Author Topic: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 4-0 West Brom  (Read 5202 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 4-0 West Brom
« on: April 27, 2006, 09:31:25 pm »
After a disappointing 3-0 loss away to Aston Villa, Liverpool took on their West Midland's neighbours West Brom at The Racecourse tonight. They chose an attacking team with with two front men, two wingers and an attacking midfielder and it paid dividends as they produced their best performance of the season to romp to a comfortable 4-0 victory. With Hobbs relegated to the bench for this game Peltier was captain for the second to last home game of the season.

Liverpool started brightly and nearly went ahead in the third minute. Calliste was fouled after being put through into the left channel by Guthrie. Guthrie was alive to the opportunity and took a quick free kick to Foy whose powerful shot skimmed the post with the keeper not even bothering to move.

The Reds didn't have to wait long to take the lead. A minute later Idrizaj who has struggled to settle in to the team so far this year picked the ball up and raced straight through the defence and beat the keeper with aplomb. It seemed to mark Bez's arrival as he had by far his best game for the club so far.

Liverpool went off the boil for a bit forcing Pako to get up from the bench and yell to Guthrie "Daniel. Keep the ball. And pass.". Guthrie (who seems to be a contestant for the world's whitest human) took the words of wisdom on board as he put on a great showing for the rest of the match.

Foy was again unlucky on 25 minutes shooting from a similar angle and missing by a similar margin.

It wasn't until the 32nd minute before West Brom had a chance. A forward ball by Ibrahim Sissoko (yes he's the legend's younger brother) caused confusion between Roque and Martin allowing Elvins to nip in and shoot just wide. Martin seemed very nervey tonight, after a couple of mistake against Villa he looks to be a bit short on confidence.

Just before the break Barragan was close to doubling the lead. He had bombed forward more and more as the half went on, this time he broke alone, cut inside onto his weaker left foot and let fly, missing only by the smallest of margins. HT: Liverpool 1-0 West Brom

Liverpool came out for the second half and were immediately back on the front foot. Both Foy and Peltier having long range efforts in the opening moments. This pressure told as in the 49th minute Foy and Bez combined to slip Guthrie through. He looked to have been muscled out of it but managed to get the tip of his toe on the ball, diverting it around the keeper and into the net.

Liverpool put a game that was really already out of West Brom's reach beyond doubt in the 56th minute. Calliste used his pace to great effect to steam down the right wing and deliver a perfect cross to Bez who had cleverly lost his marker. It was nothing less than Bez had deserved and if his header from a corner late in the first half had not come back of the bar he could well have been celebrating a hatrick.

Lindfield was introduced in the 67th minute replacing Calliste and I was reliably informed by the lad I watch the match with that he would definitely score. With just five minute remaining some excellent footall by Liverpool enabled Barragan time to cross from the right. He found Lindfield in space at the back post but he headed over when he really should have found the net. I laughed at my mate's prediction.

In the 86th minute he laughed at me as Threlfall fed Lindfield and used pace and strength to brilliantly hold off the defender and beat the keeper. It was a great piece of finishing to round of a cracking performance. I hope we reproduce this on Sunday so I don't have to witness the Mancs celebrating winning the league.

(The report for the game on Sunday afternoon may not be up until Monday).

MotM: It's hard to take it away from a lad who scored two goals and played so well, but I'm afraid Bez loses out to Robbie Foy who put in the best performance I've ever seen from the lad. He really caused them problems all night.

LFC Team: Martin, Barragan, Smith, Antwi, Roque, Peltier, Anderson (75, Threlfall), Idrizaj, Calliste (67 Lindfield), Guthrie (77, Flynn), Foy

© AdamS 2006
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 09:34:33 am by Rushian »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re: Reds in Reserve Liverpool 4 - 0 West Brom
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:58:13 pm »
Great read as usual, Adam - cheers for all of those evenings spent at the Racecourse Ground!

