Author Topic: Favourite Aircraft  (Read 67609 times)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
Re: Favourite Aircraft
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2005, 11:20:13 pm »
Ive heard about the ejection seat on the choppers at first was like Ehh  ??? but dosnt it drop you out the bottom or some thing like that?

doesnt it fire the blades off first then fire you out the top? could be wrong....

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2005, 11:22:28 pm »
No idea on types of plane, but I know which seat I like best on Virgins newly refitted Jumbos.

6A
Never give up

Offline Another-kop-hero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2005, 11:23:01 pm »
doesnt it fire the blades off first then fire you out the top? could be wrong....

Ermm not sure as i can't remember were i found out about it

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2005, 11:27:24 pm »
;D ye looks mad that when ya see all the troops come pilling out the back bet you get a right rush.

Yeah, but it's a pain in the arse when you pile out and go into all round defense and the choppers hovering about 50 feet above you and you end up with half of jordan desert in yer mush and you can't see fuck all, wearing a shemagh is a waste of time when a Chinooks involved.... ;D

But yeah, the ald adrenaline pumps a bit... :)
"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2005, 11:32:40 pm »

Aye, the rotor blades get blown off before the pilot is ejected.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2005, 11:39:59 pm »

if you were fortunate to have witnessed one of these, you know you've seen the best and heard it  8)
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline Another-kop-hero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2005, 11:40:34 pm »
Yeah, but it's a pain in the arse when you pile out and go into all round defense and the choppers hovering about 50 feet above you and you end up with half of jordan desert in yer mush and you can't see fuck all, wearing a shemagh is a waste of time when a Chinooks involved.... ;D

But yeah, the ald adrenaline pumps a bit... :)

;D yea that must be bad when all the sand and shit gets blow up in your face what do you do then just wait for it to settle or get on with what you've gotta do?

Yea that makes sence, fucking outta the bottom jeez i dunno  ::)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 11:43:58 pm by Another-kop-hero »

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2005, 11:53:02 pm »
No idea on types of plane, but I know which seat I like best on Virgins newly refitted Jumbos.

6A

I'm a 4G type of person myself
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2005, 11:54:33 pm »
whats the official word on the aurora. "doesn't exist" or have they said anything
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2005, 11:54:40 pm »
;D yea that must be bad when all the sand and shit gets blow up in your face what do you do then just wait for it to settle or get on with what you've gotta do?

Yeah, we go into all round defense to give the other troops coming out the back cover, the chopper cover and also to see if we've been spotted. We then wait till after the chopper has gone, lay low and then form up and do your thing....get in to formation depending on terrain if your tabbing to your target or whatever the mission may be.

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2005, 02:51:05 pm »

6A

Is that the first seat in Business class, by the window (obviously) with that extra bit of legroom?  Or is that just US Airways  ???
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline quincyg

• Ultra-lounge lizard and musak lover. The naffer the better.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • can show me Down Under anytime!
« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2005, 03:29:40 pm »
 ;D
"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

"I'm takin' this bloody car.....All the way to Invercargill!!!"

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2005, 03:32:00 pm »

Are there loads of helicopters with that now?
R.T.K

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2005, 04:21:22 pm »

6A

4C is better – just as close to the bar and less people pushing past you.

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2005, 04:27:34 pm »
http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/jsf.html

That's what will replace the Harrier 'early in the next decade'
R.T.K

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2005, 04:54:59 pm »
Are there loads of helicopters with that now?

Not that I know off, just a couple of Russian ones as far as I know.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline RedImp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In the light of the moon
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2005, 01:55:15 am »
My favourite is the fighter version of the Mossie, the Hornet, intended for the far east campaign in WW2. Although a couple of bombs stopped that happening. 

Brundle: "you missed the ceremony then?"
Kimi: "yeah, I was having a shit"

Offline Allerton Lad

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2005, 09:57:31 am »

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2005, 10:50:58 am »
My favourite is the fighter version of the Mossie, the Hornet, intended for the far east campaign in WW2. Although a couple of bombs stopped that happening. 

It's not a Mosquito mate, it's a different plane. The fighter versions of the Mosquito were just called Mosquito FMkIV (Fighter Mark 4) or NFMkIV (Night Fighter Mark 4) rather than BMkIV (Bomber Mark 4).

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2005, 11:17:38 am »
Ahhh the "Wooden Wonder"...My gramps loves the mozzy....

Didn't all versions of the mozzy have guns in her nose?

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2005, 11:21:42 am »
Ahhh the "Wooden Wonder"...My gramps loves the mozzy....

Didn't all versions of the mozzy have guns in her nose?

