Author Topic: Hicks calls for Parry's resignation  (Read 102981 times)

Offline RedBo

• Main Stander
Re: Hicks calls for Parry's resignation
« Reply #1360 on: April 11, 2008, 02:55:12 am »

Anfield fiasco: Tom Hicks could sink Liverpool
By Henry Winter
Last Updated: 1:28am BST 11/04/2008

Have your say      Read comments

Tom Hicks must never be allowed to board the ferry across the Mersey because he would only rock the boat. Just when Rick Parry attempts to keep the good ship Liverpool steady through another storm, Hicks lumbers on and threatens to capsize it. Madness.

Henry Winter: British clubs must savour Champions League
In pics: Liverpool and Chelsea set up semi-final meeting
Five memorable Liverpool European nights
In the dispute that escalated yesterday between Parry and Hicks, let us play spot the difference: Parry has Liverpool's best interests at heart while Hicks has Hicks's best interests at heart. Parry is a lifelong fan. Hicks is a businessman. Parry works hard to keep the club united and focused on reaching the Champions League final. Hicks picks fights. Spot which one you would want running your club.

Tied down: Rick Parry looks to have been caught in crossfire
The word on Merseyside is that Hicks demanded Parry's resignation as a tit-for-tat against George Gillett, the other co-owner who had ticked off Ian Ayre, the club's commercial director much admired by Hicks, before Tuesday's Champions League vanquishing of Arsenal.

Parry seems to have been caught up in the crossfire between two Americans. It does need stating that Parry is not football's top-ranked chief executive. He has certainly made mistakes. Liverpool have been slow to develop their commercial potential, although that pre-dates Parry's arrival at Anfield from the Premier League (four European Cups in seven years should have generated more funds).

Parry has not always enjoyed the best relationship with Rafael Benitez and has courted ridicule by wearing a Liverpool tracksuit emblazoned with his initials. A chief executive's place is in the board-room, not the dressing-room. But if he occasionally fails to see eye-to-eye with Benitez, who can be awkward and appears still to hold a candle for Real Madrid, then Parry is not completely at fault. Sporting replica kit is unwise for an executive, but such vanity does provide material proof of Parry's deep affection for Liverpool.

Those cyberspace mischief-makers who inserted the claim that Parry is known as "Coco" on his Wikipedia entry are being slightly cruel. The real clown wears a Stetson. It is difficult to see what Parry has done wrong in the period since the Americans rode into town. He pleaded for Hicks and Gillett to give peace a chance. He has sided with Gillett, but then most sane souls around Anfield would.

The essential Champions League final guide to Moscow
Anfield fiasco: Liverpool civil war reignites
Parry cares about people at Anfield. When Steven Gerrard's autobiography (ghosted by this writer) had to be run by Liverpool, Parry read the criticism of him and Benitez during the Chelsea contract saga but did not ask for one word to be changed. He respected the captain's right to make comments, however unflattering they were towards him and the manager. Parry's stance contrasted with officials at some other clubs, who demanded that books by some of their players be amended.

Parry is a fan of Gerrard, just as he is a fan of all those driving Liverpool in the right direction. Hicks is getting in the way, and yesterday's fuel-on-the-fire antics hardly help. If he wants to dismiss Parry, then he should do it in the closed-season.

The mess highlights one reality: the sooner all football appreciates the dangers inherent in foreign ownership the better. If football ever contains more people like Hicks than Parry, then the game really will be heading to Hell in a debt-laden hand-cart

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/04/11/sfnliv111.xml

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1361 on: April 11, 2008, 02:56:12 am »
what nationality do you have to be to have a genuine reason to be a drug-addict?

Scottish if you like smack
Dutch/Jamaican if you like pot
American* if you like LSD
English if you like Ecstasy
Columbian if you like....

*Southern Californian hippy dude fits best

Didn't you know all this?

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1362 on: April 11, 2008, 02:56:49 am »
Yes that's what Rawk is about. If you don't get your questions answered in a satisfactory manner, resort to abuse.

Very mature.

There were perfectly reasonable questions off of MANY RAWKites and he has avoided everyone of them. So IMO he deserve's everything he gets
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline SoylentGreen

• Main Stander
  • TRUE force
« Reply #1363 on: April 11, 2008, 02:57:35 am »
oh fuck i like LSD so that means i have to become a yank??? I LOVE TOM HICKS!!!
Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the c*nts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up.

