Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 125190 times)

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #120 on: March 3, 2013, 05:51:30 pm »
phoned them up the other day to sort out our package, 30mb internet L tv package and L phone line we were paying £56 a month including line rental but adding on top all the charges for making day time calls it added up to on average £88 a month.

Phoned up to drop the tv package end up getting offered same internet basic tv package and the XL phone line (unlimited daytime evening and weekend calls) for £30 a month which included the line rental.

All in all saved about 760 quid over the year i reckon!

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #121 on: March 3, 2013, 06:15:20 pm »
phoned them up the other day to sort out our package, 30mb internet L tv package and L phone line we were paying £56 a month including line rental but adding on top all the charges for making day time calls it added up to on average £88 a month.

Phoned up to drop the tv package end up getting offered same internet basic tv package and the XL phone line (unlimited daytime evening and weekend calls) for £30 a month which included the line rental.

All in all saved about 760 quid over the year i reckon!

They're really good with retentions, my Dad's still on an insane deal he got when Virgin stopped showing Sky Sports News.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: March 4, 2013, 10:40:56 am »
They're really good with retentions, my Dad's still on an insane deal he got when Virgin stopped showing Sky Sports News.

I used to enjoy rinsing them every year through the Retentions department, but I think they've got a bit stricter recently. I rang up a couple of months ago to renegotiate on behalf of my parents, and could only secure a discount of a few quid.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: March 4, 2013, 10:48:59 am »
They haven't got stricter, they've just got wise to people's bluff and intentions. If you phone up and say you want a better deal then you'll get next to nothing, if you phone up and actually ask to disconnect your services then its a different ball game.

I've had the full Sky package including Sports / Movies / HD at around £35 a month for a couple of years now which is half price. Last year they tried to call the bluff but I called theirs and 24 hours before disconnection they phoned and offered the same.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: March 4, 2013, 12:22:11 pm »
when my contract is up i'm gonna see what they can offer me. right now i'm paying for 60meg broadband, evening and weekend calls, and XL tv with sky sports 1 and 2 pack but no films and no HD pack and i have a V HD box as an extra, comes to 93 quid, plus whatever calls i make which fall outside my phone offer. Sky are offering me a tv pack which includes everything except HD pack for 27 quid for 12 months, there line rental is cheaper albeit by 50p pm and for just an extra fiver i get unlimited calls 24/7, there sky fiber broadband which is 11 meg slower but its only 20 quid and probably have a better hub than virgin right now as the wireless is shocking on the SH.

i also get throttled on the downloads, especially when i access the PSN, i basically typically download 50-100 meg of data of say a 3gb demo like the new GoW. that much downloads in seconds, then after that they decide the rest of the download will take about 3 hours, which is very fair, this is even without accessing the internet all day so they can't even say i've been caining the usage at peak times. i once had to download a patch for Mass effect 3, it was about 70meg, it took about 8 hours.

Offline S7ARZ

• Legacy Fan
  • 25/05/05
« Reply #125 on: March 4, 2013, 12:50:28 pm »
Yeah I totally agree, Virgin's throttling levels are ridiculous. I have their student package and live with four housemates. So typically every day we use between 2-4GB of data. This is because we have three xbox consoles, five laptops and two desktop computers. With services such as Netflix and lovefilm there's no chance of any of us ever downloading or streaming something without interruptions as we get throttled at about 1GB of usage. Personally, I will never be using Virgin for internet again as we pay £38 a month for their awful service. Think I'll be settling with BT next year and just stick to FreeView for TV. 

