Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 367600 times)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2006, 05:47:08 am »
I bought a new TV a year ago, and ended up getting CRT. Great price/quality.

My next will deffo be a 42" plasma. Got a 32" at the moment and its just not big enough. I used this site quite a lot www.whathomecinemamag.com has has some good reviews but you have to buy the magazine if you want this months articles. I'm looking to buy next year after HD has had chance to bed in.

From the original article, its amazing how many people I know have the screen as bright as possible and stretch the picture to fit the screen.

It's not surprising in the fact that these people don't do their homework before paying out upwards of a couple of grand,they just walk in the shop,listen to a salesman bullshit them for 30 mins and then sign on the dotted line.

I've been reading up on Plasma and LCD now for approx 18 months in preperation of a purchase leaving no stone unturned and I'd be stupid to do otherwise.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline rob76

• Kopite
  • foxx il- united!!
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2006, 07:12:59 am »

It's not surprising in the fact that these people don't do their homework before paying out upwards of a couple of grand,they just walk in the shop,listen to a salesman bullshit them for 30 mins and then sign on the dotted line.

The amount of trust people put in salesmen never ceases to amaze me! When I go to buy something of this caliber I wouldn't even want the salesman to open up his mouth!! But then again some people might have loads of cash to spare (unlike me).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 07:43:47 am by rob76 »

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2006, 11:49:17 am »
I've got an HDTV setup here and there are a couple of demo channels live. It is absolutely beautiful. I only have a 30" screen (it's a monitor, not a telly), and it looks perfect from less than 2' away. The picture is physically four times the size of DVD resolution (twice as wide, twice as high), but unfortunately the bitrate is about 4 times as high, too, meaning if you want to record a film in HDTV, you're looking at 15-20 GB HD space (or 5 DVDs).

The World Cup will definitely be available in HDTV, as Premiere are already bigging it up, and I'll definitely be ordering it soon :D

I'd recommend waiting a year or so before getting HDTV: so far only the odd bit of sport and some US series are available in HDTV (if you can even receive it) and the technology to save your recordings isn't available yet (HD DVD, Bluray). I already have the setup I need here and HDTV is available from Premiere, but I haven't ordered it yet because I have no idea what to do with the recordings.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2006, 01:28:16 am »
Thanks  for the advice wacko. :thumbup
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #44 on: February 9, 2006, 08:43:48 pm »
Anyone here noticed the HD Sky Movie Channels now available? 311, 312 for Sky digital people
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2006, 07:53:19 am »
Anyone here noticed the HD Sky Movie Channels now available? 311, 312 for Sky digital people

Have been reading on avforums.com that these are channels that are going to be available via SkyHD.  You will have to subscribe, as well as buy a box.  On afore mentioned forum, talk is of the cost of the box being between £400-700!

Ouch - only last year got Sky+ so think I am gonna wait a while till I have a decent TV and wait till Sky drop their prices!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2006, 11:06:48 am »
Anyone know if the cable suppliers will be releasing any HDTV stuff. Not sure if these channels will be available on Telewest.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2006, 06:55:29 pm »
Anyone know if the cable suppliers will be releasing any HDTV stuff. Not sure if these channels will be available on Telewest.

Yep,Telewest certainly are and Graeme is trialling the box now which is called TVDrive.The box will be free with a subscription charge,probably £10 a month,so it's gonna be a lot cheaper than Sky and probably the route I go.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline rob89

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2006, 09:43:48 pm »
just think how gd a xbox360 or ps3 would  be like with hdtv

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2006, 01:52:15 pm »
New Channel - Sky Sports HD 405 , have not noticed this before today.

The schedule is the same as Sky Sports1  401, but in HD format.

Phone no. is given so that those with HD TVs can sign up. New box needed?

I hope to buy a new TV this year but will not be forking out  more money yet for HD box as only bought Sky+ one year ago.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

hoonin

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2006, 06:56:49 pm »
Dont know if a knew box is needed as a lot of TV's are "HDTV Ready". Hope nothing new is needed as got me eye on a nice Samsung.

Our game is on HD TV tonight.

Bah. Just checked and you defo need a Sky HD box.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 07:00:57 pm by Gareth »

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2006, 07:02:25 pm »
You will need a new box. http://hd.sky.com/

Offline 5starchampions

• Anny Roader
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2006, 12:39:28 am »
any one watch last nights match on HDTV if so how much different is it?
i cant see it being much better to be honest

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2006, 11:06:21 am »
5star -   HD is on limited channels in States and Japan.

Everyone who has seen it says it blows all previous TV pictures out of the water. It is breathtaking.