Offline mazlo123

• Legacy Fan
  • My kind of monster.
« Reply #1364 on: April 11, 2008, 02:59:57 am »
As i said before this move from Hicks highlights his lack of Power and Control of the club.

Imagine the same situation in you place of work . . Your boss asks you to resign but doesn't have the authority to fire you.

Imagine how emasculating that would be for a man of Hicks background. 

Even if Parry were to resign(Which i don't think he will) its not like Hicks can appoint someone that will fight his corner because he doesn't have the authority.

IMO he's outnumbered and well and truly fucked.
They should go and feast on another dead corpse this one is alive and kicking and it will bite you fucking head off.

Offline DarrenKaye

• Anny Roader
  • YYYYYEAH!
« Reply #1365 on: April 11, 2008, 03:00:00 am »
oh fuck i like LSD so that means i have to become a yank??? I LOVE TOM HICKS!!!
Great place for a fight! At least respect the people that don't care about it.
desequilibrante | Betfair referall code: FEXFN66PH

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1366 on: April 11, 2008, 03:00:24 am »
Mr. Winter is absolutely right.

Hicks a bluffer anyway. only a matter of time until he has to sell, he can't possibly fund the stadium with the current market turmoil, good riddance!

Offline YouStan Eternity

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1367 on: April 11, 2008, 03:00:41 am »
Scottish if you like smack
Dutch/Jamaican if you like pot
American* if you like LSD
English if you like Ecstasy
Columbian if you like....

America is so big, it doesn't quite fit....that's why we choose our drug of choice based upon 'nationality'...though it's been 150 years since my folks jumped off the boat.

Although "hillbilly white trash American" works well with meth.  Them backcountry hicks love their meth.

Offline SoylentGreen

• Main Stander
  • TRUE force
« Reply #1368 on: April 11, 2008, 03:02:30 am »
well i'm off to go catch me a good ol' cripple fight, catch ye laters.
Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the c*nts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up.

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1369 on: April 11, 2008, 03:02:47 am »
Mr. Winter is absolutely right.

Hicks a bluffer anyway. only a matter of time until he has to sell, he can't possibly fund the stadium with the current market turmoil, good riddance!

'who can be awkward and appears still to hold a candle for Real Madrid,'

Where the fuck did he get that idea ?
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #1370 on: April 11, 2008, 03:03:04 am »
You know,it`s possible that in 5 yrs or less Hicks could be standing beside Rafa and Stevie G when we lift the Premier league title Cup.In his 1 yr in charge we`ve spent more than other season in history.

Oh I get it. johhny's ten a half years old.

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1371 on: April 11, 2008, 03:03:15 am »
Its fairly certain we have inherited  the Doug Ellis of American sports owner(s), its now damage limitation and how fast we can get rid of this leech and the other one.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #1372 on: April 11, 2008, 03:06:49 am »

Could have come from Parry himself. He gets it right about the menace and cancer that is Hicks, but Henry Winter probably speaks to Coco. The level of support indicates some sympathy for him anyway.

Like I said before, in this situation, Parry is simply the lesser of two evils.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline YouStan Eternity

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1373 on: April 11, 2008, 03:06:51 am »
As i said before this move from Hicks highlights his lack of Power and Control of the club.

Imagine the same situation in you place of work . . Your boss asks you to resign but doesn't have the authority to fire you.

Imagine how emasculating that would be for a man of Hicks background. 

Even if Parry were to resign(Which i don't think he will) its not like Hicks can appoint someone that will fight his corner because he doesn't have the authority.

IMO he's outnumbered and well and truly fucked.

Look...a substantive post!  Wow!  :D

Though I'd agree, I doubt Hicks would 'ask for resignation' without knowing he had the authority....which almost makes me think there's a deal in place for Hicks

It's like Texas hold-em poker...you don't show your cards until you know you have a winning hand...then again, could be a bluff...you can't really show your cards with a bluff...who the hell knows?

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1374 on: April 11, 2008, 03:07:19 am »

well that's just a stupid assumption but mostly what he's saying is right...

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1375 on: April 11, 2008, 03:08:22 am »

winter seems to have some good sources at the club...namely our captain
to be honest i dont mind winter writes some decent stuff and has always been pretty fair about us
Indeed...

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1376 on: April 11, 2008, 03:08:25 am »
Its fairly certain we have inherited  the Doug Ellis of American sports owner(s), its now damage limitation and how fast we can get rid of this leech and the other one.

Naah mate. Hicks is the Freddie Shepherd of American sports owners.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1377 on: April 11, 2008, 03:10:04 am »
well that's just a stupid assumption but mostly what he's saying is right...

Yeah it just irks me when a journo writes what is essentialy a decent artical but then feels the need to add a sly dig/bullshit
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

Offline Alpha

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1378 on: April 11, 2008, 03:18:35 am »
There were perfectly reasonable questions off of MANY RAWKites and he has avoided everyone of them. So IMO he deserve's everything he gets
JohnnyF is one of those guys that spins plates on sticks. Whether you are asking him a question, answering one of his or giving him abuse, he is happy. Just as long as you aren't ignoring him. It's when you start to lose patience that he will finally answer your question, respond to your answer or tell you to grow up. As long as you are engaging, he'll keep you spinning like a plate on a stick. I've seen it a thousand times.

He probably believes what he says about Hicks but that isn't why he says it. A clue to the real reason can be seen in the time it takes him to leave after first accouncing he is leaving. Attention.

Nothing personal Johnny but you've already bored one Liverpool forum to tears. Enough is enough mate.

Offline mazlo123

• Legacy Fan
  • My kind of monster.
« Reply #1379 on: April 11, 2008, 03:19:52 am »

Though I'd agree, I doubt Hicks would 'ask for resignation' without knowing he had the authority....which almost makes me think there's a deal in place for Hicks

It's like Texas hold-em poker...you don't show your cards until you know you have a winning hand...then again, could be a bluff...you can't really show your cards with a bluff...who the hell knows?

He doesn't strike me as a man who asks very often, more of a man that tells.

These are the last actions of a desperate man.
They should go and feast on another dead corpse this one is alive and kicking and it will bite you fucking head off.

Offline JohnSullie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1380 on: April 11, 2008, 03:25:28 am »
Naah mate. Hicks is the Freddie Shepherd of American sports owners.

To be honest Stussy it seems we have  lot worse than those two both combined,sad sad times,not usuallly our way to undermine a progression to the  semis of a European Cup by making this shit public knowlegde,not as if we have fourth clinched yet either is it?,but that fat c*nt has to rattle/undermine the club again in his own intrests.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 03:31:58 am by JohnSullie »

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: April 11, 2008, 03:31:25 am »

If he had authority he wouldn't ask and he wouldn't leak his request to the press. This is about his PR team mis-calculating the level of disdain for him compared with Parry, his team wanted to try and get the fans back onside.

One reason for this is would be that if he is trying to find people to join him in ousting Gillett he needs the package to be as attractive as possible, this would include having a content, trusting fan base.

All in my opinion of course

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: April 11, 2008, 03:34:48 am »

Yeah it just irks me when a journo writes what is essentialy a decent artical but then feels the need to add a sly dig/bullshit

Echo this feeling. However the article is less than half decent. It is what it is - propaganda. It portrays Parry as the good guy and Hicks the bad, white and black with absolutely no intermiediate hues. Instead of being an apologist for Parry, he'd been better off writing how it is in many fans' eyes that Parry is also an evil but a lesser one.

Offline YouStan Eternity

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1383 on: April 11, 2008, 03:37:58 am »
If he had authority he wouldn't ask and he wouldn't leak his request to the press. This is about his PR team mis-calculating the level of disdain for him compared with Parry, his team wanted to try and get the fans back onside.

Frankly, I've never heard of anyone 'asking' for a resignation without authority.  It's generally how high-level executives (and members of political positions) are 'politely' told they are fired while allowing whoever to 'save face.' 

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1384 on: April 11, 2008, 03:42:30 am »
JohnnyF is one of those guys that spins plates on sticks. Whether you are asking him a question, answering one of his or giving him abuse, he is happy. Just as long as you aren't ignoring him. It's when you start to lose patience that he will finally answer your question, respond to your answer or tell you to grow up. As long as you are engaging, he'll keep you spinning like a plate on a stick. I've seen it a thousand times.

