Author Topic: The Gym  (Read 35070 times)

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Re: The Gym
« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2020, 05:29:55 pm »
I'm hoping that I've finally cracked it, six weeks now I signed up to the gym (probably the tenth gym of my life so far :lmao) I've managed to maintain 3 regular visits per week. I think it's because I've finally sprung for a more comfortable gym (Bannatynes) rather than the spit and sawdust ones I used to.

What I'm wondering though is if my workout is balanced. I'm trying to work out all areas evenly, don't want to be that guy who "skipped leg day" and would appreciate some guidance from you buffs.

I'll post this in the other relevant thread too so sorry for the repetition!

Day one: Bench Press - 4 sets of 8 to 12 @ 70%
Incline DB Press 4 sets of 8 to 12
One arm DB row 4 sets of 8 to 10
Dumbell Curl 4 sets of 12 to 15
Face Pull 4 sets of 12 to 15
Weighted Situp 4 sets of 12 to 15
Swim

Day two:    Squats 4 sets of 8 @ 70%
   Deadlifts 4 sets of 8
   Bulgarian Split Squat 3 sets of 8-10 per leg
   Back Extension 3 sets of 10 to 12
   Leg Press 4 sets of 8 to 10
   Swim

Day three: Barbell overhead press 4 sets of 8 @ 70%
Dip 4 sets of 8
Assisted Pullup 4 sets of 8
Barbell Curl 4 sets of 10 to 12
Shrug 4 sets of 10 to 12
Hanging Leg Raise 4 sets of 12 to 15
Russian Twist 4 sets of 12 to 15
Swim
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2020, 10:39:21 pm »
I generally do a push/pull split with a leg day in between or do push/pull&legs depending on how many times I can get to the gym in a week. I usually try to go 6 times.

You can train your core everyday as well so maybe add in some more core exercises on your second day as well if you have the time.

Looks like you're hitting pretty much every muscle group there so it's not too bad, I'd look in to push/pull splits though you can do more exercises to hit specific muscle groups.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2021, 01:35:35 pm »
So who has spent way more than they ever thought they would on weights/gym equipment for at home during the last year?

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2021, 05:55:10 pm »
Not me. Lost all motivation, can't work out at home at all.

Can't wait for the gyms to reopen.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2021, 07:56:58 pm »
Same with me, I'll do a bit of HIIT for 10 mins then crash down on the sofa and pant like a dog. Just can't manage it. Freezing outside aswell so can't be bothered going running, my knees are shot anyway. Sooner the gym opens the better but doesn't look like it'll be anytime soon unfortunately.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2021, 08:37:02 pm »
I'm fortunate that I have a garden, and have income so bought a calorie bike, 2 x 20kg dumbells, 20kg barbel with 2 x 5, 10, 15 and 20kg plates. Obviously it does not compare to the gym but it's enough to keep me ticking over. Over the summer/early autumn I would work out after work (WFH) at 1930pm but then switched to my lunch break as it got dark earlier. Even in your living room it;s possible to do something.

I had just started crossfit a few months before COVID came up so I just continued. Before then I was just a normal gym goer, pounding on the weights with a tiny bit of cardio. Crossfit is good in that it's a mix of cardio and Olympic weight lifting, where alot of the emphasis is on rounds and reps so no need to go so heavy on the weights. Also it helps to deal with working out in the cold. You get warm very quickly!

Typically there are WODs (workout of the day) to mix up the sessions. Emphasis on AMRAP (as many reps as possible) or for time, meaning that a 12 minute WOD at high intensity could challenge you! Scroll down on the following link for some WODs: https://www.menshealth.com/uk/fitness/a26797763/best-crossfit-workouts/

Some WODs even require you to use your own body weight.

Crossfit even with 2 x dumbells at a challenging weight you can do alot with! Just my 2 cents to help inspire you.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2021, 10:21:54 am »
Interesting mix of replies. I had very little at home when lockdown hit. I was mixing weights and calisthenics exercises at the gym. I luckily had gymnastics rings at home, so the first thing I bought for home was some high parallettes and a couple of kettlebells. I thought just being able to maintain strength through this would be a positive but I have managed to make some gains along the way.

I think the best thing about working out at home is that it has motivated the wife. Have had to buy some more intermediate kettlebells/dumbbells for her and some heavier stuff for me, so it feels like we have quite the range now.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2021, 10:35:35 am »
I'm building a gym in the back garden. Buying one of those outdoor house thingamijs and putting a treadmill, weights etc.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2021, 10:44:18 am »
20kg barbel with 2 x 5, 10, 15 and 20kg plates.

