Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 367604 times)

Offline lukas

• Legacy Fan
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #200 on: May 9, 2006, 10:39:37 am »
I wouldn't bother mate. Took mine back as there were just too many little issues with it. I bought it on the strength of one review I read on ZDNet (I think), which in hindsight turned out to be overplaying the quality of the TV somewhat. Still, the price tells it all really, it is a lot cheaper than other models and not that much worse off in terms of quality, but the difference is noticeable.

Not worth having one unless you have HD progs to watch, which will cost you about 300 to have installed by Sky.

Just out of interest Gareth, what was your samsung model number?  Weve had ours a fews weeks now its fine really.
PSN:lr3487

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: May 9, 2006, 01:29:19 pm »
16 days till SKY HD arrives. 8)

Let us know how it goes.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: May 9, 2006, 02:21:17 pm »
Just spoke to the SKY feller and have found out that although the flats I live in have a communal dish and piped around I will still be able to get SKY+. At present there's only the sky digital, but if I can live without the two LNB feeds, then I can get digital (with all the bits and bobs), but just wont be able to record a program whilst watching another.

Im unsure wether to go for the digital and just get a DVD recorder with a hard drive.

Apparently there's now a 10 week delivery for HD boxes as well.  :(
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: May 9, 2006, 09:54:34 pm »
Just spoke to the SKY feller and have found out that although the flats I live in have a communal dish and piped around I will still be able to get SKY+. At present there's only the sky digital, but if I can live without the two LNB feeds, then I can get digital (with all the bits and bobs), but just wont be able to record a program whilst watching another.

Im unsure wether to go for the digital and just get a DVD recorder with a hard drive.

Apparently there's now a 10 week delivery for HD boxes as well.  :(

Exactly the same situation as me mate. Communal flats, one line in etc.

Works fine and you can still watch a recorded programme whilst recording another. All I've done is buy a cheap freeview box so you can watch the freeview channels whilst recording via Sky+.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2006, 10:00:34 am »
Exactly the same situation as me mate. Communal flats, one line in etc.

Works fine and you can still watch a recorded programme whilst recording another. All I've done is buy a cheap freeview box so you can watch the freeview channels whilst recording via Sky+.

Nice one mate...never thought of doing it that way.  :)  Helps that my telly comes with the freeview channels as well. Spot on.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2006, 01:46:57 pm »
Nice one mate...never thought of doing it that way.  :)  Helps that my telly comes with the freeview channels as well. Spot on.

Also, if you get a telly with Picture in Picture you can have footy on the main screen (Sky) and Soccer Saturday or whatever (Freeview in through a different AV input) on in the bottom corner so you're not missing anything :)

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2006, 04:03:19 pm »
Also, if you get a telly with Picture in Picture you can have footy on the main screen (Sky) and Soccer Saturday or whatever (Freeview in through a different AV input) on in the bottom corner so you're not missing anything :)
As long as it also comes with an extra set of eyes and a better partitioned brain?  ;)

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2006, 04:57:53 pm »
As long as it also comes with an extra set of eyes and a better partitioned brain?  ;)

;D

The missus is amazed how I can cope perfectly fine with two channels running but fail to hear what she says half the time.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2006, 01:12:27 pm »
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/667365?camp_id=email_w02_epsonproj

this seems a really good offer, but am sure it isnt, anyone got any info or can understand the tecnical crap

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2006, 02:12:20 pm »
Just having a quick glance it is NOT HD ready due to the resolution count.

You must have a t least 720 vertical lines to count as HD ready.

It does say it's HD compatible,which it may be,but it's deffo not HD ready.

Personally,I'd spend my money else where.

You also open another can of worms with projectors.

They give great results for very large screens but they are impractical for day to day viewing and are best suited to dedicated home cinema set ups that have black out blinds installed etc.Wouldn't want to watch a projector on a day like this with the sun belting in.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2006, 02:15:37 pm »
Just having a quick glance it is NOT HD ready due to the resolution count.

You must have a t least 720 vertical lines to count as HD ready.

It does say it's HD compatible,which it may be,but it's deffo not HD ready.

Personally,I'd spend my money else where.

You also open another can of worms with projectors.

They give great results for very large screens but they are impractical for day to day viewing and are best suited to dedicated home cinema set ups that have black out blinds installed etc.Wouldn't want to watch a projector on a day like this with the sun belting in.

cheers mate was unsure on the hd bit

will keep looking

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2006, 11:29:41 am »
All set up and running nicely. No HD Sky though. Connected my PC up to it last night to see what it was like....looks good and 42inch gaming is kinda cool. Especially with the surround sound malarky on.

