Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 125184 times)

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2012, 11:58:59 am »
Gotta love the price increase. A 'free' upgrade we were told we were getting. Instead we are paying for it and their cranky service
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2012, 12:11:25 pm »
I only signed up in August aswell. When my contract is up I'm going back to sky and getting bt infinity

You don't have to wait - there's a get out clause within 30 days of notification of the rise

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2012/11/virgin-media-to-hike-prices

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2012, 12:42:48 pm »
Bloody hell, Hiking the prices up for the shoody service they provide, not ruddy likely. B.T. here I come.
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Virgin Media
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2012, 01:51:17 pm »
There all putting there prices up btw. Think I'm just gonna see my contract out you know. Don't even have a bt line and that can take weeks to put in. This time of the year...just can't be arsed with the hassle.

Offline S7ARZ

• Legacy Fan
  • 25/05/05
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2012, 10:41:06 pm »
A question regarding the Virgin Hub

When you log in to the Hub, I am aware that you can view how much data has been uploaded/downloaded during a session. I was wondering whether there is anyway to view the source of data being downloaded and also if it is possible to see which computer it is being downloaded from. The problem I'm having is very slow internet speeds and I don't believe it is any fault of Virgin as every day I check the amount that has gone through the router and it's always 5-10GB, which to me seems excessive. So I wanted to explore where this data is going to/coming from and possibly block it's domain but I have no idea currently.

Thanks for any help  :wave

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 3, 2013, 12:04:44 pm »
Anybody been using the Virgin TV Anywhere App? I don't have TiVo but am wondering what it is like?

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #86 on: January 3, 2013, 01:58:40 pm »
Anybody been using the Virgin TV Anywhere App? I don't have TiVo but am wondering what it is like?

I tried to use it on my Iphone but you need a wireless dongle to plug in your tv for it to work so presuming it only works at home? You can use the app on your laptop though (not sure if Tivo is needed) which basically gives you 50 channels including sky sports, movies etc (if you pay for them in your monthly bill). The quality is decent too.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Rich

• Kopite
  • RAWK Lurker
« Reply #87 on: January 3, 2013, 02:23:13 pm »
I find that its fairly useless unless you have sky sports or really love watching Channel 5.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #88 on: January 3, 2013, 06:48:50 pm »
I tried to use it on my Iphone but you need a wireless dongle to plug in your tv for it to work so presuming it only works at home? You can use the app on your laptop though (not sure if Tivo is needed) which basically gives you 50 channels including sky sports, movies etc (if you pay for them in your monthly bill). The quality is decent too.

Ok, didn't know about the laptop option so thanks for that.

I think you need your TiVo box connected to the net as well as your iPad obviously. Not sure why the TiVo box needs to be connected as I assume you get the stream from the net, not your box.

Good to know you can still get Sky channels on there too.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #89 on: January 3, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »
I find that its fairly useless unless you have sky sports or really love watching Channel 5.
It would be useful for me so that the missus isn't subjected to all my sports watching.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #90 on: January 3, 2013, 08:16:28 pm »
heres my bug with the shower

I have basic tv package broadband and landline as a bundle. As far as ~I can tell I need the Digi Tv box to run the services but some standard freeview channels are blocked for no reason I tried medium tv package once before and got full freeview plus more bullshit that I never watched such but why the hell on the basic tv do I not get channels that come with a standard freeview box ? ? ?

I know they would like me to upgrade but surely its wrong to block channels ? the funny thing is I have Film four but film four +1 is blocked haha

anyone else noticed you get less channels than freeview on the basic tv ?

Offline Casablancas

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #91 on: January 3, 2013, 09:09:31 pm »
We are considering switching from Sky to Virgin, but after reading some of the comments on here it doesn't too promising. Main reasons are Sky internet being crap and unstable, as well as being able to get an extra V+HD box for another room. When we phoned to enquire I think it was around £50 for the first 6 months for one of the top packages then goes to double, but were told we could then change the package to bring the price down.
Without the sunglasses, Weekend at Bernie's would have been a very dark, strange tale.

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #92 on: January 3, 2013, 10:46:27 pm »
We are considering switching from Sky to Virgin, but after reading some of the comments on here it doesn't too promising. Main reasons are Sky internet being crap and unstable, as well as being able to get an extra V+HD box for another room. When we phoned to enquire I think it was around £50 for the first 6 months for one of the top packages then goes to double, but were told we could then change the package to bring the price down.
google your postcode or area so you know if there are any problems with broadband in your area, like high utilization. It took them about 5 months to fix the issue in my area, but I couldn't be happier now!
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 3, 2013, 10:48:55 pm »

To be honest mate, I'm happier for making the switch. Even when my package goes to full price, it will be cheaper than I would be paying with Sky. I have XL TV with Sports, V+ HD box and HD box upstairs. Only issue I have is the HD channels. While you get all the basic channels in HD, you have to pay extra for Sky Sports HD.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 3, 2013, 10:56:06 pm »
My question:

How do you connect Virgin to a second TV. I have a HD Vbox upstairs in my bedroom. I have connected a splitter and ran a cable to my kids bedroom, where I have another standard Vbox (Not HD) but I'm not getting any channels. Just says - Your virgin media services will commence shortly, and it's said this for over an hour. I just want the same channels as the bedroom, not the watch different channels in different rooms option. Also, does the magic eye thing work on Virgin as it does with Sky?

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 3, 2013, 11:21:38 pm »
My question:

How do you connect Virgin to a second TV. I have a HD Vbox upstairs in my bedroom. I have connected a splitter and ran a cable to my kids bedroom, where I have another standard Vbox (Not HD) but I'm not getting any channels. Just says - Your virgin media services will commence shortly, and it's said this for over an hour. I just want the same channels as the bedroom, not the watch different channels in different rooms option. Also, does the magic eye thing work on Virgin as it does with Sky?

Dont you need another card? or have you got one Im sure they will need to turn it on

I wanted another tivo box but apparently it wouldnt work unless i paid a monthly subscription!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 3, 2013, 11:32:55 pm »
Dont you need another card? or have you got one Im sure they will need to turn it on

I wanted another tivo box but apparently it wouldnt work unless i paid a monthly subscription!

I don't want the multi room option though where you can watch different channels in different rooms. Just whats on in one room is on in the other as well. Certain there's a way to do it using a splitter but cant figure out how

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 3, 2013, 11:56:53 pm »
My question:

In that case I believe this is your answer

You cannot split any of the cables. If you do so, you will need to have another box to decode the signal.

You need a cable connected to RF out of your receiver and the second TV. You will only be able to watch the same channel on either/both TVs. This is only possible based on the assumption that your Receiver has an RF out. If it doesn't you will need another device.

as long as you have an RF out on the box thats all you need

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 4, 2013, 12:57:21 am »
Yeah I have another box. But I don't have the rf out connector. Is it just a simple case of putting the rf out connector on the cable, plugging it in the box, then a scart from the box to the tv?

Or do you mean a cable from the rf out to the tv? Where do I out the cable from the splitter if so? The rf in socket?
« Last Edit: January 4, 2013, 12:59:30 am by Barneylfc »

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 4, 2013, 01:20:44 am »

Or do you mean a cable from the rf out to the tv? Where do I out the cable from the splitter if so? The rf in socket?

ah I was thinking of the old boxes and sky boxes!

I found this thread

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Is-there-an-RF-Out-on-the-Tivo/td-p/691051

looks like you may need one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Scart-Coax-Video-Modulator/dp/B000M6SMKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314726198&sr=8-1

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 4, 2013, 01:33:21 am »
The second box is an old one that does have the rf in/out plugs in it

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 4, 2013, 01:35:57 am »
I just don't have the rf out connector on the end of the cable. I'm aware I can get one for a quid on eBay. So when I get one, do I just plug in the cable to the rf out plug, then just a standard scart from the box to the tv?

