Author Topic: Amazon Fire Stick  (Read 100577 times)

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Re: Amazon Fire Stick
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2016, 11:57:05 am »
I use a Fire Stick for exactly the same reasons and it's perfect for it. Have used it loads since I got it and it's never had any issues.

Cheers! Going to get one at lunchtime and set it up this afternoon. :)

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2016, 12:01:08 pm »

What do you mean by this?

Was going to pick up one for Christmas as a stocking filler for my Husband.

He had an Android box before with Wookie/XBMC/Kodi on it but it was so shit. We always ran into issues - stuff wouldn't load or the interface would delete itself etc... So we chucked it but he misses it, as he loves movies and TV. He has gone back to downloading torrents instead now but its an arse connecting the laptop to the TV, pausing it etc... We don't even watch Netflix anymore because its annoying connecting the laptop to the TV.

I was going to get a Fire TV stick and follow the instructions on here - load Kodi onto it and then the additional add-ons - Phoenix, Sports Mania (and get a sub), Exodus etc...

What is a better alternative?

Something I can pick up on the high-street? Don't want to order something online as I only have today and tomorrow morning to build it whilst he is at work.

It's for movies - not every day, but maybe 3-4 a week, maybe some TV series, we have full Sky Sports/BT sub so the only football we will watch will be 3pm games occasionally.

I much prefer a Raspberry Pi 3 to a Fire TV Stick myself. It takes seconds to put together and it's probably easier to set Kodi up on it than it is on a Fire TV Stick (neither are particularly difficult like). I can buy a full kit at the computer shop at the end of my road but not sure about the UK and the high street.

To be honest though your problem with the Android box is probably just that it's running an old version of Kodi and a poor build (although Wookie seemed alright last time I saw it).

I'd put a new fresh version of Kodi on that first and add the few individual addons (with their repositories) that you want. It will probably work fine.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2016, 12:10:22 pm »
I'd put a new fresh version of Kodi on that first and add the few individual addons (with their repositories) that you want. It will probably work fine.

i do think we actually still have it somewhere but it feels cursed!

And then I'd have to think of other stocking fillers for my Husband and he's difficult enough to buy for as it is!

Cheers though!

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2016, 12:11:54 pm »
i do think we actually still have it somewhere but it feels cursed!

And then I'd have to think of other stocking fillers for my Husband and he's difficult enough to buy for as it is!

Cheers though!
Get a Firestick anyway then and then when you have it set up you can then do the box for another room.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2016, 12:21:29 pm »

It's for movies - not every day, but maybe 3-4 a week, maybe some TV series
Exodus add on is probably all you need for this. Add a Real Debrid account and Trakt and it is brilliant.

Offline Alex Raisbeck

• Kopite
  • 'Arry Redknapp,baggy faced bell end bastard.
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2016, 12:23:14 pm »
Cheers! Going to get one at lunchtime and set it up this afternoon. :)
Another option is the Amazon Fire TV box which is basically the same as the firestick but you can get memory cards up to 120gb to increase its performance-I've got a firestick and have had absolutely no problems with it-probably because I have a really good fibre optic broadband signal but regular cache clearing etc. helps.
"How many lives has Liverpool skipper? 'Tis a puzzle that's hard to unravel; Each game he plays is the game of his life''....

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2016, 12:27:28 pm »
If budget is not a concern then the box over the stick all day long between the 2 Amazon devices. Saying that I have sticks and they're absolutely fine for viewing VOD content, just not so hot at HD live streaming.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2016, 12:28:52 pm »
Can't get this delivered to Ireland for some reason.. This may be a stupid question but would it be OK to buy it on eBay UK and get it delivered that Way?

Could use parcelmotel.com , assuming you have one of their lockers nearby.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »
Cheers everyone!

Looked at the Fire TV box and wondered what was good about it but had the same amount of RAM and storage, so swerved it :/

Bought the Fire TV Stick and have Kodi and Phoenix installed. He is home in 30 minutes so I don't really have time to install the other bits but I'll do that in the morning!

EDIT: Now have Kodi, Phoenix, Exodus and Sports Mania installed. I will get a trial sub to see how good it is. Think that is all he will use for now.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:06:45 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2016, 11:44:51 pm »
Cheers everyone!

