Author Topic: Boosting WiFi signal  (Read 16222 times)

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
Re: Boosting WiFi signal
« Reply #40 on: February 4, 2021, 11:10:56 am »
Slightly OT but what’s the best solution to boost mobile reception? My house is in a bit of a dip (it’s quite built up to the front and to the back) but once you get out of the dip and onto the main road my mobile signal is fine. But in the house the reception is crap. I’m with Plusnet mobile which piggybacks EE. Is there anything I can buy that would help with getting 4G reception in the house?

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: February 4, 2021, 11:31:17 am »
EE have a signal booster. If it’s the same type as a Vodafone one I had years ago, it plugs into your broadband router, broadcasts 3G in your house but routes your call over the Internet.

I’ve had a quick look online and there’s difference of opinion on whether it works for Plusnet customers - some have got it working but others haven’t. Haven’t dug that deep though.

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 4, 2021, 04:18:17 pm »
You got a link to buy one? Can’t see them on their online shop.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2021, 10:49:48 am »
I bought a TP-Link Deco M5 system and I think its made my internet worse. The coverage may be better but the actual connection is awful, everything buffers and is slow now. The TP-Link ethernet powerlines were much better

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2021, 10:54:38 am »
The Deco stuff is meant to be very good. I've not used it personally but all the reviews I've read are pretty favourable.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2021, 12:50:59 pm »
All comes down to making sure your router and devices are 5ghz compatible.

You can force your network cards on your computers and laptops to prefer 5Ghz signals over the 2.4

Best thing we got were the powerline adapters and kept the consoles and PC's wired through ethernet. Better at holding speed upstairs

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2021, 02:10:34 pm »
Powerlines are dreadful in my house for some reason, I couldn't get more than 20Mbps. I assume the electrics are shite and haven't been touched since the early 90s when the house was built.  I gave up eventually and decided to just buy something good quality to solve the problem once and for all. I got 2 Asus XT8s, one to use as a router and the other as a mesh node.  I get about 350mbps when connected to the mesh node and about 550Mbps when connected to the router. Expensive, but a big improvement and being Wifi6 I think it should last me a good while.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2021, 11:37:39 pm »

The Deco stuff is meant to be very good. I've not used it personally but all the reviews I've read are pretty favourable.

i bought two Deco X60's for use with our Virgin 500mb package. Not cheap but have been worth it. Got one downstairs next to the virgin router and one upstairs in my office. The house has cat6 in every room, so the deco in the office is using ethernet backhaul back to the one downstairs. This gets me atleast 300mb on my work machine most times of the day.

Worthy investment since ive started jumping on the smart home bandwagon. The old router was struggling with the number of devices, where these can support WAY more.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #48 on: April 2, 2021, 03:28:18 pm »
My wifi router (bt home hub) is about 11 years old

Is getting a new one going to make a difference to signal strength??
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 2, 2021, 04:44:59 pm »
Yeah it probably would. Likely to have more antennas and if not more then certainly more powerful. You can compare the BT hubs here...

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/different-types-of-bt-hub

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 2, 2021, 08:20:28 pm »
Yeah it probably would. Likely to have more antennas and if not more then certainly more powerful. You can compare the BT hubs here...

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/different-types-of-bt-hub
Oh!

Thank you, that’s really helpful...

£200 for the smart hub 2 is a bit steep though...  must be a deal somewhere?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 2, 2021, 08:21:44 pm »
Oh!

Thank you, that’s really helpful...

£200 for the smart hub 2 is a bit steep though...  must be a deal somewhere?

Just do the old 'threaten to quit' routine.... they'll cut you a deal.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 2, 2021, 08:22:36 pm »
£67 on Amazon! 

BT are thieves!
W

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 2, 2021, 08:24:59 pm »
£67 on Amazon! 

BT are thieves!

BT are notoriously expensive for broadband.... you've been with them for 11 years (at least)?

Should probably shop around.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 2, 2021, 08:32:05 pm »
BT are notoriously expensive for broadband.... you've been with them for 11 years (at least)?

