Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4130469 times)

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #58680 on: November 30, 2018, 07:23:34 pm »
How is this a piece of shit fight? The number 2 and number 3 heavyweights facing off against each other. By no means will it be a classic but I'll bet my house it'll be 10 times more interesting than AJ v Parker/Takam.

And why is 5am such a huge surprise to so many of you? All American fights start at that time, unless it's NYC when it's around 3am.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58681 on: November 30, 2018, 07:34:05 pm »
Yes its 2 against 3 but the state of them two, they would never get in the top ten not so many years ago.
I think you will find that nobody in here is moaning/surprised about the time, its more is it worth the bother (and money), assume most think not.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58682 on: November 30, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »
Yes its 2 against 3 but the state of them two, they would never get in the top ten not so many years ago.
I think you will find that nobody in here is moaning/surprised about the time, its more is it worth the bother (and money), assume most think not.

They would be in the top 10 in pretty much any era apart from the 70s. Unless you're getting all misty eyed about the glory days of Samuel Peter, Shannon Briggs, Alex Lepai, and of course big Audley? 

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #58683 on: November 30, 2018, 09:20:54 pm »
They would be in the top 10 in pretty much any era apart from the 70s. Unless you're getting all misty eyed about the glory days of Samuel Peter, Shannon Briggs, Alex Lepai, and of course big Audley?

You sure they could get into the top 10 in the 80s? Holyfield was ranked 10th!

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58684 on: November 30, 2018, 09:21:54 pm »
Just an occasional contributor here so will bow to your superior knowledge, but the 90s were pretty good as far as I can remember, I also thought the 80s was good (wasn't giving boxing/much else my attention for much of that decade).

In years to come if the HW divison ever recovers to previous vintages then we will not look kindly on any of these cos lets face it they are pretty average in a very poor division (AJ may be a bright star).

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58685 on: November 30, 2018, 09:37:43 pm »
Wilder: 212lbs
Fury: 256lbs

3 stone difference

That's way too light for Wilder. Will need to keep this long as he will get mauled on the inside

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #58686 on: November 30, 2018, 10:44:01 pm »
I think a lot of you underrate Wilder, while overrating Fury.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58687 on: November 30, 2018, 10:47:46 pm »
A guy who no one outside of boxing knows who has managed to luck into a world championship who has never really been tested at the highest level and has been ducking AJ for years so he can hold onto his belt. Promoted by idiots that have no idea how to do deals.

vs a guy that has had 3 years out following a drugs ban and has only fought 2 bums in his comeback and is represented by Frank Warren

All on PPV at 5am at a non-sold out arena

It's a piece of shit fight where there are no winners (except Eddie Hearn and AJ who can enjoy Christmas and wait on the outcome of this and the Chisora/Whyte fight). From a boxing purist perspective there is nothing to this and to a boxing fair weather fan there is nothing.

:lmao
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58688 on: November 30, 2018, 10:49:25 pm »
Massive weight difference to be honest. Really surprised at Wilder's camp letting him go in like that. Unless he's going on the Luke Shaw diet for the next 24hrs he's fucked.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58689 on: November 30, 2018, 10:57:47 pm »
Wilder: 212lbs
Fury: 256lbs

3 stone difference

That's way too light for Wilder. Will need to keep this long as he will get mauled on the inside

Fury not miles off where he needs to be. 9lb off Dusseldorf shape. Jab and grab coming up.

Just an occasional contributor here so will bow to your superior knowledge, but the 90s were pretty good as far as I can remember, I also thought the 80s was good (wasn't giving boxing/much else my attention for much of that decade).

In years to come if the HW divison ever recovers to previous vintages then we will not look kindly on any of these cos lets face it they are pretty average in a very poor division (AJ may be a bright star).

No ine is going to argue the division is stronger now than it was in the 90s. But if you said top 10, and by the time you get that far down the rankings in pretty much any era then you're getting into the journeymen. And that's a good era, 10 years ago you had the likes of John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Nicolai Valuev and Samuel Peter walking round with belts. Fury or Wilder would be undisputed champs against some of those puddings.