Sky are rolling it out now, with the big sell coming for the World Cup in the summer. I expect the boxes will be £199 again, + extra subsciption ,but I'm only guessing.

We will want it.It's just a case of how much we can afford!
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2006, 03:11:10 pm »
Telewest will be free box + subscription,bollocks to Sky.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2006, 06:35:05 pm »
Telewest will be free box + subscription,bollocks to Sky.

And Telewest wont have HD Sky content for god knows how long, just like they never had Sky Sports xtra and Sky Movies 2-9 for god knows how long

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2006, 05:33:40 am »
And Telewest wont have HD Sky content for god knows how long, just like they never had Sky Sports xtra and Sky Movies 2-9 for god knows how long

Says who?

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2006, 10:33:59 am »

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2006, 03:27:12 pm »
Says past experience

Well considering the likes of Sky Sports Extra was hardly a major coup for anyone,then I can't see where the problem will lie.If Sky was going to hold back channels,it surely would have been Sky Sports 1,Sky's major Sports channel,but as far as I'm aware,that was always on Telewest.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2006, 05:52:21 pm »
Well considering the likes of Sky Sports Extra was hardly a major coup for anyone,then I can't see where the problem will lie.If Sky was going to hold back channels,it surely would have been Sky Sports 1,Sky's major Sports channel,but as far as I'm aware,that was always on Telewest.

Sky signed a deal with the cable companies individually many years ago to provide Sky Sports 1-3 and Movien (when cable was many franchises - Yorkshire Cable, Cabletime, Telewest etc). Since Sky launched their digital service, they have been pushing hard to get more and more customers on board before the analogue switch-off happens.

The problem for cable viewers was when Sky got rights to the Champions League. Games were put on Sky Sports Xtra in the first season Sky had coverage, and the cable companies never had this channel (it was added much later, after Sky had benefited from their exclusive). Add this to the fact that Sky customers had 9 movie screens for years, yet cable companies only offered viewers 3 of the 9 screens and charged more than Sky for them until not so long ago.

The current exculsive with Sky over cable is the match choices on Football First and the Champions League. HD will be the next. It's Sky's strategy. Otherwise, why would people take their dish instead of cable?

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2006, 05:57:10 pm »
Sky signed a deal with the cable companies individually many years ago to provide Sky Sports 1-3 and Movien (when cable was many franchises - Yorkshire Cable, Cabletime, Telewest etc). Since Sky launched their digital service, they have been pushing hard to get more and more customers on board before the analogue switch-off happens.

The problem for cable viewers was when Sky got rights to the Champions League. Games were put on Sky Sports Xtra in the first season Sky had coverage, and the cable companies never had this channel (it was added much later, after Sky had benefited from their exclusive). Add this to the fact that Sky customers had 9 movie screens for years, yet cable companies only offered viewers 3 of the 9 screens and charged more than Sky for them until not so long ago.

The current exculsive with Sky over cable is the match choices on Football First and the Champions League. HD will be the next. It's Sky's strategy. Otherwise, why would people take their dish instead of cable?

Agree with that, even more so as its a new technology they will want to show case it them selves... aswell as taking all the subscriptions. You can't get much better timing than just before the world cup for this (unless they are late!).

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 2, 2006, 12:29:17 am »
I've got to make a choice soon, my old trusted Sony is sound only for 20 minutes when I switch on at 6am in the morning! :(

Socrates

Offline carven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #62 on: March 2, 2006, 02:39:50 am »
Dont know if anyone's mentioned but it is also worth noting that if the channel that you're watching isnt in HD format, your HDTV will make the images look at least 2x worst than your normal old fashioned TV.

I think its due to the HDTV magnifying the poor quality pixels larger. or some other business.

One of my mates have one and we watch a HD enabled DVD on it. The graphics are boss. :)

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 2, 2006, 05:42:27 am »
Dont know if anyone's mentioned but it is also worth noting that if the channel that you're watching isnt in HD format, your HDTV will make the images look at least 2x worst than your normal old fashioned TV.

I think its due to the HDTV magnifying the poor quality pixels larger. or some other business.

One of my mates have one and we watch a HD enabled DVD on it. The graphics are boss. :)

Who the fuck has told you that.Complete jibberish.