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #126 on: March 8, 2013, 07:38:28 am »
will be interesting to see what they do with the XL package now BT are acquiring ESPN. ESPN has always been the big plus point for taking the XL package.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #127 on: March 8, 2013, 07:46:51 am »
when the Tivo offer came out i did a bit of negotiating and now have 3 boxes all connected one Tivo. one Vplus, one standard for me just for the sport mainly all three working well, much better than Sky because with it being cable not effected by the atmosphere and the weather this time of year.
Also have the broadband package which is good but could be better even witht he faster speed now, and the phone, my one worry right now as BT are buying the ESPN channels will this sports platform still be in the Virgin package other than the classic which is going anyway.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #128 on: March 8, 2013, 09:22:48 am »
I think they just need to set exclusions on certain sources not counting towards your throttle threshold. Things like WindowsUpdates, Linux sites, PSN, XBL etc. Downloading an *.iso from VMWare or VLM site from microsoft throttles me for the evening. And these are legit sites with legit software.

Just need to be sensible......

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 8, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »
Are they still using UK based tech support at all? I have a feeling the phone call I need to make is not going to be straight forward, but it would be a hell of a lot easier if myself and the person on the other end could understand each other.

Offline YoungKopite

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: March 8, 2013, 09:38:44 pm »
Got an email today saying they've upgraded my 20MB broadband to 60MB for free. Don't think the routing allows my home to even get those speeds, but nonetheless I'm chuffed! :D

Offline Dazz7

• Boys Pen
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2013, 06:17:28 pm »
after being with sky for about 3 years virgin started to come up with all these fibre optic broadband and tivo deals. quite liked the sound of the fibre optic so had a look at what they had to offer. switched ofer a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier! Broadband is miles better and TV isn't bad either. overall, Glad i switched over.

Offline Dazz7

• Boys Pen
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2013, 06:19:30 pm »
Got an email today saying they've upgraded my 20MB broadband to 60MB for free. Don't think the routing allows my home to even get those speeds, but nonetheless I'm chuffed! :D

i got the same e-mail. i've also kitted all my gear out to accomodate these new improved speeds. made up!  :D

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:57 pm »
Perfect example of virgin hammering you for downloading perfectly legitimate material here. Started downloading a 20gb file (Bf3) off origin at about 8pm. getting speeds of around 3-4 mbps and the download should be done in about an hour and half apparantly. Two and a half hours later i've returned to a 87 percent download in progress and speeds of 500kbps. That's just ridiculous.

Any chance of them putting in lettering that the top speeds you will get will only last about half an hour. Because it makes sweet fuck all difference to web browsing whether your on 10 meg or 100 but when your paying for a service and there end of the deal isn't being upheld...its a joke.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:30:24 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:46 am »
I don't know why that's taking so long, it's the same for me when just a couple of weeks ago I downloaded Simcity, a 12gb filer, in under 20minutes???

Offline Outlaw

• Main Stander
Re: Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2013, 09:09:29 pm »
Perfect example of virgin hammering you for downloading perfectly legitimate material here. Started downloading a 20gb file (Bf3) off origin at about 8pm. getting speeds of around 3-4 mbps and the download should be done in about an hour and half apparantly. Two and a half hours later i've returned to a 87 percent download in progress and speeds of 500kbps. That's just ridiculous.

Any chance of them putting in lettering that the top speeds you will get will only last about half an hour. Because it makes sweet fuck all difference to web browsing whether your on 10 meg or 100 but when your paying for a service and there end of the deal isn't being upheld...its a joke.

A 20gb file is pretty big to be fair. I'm not surprised you got you speed temporarily restricted. If you're getting 3-4mbps, you're probably on the 30mb service, which has restrictions you don't get on the higher end services.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »
A 20gb file is pretty big to be fair. I'm not surprised you got you speed temporarily restricted. If you're getting 3-4mbps, you're probably on the 30mb service, which has restrictions you don't get on the higher end services.

I pay for 60mb. The speed isn't unsurprising, a cheap wireless adapter coupled with the poorest wireless router ever conceived is to be expected, but I've mentioned the issue before when I've been downloading smaller files such as a couple of gigs, the first few hundred megs download at a good consistent rate But then whack!!!! Its like they put the brakes on.

Offline Outlaw

• Main Stander
Re: Re: Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2013, 10:31:22 pm »
I pay for 60mb. The speed isn't unsurprising, a cheap wireless adapter coupled with the poorest wireless router ever conceived is to be expected, but I've mentioned the issue before when I've been downloading smaller files such as a couple of gigs, the first few hundred megs download at a good consistent rate But then whack!!!! Its like they put the brakes on.

