Author Topic: Boosting WiFi signal  (Read 16224 times)

Online owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Boosting WiFi signal
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:40:42 pm »
What’s the best way to boost/repeat a WiFi signal?

I’ve got one of those belkin WiFi boosters but I’ve heard they are rubbish.

My router is upstairs at the front of my house and I’ve had an extension done on the ground floor to the rear of the house which has very weak WiFi signal at the back.

I’ve seen those TPLinks/Home plugs but they seem to be just if you want to connect one device to the network via Ethernet? And it would be on different circuits which affects the performance too I’ve read.

I basically need something that will boost the WiFi signal in the extension but won’t weaken the bandwidth (if this is even possible) so that all my devices in the extension can cannot wirelessly without any problems.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boosting WiFi signal
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 09:53:16 pm »
What’s the best way to boost/repeat a WiFi signal?

I’ve got one of those belkin WiFi boosters but I’ve heard they are rubbish.

My router is upstairs at the front of my house and I’ve had an extension done on the ground floor to the rear of the house which has very weak WiFi signal at the back.

I’ve seen those TPLinks/Home plugs but they seem to be just if you want to connect one device to the network via Ethernet? And it would be on different circuits which affects the performance too I’ve read.

I basically need something that will boost the WiFi signal in the extension but won’t weaken the bandwidth (if this is even possible) so that all my devices in the extension can cannot wirelessly without any problems.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Some home plugs do both.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 10:02:36 pm »
Some home plugs do both.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575
I didn’t think they were an option because they aren’t on the same circuit in my house

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:08:27 pm »
I didn’t think they were an option because they aren’t on the same circuit in my house

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

If your upstairs and downstairs isn't on the same circuit then they're not,if it's just the extension then you could put it as close as possible.Just because upstairs and downstairs are using a different breaker/fuse doesn't mean it won't work,ours are and it stills works fine.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:18:38 pm »
It doesn't matter if they're on a different ring. They just need to be on the same supply. Basically on the same meter.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 10:26:15 pm »
Those TPLink plugs I use myself, one in my router downstairs by the router and the other upstairs on a different circuit

They're magic, use them!

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 11:16:44 pm »
It doesn't matter if they're on a different ring. They just need to be on the same supply. Basically on the same meter.

Yup it’s all about the electron flow.  :D

Online owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 11:49:32 pm »
Brilliant, looks like they are the way forward then. Just need to decide which speed I need now

Online Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 12:07:49 am »
Just seen a advert for BT saying they guarantee you getting WiFi in every room, seems to be a booster of some sorts they are offering, for free? I'm not sure.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 02:17:26 pm »
Just seen a advert for BT saying they guarantee you getting WiFi in every room, seems to be a booster of some sorts they are offering, for free? I'm not sure.
it's an expensive option £250 ish I think
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 03:20:57 pm »
it's an expensive option £250 ish I think
Should of known the price would be extortionate.

Online owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 04:25:41 pm »
Back again. The TP-Links are doing my head in because I have a network for upstairs and then another network for downstairs.

Has anyone had any experience of using google mesh system?

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 10:39:28 pm »
Back again. The TP-Links are doing my head in because I have a network for upstairs and then another network for downstairs.

Has anyone had any experience of using google mesh system?

How old is your house ?..
reason i ask is that i setup a powerline plugs for my mate, but the previous owner was a DIY nut and had f*cked the power circuit up..
kinda upstairs and downstairs were on different loops !.. not quite why/what but it messed the powerline connections up.. a pain.
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 10:44:54 pm »
Three Bedroom Semi here and always had a few hidden spots for wifi. I picked up this TPLink PowerLine mesh and it's been great everywhere, every room is strong and even pick it up in workshop out in garage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XSBGP7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline rubber soul

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 01:00:57 am »
I got this a few weeks ago, great mesh network with some decent added features. Works a treat, strong signal all over the house and in the garden. No noticeable drop off when there's 4 or 5 devices connected either.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/whole-home-wi-fi-systems/tp-link-deco-m5-whole-home-wifi-system-triple-pack-10166101-pdt.html

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #15 on: July 3, 2020, 09:56:37 pm »
Many of us by now may have an old router lying around, with BT or Virgin updating there's every so often?  You can use these to boost your wifi signal if you can get a cable to them, perhaps via a powerlink plug which you can pick up pretty cheaply.

You just need to turn the old router into an access point. This stops it acting as a router and turns it into a relay station to extend your network.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/

You just need to give the old router an IP address that's in the range of your new router, give it the same SSID and Password and then, last of all, disable DHCP. You will need to make sure the IP address you allocate is outside the range you allow for the new router though.

Once you've done this the old router will act as a surrogate wifi station for your network and you should be able to pass from one area to the other with mobile devices logging on to the strongest signal.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #16 on: July 4, 2020, 06:45:07 am »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: July 7, 2020, 06:58:21 pm »
Old router is the correct answer, one upstairs, one down. Get something like NetAnalyser app on your phone, set your wifi channels to something different from your neighbour & boom! Full Wifi everywhere

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 08:43:39 pm »
I'm looking to add extra pass through units to my TP-Link AV600 powerline network.

