Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 309420 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #3080 on: December 24, 2021, 05:57:31 pm »
Fingers crossed for JWT.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3081 on: December 24, 2021, 05:58:34 pm »
Fingers crossed for JWT.
seems to be launching about lunchtime tomorrow! 

Makes you realise how long Hubble has been up for, decades of use.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3082 on: December 24, 2021, 06:08:36 pm »
Indeed. I was 11 years old when Hubble launched. Tonight, an old 40+ fart, I explained to my 11 year old daugher why she should be excited for James Webb launch tomorrow and keep her fingers crossed.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3083 on: December 24, 2021, 09:03:09 pm »
Indeed. I was 11 years old when Hubble launched. Tonight, an old 40+ fart, I explained to my 11 year old daugher why she should be excited for James Webb launch tomorrow and keep her fingers crossed.
I don't know if I'm as excited as you are, mate, but maybe I'm missing something in the big picture. Hubble offered a quantum leap in astronomy by eliminating the atmospheric influence. James Webb will have far better capabilities, of course, but it's not such a gigantic step forward. Hubble also is a modular frame, on which many instruments have been upgraded over time. (Fun fact, I work with the guy who came up with the solution for the WFPC-II contamination problem, he's now 82.) That was made possible with the shuttle missions because Hubble was in low Earth orbit (LEO). James Webb is going to the second Lagrangian point (L2). One can't go there to repair it or to change instruments. Maybe with future advanced robotics... And thinking back about how Goddard operates, how much mission experience they have, how much delays and extra money have been spent (from $600m to nearly $10b!), I just hope that the telescope has a few successful years. I'm not overly confident though...

Fingers crossed!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #3084 on: December 24, 2021, 09:29:45 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aICaAEXDJQQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aICaAEXDJQQ</a>
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3085 on: December 25, 2021, 09:18:25 am »
3 hours till launch, it's being live streamed of course.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3086 on: December 25, 2021, 10:02:13 am »
Really excited about this.

That Hubble deep image with the tons of Galaxies in that tiny spot was absolutely incredible.

I wonder what further mysteries and secrets this will reveal?
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3087 on: December 25, 2021, 03:40:42 pm »
Good launch. Good luck JWST, bring us answers.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3088 on: December 25, 2021, 11:40:42 pm »
Watched a few of this gal's videos, this one was amusing and relatable. Just goes to show how scientists are really just ordinary people ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YXjPgDol2jE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YXjPgDol2jE</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3089 on: December 26, 2021, 12:23:11 am »
Watched a few of this gal's videos, this one was amusing and relatable. Just goes to show how scientists are really just ordinary people ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YXjPgDol2jE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YXjPgDol2jE</a>

Well to be fair. Everyone is just a normal person.

Your job doesn't change your humanity

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3090 on: December 26, 2021, 12:57:39 pm »
Well to be fair. Everyone is just a normal person.

Your job doesn't change your humanity

Get a load of Mister Pedantic here ;D

Of course scientists are ordinary people - although the Sheldon Cooper trope is more accurate than some might believe! But there are plenty of people out there who will have cliches in their heads about science and scientists, and feelba bit divorced from it. This is just a lovely little video that bridges that gap a bit. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3091 on: December 27, 2021, 12:45:50 pm »

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3092 on: December 27, 2021, 06:47:20 pm »
Whether anyone is using it :-

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

I have been looking at this. Does anyone know why it shows on the distance completed counter over 27% yet it shows that webb is only on day 2 out of 30 before it reaches L2?.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3093 on: December 27, 2021, 10:22:51 pm »
I have been looking at this. Does anyone know why it shows on the distance completed counter over 27% yet it shows that webb is only on day 2 out of 30 before it reaches L2?.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because it will slow down due to gravitational influences and also relative to the Earth and Moon as it approaches L2.

Popcorn's Art

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3094 on: December 28, 2021, 05:25:17 pm »
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because it will slow down due to gravitational influences and also relative to the Earth and Moon as it approaches L2.

cheers, think you are right on that.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3095 on: December 28, 2021, 06:12:15 pm »
The environmental impact assessment for starship’s orbital flight won’t be completed until at least the 28th February… which is disappointing if I’m honest

First orbital flight looks like being April at the very earliest :(
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 06:15:51 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3096 on: January 2, 2022, 08:42:20 pm »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3097 on: January 3, 2022, 10:14:34 pm »
Sunshields deployed and the first tightened ….
W

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3098 on: January 4, 2022, 12:18:38 pm »
Lots of people who worked on it must spend lots of nights thinking, Oh God, did I tighten that screw

