Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 309480 times)

Offline American_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA. JFT96.
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #200 on: August 8, 2012, 06:03:30 pm »
Is there any way the rover can pick up sound? It'd be interesting to hear if the planet sounds any different. Or if the curiosity says "Wall-E" at any point in time.
YNWA - JFT96. I have an unhealthy obsession with Xabi Alonso. Don't tell my girlfriend.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #201 on: August 8, 2012, 08:15:16 pm »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 8, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »
Despite the mind blowing, enormously staggering tak of getting a probe to mars and the wonder of the technology used to return them in such stunning detail......

Mars isn't the most intersting place to look at is it :(

I personally think some of them images are amazing and could look at them for ages
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #203 on: August 8, 2012, 08:36:36 pm »
For some reason I was expecting some large boulders spread across the landscape.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline ChiTownRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #204 on: August 8, 2012, 09:02:47 pm »

Are these from Curiousity? I thought they had a bunch of tests and things to do before they started actually moving around.
xbox live - un3elievable

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #205 on: August 8, 2012, 09:03:05 pm »

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #206 on: August 8, 2012, 10:30:12 pm »
Slightly OT but this week is a very good one for spotting the ISS passing overhead. Best time is just after sunset, just had a great view from Edinburgh, looks like a very bright star moving across the sky slightly faster than a plane.

Head to www.isstracker.com for a real time view of where it is just now, and for sightings in your area go to http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #207 on: August 9, 2012, 09:01:28 am »
I don't think this is from Curiosity.

All it needs is Luke Skywalker stood in the picture.

« Last Edit: August 9, 2012, 09:05:02 am by Trada »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #208 on: August 9, 2012, 09:16:43 am »
Sunrise/set on an alien planet...... Wow
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #209 on: August 9, 2012, 09:59:32 am »
I hope they manage to get a good picture of Mars's two moons
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #210 on: August 9, 2012, 10:52:09 am »
Just posting so I can see all the cool pics, keep them coming!
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: August 9, 2012, 11:34:43 am »

Its amazing how different in size the sun is on that picture.  Mind blowing.  Love that photo by the way.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #212 on: August 9, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »
The universe doesn’t often give us occasion to think about Charlie Sheen and NASA at the same time, but consider this: After landing its Curiosity rover on Mars early Monday, the space agency is not just in the midst of an impressive Hollywood-style rehabilitation, it’s also tearing up Twitter. And if it’s not quite on pace to match Sheen’s early record-setting accumulation of followers, the @MarsCuriosity feed, written in a lively first-person, has zoomed from fewer than 140,000 to more than 800,000 over the past four days.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/celebrity-news/social-media-blast-off-nasa/article4467917/

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: August 9, 2012, 04:15:10 pm »
Are these from Curiousity? I thought they had a bunch of tests and things to do before they started actually moving around.

Those images are from the Opportunity rover - you can tell from the solar panels in the image.  The Mars sunset image may have been taken by Sojurner but I'm not sure.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #214 on: August 9, 2012, 04:27:55 pm »

He'll need a quick trip to Tosche Station for some power converters soon though..
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: August 9, 2012, 05:28:58 pm »

Amazing picture. Surreal looking. It just goes to show how much science fiction films and art got right down the years. They usually gave sunsets on alien worlds a kind of supernatural blue haze just like it is in that picture. Incredible. If that doesn't spur the worlds governments on to pump more money into space programs, nothing will.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: August 9, 2012, 05:49:10 pm »
Here's a Curiosity self portrait.  Apparently a high res version will be following:

This image is from the descent camera, now 70cm from the ground:

Incidentally, this is a cracking link from Wikiipedia, explaining about how space looks like from the surface of other worlds in the solar system.  You will probably enjoy the Mars section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_skies

Popcorn's Art

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #217 on: August 9, 2012, 06:47:22 pm »
Anyone else checked out eyes on the solar system it's really good looking around the universe, replaying the landing and a sim of what is happening live. 

http://eyes.nasa.gov/

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: August 9, 2012, 11:36:00 pm »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: August 9, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »
This cut-out from a color panorama image taken by NASA's Curiosity rover shows the effects of the descent stage's rocket engines blasting the ground. It comes from the right side of the thumbnail panorama obtained by Curiosity's Mast Camera

This full-resolution image shows part of the deck of NASA's Curiosity rover taken from one of the rover's Navigation cameras looking toward the back left of the rover.

On the left of this image, part of the rover's power supply is visible. To the right of the power supply can be seen the pointy low-gain antenna and side of the paddle-shaped high-gain antenna for communications directly to Earth. The rim of Gale Crater is the lighter colored band across the horizon. The effects of the descent stage's rocket engines blasting the ground can be seen on the right side of the image, next to the rover.

Offline forrest1980

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #220 on: August 10, 2012, 12:11:27 am »
Here is an interesting question ( well I think so anyway ) :

Would you go to Mars and be the first man/woman to step on it even though you would only be able to survive underground for a year with supplies on the vehicle you landed there on ?????

After the year is up, you have no supplies so just die, all be it not painfully.
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw , don't support us when we win" - Bill Shankly.......the best quote the great man ever said.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: August 10, 2012, 12:18:11 am »

Would you go to Mars and be the first man/woman to step on it even though you would only be able to survive underground for a year with supplies on the vehicle you landed there on ?????

