Author Topic: GBeebies (anything about Brillo's propaganda network in here)  (Read 50626 times)

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
Re: GBeebies (anything about Brillo's propaganda network in here)
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2021, 07:06:31 am »
Talking pints - now we are out he EU when will Frottage and his crew of traditionalists start ranting again about he reintroduction of imperial weights and measures?

Or was that just another ploy to wind up their died in the wool supporters?

Believer

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2021, 08:16:17 am »

Much better asking for 19.215 fluid ounces of beer.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2021, 09:56:42 am »

What people really want is the ability to go for a virtual pint with Anne Widdecombe as she complains about wokeness

Wait... is that actually real and not a photoshop job of what the worst thing in the world would look like?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2021, 10:11:32 am »
Come friendly bombs and fall on….that room
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2021, 10:32:14 am »
Much better asking for 19.215 fluid ounces of beer.
Apologies for my pendantry, but I think you will find that '19.215' is the number of US fluid ounces to the Imperial pint. There are only 16 US fluid ounces to their pint (and 20 fl oz to the Imperial pint); and US fluid ounces are not the same as Imperial fluid ounces.

1 US fluid ounce = 1.0408427308 UK fluid ounces
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2021, 10:40:08 pm »
Apologies for my pendantry, but I think you will find that '19.215' is the number of US fluid ounces to the Imperial pint. There are only 16 US fluid ounces to their pint (and 20 fl oz to the Imperial pint); and US fluid ounces are not the same as Imperial fluid ounces.

Shouldn't you have provided that response as a fraction?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2021, 10:55:35 pm »

Yep this is why you get shit amounts of beer in the US

Not like (wipes a tear) good old BLIGHTY!*

*I actually prefer our real proper pints of beer - suck that up yankees!

:D

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2021, 10:05:11 am »

:D

What's wrong with "500 ml of your finest, please"  ;)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2021, 10:07:19 am »
What's wrong with "500 ml of your finest, please"  ;)
That’s the problem with it really….

No one under 55 really understands imperial that well.

Me?  I order things by weight in grams.  Ounces and pounds literally mean nothing  to me at all.  I buy milk and other stuff like that in litres

I would find it hard to go imperial…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2021, 10:16:50 am »

Me?  I order things by weight in grams.  Ounces and pounds literally mean nothing  to me at all.  I buy milk and other stuff like that in litres

I agree with you, but I do like my beer to come in pints. 500ml never feels like quite enough.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2021, 10:17:37 am »
I agree with you, but I do like my beer to come in pints. 500ml never feels like quite enough.
68ml difference!

Just get a litre instead!
W

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2021, 10:21:03 am »

It's probably over-simplifying but didn't imperial largely die out because metric is much easier to understand rather than because of the EU?  In the same way that we have a decimal currency now rather than pounds, shillings, pence, halfpennies and farthings (apparently "One pound was divided into 20 shillings. One shilling was divided into 12 pennies. One penny was divided into two halfpennies, or four farthings."  :o).

Like you, I'd be utterly lost if confronted with imperial measurements.  Maybe that's the intention though, creating an opportunity for people to sneer at the youngsters - not that I'm a youngster - for not having learned their imperial conversions by rote.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2021, 10:37:31 am »
It's probably over-simplifying but didn't imperial largely die out because metric is much easier to understand rather than because of the EU?  In the same way that we have a decimal currency now rather than pounds, shillings, pence, halfpennies and farthings (apparently "One pound was divided into 20 shillings. One shilling was divided into 12 pennies. One penny was divided into two halfpennies, or four farthings."  :o).

Like you, I'd be utterly lost if confronted with imperial measurements.  Maybe that's the intention though, creating an opportunity for people to sneer at the youngsters - not that I'm a youngster - for not having learned their imperial conversions by rote.

Yes.  I handle a lot of data in my work, all of which is metric.  Metric is universal, plus it is much easier to run calculations on, especially in your head.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2021, 11:09:26 am »

It's really straightforward:

weight

437.5 grains in an ounce
16 ounces in a pound
14 pounds in a stone
8 stone in a hundredweight
20 hundredweight in a ton.

money

12 pence in a shilling
20 shillings in a pound
21 shillings in a guinea

So its a piece of piss to calculate things. If something costs 7 pence an ounce and you need to know the cost of 3st 9lbs 3oz you just do the following:

First turn everything into ounces

3st = 3x14x16 ounces = 672oz
9lbs = 9x16 ounces = 144oz
3 oz

Add them together 672 + 144 + 3 = 819 oz

multiply by pence/ounce

819 x 7 = 5,733 pence.

divide by 12 to find number of shillings

5,733/12 = 477.75

0.75 shillings = 0.75 x 12 = 9 pence

Divide 477 by 20 to find number of pounds

477/20 = 23.85

0.85 pounds = 0.85 x 20 = 17 shillings

So 3st 9lbs 3oz at 7 pence an ounce = £23 17s 9d

Couldn't be easier.