PC going back to its normal place though, and cabling to be tidied up.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2006, 11:30:40 am »
Show-off.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2006, 11:32:52 am »
All set up and running nicely. No HD Sky though. Connected my PC up to it last night to see what it was like....looks good and 42inch gaming is kinda cool. Especially with the surround sound malarky on.

love that tv, you are sucha  show off, and you guessed it im jealous

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2006, 12:52:01 pm »

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2006, 12:57:16 pm »
It's ok I guess.

;)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2006, 01:17:23 pm »

Very nice Blert.

How far away do you watch it and at first,was it a bit overpowering.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: May 24, 2006, 01:45:54 pm »
Probably about 3m away mate. Have set up the sound system as well now, which makes a big difference.

I got the panasonic home theatre system as well, which reduces the amount of leads etc as it has the DVD player built in and am using composite connection. There's no HDMI connection on the theatre system though which is a shame. I have a DVD player with HDMI which is now sitting on my old telly in the bedroom.

The set was a bit bright to start with but theres plenty of settings to change things with. I was surprised how good the normal TV sound was and effect changing the settings for music etc had. But obviously the home theatre is better.

I had a quick shot of FEAR on the PC through the whole system last night with the lights turned out. I don't normally play games but its's a whole different atmosphere with it set up. Not that I'm allowed my PC in the living room like.

Not 100% on the stand either, but as I'm renting the flat I doubt they'd be too happy with big holes in the wall when I move on.  :-\

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #218 on: May 29, 2006, 06:46:55 pm »
Billy / Keith I need some help…

I bought my TV the other week, went for the Panasonic TH37PX60 but I’m confused with the whole “HD ready” thing….

I’ve been searching the net and it seems that I now need a HD receiver, right?  My question is can this be your actual aerial or has it got to be another box?  I don’t have an aerial on my house yet and plan to get someone out next week, I know I need a freeview/digital aerial but can you get HD ones an’ all?

Cheers

RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2006, 07:25:03 pm »
Our new Sony KDL32v2000 is coming out of the box right now. Hope it's a good'un like as I have no idea about TVs ;D Gonna get a new sound system for it aswell maybe later in the week.

I was pushing for the idea of fixing the tube on our broken tv but parents insisted on making an investment with an LCD so who's to complain...
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2006, 09:03:56 pm »

I bought my TV the other week, went for the Panasonic TH37PX60 but I’m confused with the whole “HD ready” thing….

I’ve been searching the net and it seems that I now need a HD receiver, right?  My question is can this be your actual aerial or has it got to be another box?  I don’t have an aerial on my house yet and plan to get someone out next week, I know I need a freeview/digital aerial but can you get HD ones an’ all?

Cheers

Hi Christine

You are quite right,you will need a HD receiver to receive televised HD pictures.

Currently,as far as I'm aware you can have Sky HD or Telewest's TVDrive.

You will not be able to receive HD through your existing aerial and as far as I'm aware there are no HD freeview boxes available.

Your TV (good choice by the way) already has a freeview tuner so you'll not need a freeview box,just an aerial.Then you can decide if you want to get Sky HD or TVDrive.

You can also play HD clips from a PC if you have one set up near the TV.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2006, 09:05:03 pm »
Our new Sony KDL32v2000 is coming out of the box right now. Hope it's a good'un like as I have no idea about TVs ;D Gonna get a new sound system for it aswell maybe later in the week.

I was pushing for the idea of fixing the tube on our broken tv but parents insisted on making an investment with an LCD so who's to complain...

Can't believe anyone would go out and pay that kind of money for anything without doing the research first.No wonder the likes of Comet and Curry's will never go bust.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2006, 09:31:04 pm »
Can't believe anyone would go out and pay that kind of money for anything without doing the research first.No wonder the likes of Comet and Curry's will never go bust.

Should've said, even though I have no clue (which is why I was saying not to bother with a plasma/lcd) my old man and brother know a lot more and have taken their time over it, so I'm hoping they have done their research.

btw, I was going to ask - how exactly does HDTV ready sets 'upgrade'/improve the quality of non HDTV signals? And to what extent does it do it? I mean, should you expect a signficant improvment, minimal? Or does it entirely depend on the age of the program?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:42:46 pm by Guz-kop »
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2006, 10:53:29 pm »

I think thats also echoed in this......