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58690 on: November 30, 2018, 10:58:00 pm »
Wilder's never really been massive, he's just a really lanky dude with a huge reach. His camp probably kept him light because they want him focusing on his movement, Fury is an awkward customer for anyone.

Also if the winner of this fight doesn't face Anthony Joshua then the whole thing is a farce. They're trying to do the whole Mayweather/Pacquiao thing and trying to build up interest but there is already a huge demand for it. I mean after Whyte and Usyk, who does AJ face? The division is paper thin.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:01:32 pm by King.Keita »

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58691 on: December 1, 2018, 02:46:46 am »
Yes its 2 against 3

How is this a piece of shit fight? The number 2 and number 3 heavyweights facing off against each other.

I see where you are coming from, but I think the winner on saturday walks away with the best CV in the division

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #58692 on: December 1, 2018, 06:07:41 am »
I see where you are coming from, but I think the winner on saturday walks away with the best CV in the division

Not for me. AJ has a much better resume despite fighting for a shorter period regardless of the result

It’s AJ, Fury then Wilder in terms of top opponents

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58693 on: December 1, 2018, 07:26:08 am »
The winner needs to accept 60/40 from Hearn and Hearn needs to offer it.

I hate the money/split talks but Wilder and Fury have guarantee of $4m and $3m respectively (not accounting for ppv)

It's not an exaggeration to say AJs guarantee for fights is higher even when combining the two, it's a different world.

I hope for a good and decisive fight that renders rematch pointless. Winner v AJ for a history defining fight in the blue ribbon division

In other news Wellborn fighting Hurd for $30000. Should have stayed at home for that kind of money. He might get some British ppv loot but doubt it would be much. Hope he wins now

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58694 on: December 1, 2018, 07:43:20 am »
Fury not miles off where he needs to be. 9lb off Dusseldorf shape. Jab and grab coming up.

No ine is going to argue the division is stronger now than it was in the 90s. But if you said top 10, and by the time you get that far down the rankings in pretty much any era then you're getting into the journeymen. And that's a good era, 10 years ago you had the likes of John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Nicolai Valuev and Samuel Peter walking round with belts. Fury or Wilder would be undisputed champs against some of those puddings.

I think that's what I have been struggling to say, in previous years these two would be classed as journeymen wouldn't you think ? Wouldn't mind seeing Fury beaten as I don't go for all this "He's a character" stuff he is a knob in so many ways but not greatly arsed either way.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58695 on: December 1, 2018, 07:51:06 am »
Fury and Wilder wouldn't be journeyman in any era, even the storied 70s

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58696 on: December 1, 2018, 08:33:39 am »
I think that's what I have been struggling to say, in previous years these two would be classed as journeymen wouldn't you think ? Wouldn't mind seeing Fury beaten as I don't go for all this "He's a character" stuff he is a knob in so many ways but not greatly arsed either way.

No they wouldn't. In the 00s they'd be ranked 3 and 4 after the Klits, 90s probably fringe contenders taking the places of the likes of Tua, Akinwande, Bruno, McCall etc, and the 80s was basically Tyson blasting out tomato cans.

We end up having this conversation in here every heavyweight fight weekend.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58697 on: December 1, 2018, 08:54:13 am »
OK.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #58698 on: December 1, 2018, 09:40:25 am »
Wilder comes across as an utter knob.

But Fury is an absolute arsehole with some disgusting views that sound like a Trump-supporting skyfairy believer. And his fighting style is numbingly boring.

Hope Wilder pounds him to shit.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58699 on: December 1, 2018, 09:44:59 am »
I just want to see an entertaining fight. I think Wilder is entertaining yeah, might not be the best boxer but if he lands it should be fun. Either wilder Ko or Fury on points.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #58700 on: December 1, 2018, 09:50:50 am »
Hardly think 2 undefeated champions fighting for the WBC heavyweight title could be classed as journeymen. I'm setting my alarm!