Unless you have 23.219 kg at 101p/kg*

23.219 g x 101p/kg = £23 52p

So much easier with the old money...

For people under 55 this is really what we had to do to calculate cost by weight in imperial.

*1d (old penny) = £1/244 1p (new penny) = £1/100 so 7d/oz = 101p/kg

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:23:45 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2021, 11:12:58 am »
;D

My mum is literally like that…. Then rolls her eyes when I say I have no idea what she’s talking about. Then starts taking about peppercorns…

The people who want a return to imperial try to claim it’s good as it makes people better at maths!  Yeah… base 12 rocks
W

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2021, 11:14:52 am »

You did not even mention florins, crowns and guineas! :)
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2021, 11:18:35 am »

weight

437.5 grains in an ounce
16 ounces in a pound
14 pounds in a stone
10 20 hundredweight in a ton.
;)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2021, 11:20:10 am »
;D

My mum is literally like that…. Then rolls her eyes when I say I have no idea what she’s talking about. Then starts taking about peppercorns…

The people who want a return to imperial try to claim it’s good as it makes people better at maths!  Yeah… base 12 rocks

It's not even base 12. That would be straight forward - its bases 12 (pence to £), 14 (lbs to st) 16 (oz to lb) 20 (s to £) and so on.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2021, 11:23:26 am »
Yes.  I handle a lot of data in my work, all of which is metric.  Metric is universal, plus it is much easier to run calculations on, especially in your head.

Except in the US. I have to deal with American architectural and interior design drawings and they still draw and annotate in feet and inches. It's ridiculous. Fortunately you can switch between the two in software but doing it manually before CAD was a nightmare.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2021, 11:44:09 am »
;D

i agree, but if someone gave me theRE height or weight in meters or  KGs Id think it was odd
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2021, 11:51:28 am »
Thanks - corrected
Well, it just goes to show just how tricky to use are Imperial weights and measures. The majority here (being a bit too young) probably would not even know there was an error.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2021, 12:16:03 pm »
i agree, but if someone gave me theRE height or weight in meters or  KGs Id think it was odd

It's probably because it's personal information but it will change over time.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2021, 01:31:09 pm »
It's probably because it's personal information but it will change over time.
I agree.  The NHS always report weight in metric now.  I could tell you my weight in KG but I'd be guesstimating if I had to provide it in stones now.

My wife always looks at me gone out when I reference people's height in feet and inches.  It feels like a leap though for footballers to be referred to by their height in centimetres - Konate at 1.94m still doesn't mean much to me but 6ft 4in and I know right where that is - and I think that alone is keeping a lot of us stuck in measuring height using imperial.

Anyway, GB News...  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2021, 01:38:42 pm »
I’m happy with either….

But I instinctively know how much a kilo or a meter is, whereas I find stones and feet much more difficult  to judge
W

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2021, 02:44:12 pm »
2m is 6'6; 2.4m is 8 foot.  Height of you regular ceiling.  High Jump record is 2.45m

Get the tape measure out and look at Edwards WR triple jump 18.29m and Powell's 8.95 m - I did this with the youngest and he was gobsmacked

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2021, 03:09:55 pm »
I’m happy with either….