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #224 on: May 29, 2006, 11:01:52 pm »
I think thats also echoed in this......

How?

I looked at tones of TV's and spent months reading reviews.  I read this thread from start to end and just didn’t get the HD part even though' I was always going to get a HD ready one, hardly a big deal.

thanks Keith  :)
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2006, 11:07:58 pm »
Should've said, even though I have no clue (which is why I was saying not to bother with a plasma/lcd) my old man and brother know a lot more and have taken their time over it, so I'm hoping they have done their research.

btw, I was going to ask - how exactly does HDTV ready sets 'upgrade'/improve the quality of non HDTV signals? And to what extent does it do it? I mean, should you expect a signficant improvment, minimal? Or does it entirely depend on the age of the program?

There are varying factors to how a picture is produced on HD sets.

It can be down to the signal the set receives,some SD signals can  be good and others can be bad to say the least.It's all to do with bandwidth and the fact the data has to be compressed because of this.Some signals are compressed more than others which leads to poorer pictures.

You'll generally find the premium channels on Sky for example gives very good quality pictures compared to some of the others.

It also has a lot to do with the internal scaler of the TV as well.SD pictures don't share the native resolution of HD ready sets,the HD ready sets have more pixels (the little dots the screen is made up of) than the signal it's receiving,so to make the picture fill the screen,the electrical wizadry known as the scaler,has to do it's work to make the picture fit.Some TV's scale better than others.

It's not possible to make the signal better on a HD set when being fed SD material,it's just a matter of if you can tell the picture has been scaled.Of course,if you are going from a 26 inch CRT TV that's not very good,to a quality £2000 Plasma,then it will possibly look better because the CRT picture wasn't the best to start with.On the other hand,if you take a top line CRT picture,no plasma or LCD screen will give a better picture sourced from SD material.

Some screens,like LCD can suffer also from motion blur because the LCD can't turn it's pixels on or off quick enough.This can be seen on fast action scenes or sports.Again,some screens perform better than others.

If you are happy with it,then that's all that matters.

Offline mikeh

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2006, 12:36:59 am »
Funny because readin this thread has told me alot about TV's.

This is my dads baby if you know what i mean, he wants a quality TV with a quality picture. Salesman told him that a 42 inch would be too big (shortest viewing in the room from the couch is about 9 feet and the longest is about 16-20) give some bull shit story about headaches. Anyway i found somethin on avforums and Cnet reveiws and i know this is complete bollocks.

I want to get the same as spartacus (chris?) but the 42" one, "PANASONIC TH42PX60CAB". So i'd be hapy to hear anythn about this telly?

Anyway, speakin to me ma and dad if we want one really soon then interest free is the way forward. So i have found it for £1499 with 12 months interest free.

However, on John Lewis its £1795 with a dvd recorder ( which we dont need). But the big thing with John Lewis is you get 5 years guarantee. I know they ul price match(locally) but the other company is based in Worcestershire so i dont know whether they will take that company into consideration.

I think what im basically trying to say is, whats more improtant:

1. Saving £300 and dont have to pay for the thing for 12 months.
2. Getting a 5 year guarantee

Obviously the best thing to do would be to get john lewis to price match them but i'd like to do this without me dad drivin 2hrs + to Worcestershire.

Actually, i think what im sayin is that, is a guarantee really needed or just a sales gimmick byt john lewis?

I'm happy to any advice cos i aint got a clue and me dad is even worse, cheers :wave

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 12:53:53 am by kingkenny2 »

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2006, 10:51:49 am »
Funny because readin this thread has told me alot about TV's.

This is my dads baby if you know what i mean, he wants a quality TV with a quality picture. Salesman told him that a 42 inch would be too big (shortest viewing in the room from the couch is about 9 feet and the longest is about 16-20) give some bull shit story about headaches. Anyway i found somethin on avforums and Cnet reveiws and i know this is complete bollocks.

I want to get the same as spartacus (chris?) but the 42" one, "PANASONIC TH42PX60CAB". So i'd be hapy to hear anythn about this telly?

Anyway, speakin to me ma and dad if we want one really soon then interest free is the way forward. So i have found it for £1499 with 12 months interest free.