Looked at the Fire TV box and wondered what was good about it but had the same amount of RAM and storage, so swerved it :/

Bought the Fire TV Stick and have Kodi and Phoenix installed. He is home in 30 minutes so I don't really have time to install the other bits but I'll do that in the morning!

EDIT: Now have Kodi, Phoenix, Exodus and Sports Mania installed. I will get a trial sub to see how good it is. Think that is all he will use for now.

You should also put modro on it, great for live TV from all over the world.

I use it a lot to watch the Liverpool matches usually on there somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:19:27 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2016, 12:04:20 am »
Got another fire stick today for my sister click & collect from pc world for £29.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2016, 06:47:08 pm »
Arrrgh! Everything I have installed, whenever I go to watch something, for example Exodus, when i select movies > most popular.... nothing happens! I click on any of those - genre, people, year etc... and bottom right it says 'working' and spins for a second or two then nothing happens.

Any ideas?

It's the same for the others.

I uninstalled them all and re-added them but no joy :/

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2016, 08:25:21 pm »
Got it... had to disable the smart setup on my router. Worked perfectly then.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2016, 10:09:28 pm »
Got it... had to disable the smart setup on my router. Worked perfectly then.
Make sure you install a maintenance add on in Kodi and every few days/once a week delete cache and packages. Maybe put CCleaner onto the stick too.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »
Could use parcelmotel.com , assuming you have one of their lockers nearby.
I thought that parcelmotel was for headaches an' stuff.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2016, 12:03:04 pm »
I thought that parcelmotel was for headaches an' stuff.
:wellin :wellin :wellin

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2016, 02:36:31 pm »
I would like one of these but know very little. Could anyone recommend one? I mainly want it to watch football on and eventually replace skyTV, wife wants it for movies.

Because of our area our broadband speed is between 2-3MBS, we cant upgrade to fibre optic because it isn't in our area.

Would one of these still work okay? Where is best to get one?

Thanks in advance
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2016, 02:06:35 pm »
I would like one of these but know very little. Could anyone recommend one? I mainly want it to watch football on and eventually replace skyTV, wife wants it for movies.

Because of our area our broadband speed is between 2-3MBS, we cant upgrade to fibre optic because it isn't in our area.

Would one of these still work okay? Where is best to get one?

Thanks in advance

I got one of the satellite boxes around 2 years ago. Recently gave it to my brother as I never used it. I only use this to watch anything. I don't know how good it would be for replacing sky, but I rarely watched or want to watch anything apart from Sport and the odd film. I have literally got Exodus and Sportsmania on my firestick, and everything I want to watch is available on them. All the series I watch, Game of Thrones, Westworld, The DC ones with my kid, are all on there within hours after broadcast in the US.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »
I got one of the satellite boxes around 2 years ago. Recently gave it to my brother as I never used it. I only use this to watch anything. I don't know how good it would be for replacing sky, but I rarely watched or want to watch anything apart from Sport and the odd film. I have literally got Exodus and Sportsmania on my firestick, and everything I want to watch is available on them. All the series I watch, Game of Thrones, Westworld, The DC ones with my kid, are all on there within hours after broadcast in the US.

Thanks. In honesty our only add on to the basic tv package is kids channels. My only concern is our internet speed being too slow and then it buffers for long periods.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2016, 09:00:24 pm »
Thanks. In honesty our only add on to the basic tv package is kids channels. My only concern is our internet speed being too slow and then it buffers for long periods.
That speed should be ok for viewing VOD stuff like films/TV series on Exodus but for streaming you'll likely struggle, 5-6mbps minimum is recommended.

Amazon, Argos, Tesco, Currys should all have them.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2016, 11:00:20 am »
That speed should be ok for viewing VOD stuff like films/TV series on Exodus but for streaming you'll likely struggle, 5-6mbps minimum is recommended.

Amazon, Argos, Tesco, Currys should all have them.