I actually only need one but it looks like they always come in pairs and I could do with the plug in units having two ethernet ports, one for my PS4 and one for my BTTV box.

Thing is, the only ones I can find come with a unit that seems to have to be plugged into the router and paired up with the other one, but I've already got that with my existing kit (wifi extender).

My question to any techies that can help is:  if I buy a set like the one below, can it pair up easily with my existing powerline adapters without having to connect a second one directly to my router?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J652QRY/ref=emc_b_5_t
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 12:11:02 pm »
I'm looking to add extra pass through units to my TP-Link AV600 powerline network.

I actually only need one but it looks like they always come in pairs and I could do with the plug in units having two ethernet ports, one for my PS4 and one for my BTTV box.

Thing is, the only ones I can find come with a unit that seems to have to be plugged into the router and paired up with the other one, but I've already got that with my existing kit (wifi extender).

My question to any techies that can help is:  if I buy a set like the one below, can it pair up easily with my existing powerline adapters without having to connect a second one directly to my router?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J652QRY/ref=emc_b_5_t

I've not used the powerlink adaptors for a while but I used to, had 5 of them through various parts of the house before we moved and they all worked so it should be OK, the answered questions in the amazon link you supplied appear to confirm this

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 09:02:56 pm »
Just bought a TP-LINK M4 Mesh Network and I must say the WIFI coverage in our 3 floor house has improved immeasurably.

We have recently moved to BT's FTTP 300 as they put it in in our street and whilst the speed into the router was as it should be we weren't getting the full speed over WIF, nowhere near it in fact. Although we were getting 150mbps which met their minimum speed guarantee!

Now though, we get 200 Mbps even on the top floor and hard wired get just under 500mbps which is above the maximum I thought for the package!

Not sure how that happened but not complaining. The kit was only £129.00 too which I thought was pretty good value and well worth it given what it's done for our WIFI

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 11:05:04 am »
I decided to update our old Netgear router last year. While it had no problems, it was patchy in one or two places in the house. After doing a lot of reading on it, I went for a Nest Wifi mesh setup. Based on their recommendations I should've only needed two extra points to cover our townhouse, but to be on the safe side I went for 3 to avoid the chance of any dead spots in the house.

The system was a total car crash.  Slow wifi, dropouts, points going offline and saying they were too far away even though some of them were within line of sight of the router. I spent 6 months getting in touch with support and eventually had to insist on a full refund.  Literally the only positives I can say about it are 1) it doesn't look like a router (nor perform like one) and 2) the points doubled up as ringers for our nest doorbell.

I bought a Netgear nighthawk and placed it in a more central location in the house than our old router (our living room in on the first floor, which helps).  I can now get perfect wifi in every part of the house and all around our garden. Cost 1/3 the price of the nest system and hasn't let us down once.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 02:14:01 pm »
I decided to update our old Netgear router last year. While it had no problems, it was patchy in one or two places in the house. After doing a lot of reading on it, I went for a Nest Wifi mesh setup. Based on their recommendations I should've only needed two extra points to cover our townhouse, but to be on the safe side I went for 3 to avoid the chance of any dead spots in the house.

The system was a total car crash.  Slow wifi, dropouts, points going offline and saying they were too far away even though some of them were within line of sight of the router. I spent 6 months getting in touch with support and eventually had to insist on a full refund.  Literally the only positives I can say about it are 1) it doesn't look like a router (nor perform like one) and 2) the points doubled up as ringers for our nest doorbell.

I bought a Netgear nighthawk and placed it in a more central location in the house than our old router (our living room in on the first floor, which helps).  I can now get perfect wifi in every part of the house and all around our garden. Cost 1/3 the price of the nest system and hasn't let us down once.

I don't know much about the Nest Mesh wifi systems, but general rule with wifi is use as few access points as possible, so err on the low side. There are limited channels they can use so if you have too many within range of each other you start getting interference which will cause all sorts of issues.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2020, 03:33:32 pm »
I don't know much about the Nest Mesh wifi systems, but general rule with wifi is use as few access points as possible, so err on the low side. There are limited channels they can use so if you have too many within range of each other you start getting interference which will cause all sorts of issues.

Google tried troubleshooting all of that over 6 months and finally conceded that my system was shite and took it back. All points were the recommended distance from each other. The extra one beyond their recommendation was for the garage so we could get good signal in the garden.

I think the main issue I found with it is that it's really, REALLY stupid when coming to choosing between 5ghz and 2.4ghz. Lost count of the times I had to reset it.  Utter muck. 

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #24 on: September 6, 2020, 09:20:23 am »
So I have an unusual "problem".

Bought a new router couple days ago-- the previous one was 6 years old so even though it was working fine it was time for a change-- and this is the new one https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax10/

I have a 250 mbps fiber connection and the old router was maxing out at around 100. The new one shows speeds of 245 mbps when I test it on my phone wifi (Galaxy S20) and the wired connection to my Xbox One S. However it's repeatedly showing speeds of around 490 mbps on my laptop wifi (Dell Inspiron 5482). It doesn't have an ethernet port so I can't test a wired connection, but I really don't see how it's possible to get those speeds on repeated tests on what is a 250 mbps line.

