Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - THE OLD (CRAP) THREAD THAT'S GOING IN THE BIN  (Read 146932 times)

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - ARRIVEDERCI LAROUCI, BUONGIORNO LOCATELLI?
« Reply #760 on: July 30, 2021, 06:47:08 pm »

Kevin Palmer (not the most reliable, but backs up what others have said).

Kevin Palmer has really boxed off the moaners on twitter this summer- giving them the goods. Don't think any journalist knows what is going on to be honest

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: July 30, 2021, 07:06:02 pm »
Kevin Palmer has really boxed off the moaners on twitter this summer- giving them the goods. Don't think any journalist knows what is going on to be honest

It ties in with what other journalists are writing about how we're not wanting everybody to get old together. It's also absolutely right to not hand them out just because of what they've done before. It's a recipe for disaster dishing big contracts out to every late 20s/early 30 player on your books.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #764 on: July 30, 2021, 07:09:31 pm »

Kevin Palmer (not the most reliable, but backs up what others have said).

ALL of those players deserve new contracts, regardless of whether we bring in a new player or not this summer. I don't mind having to sell some players on to bring new ones in, but if we can't offer world class players in their best years new deals, whilst years into a sell to buy model, that'd be fucking depressing quite frankly.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: July 30, 2021, 07:10:03 pm »
It ties in with what other journalists are writing about how we're not wanting everybody to get old together. It's also absolutely right to not hand them out just because of what they've done before. It's a recipe for disaster dishing big contracts out to every late 20s/early 30 player on your books.

I imagine Henderson and Firmino won't be getting new ones/or signing what they're offered.

I can't imagine we aren't looking to extend Van Dijk, Becker and one of Salah/Mane [hopefully they both do but Salah imo is a must]

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #766 on: July 30, 2021, 07:10:17 pm »
ALL of those players deserve new contracts, regardless of whether we bring in a new player or not this summer. I don't mind having to sell some players on to bring new ones in, but if we can't offer world class players in their best years new deals, whilst years into a sell to buy model, that'd be fucking depressing quite frankly.
Well it’s not that easy….

You end up with old players on really big wages and you can’t then afford to replace them.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: July 30, 2021, 07:11:15 pm »

It's not about being able to offer them new deals, it's about not having more than half of your first XI growing old together and making it harder to shift extremely high wages later on.

Not all of them should get new contracts.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: July 30, 2021, 07:11:22 pm »

The best football teams don't make decisions based on sentiment, whether that depresses you or not. Right now you might think it's the right thing to do but let's see how you feel in a couple of years when they're not as good, nobody wants to buy them because they're on insane wages in their 30s and we have no financial wiggle room because of it. That would be depressing to me.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #769 on: July 30, 2021, 07:13:02 pm »
If I was guessing, it'll be Henderson and Firmino that don't get one. Rumours already about Henderson not getting a long contract and Firmino isn't as invaluable now as he was.

Would not have guessed you would think Firmino would not be re-upped?  Who knew you had that opinion :)

This Henderson stuff feels like a smokescreen --- no way the club does not invest in the club captain.  They are not made everyday.   

While I am sure we have many ready to take the helm (Trend, VVD and others), I really cannot fathom Henderson leaving our club any time in the next three or four years.   It is not right.

So in the absence of information, I choose to believe its a smokescreen --- for what I have zero idea.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: July 30, 2021, 07:13:34 pm »
If Bob Paisley was in charge of this current team some of those lads would be sold next week. That's how ruthless he was according to my old man and gramps.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: July 30, 2021, 07:14:58 pm »

It's not that simple and it's silly to get so negative about it without knowing the details of each contract we've offered, players could be demanding ridiculous wages and stupidly long contracts and that's why things have stalled out. Henderson has 2 years on his contract still and will be 33 when it's up, do we really want to throw big wages at him just for him to potentially spend multiple seasons on the periphery of the squad while being paid huge wages?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: July 30, 2021, 07:17:14 pm »

This Henderson stuff feels like a smokescreen --- no way the club does not invest in the club captain.  They are not made everyday.   

Isn't this what happened with Gerrard, we weren't sure about extending, he wanted to keep playing and decided to leave?