Should probably shop around.
Maybe.... but not the time for it with working from home right now..  they are pricey, but they work.
W

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2021, 11:29:03 am »
I’ve got a BT Smart Hub 2 but I can’t separate the two channels (2.4ghz and 5ghz) which means some of my devices have intermittent connections

I’ve managed to get hold of the original Smart Hub 1 which does allow you to split the network into 2 channels.

I’m just wondering if I could use both routers simultaneously. So if I put my Smart Hub 2 upstairs, could that be used like a wifi extender?

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2021, 05:35:11 pm »
I’ve got a BT Smart Hub 2 but I can’t separate the two channels (2.4ghz and 5ghz) which means some of my devices have intermittent connections

I’ve managed to get hold of the original Smart Hub 1 which does allow you to split the network into 2 channels.

I’m just wondering if I could use both routers simultaneously. So if I put my Smart Hub 2 upstairs, could that be used like a wifi extender?

Yeah, switch off DCHP and give both routers the same wifi name and password. Loads of guides on google 😁

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2021, 06:37:01 pm »
Thanks. Maybe a silly question but would the second router need connecting to a phone socket?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2021, 07:16:32 pm »
Maybe.... but not the time for it with working from home right now..  they are pricey, but they work.

They should send you one for free,I got one when I'd been with them a bit,tell the the wifi is playing up or something.

BT are robbing bastards though,I moved from them to talktalk and haven't had any problems & I plugged the new router in before I went to bed and when I woke up it was up and running,they even told BT I was leaving,BT then called me & offered me another deal & all but told me I was lying when I told them what I was getting and how much it was costing from Talktalk.

Fibre 150 is only £32pm and if you charm them they will also send you a freeview box and give you half price anytime calls.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2021, 05:26:09 am »
Thanks. Maybe a silly question but would the second router need connecting to a phone socket?

No, just to your main router via ethernet, powerline plugs work fine.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2021, 03:22:49 pm »
Bump...

Been using a TP Link Ethernet Broadband Adapter/Extender to work upstairs (router is downstairs) and it's worked great since last October.

Now suddenly it's been giving me grief and since yesterday it keeps losing connection. It's not ISP related as my missus has been working away flawlessly on the same wi-fi although she sits by the router.

The model I'm using is a TP Link AC750 Wi-fi Range Extender.  https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re200/

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative  reliable Wi-fi extender I can connect my PC to via Ethernet cable as I do with this one?

Cheers
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2021, 04:20:36 pm »
I purchased this in March and only wish I got it a lot sooner.  The router is upstairs but downstairs the wi fi signal was "hit and miss".  Since acquiring this beauty everything is absolutely spot on. Dead easy to set up as well, plug it in, press a button and away you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L4BMD34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2021, 08:58:19 pm »
I purchased this in March and only wish I got it a lot sooner.  The router is upstairs but downstairs the wi fi signal was "hit and miss".  Since acquiring this beauty everything is absolutely spot on. Dead easy to set up as well, plug it in, press a button and away you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L4BMD34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:thumbsup
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: June 1, 2021, 02:11:51 am »
So I’ve just recently upgraded from normal sky broadband to fibre. Speed is much quicker, no problem there.

Problem is that the range of the new router is piss poor compared to the old one, which was maybe 6 years old.

What gives? By all accounts the new router is far better than the old one looking at the specs.

And clearly, I am in no way technology minded, so I’m struggling to see how this new router has such a worse range.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #64 on: June 1, 2021, 01:24:12 pm »
Contact Sky, if you have Sky Q they give out a free booster.

Works very well and we get full speeds up in the attic room.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #65 on: June 2, 2021, 01:53:42 pm »
Been having a few issues over the last few weeks.