They do put the brakes on. It's their traffic management for heavy users. 20gb is a really big file. I'm a heavy user, on the same 60mb service, but its incredibly rare that I'll ever have my speed reduced. Even then, it is down to half speed now.

Here's more details on their policy. http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2781&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable#xl60

Offline YoungKopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2013, 11:21:53 pm »
i got the same e-mail. i've also kitted all my gear out to accomodate these new improved speeds. made up!  :D

Awesome :). I've noticed a significant difference in my download speeds. Hope it's going well for you too!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2013, 06:22:32 am »
Outlaw I know there supposed to reduce your speed mate but only of you hit 5gb and only reduce your speed by half. Its more than half and in some instances its not even when I've hit the 5gb threshold. There's also an incompatibility issue with the PSN that has been brought up a number of times in the VM forums and I've rang about it also and they acknowledge its a common problem but they also don't know how to fix it? Really that's piss poor. When I can fully utilise my connection and its stable wirelessly its great. But a lot of the time I can't.

Offline Outlaw

• Main Stander
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2013, 07:46:43 am »
Ah, if its happening before 5gb, or 10gb in the afternoon, you need to get onto them.

Personally, mine is rock solid. 61mb through wireless, virtually never traffic managed, no troubles with any service at all.

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2013, 06:35:45 pm »
Then you either lucky, or you just have to wait :)
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2013, 03:11:05 pm »
Annoying not to be able to use the Virgin Anywhere App on my IPhone. Due to my wireless hub not being in the same room as my tivo box, I have to buy a Powerline Adapter to connect them all together. Has anyone connected their tivo box through an adapter? If your box is in the next room then you can connect them using an ethernet cable but it doesn't help when your wireless connector is upstairs!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: April 4, 2013, 05:57:57 pm »
Just be lucky you don't get affected by High Utilisation..

Mine started in April 2012 - it has finally got fixed (and still isn't 100%) a week ago..

12months of 40% packet loss, speeds of 0.05mb from 12pm till 12am.. Basically unusable internet bar when I'm working or at 2am..

They just got bought out by some American company so hopefully will invest in the infastructure.. Adding double speeds and TIVO has crippled so many UBR's it's untrue.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 5, 2013, 12:36:23 pm »
did a wired speedcheck on this the other day and got 88 meg!! not bad at all

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2013, 10:01:44 am »
Spotify app now on Tivo

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2013, 11:13:21 am »
Spotify app now on Tivo

Hasn't it been on there for a while?

Offline chopperchittar

• Legacy Fan
  • Fellas, I'm ready to get up and do my thing
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2013, 02:06:34 pm »
Great mobile sim package   £15 per month unlimited calls, unlimited data, unlimited txt.   30 day sim only contract..
fit as a butchers dog!

Offline barneystuta

• Legacy Fan
    • This Is Analysis - Stories & Analysis about Liverpool Football Club
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2013, 02:51:10 pm »
Their twittet account just tweeted this.

RT @virginmedia @BTSport We're still in talks, as soon as we know anything more we will keep you posted. VP

It may come then... we will see.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2013, 06:27:01 pm »
We're currently with Virgin Media for our broadband (100mb), and have got the medium (free) tv package in our daughters room. However, we've been with Sky for ages for the television (switched after an engineer from VM told us that the reason for it being slow to change channels was our lightbulbs).

Unfortunately our Sky bill didn't go out last month, so we got cut off. Its been off for a while now (almost a couple of months). This morning we got a card through the door offering to wipe out our current debt if we signed up again, but because our box is knackered I expect I'd have to pay for it to be repaired anyway. That, and the fact we were paying almost £80 to Sky and £44 to Virgin Media means quite a bit of expense, and its quite annoying only being able to record one programme whilst watching one other (TiVo allows you to record 3 whilst watching a 4th), so we were already considering switching to Virgin Media.