I think we try get the ones mentioned signed up as they make the most sense along with Fabinho given age, position and their performances. Wouldn't be surprised if Mane or Salah hold out and see if they can get huge money on a free elsewhere, which is fair enough

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: July 30, 2021, 07:19:58 pm »
Mane or Salah going on a free would be utter madness

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: July 30, 2021, 07:20:12 pm »
We have offered Henderson a contract, but it's not the terms that he likes if we were to believe what's been reported [and that we are giving him a contract based on his appearances at the latter stages of the deal]

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: July 30, 2021, 07:20:47 pm »

Where does it say that?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: July 30, 2021, 07:22:14 pm »
If Bob Paisley was in charge of this current team some of those lads would be sold next week. That's how ruthless he was according to my old man and gramps.

Admiring ruthlessness often ignores loyalty and in the 1960's & 1970's the game was changing so much that it made sense.

But we live in a different moment in the modern game, where the differentials between the greatest and the good are not as pronounced - and this issue of player disposability, ROI, and the next bigger better deal become fantastical poisons eroding soccer and club culture until all we have is shitshow of ESL teams rubbing themselves about their greatness.

No one is having a go at those in the past here, fowler knows I love them, but in the present moment we should avoid becoming stat geek fantasy farm outfit, who is constantly forgetting that people matter.  If Jurgen has taught us anything, it is this.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: July 30, 2021, 07:23:01 pm »
Where does it say that?

I was replying to the post directly before mine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: July 30, 2021, 07:24:24 pm »
Isn't this what happened with Gerrard, we weren't sure about extending, he wanted to keep playing and decided to leave?

I think we try get the ones mentioned signed up as they make the most sense along with Fabinho given age, position and their performances. Wouldn't be surprised if Mane or Salah hold out and see if they can get huge money on a free elsewhere, which is fair enough

How old was Stevie when this happened?  I do remember this discussion from back then, but in the back of my mind, it felt like he was further down the road to retirement.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: July 30, 2021, 07:27:06 pm »
Admiring ruthlessness often ignores loyalty and in the 1960's & 1970's the game was changing so much that it made sense.

But we live in a different moment in the modern game, where the differentials between the greatest and the good are not as pronounced - and this issue of player disposability, ROI, and the next bigger better deal become fantastical poisons eroding soccer and club culture until all we have is shitshow of ESL teams rubbing themselves about their greatness.

No one is having a go at those in the past here, fowler knows I love them, but in the present moment we should avoid becoming stat geek fantasy farm outfit, who is constantly forgetting that people matter.  If Jurgen has taught us anything, it is this.

People do matter of course, but there is also the football aspect and planning for the future. We don't have the luxury where we can't worry about the financial aspect when these players all age together. Even Klopp knows this, and even he's alluded to ''good football age'' in the past.

In an ideal situation they all end their careers here, but that isn't going to happen. Out of those listed, I hope Van Dijk,Becker,Salah/Mane at least extend if two aren't for whatever reason.

If we can't reach an agreement in the next year then we'll have to think about offloading them. Losing any of those on a free would be madness potentially.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: July 30, 2021, 07:27:38 pm »
We have offered Henderson a contract, but it's not the terms that he likes if we were to believe what's been reported [and that we are giving him a contract based on his appearances at the latter stages of the deal]

This might be 100% spot on, but I always felt that Henderson's re-up (which is 2 years away) - that the club and Hendo have time.

Whereas there are some here Salah, Alisson etc..  that need to be extended ASAP.  This is what I perceived to be the issue --- that Henderson was in line for a contract but his offer at present might not reflect the what the club might be able to do next year.   Or at least I am hoping as such...   ;D
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: July 30, 2021, 07:35:42 pm »

Neuhaus in the middle of our midfield three would be madness.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: July 30, 2021, 07:36:35 pm »
How old was Stevie when this happened?  I do remember this discussion from back then, but in the back of my mind, it felt like he was further down the road to retirement.
IIRC Stevie was reluctant to being phased out into a support role, like Milner does for us now. He still felt (rightly or wrongly) he should be starting more often than not. I feel the club were complacent in thinking they'd come to a compromise but Stevie had already started exploring other options by then.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: July 30, 2021, 07:38:40 pm »
Neuhaus in the middle of our midfield three would be madness.
You're an embarrassment.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #784 on: July 30, 2021, 07:41:11 pm »
We literally gave Lallana a contract extension not to play, just so he was around when we won the league. So the whole ‘sentiment doesn’t exist’ thing doesn’t completely ring true.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: July 30, 2021, 08:05:59 pm »
A bit harsh :P
Sorry, I went one step beyond.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: July 30, 2021, 08:08:38 pm »
Just gotta hope Mo doesn’t pine for the banks of the river Nile.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: July 30, 2021, 08:09:25 pm »
Alisson, Fabinho and Salah must get new contracts. It’s not even a debate.