I'd kill to get some really heavy weights and a barbell. That is the thing I miss the most from the gym I think, apart from the people/mates, testing yourself on strength days.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2021, 01:40:29 pm »
I'd kill to get some really heavy weights and a barbell. That is the thing I miss the most from the gym I think, apart from the people/mates, testing yourself on strength days.

I bought my equipment from power gym fitness, if you're in the Liverpool region

https://www.powergymfitness.co.uk/contact/

I'm in London and they shipped here no issues.

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2021, 08:10:34 pm »
Taking part in an online 4 week intense exercise programme at a local gym, starting March 8th, to time if for the gym opening on April 12th.

Here's hoping this is finally the thing that gets me in the zone.

Is there a term for wishing you had the motivation to do something you want to do.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #211 on: March 2, 2021, 03:52:10 pm »
Anyone have any decent bodyweight routines that have worked well?

I bought a pair of 40KG adjustable DBs at the start of lockdown and one of them has fallen apart. The place I bought it isn't responding at all, so trying to find a workaround for the time being. The remaining DB is alright for some exercises as well, like, but not great for all of them on its own.

No point buying more gear either as we're emigrating in six months.

Cheers all  :wave
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2021, 12:39:20 am »
Anyone have any decent bodyweight routines that have worked well?

I bought a pair of 40KG adjustable DBs at the start of lockdown and one of them has fallen apart. The place I bought it isn't responding at all, so trying to find a workaround for the time being. The remaining DB is alright for some exercises as well, like, but not great for all of them on its own.

No point buying more gear either as we're emigrating in six months.

Cheers all  :wave
Reddit's bodyweight fitness sub has a recommended routine that's supposedly pretty good according to a mate of mine who's been doing it for a while https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine. That sub in general is decent for bodyweight stuff, as far as I can tell (in no way am I an expert though!). There's a fair few youtube channels that have some really informative bodyweight stuff - fitnessfaqs and calisthenic movement are the ones that spring to mind, but there's loads out there I think.

I'm mostly just doing bodyweight stuff myself at the minute, though also have bands, a couple of (dead light, unfortunately) kettlebells, and recently got some rings, which are bloody excellent, btw, would strongly recommend to anyone. With regards to what routine, I'm mostly just doing a vague version of what I used to do with weights, but with bodyweight substitutions (pressups for bench, pike pushups or handstand pushups for OH press, various bodyweight squat progressions for squats etc.). They're not perfect, and adding resistance can be a challenge, but I find as long as I keep vaguely near failure on sets it seems to be working out ok. There doesn't seem to be a great substitute for the deadlift unfortunately. I find lower body stuff quite awkward when doing bodyweight stuff generally actually - can do stupid amounts of split squats to the extent that I'm probably outside the rep range for anything really beneficial, but don't have the ankle mobility for pistol squats yet. Ah well.

Oh, and have you got a pull up bar, or something to hang from? I think that's close to being essential for bodyweight workouts, or it has been for me anyways, otherwise I'm not really sure how pulling exercises would be possible (isometric holds maybes, but I've never really done them so no idea how effective they are). In general though, I'm quite enjoying the calisthenics, and I'm definitely stronger and more built than when I started doing them at the beginning of lockdown, although that may also because I hadn't been to the gym in months  as my shoulder and elbow were getting knackered, so everything regressed. That's another thing - my joints feel a lot better doing bodyweight training than when I used to lift weights. Still think I'll probably go back to the gym eventually, but I am kinda considering not bothering and just doing calisthenics for a while.

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2021, 08:15:23 am »
Anyone had any experience of 5x5 routine? hoping to run it for 10-12 weeks for a lean bulk. Will I need to add isolation exercises at the end of a workout to target smaller muscle groups or will the compounds tire them enough?

Thanks in advance

:wave :wanker

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2021, 09:59:37 am »
Anyone had any experience of 5x5 routine? hoping to run it for 10-12 weeks for a lean bulk. Will I need to add isolation exercises at the end of a workout to target smaller muscle groups or will the compounds tire them enough?

Thanks in advance

:wave :wanker

You can't go wrong with it really. I presume you mean the 3-day whole body workout? Not sure what level you're at but it's particularly good for newbies.

No harm in adding isolation exercises.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2021, 12:58:41 pm »
this one:

The Original
Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Reverse Flies 3x10
Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset
Workout B
Front Squat 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8
Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset (I don’t care what ab work you do)

Will give it a whirl for 2-3 months and see how I get on.

Thanks for your help

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2021, 11:51:36 pm »
this one:

The Original
Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Reverse Flies 3x10
Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset
Workout B
Front Squat 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8
Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset (I don’t care what ab work you do)

Will give it a whirl for 2-3 months and see how I get on.

