Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586243 times)

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #7880 on: January 7, 2021, 12:50:41 pm »
Just finished "The world is not a cold dead place" by nathan o hagan and would heartily reccomend
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7881 on: January 10, 2021, 10:58:12 am »
Might have mentioned it at the time last year, but that book knocked me off my feet. It should be required reading.

Absolutely loved it mate. A fantastic book.

Imaginative, funny, harrowing, the lot.

Completely changing tack again, and going back to one of my Bill Brysons now, for a bit of comedy gold.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7882 on: January 10, 2021, 11:08:59 am »
Boy Swallows Universe - Trent Dalton

In Boy Swallows Universe, Walkley-winning journalist Trent Dalton bends his own horrific story of a chaotic youth in the heroin-drenched suburbs that Brisbane forgot into a bright and brilliant phantasmagoria – an instant classic of Australian storytelling.

Eli Bell has unfortunate circumstances. His brother is mute, his dad is drunk, his mum is headed for jail, his step-dad deals heroin, his babysitter is a convicted murderer and his only friend seems to be his pen pal… who’s in prison. When he tries to improve these circumstances, things go from bad to horrific and suddenly this novel opens up a whole universe on the page. To try and describe what I mean by all this could spoil the delights of this book. You need to witness it for yourself.

Read Boy Swallows Universe and Eli Bell will take you him on his unfathomable journey – his coming-of-age meets survival story – one that will defy logic and utterly astonish you. It’s exhilarating, funny, heartbreaking, horrifying and all-throughout uncompromising. It’s a book without comparison that Australia, and the world, will fall in love with.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #7883 on: January 10, 2021, 08:51:05 pm »
Mark Lanegan's memoir 'Sing Backwards and Weep'. One of the most brutal memoirs I've ever read. Not a cheery tome. He is an amazing singer songwriter, it must be said.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #7884 on: January 13, 2021, 01:45:22 pm »
Really enjoyed this book

And now i'm onto

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #7885 on: January 13, 2021, 01:48:19 pm »

Would be very interested in an assessment of Calcio, considered buying it recently with Chrimbo gift certs... :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #7886 on: January 13, 2021, 03:03:53 pm »
Would be very interested in an assessment of Calcio, considered buying it recently with Chrimbo gift certs... :wave

On Kindle Unlimited free if you're signed up for it.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7887 on: January 13, 2021, 04:12:31 pm »
I'm in the middle of moving out and have a ton of books I need to box up. I'm now contemplating buying a Kindle to lighten the load in the new house. I'm old school and love reading a book but those Kindles are impressive. Shall I go for it?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7888 on: January 13, 2021, 05:06:19 pm »
Right ...the kindle....

I love mine... but not for everything..

It’s great for novels, pulp fiction etc..  easy on the eye, the reading experience is the same as reading a book. I think there might even be a new one that’s a bit bigger,

For anything with photos forget it, and for anything that factual, or ‘serious’ I  find a proper book better.

So, I’m reading The Wasp Factory on kindle right now, but I’ve got a history of the Norman context lined up on my bedside table for next.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7889 on: January 13, 2021, 05:39:27 pm »

Reading Dynasty by Tom Holland at the moment based on your recommendation mate, fantastic book and I'm grateful for the tip.  Rubicon is already in the post. I'm reading them in the "wrong" order I suppose - I was already so familiar with Julius Caesar that I wasn't sure I would be motivated enough to read it, but it's so engaging that I don't think I will have any trouble!

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #7890 on: January 13, 2021, 05:53:57 pm »
I'm in the middle of moving out and have a ton of books I need to box up. I'm now contemplating buying a Kindle to lighten the load in the new house. I'm old school and love reading a book but those Kindles are impressive. Shall I go for it?

I can only give you the perspective of someone who moved to Sweden, moved back to America, moved to Thailand, moved back to America, and will move abroad again at some point: yes, do it.

I'm still not used to reading on my iPad 100% - I have problems sometimes with it affecting the way I feel about a book. Like it feels somehow to cheapen it reading electronically. But I also recently began to lose my 20/20 sight and have had to start wearing reading glasses after a good 50-year run without them. It sucks balls, but I am actually getting used to it quickly. If I can do that, I can surely get used to ebooks. (And I can change the font size on those, too.) Also, there are certainly people who are more stupid than I am - you wouldn't think so from the way I post on here, but there must be - who have gotten used to them, so I should be able to.

That's what I think - go for it.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #7891 on: January 13, 2021, 06:38:29 pm »
Enjoying the Kindle so far. I only invested in one when the libraries closed in 1st lockdown. 7.99 a month for unlimited isnt bad as the wife reads them as well. Have a check on kindle unlimited to see what kind of books you can get.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #7892 on: January 13, 2021, 07:20:09 pm »

So, I’m reading The Wasp Factory on kindle right now, but I’ve got a history of the Norman context lined up on my bedside table for next.

Is that an extremely witty typo, or marginally imaginative book title?  :D

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #7893 on: January 13, 2021, 08:10:15 pm »
KJ Parker's Blue and Gold. It's short. 60 pages of alchemical wonderfulness.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #7894 on: January 13, 2021, 08:11:57 pm »
I can only give you the perspective of someone who moved to Sweden, moved back to America, moved to Thailand, moved back to America, and will move abroad again at some point: yes, do it.

I'm still not used to reading on my iPad 100% - I have problems sometimes with it affecting the way I feel about a book. Like it feels somehow to cheapen it reading electronically. But I also recently began to lose my 20/20 sight and have had to start wearing reading glasses after a good 50-year run without them. It sucks balls, but I am actually getting used to it quickly. If I can do that, I can surely get used to ebooks. (And I can change the font size on those, too.) Also, there are certainly people who are more stupid than I am - you wouldn't think so from the way I post on here, but there must be - who have gotten used to them, so I should be able to.

That's what I think - go for it.
I've just bought a Kobo libra as it can handle more book types than a kindle. Waterproof. Light. Love it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7895 on: January 13, 2021, 08:41:39 pm »
Is that an extremely witty typo, or marginally imaginative book title?  :D
Oops
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7896 on: January 13, 2021, 08:43:19 pm »
Reading Dynasty by Tom Holland at the moment based on your recommendation mate, fantastic book and I'm grateful for the tip.  Rubicon is already in the post. I'm reading them in the "wrong" order I suppose - I was already so familiar with Julius Caesar that I wasn't sure I would be motivated enough to read it, but it's so engaging that I don't think I will have any trouble!
The good news is that Rubicon is even better... Mind you, Persian Fire is his best book, an absolute triumph of historical story telling about the Greco Persian wars.
W

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #7897 on: January 13, 2021, 08:57:01 pm »
The good news is that Rubicon is even better... Mind you, Persian Fire is his best book, an absolute triumph of historical story telling about the Greco Persian wars.

Very much agreed.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7898 on: January 13, 2021, 09:58:13 pm »
Oops

Tut, tut someone needs some work on their spelling there.  ;)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7899 on: January 14, 2021, 03:31:19 pm »
Shaun Smith - The Debt Collector.

Found it fascinating to be honest, read it because I was once at a crossroads and very close to being there, who knows I could have been him.
Took the right road forward and so happy i had a wise head on my younger self.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7900 on: January 14, 2021, 07:47:30 pm »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7901 on: January 14, 2021, 08:21:00 pm »
Why Nations Fail- Daron Acemoglu

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7902 on: January 17, 2021, 02:27:57 pm »
Just finished Rob Doyle's Threshold, a pretty excellent examination of selfhood, the space between young adulthood and middle age, as well as the 'otherness' of travelling and taking tons of psychedelic drugs.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #7903 on: January 17, 2021, 03:53:39 pm »
Relentless by Eddie Hearn, only read Autobiographies and finished it in 4 days.

Offline candys

• Kemlynite
« Reply #7904 on: January 18, 2021, 07:04:46 pm »
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. It's very informative I wrote an essay abut this bok and got the highest score in the class. Of course with a little help of writing service. They always write my essays at the highest level.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:02:02 am by candys »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7905 on: January 20, 2021, 07:42:22 pm »
I had completely forgotten how much fun Northern Lights was, as it has been years ago that I first read it. But it's just impossible to put down.

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #7906 on: January 21, 2021, 12:16:39 pm »
"Swan Song" by Robert McCammon

Post-nuclear war - survivors, good vs evil.

Very very good, very similar to "The Stand", so if you liked that you'll enjoy this

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7907 on: January 21, 2021, 12:33:10 pm »
The Wasp Factory.