However, on John Lewis its £1795 with a dvd recorder ( which we dont need). But the big thing with John Lewis is you get 5 years guarantee. I know they ul price match(locally) but the other company is based in Worcestershire so i dont know whether they will take that company into consideration.

I think what im basically trying to say is, whats more improtant:

1. Saving £300 and dont have to pay for the thing for 12 months.
2. Getting a 5 year guarantee

Obviously the best thing to do would be to get john lewis to price match them but i'd like to do this without me dad drivin 2hrs + to Worcestershire.

Actually, i think what im sayin is that, is a guarantee really needed or just a sales gimmick byt john lewis?

I'm happy to any advice cos i aint got a clue and me dad is even worse, cheers :wave

John Lewis will pricematch nationally but not internet websites.There must be a bricks and mortar shop and there must be stock and a shelf price displayed.As for the guarantee being a gimmick,how can it be when it's free,their customer service is second to none and to be honest,if I was paying upwards of £2000 and it broke down after 2 years,I wouldn't be happy if I had no help other than trying to get compensation through the Sales of Goods Act.

You can also get any John Lewis to pricematch and get it delivered via your nearest John Lewis.

As for the Panasonic PX60,yes,it's a very good set and probably only bettered in picture quality in that  price range by the Pioneer SXE. The Pioneer only has one HDMI socket though.

Of course,there is the option of going for a panel only which will have no tuner,no speakers etc,but if you have Sky,Telewest or Freeview and a Home cinema package then you don';t need those things anyway.But that's another story with all it's foibles to be explained.

If you just want to plug and play so to speak,you can beat the Panasonic or the Pioneer mentioned above.

Check this thread out on AVForums about the PX60.Beware though,it's over 90 pages long.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312486
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:53:28 am by keithcun »

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2006, 01:33:22 pm »
Bollocks to HD....42 inch porn is where its at

Offline mikeh

• Kopite
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2006, 03:07:34 pm »
Sorry i didnt mean a gimmick as such, i just meant is there a good chance we could need the guarantee.

As for the website it has got a shop but im not sure how to go about proving the price to john Lewis.

Im going to read that AV forums but just wanted to ask one more thing, i've heard somethin about displaying 720 and 1080 and that tellys at the mo are only on 720 but when the real HD gets goin you need 1080 for a perfect picture. Im a bit confused to be honest.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2006, 03:36:20 pm »
Sorry i didnt mean a gimmick as such, i just meant is there a good chance we could need the guarantee.

As for the website it has got a shop but im not sure how to go about proving the price to john Lewis.

Im going to read that AV forums but just wanted to ask one more thing, i've heard somethin about displaying 720 and 1080 and that tellys at the mo are only on 720 but when the real HD gets goin you need 1080 for a perfect picture. Im a bit confused to be honest.

As for guarantee,it's there if you ever need it.If you don't need it,it doesn't matter because it never cost you anything.

As for the pricematch for John Lewis.

Send them an E-Mail giving the details of the shop,ie name and address and  the price they are selling at.John Lewis will then someone round to check the price in the shop and availability.If they are happy that everythings above board and correct then you should then get your pricematch.

You'll have to bear with me on the next point.

To get a perfect picture from a 1080 signal you will require a screen that has a pixel count of 1920 x 1080.This means that the signal will fit perfectly to the resolution of the screen.If your screen does not have the above pixel count,then the internal scaler will have to make the signal fit the resolution of your screen.This is where the varying differences in picture quality come from.Some brands have good internal scalers,others don't.

The same applies to 720 signals as well.720 requires a pixel count of 1280 x 720 pixels.

You can buy external scalers that will scale the image before it gets to the TV and these are of a higher quality than the TV's internal scaler,but so is the price,as you are looking at £700 and above for a good one.

You also have different formats with the signals.

there is 720p,1080i and 1080p.

The i stands for interlaced and the p stands for progressive.The best picture at the moment you can get is 1080p,but getting a Plasma that has this feature is more difficult.Pioneer are releasing the first 1080p plasma at a size of 50" but you are probably talking around £5000 to buy.

Here is something I copied and pasted to inform you of the difference between interlaced and progressive.

Interlaced and progressive explained

Interlaced - as used with 1080/60i and 1080/50i (that's what the 'i' stands for) - refreshes the screen in two goes. It changes what's seen on every other picture line in one pass and the remaining lines in the next. The refresh rate will vary from country to country. In the UK it's 25 frames per second and involves, in effect, 50 half-screens per second. The way in which an interlaced signal is handled means that, potentially, there can be problems with rolling lines but usually only in larger displays and even then, that shouldn't be noticeable if the set is working properly. In theory, 1080i may also show artefacts caused by fast-moving objects but until we'd had a lot more time in front of different types of HD footage, we're unwilling to be drawn into the progressive vs interlaced debate.