I phoned Virgin Media earlier to see what deals they could offer. Got offered the 100mb broadband we're on now, plus their Premiere collection (over 200 channels, 500gb TiVo box, extra HD box for another room), plus all Sky Sports channels available to them for £96 per month (saving around £26 per month on what we're paying now). Plus he said he'd do free installation if I ordered today.

However when I phoned back a few hours later they said they couldn't do free installation and didn't know why I was told they could. I got put through to retentions who have given me free installation :)  However, I dropped my broadband from 100mb to 60mb and less Sky Sports channels (only really need Sky Sports 1 and LFC TV), got the price down to £78.49 per month, so total saving of about £44 per month, not bad.

Getting it installed next week :)
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2013, 07:17:51 pm »
Their twittet account just tweeted this.

RT @virginmedia @BTSport We're still in talks, as soon as we know anything more we will keep you posted. VP

It may come then... we will see.
The longer they leave it the more customers they'll lose. Just seems ridiculous how they can't agree a fee and this has been ongoing for 3 weeks now. I expect a major announcement a few days before our match. Surely they can't let it prolong once the season has started.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2013, 11:56:00 pm »
The longer they leave it the more customers they'll lose. Just seems ridiculous how they can't agree a fee and this has been ongoing for 3 weeks now. I expect a major announcement a few days before our match. Surely they can't let it prolong once the season has started.

I really doubt you will hear this week. I'm still hoping by end of Aug.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2013, 11:19:04 pm »
Great news that Virgin Media have come to a deal with BT Sport and are now showing their channels. Even greater that its included in the XL package I ordered last week. Even greater still I managed to get the old V+ box from our daughters room working downstairs (an engineer told us the error code meant it had "blown up" and would need replacing), and after a couple of calls with Virgin Media I managed to get all our channels switched on early (installation not until Wednesday) meaning I have BT Sport in time for tomorrows match :D

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2013, 11:30:08 pm »
excellent result, bt sports on the xl package. roll on 1245 this Saturday!!!!
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:25 pm »
Pretty good of BT, but I've a feeling that they are legally obliged to offer services to similar competitors. But hey, what does it matter it means more matches for me as I don't have Sky.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2013, 11:45:03 pm »
After beginning to look up Sky deals I was pleased last night when I found out about BT Sports & ESPN being free on the XL package of Virgin Media, winner!

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2013, 11:50:16 pm »
Off the subject of BT Sport, at the same time as upgrading our TV package with Virgin Media, I also downgraded our broadband from 100mb to 60mb, as I never got over 60mb anyway. Since doing so I've been getting regular speeds in excess of 75mb, and on one occasion hit of 90mb. Something seems to have got a bit mixed up somewhere.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2013, 09:16:22 am »
contract end soon, looking to renegotiate a deal. I've got

60MB broadband
XL tv
talk weekends
1 x tivo
1 x V+
Caller display

paying around £75 a month. Anybody had a new deal recently from those retention people?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:18:12 am by pazcom »
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2013, 11:04:22 am »
contract end soon, looking to renegotiate a deal. I've got

60MB broadband
XL tv
talk weekends
1 x tivo
1 x V+
Caller display

paying around £75 a month. Anybody had a new deal recently from those retention people?
I've just got the following off them:

Broadband: 60mb with their superhub
TV: 500mb Tivo, and their M+ package
Telephone: got their L package which includes talk weekend & evenings, 250 free International minutes a month (family live abroad)

All for a grand total of £35 a month for the next 24 months and I'm not tied into any contract and can cancel at any time with no termination fee.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »
I've just got the following off them:

Broadband: 60mb with their superhub
TV: 500mb Tivo, and their M+ package
Telephone: got their L package which includes talk weekend & evenings, 250 free International minutes a month (family live abroad)

All for a grand total of £35 a month for the next 24 months and I'm not tied into any contract and can cancel at any time with no termination fee.

looks good that, does it include line rental?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds