Author Topic: Favourite Aircraft  (Read 67611 times)

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
Re: Favourite Aircraft
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2005, 10:07:42 pm »
The Raptor? Ugly?

I think its a beaut, its also got all the technological bits and bobs odds and sods to make it the cats meow. I think - going from memory alone - that it was special because of the lines and edges that made it undetectable or something or other.

I got a soft spot for it though because of that programme, seeing it go through its stages and all that business.

I've had that post modified for a while now, lol.
R.T.K

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 10:07:52 pm »
What can it do? Let's consider the Tornado can do roughly mach 2.2 at altitude.

It's a stealth aircraft, very advanced, very well armed, very hard to shoot down. Tornado is a 1970s bag of shit now, that's why we're getting the Eurofighter.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 10:09:26 pm »
It's a stealth aircraft, very advanced, very well armed, very hard to shoot down. Tornado is a 1970s bag of shit now, that's why we're getting the Eurofighter.

Will the Eurofighter/ Typhoon be 'stealthed' in any way?
R.T.K

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 10:11:24 pm »

So what would you say to the Harrier?
R.T.K

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2005, 10:11:26 pm »
Will the Eurofighter/ Typhoon be 'stealthed' in any way?

Not entirely sure - I seem to remember reading that it had a very small radar profile, but is not stealthy in the conventional American 'weird shape and painted black' way. I think it's shaped to try and reflect as little radar as possible, but isn't actually stealth. One of the crabs on here may know better.

Harrier still has it's uses, and is still a very good aircraft. The Tornado fighter was designed for one role (intercepting Soviet bombers) and has no other use now really. It's not a good enough dogfighter to be a front line aircraft nowadays.

The Tornado ground attack aircraft is still a good aircraft though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 10:13:10 pm by BIGdavalad »
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2005, 10:13:40 pm »

The Tornado ground attack aircraft is still a good aircraft though.

The F3?
R.T.K

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2005, 10:16:31 pm »
I personally think there needs to be a new vertical take off plane developed. But the Harriers now are tweaked ofcourse, they just keep the same name. So maybe not.
R.T.K

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2005, 10:16:34 pm »

The harrier is needed, unless they get a replacement that does STVL, as most, if not all, of britains carriers (which probably isn't many) are built too small to carry any other plane if memory serves.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2005, 10:18:05 pm »
I personally think there needs to be a new vertical take off plane developed. But the Harriers now are tweaked ofcourse, they just keep the same name. So maybe not.
The harrier is needed, unless they get a replacement that does STVL, as most, if not all, of britains carriers (which probably isn't many) are built too small to carry any other plane if memory serves.
R.T.K

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2005, 10:19:15 pm »
I agree with hooded claw, the Stuka looks awesome...but how bout this bad boy...

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2005, 10:19:54 pm »
The F3?

The F3 is the fighter version, IIRC the current ground attack version is the GR4.

We're retiring all of the Sea Harriers soon anyway, apparently our Navy will definitely be able to rely on the US to give it air cover in any war we go to until the new big carriers (which haven't even been ordered yet) get launched :butt

Offline Another-kop-hero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2005, 10:23:31 pm »
The B-52 bomber for the sheer size

And the B-17 as this was one of the first model aircrafts i built and was massive compared to my others :)

But the Harrier and spitfire have always been a favorite of mine as well :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 10:25:20 pm by Another-kop-hero »

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2005, 10:24:55 pm »
Again i can't remember for sure, and ive just had a look to try and make sure but cant seem to find anything, but in that programme there was large testing of them being able to launch vertically. I cant remember if this was included in the final design's though or whether that was in the failed design or Boeings.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2005, 10:25:08 pm »

We're retiring all of the Sea Harriers soon anyway, apparently our Navy will definitely be able to rely on the US to give it air cover in any war we go to until the new big carriers (which haven't even been ordered yet) get launched :butt

Ah yes the famous vision of the british government.  Don't you just love it.

Feel sorry for all the people in the armed forces having to do their job with equipment that is apparently not upto required standard.

He never walked alone

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2005, 10:29:27 pm »
Again i can't remember for sure, and ive just had a look to try and make sure but cant seem to find anything, but in that programme there was large testing of them being able to launch vertically. I cant remember if this was included in the final design's though or whether that was in the failed design or Boeings.

For the US replacement one of the things they had to have in the JSF was the ability to vertically take off and land.  Both were able to do this but one was slightly more complicated to sort out.  I remember the programme on discovery.  As far as I can remember the Lockheed one (which won I believe) was able to take-off/land vertically in similar fashion to the harrier

He never walked alone

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2005, 10:31:32 pm »
For the US replacement one of the things they had to have in the JSF was the ability to vertically take off and land.  Both were able to do this but one was slightly more complicated to sort out.  I remember the programme on discovery.  As far as I can remember the boeing one (which won I believe) was able to take-off/land vertically in similar fashion to the harrier

The JSF is what the Sea Harrier will (eventually) be replaced with. Apparently they have a problem with getting the Short Take Off working - the engines aren't powerful enough to lift if fully loaded in a short enough distance.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2005, 10:34:39 pm »

Concorde, Spitfire, Apache...

87:13

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2005, 10:38:46 pm »
Spitfire. Went to Duxford in 2003, and saw one flying around before coming in to land, ahead of an airshow that was coming up. Amazing sight...

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2005, 10:40:24 pm »
I remember when I was younger every year spitfires would fly over my house.  But that stopped about 15 years ago.

He never walked alone

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2005, 10:42:46 pm »

Spitfire. Went to Duxford in 2003, and saw one flying around before coming in to land, ahead of an airshow that was coming up. Amazing sight...