Progressive - as used with 720/60p, 720/50p, 720/24p and 1080/24p - changes the complete image you see on screen in one go, so each new screenful is, in effect, like a single frame on a roll of movie film. Progressive, theoretically, guarantees smooth-looking pictures because it won't show any rolling lines, nor artefacts caused by fast-moving objects. The refresh rate can vary from country to country and from application to application. AVCHD is able to record progressive at 50 or 60 full frames per second - and we'd expect that to produce very sharp, clear pictures - and also at 24-frames-per-second for a cod film-look mode.

Combining 1080 and progressive promises the best of both worlds - the highest resolution paired with the smoothest picture, so the fact that AVCHD supports 1080 progressive could be seen as something of a coup. Until its announcement, there was little obvious prospect of 1080 progressive being used in the foreseeable future - not for HDTV transmission nor for HD discs. Sony and Panasonic, though, both make HD sets capable of showing 1080 progressive and we see that as another reason why the two companies are introducing AVCHD - to grow sales of these very upmarket HDTV sets.

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2006, 07:18:11 pm »
Does anyone know anything about Wharfedale LCD TV's?

Argos are advertising a 27 inch, intergrated freeview, HD ready (via DVI) LCD tv for £500!!! on their website and i must say it sounds a bit too good to be true

i know Wharfedale are more reknowned for their speaker systems and the like but does anybody know anything about their TV's?

also what does HD via DVI mean?

Wharfedale LCD2710HDAF 27in W/S Integrated Digital LCD TV. 

Was £799.99  

Now £499.99

Silver.

27in (68.5cm) TV with 68cm visible screen size.

Resolution 1280 x 720 pixels.

Brightness 550cd/m2.

Contrast 900:1.

High definition ready.

Nicam stereo sound.

2 x 8w RMS power output.

Teletext with fastext.

UHF and VHF tuners.

Auto setup.

Auto search tuner.

Auto search sorting.

Auto search labelling.

Sleep timer.

Child lock.

NTSC compatible.

Headphone socket.

Front/side AV socket.

DC socket.

PC input.

2 SCART sockets.

Remote control requires 2 x AAA batteries (supplied).

230v AC mains operation.

Complete with stand.

Suitable for wall mounting brackets (supplied).

Size of TV (H)44.6, (W)79.5, (D)9.9cm.

Size with stand (H)59.5, (W)79.5, (D)9.9cm.

Weight of TV 13kg.

Weight of stand 2kg.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 07:26:03 pm by LymmRed »

Offline mikeh

• Kopite
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2006, 08:42:39 pm »
cheers keith, i understood most of that.

So the 1080p telly are startin to come out but at higher prices so im guessin there going to be the next big thing and that with a 1080p telly you are getting a much better HD picture when the whole thing is up and runnin.

So is it best waitin for them or isnt it going to make that much of a difference as when they do come out and then become cheaper to get one there will be somethin better. Because there is not much chance of us payin more than 2 grand. Really, is it just a never ending cycle?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:52:47 pm by kingkenny2 »

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2006, 05:05:38 am »
cheers keith, i understood most of that.

So the 1080p telly are startin to come out but at higher prices so im guessin there going to be the next big thing and that with a 1080p telly you are getting a much better HD picture when the whole thing is up and runnin.

So is it best waitin for them or isnt it going to make that much of a difference as when they do come out and then become cheaper to get one there will be somethin better. Because there is not much chance of us payin more than 2 grand. Really, is it just a never ending cycle?

It's a bit of a mixed bag really concerning the 1080p becasue Sky will be broadcating in 1080i which all HD ready TV's will display,although most will have to downscale the picture to suit the TV's native resolution.So you won't get any benefit for sky apart from the native resolution of 1080.
On the other hand,Blu Ray and HD DVD will output 1080p so you will get the full benefit of the 1080p TV.

From some sources I've heard though,it will take a very keen eye to spot the difference between a 1080i picture and a 1080p picture so there is a question over whether it's worth waiting till these screens are more common or just going ahead and buying the best screen you can afford now.