He probably believes what he says about Hicks but that isn't why he says it. A clue to the real reason can be seen in the time it takes him to leave after first accouncing he is leaving. Attention.

Nothing personal Johnny but you've already bored one Liverpool forum to tears. Enough is enough mate.

top post just hope a few on here take note...
Indeed...

Offline mazlo123

• Legacy Fan
  • My kind of monster.
« Reply #1385 on: April 11, 2008, 03:43:15 am »
Frankly, I've never heard of anyone 'asking' for a resignation without authority.  It's generally how high-level executives (and members of political positions) are 'politely' told they are fired while allowing whoever to 'save face.' 

Thats why Rick Parry,s refusal to do so has highlighted Hicks lack of muscle in the boardroom

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: April 11, 2008, 03:50:05 am »

Publically yes it would be a polite request but privately it would be an instruction. Hicks isn't able to do that is he? So you haven't disproved anything that I said previously.

Offline JohnSullie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1387 on: April 11, 2008, 03:50:59 am »
Hit him Coco!

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1388 on: April 11, 2008, 03:57:30 am »
It is what it is - propaganda. It portrays Parry as the good guy and Hicks the bad, white and black with absolutely no intermiediate hues. Instead of being an apologist for Parry, he'd been better off writing how it is in many fans' eyes that Parry is also an evil but a lesser one.
With no mention that Parry was instrumental getting G&H into LFC in the first place. Probably a One target at a time stratgey.

If there's a significant Anti-Hicks feeling amongst the supporters I guess it'll make it harder to bring other investors in to buy out the club (If that is Hicks' plan)

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1389 on: April 11, 2008, 03:58:26 am »
Publically yes it would be a polite request but privately it would be an instruction. Hicks isn't able to do that is he? So you haven't disproved anything that I said previously.

The newspaper reports say that Tom Hicks Jr sent texts to 'supporters groups' to inform them that he'd made this demand. Seems like he was playing a game to get the grassroots onside. The bloated oaf and his PR team and 'strategists' thinks he's playing an ace card. He knows that Parry is disliked. So he thought this would make everyone take his side.

But he has no idea that he is even more hated than Parry is, and at this point in time, everyone is willing to deal with Coco later, once he is out of the picture and things are settled. He doesn't have a fucking clue. His oafishness and vulgarity is spectacular. It is incredible. You observe him with mouth open.

The man is neutered. He has no power. He's isolated, powerless and humiliated. Its backfired and people hate him even more as DIC take a step back too.

The shame for us is that our board is in complete cold war, and our progress may turn to absolute paralysis this summer, all because of this vulgar hog.

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1390 on: April 11, 2008, 04:03:53 am »
The newspaper reports say that Tom Hicks Jr sent texts to 'supporters groups' to inform them that he'd made this demand. Seems like he was playing a game to get the grassroots onside. The bloated oaf and his PR team and 'strategists' thinks he's playing an ace card. He knows that Parry is disliked. So he thought this would make everyone take his side.

But he has no idea that he is even more hated than Parry is, and at this point in time, everyone is willing to deal with Coco later, once he is out of the picture and things are settled. He doesn't have a fucking clue. His oafishness and vulgarity is spectacular. It is incredible. You observe him with mouth open.

The man is neutered. He has no power. He's isolated, powerless and humiliated. Its backfired and people hate him even more as DIC take a step back too.

The shame for us is that our board is in complete cold war, and our progress may turn to absolute paralysis this summer, all because of this vulgar hog.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: April 11, 2008, 04:07:26 am »
Whilst I think Hicks and Gillett should leave us alone and fuck off, I do share Hicks' call for Parry to resign because he hasn't matched Liverpool's on-field performance with the off-field stuff which he is responsible for.

Offline JohnSullie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1392 on: April 11, 2008, 04:14:24 am »
Texan prick and  that Twat  that brought him here in the first plavce have to go before Coco,Parry might not be the best but he has atleast one braincell compared to those two tits who have no clue how this club was  run,we have become Newcastle in less than 18 months because of these two shitheads.