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3099 on: January 4, 2022, 05:18:45 pm »
Lots of people who worked on it must spend lots of nights thinking, Oh God, did I tighten that screw
Ha-ha, so true!... I used to do failure analysis for the Mars rovers starting with MER, most for MSL, but I tried to stay away from M2020. It is so rewarding and unrewarding at the same time... When we solve a problem it's great, you get that satisfaction (like pissing a bit in a black suit - gives you a nice warm feeling when while no one else notices). But when Curiosity was landing and the whole world was watching, you start thinking "Did we really fix the parachute issue? (last moment adjustments were not tested)", "Would the radar work long enough? (metal shards kill it in 1 hour, we needed 6-8 min), "Would the Sky Crane work? (we can't even test as we fly), "Would the wheels break on hard landing? (they bent in test), "Would the rover be healthy after landing? (one of its FPGAs was zapped), and the list goes on and on... Honestly, I could not enjoy the landing.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3100 on: January 4, 2022, 07:06:42 pm »
Every step must be murder …. So many parts to fail… until they see proper data coming to them,  they won’t sleep well.

But the got the tensioning done! And it’s now “just” the primary and secondary mirror and mirror segments to deploy.  Then the orbital burn and it’s done.

Would could be easier?
W

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3101 on: January 4, 2022, 08:22:51 pm »
Every step must be murder …. So many parts to fail… until they see proper data coming to them,  they won’t sleep well.

But the got the tensioning done! And it’s now “just” the primary and secondary mirror and mirror segments to deploy.  Then the orbital burn and it’s done.

Would could be easier?

All this little motors, switches, levers, joints etc, needed to unfold and set up the telescope. All absolutely critical devices - but they will only ever be used once.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3102 on: January 5, 2022, 07:02:48 pm »
Secondary mirror now in place!
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3103 on: January 8, 2022, 10:49:12 am »
Whether anyone is using it :-

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html
left wing of the mirror now open… right wing to come and then positioning of mirrors…
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3104 on: January 8, 2022, 04:40:49 pm »
left wing of the mirror now open… right wing to come and then positioning of mirrors…

I've been watching quite a bit of the NASA live channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X5lGlDOfg
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3105 on: January 8, 2022, 06:21:11 pm »
Full deployment achieved!

W

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3106 on: January 12, 2022, 10:14:05 am »
Full deployment achieved!

magnificent, 300 points of failure, all completed now. On its way to L2, so excited about this. I just want the first image already
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3107 on: January 12, 2022, 11:30:22 am »
Next in the list is mirror segments? thought it was all done?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3108 on: January 12, 2022, 01:02:31 pm »

You're right

Individual Mirror Segment Movements
Nominal Event Time: UPDATE: Launch + 18 days (Jan 12)

The primary mirror wings are now fully deployed and latched into place, but the individual mirror segments remain in their launch configuration. This operation is a multi-day multi-step activity to activate and move each of the 18 primary mirror segments (which are adjustable) out of their launch configuration. The primary mirror segments and secondary mirror are moved by six actuators that are attached to the back of each mirror piece. The primary mirror segments also have an additional actuator at its center that adjusts its curvature. The telescope's tertiary mirror remains stationary.

After all individual mirror segment deployments are completed, the detailed optical mirror alignment process begins which is about a 3 month process. In parallel, as temperatures cool enough, instrument teams will turn on their instruments and begin each instrument's commissioning process.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3109 on: January 12, 2022, 01:06:24 pm »
Yay, more stress :D

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3110 on: January 12, 2022, 05:36:06 pm »

I think after the mirror segments and jwst has reached L2 it will be 5 to 6 months or there about as they calibrate the instruments and await the right operating temperature. So first data should be around June.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3111 on: January 12, 2022, 05:45:37 pm »
Yeah, fine adjustments will take a while… more so when you’re millions of miles away from earth I guess.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3112 on: January 12, 2022, 08:53:13 pm »
The motors on each mirror are working perfectly..!
W

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3113 on: January 12, 2022, 11:47:53 pm »
People need to chill the fuck out. ;D

Commissioning will take several weeks.What matters is that everything is working. It will be months before the telescope is cold enough to deliver worthwhile data.

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3114 on: January 13, 2022, 09:41:30 am »
Roll on the Aliens :D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3115 on: January 17, 2022, 03:23:22 pm »
Not strictly space, but satellite view so..

Wowzers!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60019423

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3116 on: January 18, 2022, 09:01:36 pm »
People need to chill the fuck out. ;D

Commissioning will take several weeks.What matters is that everything is working. It will be months before the telescope is cold enough to deliver worthwhile data.
Needs to hurrry up 😅

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3117 on: January 21, 2022, 01:12:54 pm »
So everything has gone perfectly? That's some achievement! That far out too!!! So is the L2 Insertion difficult?

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3118 on: January 21, 2022, 02:06:01 pm »
dont think it should be difficult, it happens on sunday or monday right

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3119 on: January 23, 2022, 05:57:23 pm »
Anyone know what the first thing jwst is going to look at?