where you are

I want something semi decent - got any links for the Ibanez?

EDIT: Oh, and thanks, Andy.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 9, 2007, 12:02:53 pm »

I paid 109 for my Washburn, (based on rushyman's recommendation) delivered next day.  Used imuso.co.uk

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #66 on: April 9, 2007, 12:34:08 pm »
I want something semi decent - got any links for the Ibanez?

EDIT: Oh, and thanks, Andy.

Which type are you after - a full acoustic, a semi-acoustic (Normal) or a semi-acoustic F-Hole?

If you're after an F-Hole this one is nice (£250) http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=AG00240

This one is especially nice; http://www.ibanez.com/hollow/guitar.aspx?m=AF105F

I've got both an Ibanez Thru-neck Player (Electric) and a Semi-Acoustic Ibanez and both are excellent quality - the only guitars I've seen that is better than them in terms of build quality are Gibsons.

If you go here, then this gives you an overview of Ibanez Acoustic/Semi Acoustics http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html - just clikc on the 'acoustic guitars' option.

Enjoy! :)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 9, 2007, 12:46:18 pm »
Strange you mention that, I was just looking at this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IBANEZ-AF105-Semi-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural-with-Case_W0QQitemZ180007729457QQcategoryZ33043QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I think it is probably a step too far. For now at least. The way I can tell it's a step too far, I don't really know the difference :)

Does the F-Hole (teee hee, I said f-hole) produce the same  sound as the others when not rigged up to an amp. (that white one looks the nuts, doesn't it!), guessing it needs to be plugged in all the time to an amp.

I like the exotic wood Ibanez - this one is hte one I've been looking at.

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=AG00307

and a better image here

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/IBANEZ+EW20WNE+NT.JPG
« Last Edit: April 9, 2007, 12:54:36 pm by Ephraim Longworth »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #68 on: April 9, 2007, 01:40:50 pm »
Strange you mention that, I was just looking at this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IBANEZ-AF105-Semi-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural-with-Case_W0QQitemZ180007729457QQcategoryZ33043QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I think it is probably a step too far. For now at least. The way I can tell it's a step too far, I don't really know the difference :)

Does the F-Hole (teee hee, I said f-hole) produce the same  sound as the others when not rigged up to an amp. (that white one looks the nuts, doesn't it!), guessing it needs to be plugged in all the time to an amp.

I like the exotic wood Ibanez - this one is hte one I've been looking at.

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=AG00307

and a better image here

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/IBANEZ+EW20WNE+NT.JPG

An F hole can be played acoustically as well - they are very nice guitars.

Ibanez have very very high build quality

I've had my eleccy for 21 years and it hasn't gone wrong once :)

The thing I like about Ibanez is (apart from the build quality) the sheer number of different models suited to most peoples needs - different lengths of necks, through necks, bolt ons, thin and thick fretboards (Different spacing available too) different pickups and different electrics - not many (any?) others offer such a range at the price with the quality

I'd always advise trying to buy one locally though - make sure you get to play it to make sure it suits you before you part with your reddies - and most importantly as always make sure the action is correct (for you AND the guitar) and you can't go wrong :)
« Last Edit: April 9, 2007, 01:45:07 pm by Andy @ Allerton »

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 9, 2007, 01:47:29 pm »
I've learnt 'Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)', 'Atlantic City' and 'How To Save A Life' by The Fray in the past few days.
...and now I can add 'You're Beautiful' by James Blunt to my collection :D!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #70 on: April 9, 2007, 01:50:38 pm »
Some good (And fairly easy ones to learn) (And will help your playing)

Pictures of Matchstick Men - Status Quo
Black Night - Deep Purple
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Fool for your Lovin' - Whitesnake
Hells Bells - AC/DC
Daytripper - Beatles
Wild Thing - Troggs
There she Goes - The Las

Get those under your belt and you'll find it'll help you pick riffs up with rhythm

Offline redmanmarshall

• Kopite
« Reply #71 on: April 9, 2007, 02:16:43 pm »
Don't know if this is any good, but I love the look of it.

Ibanez AW40NT

:lickin

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html
« Last Edit: April 9, 2007, 02:19:52 pm by redmanmarshall »

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 9, 2007, 06:20:56 pm »
Can anyone recommend a practice amp to get started on?

Thinking of getting the Ibanez GAX30 electric as suggested earlier in the thread.

Just realized it's my 1000 post :)  ............  good place for it I think ;D

Offline alexnw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #73 on: April 9, 2007, 08:44:26 pm »
Congrats on the 1000!

I have a Marshall MG15CD which I would definitely recommend.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-mg-15-cdr/321

Also, the Roland Cube gets some good reviews:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-cube-15/8955

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 9, 2007, 09:01:42 pm »
Congrats on the 1000!

Congrats on the 1000!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2007, 09:24:22 am »
Andy, what do you think of that exotic wood Ibanez? I'm thinking of picking that up soon and then maybe go for the AF105 (non f, which has the single humbucker) in the future.

Or do you think I should just go for that cheaper f hole?

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2007, 07:43:12 am »
Andy, what do you think of that exotic wood Ibanez? I'm thinking of picking that up soon and then maybe go for the AF105 (non f, which has the single humbucker) in the future.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2007, 12:24:15 pm »
Ended up buying an Ibanez S320 with a Vox AD15VT amp, sounds good to me, but what do I know? :D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2007, 12:55:19 pm »

The exotic wood one looks very nice - not sure of the material used to make mine (it's a bit battered) - but it weighs a ton and the extra weight really adds a nice tone (I actually replaced the original Ibanez pickups with some from a 1960s Gibson)

The exotic woods give variations in quality and sound - but really if you're after one - I'd give a couple a try to see what the tone is like - you'll notice a world of difference between it and the bog standard wood used in most guitars.

If you have money to spend - I'd also think of Gibsons - which have some truly beautiful guitars - although I would suggest going for the American versions rather than the Japanese one - the Japanese ones are realiable and beautifully made - but bizarrely the American ones seem to have more 'heart and soul' - can't explain it - the only way is to play the same model from those countries and see what you think

If you do get an Ibanez - you'll be getting a quality guitar anyway - but the exotic wood could make a big difference

If it were me - and looking at the two you are considering I wouldn't go for the F-Hole (Not too keen on them - but I know a lot of people are)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2007, 12:58:59 pm »
I think on that note (no pun intended) I think I will grab the exotic wood Ibanez, or at least go to my local decent guitar shop - guitar village, which has loads in stock, with a view to getting that. Then pick up that f105 when I'm a bit more advanced.

thanks.