Not sure about it really. It all seemed a bit implausible in the end, and ever step of the story seemed quite grounded in grim realism until that post.
W

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7908 on: January 29, 2021, 08:33:03 pm »
A Perfect Spy by John Le Carre.

When he sadly passed I did read that this was his finest work so ended up purchasing it, a fantastic read, thoroughly enjoyed it, his next books I'm going with the Smiley novels,  but not until I finished my all time favourite book, The Stand by Stephen King. The TV show has been out in the USA since November and should be on UK tv soon, so thought I should read it again, pretty essential reading while a Pandemic is going on.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7909 on: January 29, 2021, 08:49:57 pm »
The Wasp Factory.

Not sure about it really. It all seemed a bit implausible in the end, and ever step of the story seemed quite grounded in grim realism until that post.

I loved that book. Really odd but left an impression. Didn't like his other stuff much though.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7910 on: February 20, 2021, 02:50:51 pm »
Tried to read 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' by John Irving after seeing numerous recommendations. Got around 180 pages in and have given up. Just wasn't going anywhere for me, wasn't interested in the religious subtext or the random tirades about the Vietnam War.

Anyone else read this or other works by Irving? Am I making the right call?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7911 on: February 20, 2021, 03:05:33 pm »
Just re-read the Good Thief’s Guide to.... series.  By Chris Ewan

Really enjoyable numerous crime  series to keep me going in lock down.

I was at university with him, so it was weird to read his books and then realise who they were by. Good lad

W

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
  • We all ride the red and white gallop
« Reply #7912 on: February 20, 2021, 03:37:07 pm »
I'm on a Pynchon binge, and I don't get why people whinge about his alleged difficulty. Didn't take me a week to get through Mason & Dixon.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7913 on: February 20, 2021, 05:24:52 pm »
Just finished Naomi Kleins ‘Shock doctrine. Not like any of it is news, but it is a hard read figuring out just how big is this hole we are in.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7914 on: February 23, 2021, 01:16:54 pm »
Northern Lights completed brilliant read hardly a chance to catch your breath. So, onto The Subtle Knife now.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #7915 on: February 23, 2021, 02:08:07 pm »
I'm on a Pynchon binge, and I don't get why people whinge about his alleged difficulty. Didn't take me a week to get through Mason & Dixon.
Have you read Gravity's Rainbow?

Just Finished The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. 

While I completely enjoyed this as the madcap caper it is, I think I'm missing the cultural element that makes it such a major work for most Russians. Certainly I understand it's relevance to the Soviet era ect, but really feeling it it different. I think we would perhaps feel the same about 1984 in the west.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:52:24 pm by newrosswaterford »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7916 on: February 23, 2021, 03:47:12 pm »
Northern Lights completed brilliant read hardly a chance to catch your breath. So, onto The Subtle Knife now.

I read the series to/with my eldest, when she was about 10/11. I don't know whether it was the stop-start nature of reading to/with kids (anything from 4 to 12 pages of a night at a time), but I didn't particularly enjoy them. And I really wanted to. I found the narrative jumbled, a bit chaotic, and not the deriding of religion that I'd been led to believe.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7917 on: February 23, 2021, 05:08:42 pm »

I read the series to/with my eldest, when she was about 10/11. I don't know whether it was the stop-start nature of reading to/with kids (anything from 4 to 12 pages of a night at a time), but I didn't particularly enjoy them. And I really wanted to. I found the narrative jumbled, a bit chaotic, and not the deriding of religion that I'd been led to believe.

It's different if you read it on your own, the first book I couldn't put it down the first time I read it but that was like years ago when the books first came out. I decided to read them again after seeing the series and its been fascinating as the show have altered bits and added some scenes, which weren't in the book originally. So, I have found it a really interesting exercise re-reading it now.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7918 on: February 25, 2021, 05:03:52 am »
Broken Harbour by Tana French - it was actually suspenseful up to the end

Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - a beautiful love story with some lovely lines. Will be reading her Circe soon.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #7919 on: February 26, 2021, 04:31:58 am »

Yeah, if you pick up "Gravity's Rainbow" and try to tell us it isn't difficult ... well, I won't believe you. It's a masterpiece, but it's not for the faint of heart.

"V" on the other hand is more straightforward, as is "Vineland."
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"