Author Topic: Kolo Toure  (Read 165467 times)

Offline sushared

• Main Stander
Re: Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #400 on: May 29, 2013, 04:37:34 am »
Welcome Kolo. personally i believe he is a lousy signing. past it and prone to huge brain farts in lot of games, i mean rarely has consistency. hope he is singed only as a back up and not as a permanent fixture for our defense next season.

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #401 on: May 29, 2013, 04:40:56 am »
I wasn't that keen on the signing at first but I can see it has some positive reasons behind it.

Anyway the time for debate is over. He's a red so he has my full support.

Welcome to LFC Kolo

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #402 on: May 29, 2013, 05:07:45 am »
That was quick. Seems like a good addition, welcome Kolo. Now get his brother.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #403 on: May 29, 2013, 05:08:48 am »
If anything, the signing shows that FSG are backing Rodgers (so far) this window, and are willing to bend their preferences where necessary.

Thing that reassures me the most is that our newly recruited City scouts will know all about him, and they must still think he's got something to offer us.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #404 on: May 29, 2013, 05:16:04 am »
If anything, the signing shows that FSG are backing Rodgers (so far) this window, and are willing to bend their preferences where necessary.

er...how ?

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #405 on: May 29, 2013, 05:43:54 am »
Welcome Kolo! YNWA
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: May 29, 2013, 05:47:24 am »
er...how ?

Their "vision" about wanting to only sign top young prospects, their general reluctance to bring in anyone over the ages of 27/28?

And now they've signed Toure because Rodgers believes he needs more experience in the squad.

There's also Rodgers stating in the Times that he's been given assurances that most of what they way to do (transfer-wise), they'll be able to do.

Offline Sweeney94

• Anny Roader
« Reply #407 on: May 29, 2013, 05:52:24 am »
Good signing. We will probably only be left with one cb in agger, so 3 are needed. A free, experienced player is fine and can be replaced in a year or two

Offline exino

• tic tac toe
  • Kopite
  • Youth coach. Total football proponent. JFT96.
« Reply #408 on: May 29, 2013, 05:56:46 am »
I think we will find him a really impressive defender, and be surprised by the security he provides at the back.

Interesting how our last three signings are players who were at big clubs and couldn't get enough game time. I think that says a lot about what we are looking for in terms of motivation, as well as making shrewd bargain signings. Cut prices.

The Man City scouts also obviously will have seen him play a lot and that is a good indication of how highly he is rated.
Indeed, it's starting to look like a trend.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:12:38 am by exino »
"Football is a simple game, yet it is difficult to play simple football."- Johan Cruyff

Offline Bonaqua

• Kopite
« Reply #409 on: May 29, 2013, 05:59:54 am »
That was quick. Seems like a good addition, welcome Kolo. Now get his brother.

;D

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: May 29, 2013, 06:22:09 am »
Welcome to Anfield Kolo Toure!

Most likely will be 3rd choice central defender but will not be surprised if he plays more often than expected. Many thought Carragher was finished last season but he was a regular from January onwards. So, nothing is certain. If he's in better form than others, he will get to play.

And this signing may also kill the myth that management only sanctioned signings of 23 years old and below. The preference will be towards younger players will lots of upsides. But everyone will be considered as long as we can get them with the "right" deal.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #411 on: May 29, 2013, 06:41:15 am »
Their "vision" about wanting to only sign top young prospects, their general reluctance to bring in anyone over the ages of 27/28?

And now they've signed Toure because Rodgers believes he needs more experience in the squad.

There's also Rodgers stating in the Times that he's been given assurances that most of what they way to do (transfer-wise), they'll be able to do.

actually its a pointless debate haha. No one knows if the supposed committee decided or BR himself. There was no official statement ever that says we will only sign young players, and in any case Toure arrives as a free transfer. If anything, your point would be more valid if Toure commanded a transfer fee. So, hardly proof they are indeed bending over their preferences.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: May 29, 2013, 06:43:08 am »
Welcome Kolo, YNWA.

Past performance does not guarantee future results, but it surely does not hurt to have two time league winning defender on our side. Play well and earn your incentive package.

"kolo kolo kolo kolo kolo kolo kolo toure" 
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Mr Merlot

• Main Stander
« Reply #413 on: May 29, 2013, 06:48:24 am »
What do you reckon he's on a week?

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #414 on: May 29, 2013, 06:52:39 am »

12 diet pills
'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #415 on: May 29, 2013, 06:54:10 am »
Very surprised to hear this happen. Kolo Toure was once upon a time a decent enough defender with the Gooners but the emphasis is on "once upon a time". He has since gone down the quality sliding scale during his time with City. He'd be AWOL at crucial times and they did cost City as a result.

Do Koppites feel that at 32 and with little or no recent top-flight match-time experience, he is the answer to Liverpool's centre-back problems in season 2013-14?
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: May 29, 2013, 06:55:24 am »
actually its a pointless debate haha. No one knows if the supposed committee decided or BR himself. There was no official statement ever that says we will only sign young players, and in any case Toure arrives as a free transfer. If anything, your point would be more valid if Toure commanded a transfer fee. So, hardly proof they are indeed bending over their preferences.

Maybe I worded it wrongly, they might not be bending over their preferences, but they're more open to the idea of having more experienced players in the squad than we thought.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: May 29, 2013, 06:57:08 am »
He isnt the solution, he's decent, experienced back-up.  Its been reported everywhere that we're in for another centre-back.  I really don't see what the problem is with signing Toure.