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 2, 2006, 11:20:16 am »
You can download HD footage from the Sky HD site.

www.sky.com/hd
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 2, 2006, 11:33:27 am »

www.sky.com/hd
Spoke with a fella who works for Sky and he said everything is ready. Signal is already being broadcast. Boxes are ready, 10,000 people signed up as interested they are just waiting for the day... If you are lucky enough to live in Italy we still have footy broadcast in analogue aspect 4:3! bastards, although they have just brought out My Sky which is Sky plus. Maybe I'll be able to watch HD footy by the time "Clearer than life mega-o-vision" comes out  ::)

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #66 on: March 2, 2006, 12:47:16 pm »

www.sky.com/hd

Quality on them is amazing. Only viewing the movies on a 15 inch LCD screen at uni. Gonna try my 19' CRT at home to see if theres any difference cause the resolution of the actual file is larger than what this monitor can display
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #67 on: March 2, 2006, 01:54:09 pm »
If you are lucky enough to live in Italy we still have footy broadcast in analogue aspect 4:3!

Pretty much every country is, right pain in the arse when European Aways are on telly.

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 2, 2006, 02:05:52 pm »
Pretty much every country is, right pain in the arse when European Aways are on telly.
Good point, they do actually show a couple of Italian games on the 16:9 channel which is at least a step in the right direction. Football on TV is bad enough but having two massive black lines down each side just makes it worse, its almost like they are laughing at you... "you're not at the game... and you cant' see whats going on here..."

Offline carven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #69 on: March 3, 2006, 06:31:01 am »
Who the fuck has told you that.Complete jibberish.

Can I watch normal shows on my HDTV?

Of course you can! Although, depending on your TV, the images might not be the quality you expect. Because of the difference in scaling between an HD and analog television, programs shot in standard definition sometimes end up being stretched and scaled up in order to fit the high-def size. Needless to say, this won't look that great.

Source: http://www.discoverychannel.ca/discoveryhd/hd_basics/

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 3, 2006, 01:39:41 pm »
If you want to know about HDTV,have a look at  www.avforums.com

There are thousands,if not millions out there with HDTV who are watching very good pictures from an SD source with HDTV's.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #71 on: March 3, 2006, 04:03:16 pm »
If you want to know about HDTV,have a look at  www.avforums.com

There are thousands,if not millions out there with HDTV who are watching very good pictures from an SD source with HDTV's.

Still not as good as a CRT though ;)

As somebody said in another thread a while ago, if you do get a HD set you do need to do a bit of work tweaking the settings rather than just watching the ridiculous defaults settings, otherwise you really will think its a terrible TV

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2006, 07:59:04 pm »
I love this old Sony CRT, filo, it's eleven years old now and I have to leave it on all day so the missus can pop in to watch her programmes. It's on it's last legs - even though it is an inanimate object - I'll miss it when it goes.  :-[

Socrates

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2006, 05:18:57 pm »
Samsung are releasing a HD ready CRT TV for Europe. The screen is expected in the UK in May for around £350

CTV-32Z30
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline rob76

• Kopite
  • foxx il- united!!
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2006, 08:48:39 am »
Samsung are releasing a HD ready CRT TV for Europe. The screen is expected in the UK in May for around £350

CTV-32Z30
Just read about that CRT and it sounds boss...
Unless you are restricted by the depth of the unit (e.g. wanting to hang onto a wall), I really wouldn't got for an LCD or Plasma. Loads of moneyt down the drain.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2006, 11:20:16 am »
I believe some of the earlier models of the slimline CRTs had a few problems so I'd do a bit of research on the newer models before going down that path

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2006, 02:45:59 pm »
And for £350,it must be a belter  ::)

Offline RedGeo

• Main Stander
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2006, 03:50:10 pm »
5star -   HD is on limited channels in States and Japan.

Everyone who has seen it says it blows all previous TV pictures out of the water. It is breathtaking.

Sky are rolling it out now, with the big sell coming for the World Cup in the summer. I expect the boxes will be £199 again, + extra subsciption ,but I'm only guessing.

We will want it.It's just a case of how much we can afford!
Just got my email from sky today and they want 30 quid deposit now (so as to be one of the first) followed bythe remainer of the 299quid for the box with a tenner subscription per month.  Not sure as of yet when I'll sign up but will at some stage.
BTW does anyone have an HD plasma?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2006, 05:24:46 pm »
Just got my email from sky today and they want 30 quid deposit now (so as to be one of the first) followed bythe remainer of the 299quid for the box with a tenner subscription per month.  Not sure as of yet when I'll sign up but will at some stage.
BTW does anyone have an HD plasma?

Got the same mail as well.

I will be getting a new HDTV ,plasma is my choice at the moment and will end up with Sky HD I well imagine.From what I have seen at the moment,there isn't a great deal on TVDrive from Telewest  and there is a problem with picture shift on the HDMI connection.

According to form the World Cup will now be screened in HD but as a I work nights and will miss most of the games,then it's not a priority to get it as soon as possible.Think I'll give it a few months and monitor the response to Sky HD before taking the plunge.

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2006, 09:52:19 am »
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