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #58701 on: December 1, 2018, 10:11:36 am »
Sod paying £20 for this!

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58702 on: December 1, 2018, 10:13:21 am »
That is your choice as it is your money, but this is infinitely more worthy of PPV than both of the 22nd December cards

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58703 on: December 1, 2018, 10:35:25 am »
That is your choice as it is your money, but this is infinitely more worthy of PPV than both of the 22nd December cards

You're right about that, but I can see how Whyte v Chisora II will be a much better fight for the casual boxing fan than this one.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #58704 on: December 1, 2018, 10:42:18 am »
pay? fuck paying. free illegal streams all the way.

not that I'll be watching wilder/fury anyway. I'm interested but I'm not staying or getting up to watch it.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58705 on: December 1, 2018, 12:31:32 pm »
I'll also be streaming this, hopefully there's some good links floating around tomorrow morning. Last big fight of 2018 so might as well stay up

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58706 on: December 1, 2018, 01:47:12 pm »
Not for me. AJ has a much better resume despite fighting for a shorter period regardless of the result

It’s AJ, Fury then Wilder in terms of top opponents
What makes AJ cv much better?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58707 on: December 1, 2018, 02:32:14 pm »
Fury will definitely out box Wilder for however long the fight lasts. He'll confuse Wilder by switch hitting, and use his 3 stone weight advantage in the clinch, lean on him and look to tire Wilder out. My concern is at some point Wilder will probably land clean which could end the fight in a flash. 

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #58708 on: December 1, 2018, 02:56:32 pm »
What makes AJ cv much better?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

AJ has 2 names on his cv, Fury and Wilder one each,.. therefore it's 100% better

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #58709 on: December 1, 2018, 03:04:39 pm »
What time is this likely to start? Might stick the radio on.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #58710 on: December 1, 2018, 03:28:39 pm »
What time is this likely to start? Might stick the radio on.

About 4.30

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #58711 on: December 1, 2018, 03:36:36 pm »

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58712 on: December 1, 2018, 04:55:59 pm »
Hope Fury wins.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58713 on: December 1, 2018, 05:11:23 pm »
I’m so excited by this fight ... but I refuse to pay for PPV. Ever since I paid $100 to see Pacquiao v Mayweather when I was stateside I have felt burnt lol
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58714 on: December 1, 2018, 05:19:18 pm »
AJ has 2 names on his cv, Fury and Wilder one each,.. therefore it's 100% better

Wlad and who is the 2nd name on AJ's CV?

I think if Fury wins he has 2 wins as good or better than anything AJ has

Plus a chisora KO which matches anything AJ has done bar Wlad.  I would say his hitlist would be clear cut better than AJ's, if wilder wins his CV would be marginally better than AJ's

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58715 on: December 1, 2018, 05:28:22 pm »
Wlad and who is the 2nd name on AJ's CV?

I think if Fury wins he has 2 wins as good or better than anything AJ has

Plus a chisora KO which matches anything AJ has done bar Wlad.  I would say his hitlist would be clear cut better than AJ's, if wilder wins his CV would be marginally better than AJ's

Whyte?

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #58716 on: December 1, 2018, 05:29:39 pm »
You can add in Povetkin too. Parker is a bigger name than pretty much anyone outside of Wlad (Fury) or Ortiz (Wilder) as well.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58717 on: December 1, 2018, 05:33:47 pm »
Whoever wins tonight can probably claim to have a better CV than AJ, but they've both had twice as many fights. Wilder's record especially after 40 odd fights is shameful.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58718 on: December 1, 2018, 05:56:39 pm »
Any picks for the undercard? All seem like they'll be one way traffic so like everyone else, I'm picking Joyce, Ortiz and Hurd all by way of stoppage.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #58719 on: December 1, 2018, 05:59:59 pm »
Hope Fury wins.

Same but have a feeling Wilder is going to rock him with his power and force a stoppage.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.