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 4, 2013, 01:40:27 am »
No,  you dont need the second box the rf out needs to be your main box you then run a lead from the rf out to the aerial socket on your second tv,  thats how i understand it anyway

The rf in should have the main virgin aerial going into it,  rf out sends the signal back out

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 4, 2013, 01:48:38 am »
Ah ok. I'll get the necessary connectors and give that a go then

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 4, 2013, 01:52:07 am »
What box's have you got? Do they have scart and hdmi?   Ill double check with my mate tomorrow to be sure

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 4, 2013, 02:11:49 am »
http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1229852-virgin-media-hd-box-rf-out-questions.html

Have a read through this,  pretty sure you will need a modulator

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 4, 2013, 02:12:31 am »
The box in my room is a hd box with both scart and hdmi. The one in the kids room is a few years old vbox. That has a scart, no hdmi. That's the one I'm trying to connect to. All I want is the channels that are in my room, in his room simultaneously

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 4, 2013, 02:18:45 am »
http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1229852-virgin-media-hd-box-rf-out-questions.html

Have a read through this,  pretty sure you will need a modulator

Had a brief read there. I'm not fussed, and would probably prefer not to be able to switch channels from my kids room.

Does the magic eye thing work with virgin like it does with sky? I've already got one of them from when I was with sky

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 4, 2013, 09:19:58 am »
Had a brief read there. I'm not fussed, and would probably prefer not to be able to switch channels from my kids room.

Does the magic eye thing work with virgin like it does with sky? I've already got one of them from when I was with sky

according to the forums it should

Im not sure to be honest

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 4, 2013, 01:01:30 pm »
Anyone know where exactly the IR reciever is on the front of a V+ HD box?

Online sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #110 on: January 5, 2013, 09:42:51 pm »
I'm moving to a cable area next week and looking at my options it's either Sky Broadband at an estimated 5mb or go to Virgin Media on 30mb. Am I right in thinking that I should get the full speed from Virgin considering it's cable or is there a chance I'll get nowhere near that because of the exchange, cabinet or cables? I had a look for a speed checker for Virgin but couldn't find one.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 5, 2013, 09:47:23 pm »
I'm moving to a cable area next week and looking at my options it's either Sky Broadband at an estimated 5mb or go to Virgin Media on 30mb. Am I right in thinking that I should get the full speed from Virgin considering it's cable or is there a chance I'll get nowhere near that because of the exchange, cabinet or cables? I had a look for a speed checker for Virgin but couldn't find one.

No its still up to 30mb, ive got the xl 100mb broadband, the most I have had is about 70mb, that was wired though

Just done a speedtest on my phone (wireless) and got 29mb

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 5, 2013, 09:52:38 pm »

I think I have the up to 60mb package and run at about 33mb most of the time. It's still dependent on a number of factors.

Online sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 5, 2013, 09:52:55 pm »
No its still up to 30mb, ive got the xl 100mb broadband, the most I have had is about 70mb, that was wired though

Just done a speedtest on my phone (wireless) and got 29mb

I'd be quite happy with over 10mb to be honest, I've never had more than 6mb anywhere with my other broadband providers. Any idea where I can get an estimate of what I'd get?
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 5, 2013, 10:08:02 pm »
It isn't dependent on distance from an exchange like ADSL is. I'm on 100Mb and get pretty much 100Mb most of the time. The things that normally affect it are upstream utilisation issues in your area, but that's not something I've ever been affected by. Even when you are Virgin are normally on top of it and get them sorted reasonably quickly.

Online sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 5, 2013, 10:15:51 pm »
It isn't dependent on distance from an exchange like ADSL is. I'm on 100Mb and get pretty much 100Mb most of the time. The things that normally affect it are upstream utilisation issues in your area, but that's not something I've ever been affected by. Even when you are Virgin are normally on top of it and get them sorted reasonably quickly.

Thanks that's great. Virgin it is then, saves on getting BT out to connect a phone line as well. Home is a new build with the Virgin cables right outside the door already but no phone line.

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #116 on: January 5, 2013, 10:22:52 pm »
I'm just waiting for upload speed increase now... Would be nice to stream in 1080p.
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2013, 08:06:35 pm »
Seems like they've finally doubled our speed here at least :)

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 3, 2013, 04:41:10 pm »
I've got a TiVo upgrade planned for this week. Are they going arrive and want to change my network set up at all? I'm still using one of their modems with my own router.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #119 on: March 3, 2013, 05:46:55 pm »
I've got a TiVo upgrade planned for this week. Are they going arrive and want to change my network set up at all? I'm still using one of their modems with my own router.

Can't see why they would, my dad's got TiVo and it's nothing to do with his modem (which is upstairs), just plugs some cables in the back like a normal V box.