But I instinctively know how much a kilo or a meter is, whereas I find stones and feet much more difficult  to judge

if some said I am x CM  tall, I wouldn't know if they're Sammy Lee or Peter Crouch,
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2021, 03:18:32 pm »
30cm per foot - so Sammy Lee about 150cm, Crouch around 200cm

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2021, 04:14:04 pm »
2.5cm to an inch, 12 inches to a foot.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2021, 07:45:09 pm »

weight

437.5 grains in an ounce
16 ounces in a pound
14 pounds in a stone
20 hundredweight in a ton.

money

12 pence in a shilling
20 shillings in a pound
21 shillings in a guinea

So its a piece of piss to calculate things. If something costs 7 pence an ounce and you need to know the cost of 3st 9lbs 3oz you just do the following:

First turn everything into ounces

3st = 3x14x16 ounces = 672oz
9lbs = 9x16 ounces = 144oz
3 oz

Add them together 672 + 144 + 3 = 819 oz

multiply by pence/ounce

819 x 7 = 5,733 pence.

divide by 12 to find number of shillings

5,733/12 = 477.75

0.75 shillings = 0.75 x 12 = 9 pence

Divide 477 by 20 to find number of pounds

477/20 = 23.85

0.85 pounds = 0.85 x 20 = 17 shillings

So 3st 9lbs 3oz at 7 pence an ounce = £23 17s 9d

Couldn't be easier.

Unless you have 23.219 kg at 101p/kg*

23.219 g x 101p/kg = £23 52p

So much easier with the old money...

For people under 55 this is really what we had to do to calculate cost by weight in imperial.

*1d (old penny) = £1/244 1p (new penny) = £1/100 so 7d/oz = 101p/kg

Ha ha fucks sake
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2021, 09:26:49 pm »
I'm 54 and I work in feet and inches for height, miles for distance and speed and stones and lbs for my weight, but everything else is metric. I know all the trailer heights in work, they are all feet and inches. I think because bridges are still maked in ft and inches as well as metric, however trailer lengths are all in metres.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2021, 10:23:26 pm »

Well if you want a FULL explanation of how the dastardly EU conspired to do down Imperial weights and measures the chaps at the British Weights and Measures Association will bore you;

http://bwma.org.uk/

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2021, 10:33:32 pm »
Well if you want a FULL explanation of how the dastardly EU conspired to do down Imperial weights and measures the chaps at the British Weights and Measures Association will bore you;

http://bwma.org.uk/

What a bunch of c*nts … who would care?
W

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2021, 10:36:15 pm »
What a bunch of c*nts … who would care?

Well their 'Metric Martyrs' campaign kept leaving the EU well and truly in the public eye, well before anyone dreamt of Brexit so pretty good at stirring the shit.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2021, 10:39:40 pm »
I'm 54 and I work in feet and inches for height, miles for distance and speed and stones and lbs for my weight, but everything else is metric. I know all the trailer heights in work, they are all feet and inches. I think because bridges are still maked in ft and inches as well as metric, however trailer lengths are all in metres.

Yeah, I'm kind of a weird hybrid for metric/imperial.  Some stuff, like short distances, I go metric, but others I switch over to feet or miles.  Small weights, like prepared food, I'm all for grams, but I'll go for pounds and stones over kilos when it comes to weighing myself.  I've never understood the fuss of favouring one system over another, or why we needed to do away with imperial, but I've certainly no problem with metric either.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2021, 10:58:13 pm »
Talking of metric / imperial hybrids, my favourite is carpet.

I'd like 3 metres of that 12 foot wide one please.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2021, 11:09:04 pm »

What people really want is the ability to go for a virtual pint with Anne Widdecombe as she complains about wokeness
Yak. This is the second time I've glanced in this thread, its fucking horrid.

Woke and wokeness always concerns, amuses, bewilders, concerns (again) me. Shouldn't we all be woke to anything offensive? Shouldn't we all, if not born with but develop a consciousness of wokeism?
Every fucking one of us should be woke to societal ills, scumery, prejudice, racism and homophobia?

Being 'woke' is good, but highlighting the concept of wokeness is evil. Indeed fucking insulting.

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
« Reply #197 on: July 31, 2021, 12:19:30 am »
2m is 6'6; 2.4m is 8 foot.  Height of you regular ceiling.  High Jump record is 2.45m

Get the tape measure out and look at Edwards WR triple jump 18.29m and Powell's 8.95 m - I did this with the youngest and he was gobsmacked

Honestly use these to convert everything on an almost daily basis. Ceilings, Olympic records and 0-62mph on my top trumps as a kid because it equals 100kmph and i'm rain man with the rosetta stone

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2021, 12:57:37 am »
Imperial (adjective) - relating to an empire.

Says it all.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2021, 01:04:13 am »
Talking of metric / imperial hybrids, my favourite is carpet.

I'd like 3 metres of that 12 foot wide one please.

I had to order a new carpet for the stairs last year and it was one of the most nerve wracking things I’ve done in ages. Was sure I’d fuck it up. :D