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1393 on: April 11, 2008, 04:15:02 am »
Have all the arguments you want. I have seen nothing obscene. The rest is up for debate.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1394 on: April 11, 2008, 04:16:36 am »
Whilst I think Hicks and Gillett should leave us alone and fuck off, I do share Hicks' call for Parry to resign because he hasn't matched Liverpool's on-field performance with the off-field stuff which he is responsible for.

Hicks is serving his owner agenda though.  And regardless of what is thought of Parry's performance, it is clear he and the board do stand in Hicks' way in some manner.  How much this counts for is questionable, but can't be entirely discounted.  You sack Parry, and you have to replace him, who with?  And again, who's agenda will the new guy (or gal) be serving?
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1395 on: April 11, 2008, 04:16:49 am »
With no mention that Parry was instrumental getting G&H into LFC in the first place. Probably a One target at a time stratgey.

If there's a significant Anti-Hicks feeling amongst the supporters I guess it'll make it harder to bring other investors in to buy out the club (If that is Hicks' plan)

Parry's fucked us for 10 years now and cost us unquantifiable millions with his decision making, culminating in his support for G&H over DIC. We could have gotten Simao, Alves, many more and all this before G&H came in. But what is more galling is that at the height of the Klinnsmann fiasco before it came into the public domain, he actually had the nerve, during a dinner, to brush off Benitez's influence on the 2005 CL triumph, effectively saying that Benitez was clueless in the game. To me that is posturing and trying to gain support, and that makes him a suspect, possibly the key player, in the plot to remove Benitez.

For those with long memories, where were the words of support from Parry for Benitez in his darkest hour? We've only heard from players like Torres, Reina, Alonso, Arbeloa, Riise, Carra during that time.

Rick Parry is a weasel, make that a weasel with a spanking new Ferrari, and does not deserve our support at all.

Offline JohnSullie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1396 on: April 11, 2008, 04:22:15 am »
Parry's fucked us for 10 years now and cost us unquantifiable millions with his decision making, culminating in his support for G&H over DIC. We could have gotten Simao, Alves, many more and all this before G&H came in. But what is more galling is that at the height of the Klinnsmann fiasco before it came into the public domain, he actually had the nerve, during a dinner, to brush off Benitez's influence on the 2005 CL triumph, effectively saying that Benitez was clueless in the game. To me that is posturing and trying to gain support, and that makes him a suspect, possibly the key player, in the plot to remove Benitez.

For those with long memories, where were the words of support from Parry for Benitez in his darkest hour? We've only heard from players like Torres, Reina, Alonso, Arbeloa, Riise, Carra during that time.

Rick Parry is a weasel, make that a weasel with a spanking new Ferrari, and does not deserve our support at all.
RedRush thats fair enough no one I think is  giving Parry support,but you are playing in to Hicks hands with that talk,he brought these guys to the club,hopefully we  can restore it,and thats when Parry will hang.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1397 on: April 11, 2008, 04:26:54 am »
I agree with you. I wouldn't go as far as 'support' Parry either. The problem is the more succesful the team is, the harder both owners will want to stick it out.

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1398 on: April 11, 2008, 04:39:38 am »
RedRush thats fair enough no one I think is  giving Parry support,but you are playing in to Hicks hands with that talk,he brought these guys to the club,hopefully we  can restore it,and thats when Parry will hang.

I don't think there is anyway things can be restored. I'm taking what Cowtownred once wrote in here into context, about how the club is more divided that what we think it is: Gillette+Parry+Some Players on one side and Hicks+Benitez+Some Players on the other side. This is how it looks like at the moment with the way both Parry and Benitez has been posturing.

We do not need Parry's support in the board. There are still the other board members. Anyone that replaces Parry still needs BOTH Gillette and Hick's approval.

And despite what a lot of people say about the timing, I think that now is the time to get rid of Parry, NOT during the close season when we need to act fast for the club to really move forward.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1399 on: April 11, 2008, 04:46:01 am »
We do not need Parry's support in the board. There are still the other board members. Anyone that replaces Parry still needs BOTH Gillette and Hick's approval.

Board members

Hicks

Hicks Jr

Gillet

Gillet Jr

Moores

Parry

At the moment its four against two. Bring in Hick's appointment and it strengthens his hand. The question is, do you want Hicks hand strengthened?

We're in paralysis either way.