And yes,unforunately it's like PC's and a never ending cycle,it's just having the balls to jump on the wagon at some stage.I was hoping to purchase a screen this summer,but Pioneer are a few months away from releasing their new sets and Panasonic are about the same on releasing their new panels which will use the same screen as the PX60 and PX600 which are currently available.So I have a feeling I'm going to wait to see what these 2 bring.I'll be gutted to buy one now and then in a couple of months find I could have had something better for similar money.

To be honest,if you jumped on now,you can't go wrong with the Panasonic 42" PX60 which is retailing for about £1800 with the built in cabinet or around £1500 with just a pedestal.Or the Pioneer 43" SXE which is retailing around £2000.The disadvantage of the Pioneer is that it only has one HDMI socket,for two HDMI sockets on the Pioneer you'll need either the  need the 43" RXE which has the tuner built in like the SXE or the 43" XDE which has a seperate multimedia box that contains the tuner.Unfortunately these retail at around the £2300 mark,but they all share the same screen.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2006, 05:14:10 am »
Does anyone know anything about Wharfedale LCD TV's?

Argos are advertising a 27 inch, intergrated freeview, HD ready (via DVI) LCD tv for £500!!! on their website and i must say it sounds a bit too good to be true

i know Wharfedale are more reknowned for their speaker systems and the like but does anybody know anything about their TV's?

also what does HD via DVI mean?

As for the TV,can't help you as I haven't done too much research on LCD,but at the end of the day,you get what you pay for.I wouldn't buy it unless I had seen it running with HD material,SD material etc.

As for HD via DVI,it means that HD will be fed into the screen via the DVI port.The DVI port is a digital connection for video only whereas HDMI is a digital video and audio port.

As long as the DVI port is HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compatible then there should be no problem.It should also have component inputs as well if it's certified HD Ready .

Offline mikeh

• Kopite
« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2006, 06:10:02 pm »
ta kieth.

Sorry to ask again but one other thing has confused me. Its about screen burn and how still images burn your plasma screen. Yet people sill hook their computers up to plasmas and with warnings about screen burn i would of thought this would be sure to create a burn in as there are constantly still images on your pc. 

Oh and with a hdmi calbe connection can pcs play DVD HD or blue ray, or dont they have the capabilities to do so. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:15:02 pm by kingkenny2 »

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2006, 06:43:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply Keith, to be honest i wasnt really that bothered about getting HD anyway, but 500 quid for a 27 inch LCD with freeview! ...... i think i might just splash out on it!

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: June 1, 2006, 05:32:28 am »
ta kieth.

Sorry to ask again but one other thing has confused me. Its about screen burn and how still images burn your plasma screen. Yet people sill hook their computers up to plasmas and with warnings about screen burn i would of thought this would be sure to create a burn in as there are constantly still images on your pc. 

Oh and with a hdmi calbe connection can pcs play DVD HD or blue ray, or dont they have the capabilities to do so. 

Screen burn only applies to plasma.This only tends to happen when images are present all the time.The more common problem is image retention,similar to screen burn as it leaves the shadow of the image,but it does go away after a while.

This is the reason why a lot of the experts advise to run in the plasma on low settings and turn any enhancements off such as "Dynamic mode" as when they are shipped the settings are too high.They say if you run it in for around 200 hours you should be OK.

The Pioneers funnily enough seem to suffer the most with this problem although it is a problem inherrent with all plasmas really,but if you are careful you shouldn't have any problems.

As for Blu Ray and HD DVD on a PC,it's yet to be seen what can be done as at the moment there is a bit of a  furore over copy protection and there is talk about people requiring new graphics cards with HDMI outputs that are HDCP compatible to allow copyrighted content to be played via a PC whether it's to a HD ready Tv or a PC monitor as well.If this is the case,that would make most didital and analog monitors useless for that purpose unless someone comes out with a get around like they did with macrovision as at the moment they don't have HDCP compatibility.

I wouldn't worry too much as yet about this though as they aren't available yet.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: June 3, 2006, 07:49:37 pm »
I'm looking to get an 32" LCD TV. What's the best one around the £1000 mark?

Cheers in advance  :wave

Gareth, is this the Samsung one you took back?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does John Lewis price match thingy work for deals that web companies are doing? ie. Does the deal have to be physically in an actual store like http://www.edgwarehifi.co.uk for example?
« Last Edit: June 4, 2006, 11:00:00 am by Carra'sPoundCoin »
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4