From .tv:

Austrian player of the year Besian Idrizaj was a double marksman as he helped Liverpool Reserves to a 4-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground on Thursday night. 
The 17-year-old Austrian playmaker scored a superb individual goal for the opener and then hit an opportunist strike for his second goal. Danny Guthrie and Academy striker Craig Lindfield scored Liverpool's other goals as the Reds produced an excellent display on the night.

Idrizaj has had a frustrating first season in England having struggled at first to come to terms with the pace and physical demands of English football. He has also suffered from niggling injuries but full credit to him and Idrizaj has worked hard to adapt and showed his true potential against the Baggies and played really well.

Liverpool Reserve team manager Paco Herrera made two changes to his team that were beaten 3-0 by Aston Villa on Monday, with Robbie Foy and Idrizaj replacing Jack Hobbs and Danny O'Donnell. Lee Peltier captained the team.

The Baggies fielded several players with first team experience including Junichi Inamoto, Darren Carter, Jan Kosazk and Williams Martinez. West Brom also fielded Ibrahim Sissoko who is the brother of Liverpool star Momo.

Liverpool made a fine start to the game and Idrizaj scored a superb individual goal to open the scoring after five minutes. Seconds earlier Foy had gone close from a free-kick before Idrizaj won a loose ball and held off two defenders before finishing coolly for the opening goal.

Guthrie then went close with a fierce drive that just cleared the cross bar after nine minutes.

Idrizaj was a whisker away from making it 2-0 after 25 minutes when he glanced a header onto the post.

Liverpool were playing some excellent passing and probing football in the first half and Idrizaz was a lively figure playing in a central attacking role.

The Reds almost made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time but Antonio Barragan's curled effort was brilliantly kept out by Baggies keeper Luke Daniels.

Liverpool started the second half with the same attacking style and within a minute of the restart Foy went close with a rasping drive that just cleared the bar.

Three minutes later it was 2-0 when Guthrie ghosted in to slide the ball past Daniels into the corner of the net.

Idrizaj scored his second goal of the night after 57 minutes when he finished well from close range after good approach work from strike partner Ramon Calliste.

Academy striker Craig Lindfield was given another run-out for the final 20 minutes of the game when he replaced Calliste in attack. Lindfield was one of the heroes of Liverpool's youth cup winning team having scored seven goals during the run-up to the final. He scored the Reds fourth goal with a good finish from close range.

Two more young heroes from the Youth Cup success in Ryan Flynn and Robbie Threlfall also had another taste of reserve team football when they came on as substitutes.

Liverpool Reserves: Martin, Barragan, Smith, Antwi, Roque, Peltier (Threlfall 80), Anderson, Idrizaj, Calliste (Lindfield 70), Guthrie (Flynn 75), Foy. Subs not used: Hobbs, Lancaster (GK).

West Bromwich Albion: Daniels, Davies, Kelleher, Sissoko, Martinez, Darg, Carter, Kosazk, Elvins, Nicholson, Inamoto.

Referee: K G Evans.

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Besian Idrizaj. Bez, as he is known at Melwood, scored two excellent goals and had a fine match. 

Final fixtures for the season:

27 Apr, 2006 West Brom FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) H 19:00
30 Apr, 2006 Manchester United FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) H 13:00
02 May, 2006 Manchester City FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) A 19:00

Reserves League Table :wave

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:09:51 pm »

Liverpool went off the boil for a bit forcing Pako to get up from the bench and yell to Guthrie "Daniel. Keep the ball. And pass.". Guthrie (who seems to be a contestant for the world's whitest human) seemed to take the words of wisdom on board as he put on a great showing for the rest of the match.

Ah words of wisdom there, keep the ball and pass, I wish I was told that in my youth :P Maybe I'd have become a proper footballer eh? :)

Made me chuckle about Guthrie being the whitest human in the world ;D

Good to see the lads win, and win well. Any reason why Hobbs was left out or was it just tiredness for the young lad?