After the year is up, you have no supplies so just die, all be it not painfully.

If I was over 75, yes. Any time in the next 40 years, no

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2012, 12:55:41 am »

I'd go if I could only survive a day.

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2012, 02:17:34 am »

No way, after about a week it'd be boring as fuck and I'd go insane. I'd go for an hour then come back again.
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2012, 09:37:26 am »
I'm envious now... You guys are seeing the images before I do... I get them in work emails, but it's a hassle to receive the emails here (in a small village in Tanzania that's not on the maps). Thanks for posting!
-mzungu farawyred. ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2012, 09:38:40 am »
Well that was a big waste of time, there isn't even a Maccies up there.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:51 am »

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2012, 10:10:11 am »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2012, 10:25:19 am »
In the color picture above, look at the holes in the wheel of the rover. They spell JPL in morse code (reverse order so the the imprint is correct).
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2012, 08:41:21 am »
What does JPL mean?

Just found it. Pretty cool that
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:45:53 am by Barneylfc »

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2012, 08:42:50 am »
Well that was a big waste of time, there isn't even a Maccies up there.
Bet there's an Asda trolley though.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2012, 09:52:40 am »
Now You See an Impact Plume, Now You Don't

These alternating views taken by the Hazard-Avoidance cameras on NASA's Curiosity rover show evidence for an impact plume created when the rover's sky crane fell to the Martian surface. The sky crane helped the rover gently land on Mars before flying away and crashing in a planned maneuver.

The view flips between images taken about 45 minutes apart. The image taken earlier shows evidence for the "blob" thought to be the impact plume; by the time the later image was taken, the blob had disappeared.

These images are from the rover's rear Hazard-Avoidance cameras. They are one-quarter of full resolution (256 by 256 pixels).

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2012, 12:27:15 pm »
I'd go if I could only survive a day.

Too right. First man on Mars. They'd build statues of us. Mine would say "Fuck it. I'm going to Mars."
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2012, 01:47:24 pm »
Latest I've seen..

Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2012, 11:18:55 pm »
Congrats farawayred.

Job well done mate.  :wave

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2012, 11:15:32 am »

This color image from NASA's Curiosity rover shows part of the wall of Gale Crater, the location on Mars where the rover landed on Aug. 5, 2012 PDT (Aug. 6, 2012 EDT). This is part of a larger, high-resolution color mosaic made from images obtained by Curiosity's Mast Camera.

This color image from NASA's Curiosity rover looks south of the rover's landing site on Mars towards Mount Sharp. This is part of a larger, high-resolution color mosaic made from images obtained by Curiosity's Mast Camera.

Exposed by Rocket Engine Blasts

This color image from NASA's Curiosity rover shows an area excavated by the blast of the Mars Science Laboratory's descent stage rocket engines. This is part of a larger, high-resolution color mosaic made from images obtained by Curiosity's Mast Camera.
With the loose debris blasted away by the rockets, details of the underlying materials are clearly seen. Of particular note is a well-defined, topmost layer that contains fragments of rock embedded in a matix of finer material. Shown in the inset in the figure are pebbles up to 1.25 inches (about 3 centimeters) across (upper two arrows) and a larger clast 4 inches (11.5 centimeters) long protruding up by about 2 inches (10 centimeters) from the layer in which it is embedded. Clast-rich sedimentary layers can form in a number of ways. Their mechanisms of formation can be distinguished by the size, shape, surface textures and positioning with respect to each other of the fragments in the layers.

The images in this mosaic were acquired by the 34-millimeter Mastcam over about an hour of time on Aug. 8, 2012 PDT (Aug. 9, 2012 EDT), each at 1,200 by 1,200 pixels in size.

In the main version, the colors portrayed are unmodified from those returned by the camera. The view is what a cell phone or camcorder would record since the Mastcam takes color pictures in the exact same manner that consumer cameras acquire color images. The second version, linked to the main version, shows the colors modified as if the scene were transported to Earth and illuminated by terrestrial sunlight. This processing, called "white balancing," is useful for scientists to be able to recognize and distinguish rocks by color in more familiar lighting.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:18:28 am by Trada »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2012, 03:01:03 pm »
First high res mosiac of the crater... it's a big 'un!

Popcorn's Art

Offline American_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA. JFT96.
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2012, 02:16:33 am »
Am I the only one who thinks the picture that have the black frames, especially the above ones, are to hide certain parts of the photo? That last one certainly looks like someone crappily put black boxes on things they wouldn't want shown.

I'm not a conspirator, I swear, but why would there be a reason to block out certain parts of a picture of Mars?
YNWA - JFT96. I have an unhealthy obsession with Xabi Alonso. Don't tell my girlfriend.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2012, 02:45:33 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's because these kind of shots are mosaics - a large picture compiled from lots of smaller ones, typically done by professional and amatures when making a panorama. The 'black boxes' are simply parts of the panorama they haven't got a pic of so leaves a gap in the mosaic.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2012, 12:34:49 pm »
You look at images like these and it's a pretty humbling revelation.  Most of the stones and rocks you can see likely haven't budged more than a couple of millimetres in all of recorded human history...

Popcorn's Art