Thanks for your help
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline harrylfc

• Legacy Fan
  • XABI'S MATE
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2016, 02:52:23 pm »
Got daughter a fire stick,Kodii and mobdro on it,well impressed

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2016, 09:22:57 am »
Just got one soon as put kodi on think why did it take so long to get one.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2016, 03:53:20 pm »
Does anyone else find, when watching a series on exodus, that after having selected the next episode you then have to make (sometimes) many, many attempts to select from the list of possible sites before finding one that is showing the episode you want rather than the first episode in the series. (hope that makes sense)
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2016, 05:02:34 pm »
Does anyone else find, when watching a series on exodus, that after having selected the next episode you then have to make (sometimes) many, many attempts to select from the list of possible sites before finding one that is showing the episode you want rather than the first episode in the series. (hope that makes sense)

I've only had that happen to me once when watching Luke Cage. but that was only a hour or so after it was put up.

Is it a new series?
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2016, 05:30:26 pm »
I've only had that happen to me once when watching Luke Cage. but that was only a hour or so after it was put up.

Is it a new series?
No, a couple of different not new series!
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2016, 05:46:55 pm »
No, a couple of different not new series!
If it's the same provider you can filter them out in the settings. A Real Debrid account will decrease this a lot plus provide quality links.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2016, 09:21:58 pm »
If it's the same provider you can filter them out in the settings. A Real Debrid account will decrease this a lot plus provide quality links.
Cheers mate. As soon as I get your post translated I'll put it into operation. ;D
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2016, 09:40:14 pm »
Cheers mate. As soon as I get your post translated I'll put it into operation. ;D
;D

If you look at the links that come up when you've entered a search there is a provider name for each link, first name in the link (Movies14, Onemovies etc), you can go into the settings (tools, providers) and filter these out from the search.

Real Debrid is a service that is subscription (about £13 for 6 months) and it sources links from premium providers so when configured with Exodus etc bumps all the good links up in your searches, more good stuff, less of the crap. You can also download to PC anything you have watched through the RD website, even if you've only watched for a minute or so, speedy downloads too. These will also be available to download or view on your phone through the RD app.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2016, 10:18:45 pm »
;D

If you look at the links that come up when you've entered a search there is a provider name for each link, first name in the link (Movies14, Onemovies etc), you can go into the settings (tools, providers) and filter these out from the search.

Real Debrid is a service that is subscription (about £13 for 6 months) and it sources links from premium providers so when configured with Exodus etc bumps all the good links up in your searches, more good stuff, less of the crap. You can also download to PC anything you have watched through the RD website, even if you've only watched for a minute or so, speedy downloads too. These will also be available to download or view on your phone through the RD app.
Topman!
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2016, 10:33:08 pm »
Topman!
:wave

If you watch a lot of series I would recommend linking Trakt with Exodus as well. You can set up watch lists, collections etc so you don't need to keep searching for them. You can add series to your collections and it will add new seasons of them automatically, rate a programme after you've watched and it ticks each off so you know where you're up to. Also if you have the Kodiapps app on your phone you can click on a movie (it lists latest movies added to Kodi) and it will link it to your Trakt account and add it to your watch list.

This works across devices too so as long as you have it configured with Exodus on all your devices you're cool. Certain links even let you stop and resume later.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:37:23 pm by tedmus »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 1, 2017, 09:06:39 am »
Excellent stuff ted thanks for your time, mate.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:11 pm »
Does anyone use a game controller for the ROMs. If so what do you use? The amazon one seems expensive, just looking for something cheap for Mario Cart
“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Offline qwerty_in_advance

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2017, 01:05:42 pm »
Does anyone use a game controller for the ROMs. If so what do you use? The amazon one seems expensive, just looking for something cheap for Mario Cart

I just use PS4 remote on my Fire TV
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2017, 09:46:50 pm »

What? Mario Kart on a Fire Stick?!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2017, 10:02:38 pm »
What? Mario Kart on a Fire Stick?!

You can get hundreds of games from emulators on there now.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2017, 10:15:45 pm »
You can get hundreds of games from emulators on there now.

How?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2017, 10:31:30 pm »
I just use PS4 remote on my Fire TV

How do you do that?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2017, 10:38:25 pm »
How do you do that?

Go into settings and click to add bluetooth device,not done it myself but I have paired with loads of headphones.

You can also get games with some kodi addons.