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 11:32:43 pm »
Good to see the lads win, and win well. Any reason why Hobbs was left out or was it just tiredness for the young lad?
I don't know to be honest, but we are limited with him in  our midfield. I think one of him or Peltier is enough in terms of defence. Pelts played really well tonight and so next season it looks like competition for the centre back position will be rife.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 11:36:03 pm »
good report as usual, great result for the lads

any win against the mancs would be nice :wave
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Simon-1973

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 11:43:38 pm »
Another good result for the Reserves  :wave :thumbup
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 11:54:17 pm »
As ever a great report Adam. Really enjoy reading these, thanks for doing such a sterling job.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Re: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 4-0 West Brom
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 09:46:05 am »
Great report.

Was Momo's bro any good or hard to tell in what appears to be a great performance from the reds?

And how old is he?

Imagine 2 Momo's in the team :P

:D
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 10:29:24 am »
Thanks for the report you've certainly put the effort it this season

Foy has been playing well since he returned - is it a case of playing for another chance with us or playing to get a chance elsewhere?

Peltier and Guthrie presumably need a step up in standard at 19 shouldn't they be looking for first team football somewhere next sesaon - couple of good loan deals perhaps? Whats Guthrie's contract situation I know Peltier got a deal a little while back. But do you think either are quite ready to step up to the first eam squad?

Smith, O'Donnell, Foy, Willis, Woods, Platt, Calliste, Lancaster - nervous times for them this summer I guess - any ideas of what will happen there? perhaps keep a couple on to help the youngsters? Do any really have a shot at a pro contract with us or somebody else?

And have you heard anything of Danny Mannix have all the injuries taken too big a toll?

I guess all the 18 year olds are also biting their nails wondering whether they get to stay as third year scholars.....Holmes, Smith, Frayne all seem to have gone down the pecking order?

Tough times I guess for some of the lads hopes and dreams

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 10:46:36 am »
Something I would like to know. Is Idrizaj a player? Or could he be possibly? And by a player I mean a Liverpool quality player.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 10:53:43 am »
Foy has been playing well since he returned - is it a case of playing for another chance with us or playing to get a chance elsewhere?
As far as I am aware he has been told that he is leaving. I think his time at Wrexham and Chester reinstilled a work ethic which is now paying dividends.

Peltier and Guthrie presumably need a step up in standard at 19 shouldn't they be looking for first team football somewhere next sesaon - couple of good loan deals perhaps? Whats Guthrie's contract situation I know Peltier got a deal a little while back. But do you think either are quite ready to step up to the first team squad?
I thought they were both 18?

Anyway I think loaning them out would be a good option. They are both very good players but you need to be something extraordinarily special to break into our first team.

Smith, O'Donnell, Foy, Willis, Woods, Platt, Calliste, Lancaster - nervous times for them this summer I guess - any ideas of what will happen there? perhaps keep a couple on to help the youngsters? Do any really have a shot at a pro contract with us or somebody else?

And have you heard anything of Danny Mannix have all the injuries taken too big a toll?
Smith, O'Donnell, Foy, Calliste are all going as far as I am awaare. The other lads are a year behind them and I think they all have a season left (I could be wrong though).

Mannix hasn't played since breaking his leg/ankle earlier in the season. He was struggling to get in the team regularly then, but we have missed his creativity since. I think he has until the end of next season, but in the position he plays he's got his work cut out.

I guess all the 18 year olds are also biting their nails wondering whether they get to stay as third year scholars.....Holmes, Smith, Frayne all seem to have gone down the pecking order?
Yes true. It'll be interesting to see how many fresh faces we bring in in the summer. Word has it that we are interested in Sturridge from Man City. That would be a class signing, but Chelsea are in for him too.

Thanks for the report you've certainly put the effort it this season
It's no effort, I enjoy it. I'm afraid to say you'll have to put up with another season of it too because the ressies are staying at The Racecourse next season.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 10:54:34 am »
Something I would like to know. Is Idrizaj a player? Or could he be possibly? And by a player I mean a Liverpool quality player.
Last night he was class, but it's the first time he's shown anything really. He might be aclimatising now. The end of next season seems to be the time to judge him.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 12:35:41 pm »
Guthrie 18.4.87
Peltier 11.12.86

not that I'm a statto or anything
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.