Live in a townhouse and have been having intermittent issues with the Wifi on devices at the top of the property, the furthest away from our router. We've got TP Links dotted around the house, one in my bedroom and one in the upstairs bedrooms. I've got the one in my bedroom connected to my TV through ethernet with my Xbox connected to the Wifi. I'm not able to pick up a wired connection to my TV and the TP Link upstairs is flashing for Wifi connection. I've had these for about 6 or 7 years now so thinking there's an issue with the TP Links themselves, does anyone thinking getting new ones will work and if so are there any other Wifi extenders anyone would recommend?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: June 2, 2021, 05:57:55 pm »
As it’s a tv and an Xbox, I’d consider switching it out for powerline and use a switch to get things that don’t move on Ethernet, for wifi, was expensive but the mesh system has been spot on for us and we had terrible interference.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #67 on: June 2, 2021, 06:01:12 pm »
Yeah its not just me here and have to cater for 3 others with their phones, laptops and tvs too so need something wide ranging. The extenders worked really up until a week or two ago.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #68 on: June 2, 2021, 06:12:55 pm »
Bump...

Been using a TP Link Ethernet Broadband Adapter/Extender to work upstairs (router is downstairs) and it's worked great since last October.

Now suddenly it's been giving me grief and since yesterday it keeps losing connection. It's not ISP related as my missus has been working away flawlessly on the same wi-fi although she sits by the router.

The model I'm using is a TP Link AC750 Wi-fi Range Extender.  https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re200/

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative  reliable Wi-fi extender I can connect my PC to via Ethernet cable as I do with this one?

Cheers

Had the same issue with mine since yesterday as well weirdly.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #69 on: June 2, 2021, 06:50:38 pm »
Had the same issue with mine since yesterday as well weirdly.

Have you both been vaccinated recently?  ;)
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #70 on: June 2, 2021, 06:54:05 pm »
Have you both been vaccinated recently?  ;)

Haha good point. :D

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #71 on: June 2, 2021, 10:06:38 pm »
Yeah its not just me here and have to cater for 3 others with their phones, laptops and tvs too so need something wide ranging. The extenders worked really up until a week or two ago.
I'd definitely recommend a mesh network, mines been spot on since I got it, we have a townhouse, there's one device on each floor that connect wirelessly to each other and it rarely drops below 150mb download, much better than  BT's offering too
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #72 on: June 2, 2021, 10:09:54 pm »
I'd definitely recommend a mesh network, mines been spot on since I got it, we have a townhouse, there's one device on each floor that connect wirelessly to each other and it rarely drops below 150mb download, much better than  BT's offering too

Are they easy to set up?

I’m not sure if my problem is with my TP Link thing, I’ve been working from home all day and my laptop has been fine. Me and the wife have iPhones and the wifi says ‘weak security’ so could it be an issue with that somehow?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #73 on: June 2, 2021, 10:55:03 pm »

Can you recommend any, or anyone else?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 3, 2021, 06:09:43 am »
I use eero and they’ve been flawless

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 3, 2021, 07:57:08 am »
Can you recommend any, or anyone else?

We’ve got tp link deco M9. Setup was mostly just taking it out of the box, downloading an app and switching it on. Only issue I had was with sky q but put it wired and it’s been fine, network is very stable.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #76 on: June 3, 2021, 08:21:59 am »
So I’ve just recently upgraded from normal sky broadband to fibre. Speed is much quicker, no problem there.

Problem is that the range of the new router is piss poor compared to the old one, which was maybe 6 years old.

What gives? By all accounts the new router is far better than the old one looking at the specs.

And clearly, I am in no way technology minded, so I’m struggling to see how this new router has such a worse range.

Is it a dual band router? If so, check if you have both enabled, and if you're trying to use the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz. The 5 GHz frequency has faster speeds but a smaller range, while the 2.4 is the other way round
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #78 on: June 3, 2021, 11:03:42 am »
I use eero and they’ve been flawless
We’ve got tp link deco M9. Setup was mostly just taking it out of the box, downloading an app and switching it on. Only issue I had was with sky q but put it wired and it’s been fine, network is very stable.

Thanks both. If I owned this place I'd be right on it but those are a little out of my price range. I'll have a look for something similar though :)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #79 on: June 3, 2021, 11:22:01 am »
I’ve just run a speed check and upstairs my speed is 1MBS! The TP Link can’t be working properly although the lights are on and I’ve connected it to my router again using the WBS buttons.

Does anyone know what could have happened? Just been kicked off a work Teams call about 4 times in half an hour so not ideal!