Thanks for your help

I'd personally add in some normal deadlifts, at least once a week. Seems odd to be missing such a compound exercise. But then again I do love me some deadlifts!

No shoulder press either although I guess the incline bench is meant to cover that off.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2021, 12:45:47 pm »
OHP / incline bench are interchangeable on that, as are DL / front squat + Romanian

Found an app called starting strength so might use that as a record of my progression on the big compounds

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2021, 05:49:09 pm »
Me and my girlfriend are looking to join a gym together but only when you can do the full works there again. I haven't been in a gym since February 2020. What's the situation now? Can you just turn up, use any machines/pool and shower there? Or is it bookings? I used to go the one on Rose Lane but thinking Garston now as my girlfriend only wants the pool and it's much bigger there.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
« Reply #219 on: May 31, 2021, 08:21:05 pm »
Me and my girlfriend are looking to join a gym together but only when you can do the full works there again. I haven't been in a gym since February 2020. What's the situation now? Can you just turn up, use any machines/pool and shower there? Or is it bookings? I used to go the one on Rose Lane but thinking Garston now as my girlfriend only wants the pool and it's much bigger there.

All facilities open at mine but it's only the 24/7 cheapo on Greaty.

There's no bookings etc but the app does tell you how full it is

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2021, 09:00:33 pm »
Can anybody recommend any good pre/post workout recovery drinks? Not looking for protein shakes or anything like that as looking to lose weight but would like something that would assist in muscle recovery. Shall I just get on the steds?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2021, 10:36:27 pm »
Can anybody recommend any good pre/post workout recovery drinks? Not looking for protein shakes or anything like that as looking to lose weight but would like something that would assist in muscle recovery. Shall I just get on the steds?

Protein shakes can be very low calorie, especially the powder and if you take it with water. You won't find anything better in drink form!

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: October 1, 2021, 10:44:47 am »
Protein shakes can be very low calorie, especially the powder and if you take it with water. You won't find anything better in drink form!

Any recommendations mate? Are the BCAA powder drinks worth a go too?

I've just ordered some whey protein, pre workout and BCAA drinks from Optimum Nutrition. They get delivered tomorrow so will give them all a go!
« Last Edit: October 1, 2021, 12:01:50 pm by AndyMuller »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 1, 2021, 10:49:13 pm »
Any recommendations mate? Are the BCAA powder drinks worth a go too?

I've just ordered some whey protein, pre workout and BCAA drinks from Optimum Nutrition. They get delivered tomorrow so will give them all a go!

Nah all whey protein is much the same, just go for a flavour you like and you'll be fine. MyProtein has a really good variety of powders if you want to get away from the chocolate/banana/strawberry bore fest.

BCAA's however are completely unnecessary. There is no evidence of them benefitting anyone in any way. It's a fad. Everything they provide you'll be getting from food (unless you have a really poor diet). I know you said you've already brought some but I beg you to look up some research before consumption!

I feel strongly about this ;D

What pre workout have you got? They can work really well but just be prepared from some weird tingly feelings when you start to work out! That's when you know it's working!! 
« Last Edit: October 1, 2021, 10:52:51 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: October 2, 2021, 09:44:36 am »
Nah all whey protein is much the same, just go for a flavour you like and you'll be fine. MyProtein has a really good variety of powders if you want to get away from the chocolate/banana/strawberry bore fest.

BCAA's however are completely unnecessary. There is no evidence of them benefitting anyone in any way. It's a fad. Everything they provide you'll be getting from food (unless you have a really poor diet). I know you said you've already brought some but I beg you to look up some research before consumption!

I feel strongly about this ;D

What pre workout have you got? They can work really well but just be prepared from some weird tingly feelings when you start to work out! That's when you know it's working!!

I just got the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout and BCAAs. I know what you are saying about fads, I’ll see how I get on with them as I’ve always believed stuff like that to be a placebo. I was heavy into weight lifting years ago and always had protein but never used any pre workout or BCAAs.

I will let you know how it goes!  ;D

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 6, 2021, 02:34:36 am »
First session in 587 days today. I may need help getting dressed in the morning.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2021, 12:52:53 pm »
Any help or suggestions.

Gym novice looking to lose body fat & improve body "shape" / add muscle. Weight is fine.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2021, 08:14:00 am »
Any help or suggestions.

Gym novice looking to lose body fat & improve body "shape" / add muscle. Weight is fine.

Look up the Starting Strength routine. Great for beginners as it ensures you do all your core exercises regularly - one of the biggest mistakes beginners make is focusing too much on chest and arms for vanity purposes.

As a beginner you'll be able to lost fat and increase muscle, it's the best time for going the gym! But once you're out of your "newbie gains" period you'll have to focus more on your diet to achieve whatever you want to achieve. It's not possible to build muscle and lost fat at the same time once your body has adapted (unless you get on the juice).

Other than that, track your calories (work out how much you should be consuming), eat lots of protein, and once you're really into it, look to add supplements like creatine to give you an extra edge.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:16:11 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2021, 06:51:44 pm »
Look up the Starting Strength routine. Great for beginners as it ensures you do all your core exercises regularly - one of the biggest mistakes beginners make is focusing too much on chest and arms for vanity purposes.

As a beginner you'll be able to lost fat and increase muscle, it's the best time for going the gym! But once you're out of your "newbie gains" period you'll have to focus more on your diet to achieve whatever you want to achieve. It's not possible to build muscle and lost fat at the same time once your body has adapted (unless you get on the juice).

Other than that, track your calories (work out how much you should be consuming), eat lots of protein, and once you're really into it, look to add supplements like creatine to give you an extra edge.
Cheers mate.

Is this kind of thing ok?

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workout-plan/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-beginners-guide-building-stronger-more-muscular-physique/

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2021, 09:49:13 pm »
I'm hoping that I've finally cracked it, six weeks now I signed up to the gym (probably the tenth gym of my life so far :lmao) I've managed to maintain 3 regular visits per week. I think it's because I've finally sprung for a more comfortable gym (Bannatynes) rather than the spit and sawdust ones I used to.

What I'm wondering though is if my workout is balanced. I'm trying to work out all areas evenly, don't want to be that guy who "skipped leg day" and would appreciate some guidance from you buffs.

I'll post this in the other relevant thread too so sorry for the repetition!

Day one: Bench Press - 4 sets of 8 to 12 @ 70%
Incline DB Press 4 sets of 8 to 12
One arm DB row 4 sets of 8 to 10
Dumbell Curl 4 sets of 12 to 15
Face Pull 4 sets of 12 to 15
Weighted Situp 4 sets of 12 to 15
Swim

Day two:    Squats 4 sets of 8 @ 70%
   Deadlifts 4 sets of 8
   Bulgarian Split Squat 3 sets of 8-10 per leg
   Back Extension 3 sets of 10 to 12
   Leg Press 4 sets of 8 to 10
   Swim

Day three: Barbell overhead press 4 sets of 8 @ 70%
Dip 4 sets of 8
Assisted Pullup 4 sets of 8
Barbell Curl 4 sets of 10 to 12
Shrug 4 sets of 10 to 12
Hanging Leg Raise 4 sets of 12 to 15
Russian Twist 4 sets of 12 to 15
Swim

what are you aiming to achieve?

1 set of 5 for deadlift every second workout is more than adequate for novice adding 2.5kg to the bar in each workout. id advise getting some coaching from someone who knows what they are doing on how to deadlift. the conventional textbook set up doesnt work for everyone. the optimum set up for you will be unique for your body type and proportions.e.g for me the heels of my feet are about 2 inches apart with my hands just outside that. i have short arms. also work on your grip strength as that will grind your progress to a halt way before your actual limit if its not great. it will feel like you cant lift anymore when in reality your grip is just failing and you can actually lift more . id recommended learning to hook grip. it feels weird at first and like your thumbs are going to burst but you will get used of it after a week or so of doing it. also chalk is recommended. Elevate grip is a good brand i find.  Use mix grip if you cant hook grip and your overhand grip is shit. i personally dont like it and it can cause bicep tears and upper back imbalance when you start lifiting heavy weights.

squats. 3 x 5 reps  at least 2 times per week adding 2.5 to 5 kg is the way to go for a novice. also as per deadlift get coaching if you can and make sure you are hitting depth. record yourself if you have to or ask someone to judge. nothing worse than going up alot of weight and then realising you arent even close to parallel even and having to start over again. the crease of your hips should drop below the top of our knee cap. its not easy for everyone to achieve this but make every effort.  If low bar squatting, make sure you are getting the bar set correctly on your back also, it makes a huge difference.  and brace , brace ,brace. deep breath, squeeze your abs and hold your breath as you descend and only exhale when you have finished the rep at the top. this is so important to avoid hurting your back and you wont squat any weight without doing it. bracing is also vital for deadlift.

edit-just realised i responded to a post thats just over a year old but the advice might be helpful to some regardless.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:54:44 pm by darragh85 »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2021, 10:35:31 pm »
Use mix grip if you cant hook grip and your overhand grip is shit. i personally dont like it and it can cause bicep tears and upper back imbalance when you start lifiting heavy weights.

Just going to emphasis this as someone who tore his bicep tendon 14 months ago and still hasn't got back to 100%.

Absolutely do not use a mixed grip when deadlifting heavy!! ;D

Straps have sorted me right out since and I can deadlift as much as ever. Just don't ask me to do a bicep curl with any sort of weight.

Cheers mate.

Is this kind of thing ok?

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workout-plan/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-beginners-guide-building-stronger-more-muscular-physique/

Yep that's fine. You can add in some isolation exercises after each day if you've got the energy and feel the need.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:38:12 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2021, 06:50:57 am »
Cheers. Will look into it and get started.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2021, 06:23:31 pm »
I've been back for 3 weeks after an 18-month hiatus. Loving having it be part of my routine again.

I'm weak as shit though.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 28, 2021, 12:46:06 am »
Just going to emphasis this as someone who tore his bicep tendon 14 months ago and still hasn't got back to 100%.

Absolutely do not use a mixed grip when deadlifting heavy!! ;D

Straps have sorted me right out since and I can deadlift as much as ever. Just don't ask me to do a bicep curl with any sort of weight.

Yep that's fine. You can add in some isolation exercises after each day if you've got the energy and feel the need.

Out of curiosity, What weight we're you deadlifting when you tore it though? I personally don't like it either and would only do it as a last resort. If you start to flex your supinated arm as you pull that's when there is a good chance of tearing your bicep. Grip really shouldn't stop you lifting as heavy as you can though. Best advice is to learn the hook grip. It's won't take long to get used of it even though it feels awful starting off. Perseverance is needed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: October 28, 2021, 11:18:41 am »
Out of curiosity, What weight we're you deadlifting when you tore it though? I personally don't like it either and would only do it as a last resort. If you start to flex your supinated arm as you pull that's when there is a good chance of tearing your bicep. Grip really shouldn't stop you lifting as heavy as you can though. Best advice is to learn the hook grip. It's won't take long to get used of it even though it feels awful starting off. Perseverance is needed

It was 220kg, which would have been a PB (and ironically as I started the rep my last thought before hearing the pop was "I've got this!").

Had surgery and funnily enough the deadlift was the first exercise where I felt I was back to 100%, probably after about 4-5 months, because with proper form the bicep should obviously be very static. I haven't gone one-rep max yet but I've done 8 reps on 180kg which I think would equate to slightly more than 220kg. Straps have helped immensely.

Everything else took a while longer to get back to how it was, but I'm at or close to 100% with every exercise now apart from curls. It still hurts when I'm warming up, and then when I do my top sets it dies after about 50% of the reps that I can do with my good arm. Annoying as I've always had super strong biceps compared to other muscle groups, but it is what it is and I only have my own stupidity to blame!

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2021, 09:55:16 pm »
It was 220kg, which would have been a PB (and ironically as I started the rep my last thought before hearing the pop was "I've got this!").

Had surgery and funnily enough the deadlift was the first exercise where I felt I was back to 100%, probably after about 4-5 months, because with proper form the bicep should obviously be very static. I haven't gone one-rep max yet but I've done 8 reps on 180kg which I think would equate to slightly more than 220kg. Straps have helped immensely.

Everything else took a while longer to get back to how it was, but I'm at or close to 100% with every exercise now apart from curls. It still hurts when I'm warming up, and then when I do my top sets it dies after about 50% of the reps that I can do with my good arm. Annoying as I've always had super strong biceps compared to other muscle groups, but it is what it is and I only have my own stupidity to blame!

id be reluctant to mix grip above 160kg. always hook grip for me. my overhand grip is poor. i havent had any great success in improving it but dont see the point

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2022, 05:26:24 pm »
Anyone in JD in town?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2022, 11:34:52 am »
Resistance bands or weights?

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2022, 11:47:31 am »
I've been back for 3 weeks after an 18-month hiatus. Loving having it be part of my routine again.

I'm weak as shit though.

This is me too, so annoyed at myself for allowing myself to be in this situation but you just gotta crack on, been 2 weeks in now and genuinely enjoy going. Its really tough to get my arse there after work because I travel a fair bit home but I really enjoy it whilst I'm there.

Usually I have it in the back of my head that I'll fuck it off again, but don't have it this time, which is nice.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2022, 01:02:21 pm »
Resistance bands or weights?

Depends on your goals really.

I don't think I'd really advise resistance band training only, unless you are just looking to do some simple exercises to tone up / improve mobility. Otherwise, I think they are more useful to supplement wider training programs. They are hard to master, difficult to overload with, difficult to progress with, and difficult to measure improvements with.

So my answer would be weights, but why not both!