The great thing about the Spitfire is that it sounds as good as it looks...

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2005, 10:45:27 pm »

There is nothing in the world that sounds like a Merlin at full throttle. Will upload a couple of Spitfire vids I've got tomorrow (if I get the chance) and post the locations in here.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2005, 10:54:10 pm »

There is nothing in the world that sounds like a Merlin at full throttle. Will upload a couple of Spitfire vids I've got tomorrow (if I get the chance) and post the locations in here.

Magic. I had a sound effects record years ago with it on. Long since disappeared now though.

I had a mate who could do a passable impression of a Merlin... ;D

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2005, 11:02:59 pm »
I had a mate who could do a passable impression of a Merlin... ;D

He mentored England's once and future king, you mean?

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2005, 11:05:32 pm »
He mentored England's once and future king, you mean?

Nah, he made stickers that weren't quite as good as Panini

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2005, 11:06:20 pm »

You needed a fucking umbrella though when he did it... :D

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2005, 11:06:31 pm »
f-22 for me too

- stealth
- thrust vector positioning
- supersonic
- dogfighter

"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Stephen King

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh dear!
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2005, 11:11:08 pm »
Any one of these really.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2005, 11:46:11 pm »

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2005, 12:02:06 am »
always loved the tornado growing up. First plane I built was a model of a jaguar.

Love the harrier along with lancaster bomber, spitfire and hurricane overall though. Hurricane was actually a wooden frame covered with canvas so dead easy to repair.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2005, 12:02:06 am »
The B-52 bomber for the sheer size

Love shack baby...

"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2005, 12:06:29 am »
Always thought during the Gulf War that this piece of Yankke Doodle Dandy kit looked mean as fuck...   Check out the 30mm, 7 barrel, Gatling gun in the nose cone!

The A10 Thunderbolt - "Tank Buster".

"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2005, 12:49:23 am »
The A10 is a gun ship right ?
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2005, 02:45:10 am »
When I was kid, there was no cooler Aircraft....

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 02:46:55 am by Terry DeNiro »

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2005, 02:52:45 am »
Concorde, mainly because Boeing are still jealous.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2005, 03:09:08 am »
The Raptor? Ugly?

I think its a beaut, its also got all the technological bits and bobs odds and sods to make it the cats meow. I think - going from memory alone - that it was special because of the lines and edges that made it undetectable or something or other.

I got a soft spot for it though because of that programme, seeing it go through its stages and all that business.

Yeah, watched that too, three times. I thought the show was class. Started as the YF-22 and they spoke about how it compared to the Eurofighter and the Russian Flanker, the days leading to the showdown etc. Highly recommended.

---

F14A Tomcat for me.

Same here.
I love the F117 Nighthawk too - looks mean and stealthy too.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2005, 03:27:45 am »
planes-  great stuff.

I love the warthog. Was given a tour at Donna Nooke - the shooting range up in Lincolnshire and spend an hour beforehand listening  to a pilot telling us what a great fucking plane it was etc etc then we got to see a couple of bombing runs and they finished with a machine gun run. So the warthog comes in low and slow and the pilot unleashes the cannons at the front - very fucking impressive the damage they can do. However the recoil on them is huge nd the pilot fired for too long given the speed of the aircraft. Basically the recoil slowed it right down and it just dropped from about 40 feet striaght into the sand!! What I would have given to see the look on that pilots face :D

other planes - how about this one

initial rate of climb 50,000 per minute!! Seen a few on raw power going out from binbrook - the speed of them is amazing! They had a 2 seater one up there and I got picked for a ride in one. 5 minutes later it was cancelled because some local major was coming to visit and had decided he wanted a flight . c*nt - hope he threw up everywhere.

Last 2 -

hell of a noise this one made. really ground shaker. My gran finished her workign life at scampton and the display Vulcan was based there - they presented her with an  autographed picture which I now have hanging up in my office.

Did I mention pictures? and Scamton? Well I have a picture of these guys flyign over the pyramids - signed by the lot of them. also have a few bits of info from a couple of years ago when my friend was Red number 8 for 2 years!

this one is from 2004 - my picture is a lot oler - and far better!

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2005, 06:55:33 am »

I was in the office over the weekend (work in London) and the Spitfire that had done the flypast for the battle of Britain Memorial unveiling flew over on its way back. The sound was unmistakable.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline BootleRed

• Kopite
  • Put yerself in my shoes for a change!
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2005, 09:07:28 am »
Lets get a few things straight here ( are you listening pongos ;) )
1. The Tornado was not a single role fighter hence the term MRCA which stands for Multi Role Combat Aircraft.
2. The F3 is the air defence variant of the Tornado
3. The GR4 is a fighter/bomber - not designed as a dogfighter

For the record, I have worked on both Harrier and Tornado and believe me the Harrier is by far the best. It may not have as great a payload but its versatility and reliability are far superior. As for Typhoon, by the time the bloody thing comes into full service it will be old hat, its already riddled with 80's technology!!
We're not English -We are Scouse.

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2005, 09:11:32 am »
I used to visit airshows quite alot and nothing at all can beat the Vulcan for sheer entertainment and the most awesome noise pulsating through your body as it reached alsmost vertically into the sky. 

I am suprised there are no Russian aircraft mentioned thought; the Su27 made a hell of an impression at airshows when it was first revealed.

The A10 Warthog sounds like a loud deep fart when it fires it's cannon BTW  ;)

But, my favourite aircraft has always been and always will be the Spitfire.
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2005, 10:22:07 am »
PS. Yes I did use search.

Eherm, should have searched your own memory banks as well though!!!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=81197.0

;D :wave
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"