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #418 on: May 29, 2013, 06:57:34 am »
We must have got him on a 'bargain' weekly wage to take a risk on someone his age who might just be coming to warm the bench and pick up some retirement funds

'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: May 29, 2013, 06:58:06 am »
Very surprised to hear this happen. Kolo Toure was once upon a time a decent enough defender with the Gooners but the emphasis is on "once upon a time". He has since gone down the quality sliding scale during his time with City. He'd be AWOL at crucial times and they did cost City as a result.

Do Koppites feel that at 32 and with little or no recent top-flight match-time experience, he is the answer to Liverpool's centre-back problems in season 2013-14?

He is not the answer, all he is, is adding depth and experience (which we need after Carragher retired). We're on a budget so we can't afford to be splashing all our money in one position.

By all reports, we're still looking at signing 2 more CB's (Papadopolous/Llori).

In any case, City fans all thought he did a pretty good job whenever he did get the chance to play last season.

It seems we've learnt from previous "frees" and have taken him on relatively low wages, and only signed him up for two years.

Offline Senior Cutinhio

• Anny Roader
« Reply #420 on: May 29, 2013, 07:05:19 am »
total bullshit of experience card.

What is the point of experience if the plan is to sit on the bench ? Two 28 years old defenders in team are not experienced enough ? Both respective captains of their country ? The simple fact is Skrtel is leaving and hence the so called experience needed.

Offline rayo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #421 on: May 29, 2013, 07:10:05 am »
Welcome Kolo. personally i believe he is a lousy signing. past it and prone to huge brain farts in lot of games, i mean rarely has consistency. hope he is singed only as a back up and not as a permanent fixture for our defense next season.

'Welcome'?

I think he is a very good signing. Welcome Kolo (if you are reading this).

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: May 29, 2013, 07:15:57 am »
Delighted with this signing. Proven winner and much needed experienced head at the back after Carra's departure.

I think the plan at the center defense this year is to have 4 CBS - two starters (one is Agger, second to be signed), one experienced backup (Kolo, sorted) and a young CB (either Coates or would be signed).

This signing also shows Rodgers has full support from FSG.

lol at some of the football managers/experts here questioning the wisdom of this signing. hahahahahaha.

Offline careca

• Kopite
  • "Shanks - Considered wisdom"
« Reply #423 on: May 29, 2013, 07:18:34 am »
He's a beast and I'm sure he'll add something to defending corners etc. When is his brother available? Now that would be a signing to celebrate.
Keeping the faith

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #424 on: May 29, 2013, 07:18:59 am »
total bullshit of experience card.

What is the point of experience if the plan is to sit on the bench ? Two 28 years old defenders in team are not experienced enough ? Both respective captains of their country ? The simple fact is Skrtel is leaving and hence the so called experience needed.

get your point but i wouldnt be as harsh. I am actually apathetic about this. I'm thinking though, CB is a position where managers tend not to throw young players into deep. Obviously there are young CBs established in senior teams elsewhere but we need to look at our next CB signings before being so harsh.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 29, 2013, 07:24:41 am »
Papa and Llori are young, Papa has been out for over 6 months so expecting them to start week 1 is a huge ask. Kolo will probably be 2nd choice behind Agger until the others can establish themselves.

Welcome Kolo
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: May 29, 2013, 07:29:27 am »
He will play wide left, Rodgers has agreed that. Like in his early arsenal days
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: May 29, 2013, 07:29:42 am »
10 starts in the league. 5 of which were clean sheets. Conceded 8 goals in 922 minutes.

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
« Reply #428 on: May 29, 2013, 07:48:00 am »
Welcome in Kolo. Hope you can learn the young players plenty and provide us with experience and power in defence!
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #429 on: May 29, 2013, 07:52:26 am »
Welcome in Kolo. Hope you can learn the young players plenty and provide us with experience and power in defence!
Teach not learn.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Matts

• Kopite
« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2013, 08:16:30 am »
More then me.....
Opinion, What most want to give, but what most don't want to hear

Offline marti_pellow

• Boys Pen
  • BGP
« Reply #431 on: May 29, 2013, 08:26:15 am »
103 international caps, 11 trophies in England and invaluable experience gained as an Invincible and captain of ASEC Abidjan, Arsenal and Ivory Coast. I believe he's a solid addition to the squad, despite being fairly short term in nature (two year contract reportedly). I like Thierry Henry's observation of Kolo spending lots of time with the Arsenal youth players, and so can also prove a mentor too. He's a solid addition in my opinion.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: May 29, 2013, 08:31:12 am »
West Ham United
UEFA Intertoto Cup (1): 1999

Chelsea
Premier League (3): 2004–05, 2005–06, 2009–10
FA Cup (3): 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10
League Cup (2): 2004–05, 2006–07,
FA Community Shield (2): 2005, 2009

56 English Caps; over 400 games of experience in the BPL...
_

Just watch him play for us before declaring him as a great pick-up please.  ::)
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2013, 08:35:34 am »

Kolo Toure during his medical.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2013, 08:49:08 am »
Indeed, it's starting to look like a trend.

Moneyball? I'll get me coat  ;D
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2013, 08:53:08 am »
Just watch him play for us before declaring him the new Joe Cole please.  ::)
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #436 on: May 29, 2013, 08:54:41 am »
welcome Kolo, bring yer brother too
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #437 on: May 29, 2013, 08:58:42 am »
To be honest, if we start with the same squad, I'd have him starting.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #438 on: May 29, 2013, 09:01:20 am »
To be honest, if we start with the same squad, I'd have him starting.

If Skrtel is still around I would partner him with Agger and see what happens. Maybe give him the opportunity to play for his place.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: May 29, 2013, 09:16:37 am »

So prone to huge brain farts he managed to be part of a center half pairing that went unbeaten all season - a feat never seen since.. If that's not consistency then geez I don't know what is.