Not all of them mate, some of the bomber versions had no guns. There was a version (called the Tse-tse Fly IIRC) with a 75mm howitzer for anti ship missions.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2005, 11:24:16 am »
Not all of them mate, some of the bomber versions had no guns. There was a version (called the Tse-tse Fly IIRC) with a 75mm howitzer for anti ship missions.

I think there was a version for reconnosance (spelt that wrong but you get the idea) only aswell, with a glass nosecose.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2005, 11:25:25 am »
I think there was a version for reconnosance (spelt that wrong but you get the idea) only aswell, with a glass nosecose.

Forgot them, recce planes back then weren't armed either, so they could fly faster and higher.

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2005, 11:28:07 am »
Also like the 'Liberator'

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2005, 12:13:44 pm »

That was the one on that programme, i remember the rear nozzle turning down for the vertical thrust and, err...it says it on there about the Boeing/Lockheed thing anyway!  :butt
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline quincyg

• Ultra-lounge lizard and musak lover. The naffer the better.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • can show me Down Under anytime!
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2005, 01:59:04 pm »
Also like the 'Liberator'

great plane that. always looks like it's flying upside-down!
"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

"I'm takin' this bloody car.....All the way to Invercargill!!!"

Offline FTW

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2005, 02:22:59 pm »

They had one of those on display at Fairford this year. I don't think it flew, but it was on display on the runway. A big furore about it, always surrounded by loads of people.

Got a good look at it on the way out though.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2005, 02:28:38 pm »
Saab Viggen - made an Airfix model of one as a kid.

Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2005, 06:22:18 pm »
I like the look of this. Hurry up and get it into service!!
R.T.K

Pheeny

« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2005, 07:54:39 pm »

Excellent choice NHE.

I'll never forget working on the roof at Air Traffic Control at RAF Valley when a lightning took off.The whole island stopped to watch.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2005, 08:09:20 pm »

Will never forget mucking round on the beach at Newquay, Cornwall, as a kid, and hearing this distant rumble of thunder, with a clear blue sky, thinking wtf is that? And the rumble became a roar then a deafening explosion of sound as the one and only Red Arrows fly in formation about thirty feet above the cliff tops out over the sea, where they rehearse the next day's organised display. Seen them about 10 times now in various places. Always riveting to watch. They are simply the best, and probably the RAF's best recruitment tool.

87:13

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2005, 09:44:44 pm »
AH6 'Liitle Bird'

Nice little cosy 2 seater strike helicopter, may look small, but can wreak as much havoc as an Apache, awsome firepower.

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2005, 09:55:22 pm »
Wellington Bomber...

This plane was as hard as they come. Most of the time my gramps says they got shot to pieces, tail gone, one engine gone and holes and bits falling off everywhere and they still done the mission and came home, powerful bomber and one of the best IMO.

Pheeny

« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2005, 09:56:34 pm »
Will never forget mucking round on the beach at Newquay, Cornwall, as a kid, and hearing this distant rumble of thunder, with a clear blue sky, thinking wtf is that? And the rumble became a roar then a deafening explosion of sound as the one and only Red Arrows fly in formation about thirty feet above the cliff tops out over the sea, where they rehearse the next day's organised display. Seen them about 10 times now in various places. Always riveting to watch. They are simply the best, and probably the RAF's best recruitment tool.

I was stationed at RAF St Mawgan (Cornwall) in 1982 to 1984 met a few of the Red Arrows boys.Was working on the Runway when they took off one of them did a "wheelie" for a couple of hundred yards whilst waving at us...

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2005, 10:04:01 pm »

I was stationed at RAF St Mawgan (Cornwall) in 1982 to 1984 met a few of the Red Arrows boys.Was working on the Runway when they took off one of them did a "wheelie" for a couple of hundred yards whilst waving at us...

Meant to say it was RAF St Mawgan. I remember you posting a while back that you'd been stationed there.

Wheelie's, fuck sake... ;D

87:13

Pheeny

« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2005, 10:10:25 pm »
Meant to say it was RAF St Mawgan. I remember you posting a while back that you'd been stationed there.

Wheelie's, fuck sake... ;D

was well impressive as he was waving with both hands...

Offline _CarraMac_

• Main Stander
  • .......we're by far the greatest team
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2005, 10:25:46 pm »
    Took the kids to Manc-hester airport today and took this photo ,they have this on permanent display now...........awesome whan you get close up

Pheeny

« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2005, 10:39:07 pm »
    Took the kids to Manc-hester airport today and took this photo ,they have this on permanent display now...........awesome whan you get close up

whilst I was stationed at RAF St Athan near Cardiff one of the Concorde's was on a test flight and was using the Runway to do "Circuits and Bumps" thats landing and take off tests to you and me !

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2005, 11:00:11 pm »
Boeing 747-400 commercial airliner for me any time. Their such a beauty when they fly.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2005, 11:12:57 pm »
Another vote for this classic:

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.