Van Dijk should as well but the injury issue is a small question mark.

Mane, Henderson and Firmino is more of a question, especially Firmino and Henderson.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #789 on: July 30, 2021, 08:19:41 pm »
https://www.calciomercato.com/news/real-madrid-isco-e-sul-mercato-prezzo-fissato-20734

We and AC Milan want Isco.  8)

Won’t happen. At 29 he’s completely the wrong age profile for our next midfielder.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: July 30, 2021, 08:23:24 pm »
https://www.calciomercato.com/news/real-madrid-isco-e-sul-mercato-prezzo-fissato-20734

We and AC Milan want Isco.  8)
Can't see us mentioned Samie. Unless you're using the royal We. ;D

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: July 30, 2021, 08:26:34 pm »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: July 30, 2021, 08:41:42 pm »

A business can't pay someone millions per year out of sentiment. It's not like they'll struggle if they moved on or had a lower wage as they get older. FSG prefer performance based pay, which is why our wage bill was one of the highest in 2019 and 2020 after the CL and PL wins.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #794 on: July 30, 2021, 08:48:26 pm »
Alisson, Fabinho and Salah must get new contracts. It’s not even a debate.

Van Dijk should as well but the injury issue is a small question mark.

Mane, Henderson and Firmino is more of a question, especially Firmino and Henderson.
The Athletic were saying of the front 3 that Mane and Salah will be offered extensions but Bobby won't.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #795 on: July 30, 2021, 08:50:00 pm »

so he’s saying that money Klopp gets ‘offered’ to spend on players, he’s saying ‘no ta, use it for wages instead’?

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #796 on: July 30, 2021, 08:53:08 pm »
Contracts have to be the priority for us. That Trent extension is excellent news and hopefully the rest will follow. I doubt all of the front 3 will get/sign extensions because their current deals take them to 31, almost 32 for Bobby. Suspect Mo will get the extension and possibly Mane later in the season. I do hope we can reach some sort of agreement with regards to Hendo. Its not just sentimental, Hendo is a darn good football player who is underrated massively. Plus he has far more value in non-footballing terms as well.

I said it before, the rest of our incoming business will be later in the window once the outgoings are a bit clearer. To be more precise, I'd bet we'll start seeing movement once Shaq is shifted out. For midfield, I think we're trying to see if Elliott can make the cut there and with him, Naby, Curtis, Milner and Ox we have enough bodies and quality to fill that Gini shaped hole. Its not ideal but you do need to have some space/minutes open to bring through the younger lads.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: July 30, 2021, 09:02:23 pm »
The Athletic were saying of the front 3 that Mane and Salah will be offered extensions but Bobby won't.
Sort of makes sense given Bobby's last two seasons' worth of form. He hasn't been terrible, but can understand the club's position there. I know there's a bit of a thing on this forum taking the piss out of the idea that players after the age of 30 are worthless, and I agree up to a point. At the same time many footballers, even in this day and age of hyper professionalism, do tend to decline somewhat from that age or a bit older and so it seems sensible not to offer pay rises and long contracts unless you're near certain said players will carry on performing well into the future.

It was always going to be interesting to see what the club did regarding the aging team and the renewals. Seems harsh in a way, but I guess sentiment shouldn't really play a part in the decision making process. The new contracts that do happen should be celebrated, but unfortunately it'll never be as exciting for some as shiny new signings, even if it maybe should be.

That said, buy some bloody players you cheapskates.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #798 on: July 30, 2021, 09:11:16 pm »
Who has a better story than Sean Dundee?

This ending will fix many things
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #799 on: July 30, 2021, 09:17:07 pm »
so he’s saying that money Klopp gets ‘offered’ to spend on players, he’s saying ‘no ta, use it for wages instead’?

I think back in 2019 his priority after the CL win and 97 point season was keeping the team he had together, after what happened to him at Dortmund. (and losing Coutinho in 2018). Therefore we had a lot of renewals that summer and Klopp was happy to keep what he had, rather than buy x, y and z.  Even the squad as well, given that we could have gone out and got a 4th forward in but instead gave Origi a new contract after his late season heroics (could have cashed in). Given Moreno and Sturridge left that year we didn't replace them though but did get Adrian in to replace Mignolet.

Klopp isn't someone who likes signing players for the sake of signing players but when there's a real need.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season