Has anyone come across this? I get that it's a stupid thing to complain about :D and I'm not complaining really, more just curious
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 6, 2020, 10:03:44 am »
Try a couple of alternative speed tests sites

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2021, 07:51:23 pm »
4 bed, 2 storey house, normal BT router getting guaranteed 41mb.

Have found with adding more tp smart plugs and an xbox in the last few months that the WiFi seems to be struggling.

We have 25 devices currently operating, 24 on 2.4 GHz, 1 on 5 GHz.

Would a mesh system help with this? The xbox is in the room next to the router so not sure if that's the answer?

And yes 25! I almost fell off my chair. Will work to cut that down but interested in the mesh solution.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 08:13:45 pm »
2.4GHz has better range but suffers from interference from other devices like cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves etc. 5GHz has a shorter range but better bandwidth and doesn’t suffer from the interference that 2.4GHz does.

If devices are reasonably  close to the router put them on 5GHz, it’s a no brainier. If the issues are being caused by many of the devices being quite far from the router then yes a mesh will help.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 09:00:33 pm »
It depends on what you mean by struggling. If the 25 devices are using up all the bandwidth, adding more APs won't help, and introduces potential for making it worse.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 12:29:15 am »
4 bed, 2 storey house, normal BT router getting guaranteed 41mb.

Have found with adding more tp smart plugs and an xbox in the last few months that the WiFi seems to be struggling.

We have 25 devices currently operating, 24 on 2.4 GHz, 1 on 5 GHz.

Would a mesh system help with this? The xbox is in the room next to the router so not sure if that's the answer?

And yes 25! I almost fell off my chair. Will work to cut that down but interested in the mesh solution.
Presume you’re not on BT’s Complete WiFi package as they’re supposed to guarantee WiFi throughout or give you £100
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 01:13:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies all.

The signal seems to be up and down on the WiFi. Told were not quite getting thr Internet speed to the house we should be but its only a bit down.

Seeing figures of 300 mbps in here blows my mind! We're almost on dial up by comparison

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 01:20:40 pm »
If the signal strength is up and down that points more towards interference. You can change the WiFi channel on your router to a different one which may be less congested.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hub
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:22:37 pm by Graeme »

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 01:22:14 pm »
If the signal strength is up and down that points more towards interference. You can change the WiFi channel on your router to a different one which may be less congested

Yeah this really does help.

Our apartment block comes with free internet, same router in each apartment, and we’ve been getting interference. Changed the channel a few days ago and it’s much better.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 03:32:53 pm »
So if you are buying a TP link Deco, get the M4 and not the E4. Has a gigabyte port which your modem connected to, while the E4 has a 100mb port which limits your speed to that throughput
Replaced the E4 with M4, getting 220mb all over the house and outside
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2021, 02:46:29 am »
Once I started working from home last year - my office was setup upstairs and I was losing connection to my remote virtual desktop for work every 20-25 mins for 30 seconds.

It was really frustrating as I'd normally be on calls to clients every single time that would happen.

Playing video games on my PS4 online - which is downstairs - was also dodgy, as I'd always experience annoying lag.

In the end I forked out for the Netgear Orbi - https://www.netgear.com.au/orbi/rbk50.aspx

Expensive - but has not put a foot wrong since I got it. Hitting top download & upload speeds 24/7 in all corners of the house.

No more drop outs, no more lagging when playing my PS4 online - it's been an absolute life saver, recommend it to anyone I have this conversation with!

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2021, 10:30:51 am »
So if you are buying a TP link Deco, get the M4 and not the E4. Has a gigabyte port which your modem connected to, while the E4 has a 100mb port which limits your speed to that throughput
Replaced the E4 with M4, getting 220mb all over the house and outside
Looking at the M4 and though we're on Virgin we never have need of the higher speeds so a deal on the E4 is tempting.

The TP Link is a router so do you set your Virgin router to modem mode or just connect everything up as is?

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2021, 10:38:35 am »
I had a Virgin media engineer round not long ago, he told me the cheap plug in ones are a waste of time.

To make any difference you need to buy the Mesh Wifi boosters. they arent cheap though!

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2021, 03:30:14 pm »
Looking at the M4 and though we're on Virgin we never have need of the higher speeds so a deal on the E4 is tempting.

The TP Link is a router so do you set your Virgin router to modem mode or just connect everything up as is?
Yep, the router is in modem mode, connect one lead to the modem and one to an ethernet switch with 8 ports for the cabled stuff

Actually got the M4 cheaper than the E4 cost me, E4 would be ok if your internet is limited to 100mb or less, works fine, both will be about £100
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2021, 08:42:44 pm »
Cheers BTI E4 is about £75 at the moment so I'm having a good look at it

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 01:39:38 am »
Cheers BTI E4 is about £75 at the moment so I'm having a good look at it
No problem, with Virgin it improved ours out of sight